• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ep85

Although I like the most of the concepts where the screen is vertical, I doubt it will be oriented that way.

If they are pushing screen streaming why would they put the screen on the controller in the opposite orientation. I know you could theoretically develop a way for the game to be rescaled for the other orientation but that just seems backwards.

BY2K said:
Yes it does. Every single Wii comes packed in with a Nunchuck. Where the hell do you live?

Probably yours did because you bought a fucking bundle via Amazon or GameStop or some other retailer. The box itself doesn't include a Wiimote.

Pyrokai

Haven't checked in for a while. Anything new since yesterday?

And have we figured out how the motion is going to be implemented if the controller just looks like a standard one? :\

which1spink said:
Nintendo never shipped a single Wii including the Nunchuk. It was later bundled by some retailers, but the Wii itself never came with a Nunchuk. Not even the black "WiiRemote+" one.

*Images that tell us nothing*

???
Do you even own a Wii?

Eteric Rice

which1spink said:
Probably yours did because you bought a fucking bundle via Amazon or GameStop or some other retailer. The box itself doesn't include a Wiimote.

You're wrong, I never bought a bundle, I got mine the first month it launched, it had a nunchuk.

which1spink said:
Nintendo never shipped a single Wii including the Nunchuk. It was later bundled by some retailers, but the Wii itself never came with a Nunchuk. Not even the black "WiiRemote+" one.

41xM31QiwdL.jpg

414RVqAco4L._AA300_.jpg

???
lol. Both those boxes have nunchucks included.

I'm guessing you've never purchased a Wii then?

which1spink said:
You trolling?

Now it doesn't even include a Wiimote? Guess the store I bought the wii on Day one was nice enough to pack in a Nunchuck and a Wiimote.

which1spink said:
Keep digging lawl. See the nintendo link above you? MUST BE A GAMESTOP BUNDLE

just stop

which1spink said:
time for "i stand corrected"

AceBandage said:
Dunno if I'd include NSMBW in that list...

The gameplay obviously wouldn't have been compromised in any way on a more conventional controller, but no, I don't think it would have had the same mass-market appeal without the simplicity of the Wii Remote.

Koren

which1spink said:
Sounds about right, except the fucking fact YOU'RE COMPLETELY WRONG :)
I've yet to see a single Wii sold without a Nunchuck. Am I wrong?

Given that most (all?) pack-ins require a nunchuck, that would be retarded.

which1spink said:
Point was, they've never packed it in the Wii box no matter how cheap/useless they were.
Yes, but the game development is identical if the players have a shell or haven't. It really doesn't matter.

The only example is the classic controller, but even with the classic controller and the GC controller support, there's not so many games that really use it in a different way than an alternate control scheme.

which1spink said:

Bought mine in launch month, at Best Buy, and the nunchuck came inside the box. You are delusional.

-PXG-

which1spink said:

Hate to break it to you, but some dude in a trench coat you met from Craigslist isn't an authorized seller of Nintendo products.

Pyrokai

which1spink said:

You are very wrong, sir. All Wiis come with one nunchuck. End of story.

elrechazao said:
My wii didn't have a physical media drive. The wii disc player only comes in BestBuy preorder bundles.

Tell me about it, I had to scour 10 different Gamestops to get the Gamestop exclusive Wii-AC Adapter, so I could finally play it after getting my base console from a Saturn, the video cable from a Media Markt, and had to import the Nunchuck from amazon.com.

lol, that's a bit harsh I guess. No offense intended.

Doorman

This entire page is hilarious.

I can see Nintendo launching with a new controller and saying "But you can all still use your Wii Remotes on it, too!" But EatChildren is right. The "core" developers that they're supposedly trying to court will by and large ignore that in favor of just using whatever's the closest option to duel analog. They haven't wanted to make that shift in thinking the whole generation.

Which is a shame, because I really wanted a top-class third person shooter on Wii the whole generation and I'm not sure I ever got it.

Freezie KO said:
Totally agree. A new remote would need more buttons. I suggested four bean-shaped buttons around an A button that is actually a clickable analog slider a la 3DS. But if we got more buttons, I'd be more than content with a Remote/'Chuk version 2.0 (or 3.0 if you consider the Wiimote Plus).
My ideas differed a little from yours, but I made a concept image and explanation of some of my decisions. However, since it's more fantasizing than anything actually related to these rumors (other than the "Better than Move!" thing), I'll just link to it. Wiimote/Nunchuk Plus Plus.

Stream Controller takes the place of Classic Controller/pro, also ships with Wiimote 2.0 + Chuck 2.0 also comes packed in. Backwards compatible with Wiimote/Chuck/CC, but only for GC games and select titles that support it (since the new version has added precision, fancy shit in the chuck, and more buttons).

All three components are sold separately for subsequent controller. Everybody is happy. Most shooters support Dual Sticks and Pointer controls standard.

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

1-D_FTW

Father_Brain said:
But they do do Wii Sports, Wii Fit, NSMBWii, and other titles whose appeal never could have been duplicated on a conventional dual-analog controller.

NSMBWii could probably benefit just as much (if not more) from a touchscreen as the pointer. Wii Fit came with a balance board for a reason. It wasn't a massive success because it utilized the Wiimote, it was because of the balance board. Wii Sports obviously could only be done with the Wiimote. But they'll be a launch game that could only be done on this new controller. And in the year 2011, what are they abandoning there? Kinect has clearly passed them in that genre (like it or not).

So the only practical thing they're giving up with this shift is the superior FPS controls (which the Horse and Buggy "hardcores" refuse to adopt.)

which1spink said:
At least the bullshit I said screams for a tag, huh? ;)

People who say this usually get the one tag they don't want.

Doorman

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Stream Controller takes the place of Classic Controller/pro, also ships with Wiimote 2.0 + Chuck 2.0 also comes packed in. Backwards compatible with Wiimote/Chuck/CC, but only for GC games and select titles that support it (since the new version has added precision, fancy shit in the chuck, and more buttons).

All three components are sold separately for subsequent controller. Everybody is happy. Most shooters support Dual Sticks and Pointer controls standard.

I WANT TO BELIEVE.
Data-streaming...Chuck...Oh my god. It all makes sense now.

Nintendo has created the Intersect.

286qpf6.jpg

Hiro

Banned
I have two questions for 'AceBandage', if I may. Firstly, do you believe/think that Project Cafe will be significantly superior in terms of graphics as compared to the PS3 and Xbox360 (or as I like to call it, the PS360)?

My second is, do you believe/think that Project Cafe will be unveiled publically come Monday/Tuesday (25th or 26th, depending on where you are geographically)?

Hiro said:
I have two questions for 'AceBandage', if I may. Firstly, do you believe/think that Project Cafe will be significantly superior in terms of graphics as compared to the PS3 and Xbox360 (or as I like to call it, the PS360)?

My second is, do you believe/think that Project Cafe will be unveiled publically come Monday/Tuesday (25th or 26th, depending on where you are geographically)?

1. Yes, though it completely depends on what you mean by "significantly". The 3DS is a significant leap over the PSP, but many feel that it isn't. All signs point to it being far more capable than the PS3/360 in every regard.

2. Working on the assumption that this device exists (which is all but confirmed), then yes. Nintendo will announce this system on Tuesday. How much, though, is an unknown. More than likely, we'll get a name. Maybe a look at the controller. Beyond that, it's purely wishful thinking. E3 will be the first true display of the console to the public.

Effect

ThoseDeafMutes said:

I WANT TO BELIEVE.
This would be THE ideal situation. I just don't want Nintendo to drop the Wii remote design. Only way I can play console FPS decently.

1-D_FTW said:
NSMBWii could probably benefit just as much (if not more) from a touchscreen as the pointer. Wii Fit came with a balance board for a reason. It wasn't a massive success because it utilized the Wiimote, it was because of the balance board. Wii Sports obviously could only be done with the Wiimote. But they'll be a launch game that could only be done on this new controller. And in the year 2011, what are they abandoning there? Kinect has clearly passed them in that genre (like it or not).

So the only practical thing they're giving up with this shift is the superior FPS controls (which the Horse and Buggy "hardcores" refuse to adopt.)
The thing is, with the right type of split hand setup, you might lose nothing versus a traditional gamepad. In which case having all the old possibilities + pointer + dual accelerometer/gyro is a definite improvement. Plenty of traditional games worked OK on gamepad and OK on wiimote/nunchuk, and could work even better on devices that put more of their advantages together. Things just not doable on Kinect.

plainr_ said:

Exactly what I was thinking, and the only compromise between the two controller styles that make sense to me given that it's Nintendo we're talking about (just make the stick clicky or spit the trigger to make it a trigger/bumper combo so you have the A button for BC). Remember, 01net said there would be the equivalent of Wii's sensor bar, which means that there will be pointer control, the question is how it will be implemented. I highly doubt Nintendo is going to bundle in a secondary controller (something that they haven't done since the NES and the Zapper), but I could totally see them doing a combined controller scheme like this.

EatChildren said:
I'm not worried about the controller being comfortable and useful, I'm worried that Nintendo will backtrack on the pointer and motion controls because a bunch of whiny bitches couldn't live without shitty dual analogue, and refuse to accept any control pad that isn't a brick.

It's jumping the gun to draw any conclusions at this point, but I absolutely do not want another fucking brick pad as the standard, not when the split controller design is so much more comfortable and makes brilliant use of the pointer.

Everything that could be accomplished with a second analogue stick and more buttons can still be attached to a split controller system that still uses a pointer. If they've joined the two parts back together and stuck a screen in a middle I wont give a rat's arse how comfortable it is. It would, quite literally, be for me the most disappointing hardware move Nintendo had ever done. More than the Wii's weak horsepower, more than their shitty online, more than crappy C-stick, D-pad and Z button on the GCN pad, more than anything.

I cant wait to learn more, because I want any and all concerns I have to be made redundant. I want to know Nintendo are not devolving the controller to appease to those who refuse to move on.

It may have been mentioned in this thread already, but I would like to see something where the standard is the split design. However instead of how some mock ups only have the Wiimote detachable, both the Wiimote and Nunchuck would be detachable.

The Wiimote and Nunchuck (probably wouldn't be a "Nunchuck" anymore once you get rid of the cord between them) would be revamped and both would have an analog stick on them. The Nunchuck side would also be revamped to be more like the Wiimote, improving on what the Move does. Then the shell would just be the screen. No buttons, other than at least a power button, would be on the screen shell. When you need (or want) to use the screen you attach both sides into it to get the "Dreamcast with an Ipad on it" look. The screen would also draw its power from the controllers attached into it.

I suck at artistic things so I can't do a mock up of how that would look so I hope the description is good enough.

bgassassin said:
It may have been mentioned in this thread already, but I would like to see something where the standard is the split design. However instead of how some mock ups only have the Wiimote detachable, both the Wiimote and Nunchuck would be detachable.

The Wiimote and Nunchuck (probably wouldn't be a "Nunchuck" anymore once you get rid of the cord between them) would be revamped and both would have an analog stick on them. The Nunchuck side would also be revamped to be more like the Wiimote, improving on what the Move does. Then the shell would just be the screen. No buttons, other than at least a power button, would be on the screen shell. When you need (or want) to use the screen you attach both sides into it to get the "Dreamcast with an Ipad on it" look. The screen would also draw its power from the controllers attached into it.

I suck at artistic things so I can't do a mock up of how that would look so I hope the description is good enough.
This seems like a nice compromise but I can't imagine any way that it wouldn't look like ass.

Cow Mengde said:
I think I found some new leaked pictures of the controller!

1Xkog.jpg

Bad memories reoccurring. My mother had a horrible habit of giving my things to younger cousins and this was one of the casualties. He promptly lost them when I had every intention of keeping them. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom