• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
EatChildren said:
I'm not worried about the controller being comfortable and useful, I'm worried that Nintendo will backtrack on the pointer and motion controls because a bunch of whiny bitches couldn't live without shitty dual analogue, and refuse to accept any control pad that isn't a brick.

It's jumping the gun to draw any conclusions at this point, but I absolutely do not want another fucking brick pad as the standard, not when the split controller design is so much more comfortable and makes brilliant use of the pointer.

Everything that could be accomplished with a second analogue stick and more buttons can still be attached to a split controller system that still uses a pointer. If they've joined the two parts back together and stuck a screen in a middle I wont give a rat's arse how comfortable it is. It would, quite literally, be for me the most disappointing hardware move Nintendo had ever done. More than the Wii's weak horsepower, more than their shitty online, more than crappy C-stick, D-pad and Z button on the GCN pad, more than anything.

I cant wait to learn more, because I want any and all concerns I have to be made redundant. I want to know Nintendo are not devolving the controller to appease to those who refuse to move on.

Completely agree. I really hope E3 brings me good news stating the Wii Remote standard will be kept, and perhaps improved upon. ^_^

RurouniZel said:
Completely agree. I really hope E3 brings me good news stating the Wii Remote standard will be kept, and perhaps improved upon. ^_^

other than improved motion controls (would the average consumer even notice?) what would be improved? a rechargeable battery would be nice.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
From The Dust said:
other than improved motion controls (would the average consumer even notice?) what would be improved? a rechargeable battery would be nice.

More accurate controls (Motion + is pretty damn accurate, but slight tweeks would never go unappreciated), an analogue stick on the remote along with the nunchuck's analogue so that the duel-analogue crowd can finally STFU on this one, rechargable battery as you mentioned.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RurouniZel said:

Better button placement, tighter motion technology (if required), more refined pointer (if possible, wireless connect to the nunchuck (not that it's overly necessary), etc. An analogue stick on the Wii remote itself might be useful.

Anything really. I like the idea of a tablet controller but I'd perfer it to be a peripheral or extra rather than integral to the design. I cannot fathom how a split Wii-esque controller could also use a tablet.

EatChildren said:
Anything really. I like the idea of a tablet controller but I'd perfer it to be a peripheral or extra rather than integral to the design. I cannot fathom how a split Wii-esque controller could also use a tablet.

jTGFI.jpg

I'm going to shut up about this now, but I don't think there's anything unfathomable about it.

Jocchan said:
I'm obviously not suggesting they're going to do this. I'm just saying it's how I'd expect Nintendo to approach such a problem (supporting up to 5 screens), and it's the reason why I'm not really convinced by this whole matter.

It's stating the obvious but a 4-player 5 screen game would only involving something close to what a 4 player split screen game already does, plus another screen, maximum.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AceBandage said:
The tablet controller will be the main controller for the system.
The Wiiremote will still be useable, though.

And not being the main peripheral is why it will be under used and suck ass. Split controller pointer should be the goddamn standard.

I am really not looking forward to this at all.

Graphics Horse said:
http://i.imgur.com/jTGFI.jpg
I'm going to shut up about this now, but I don't think there's anything unfathomable about it.

So what? This proves that tablets exist?

I want a controller similar to the Wii remote; sleek, comfortable, and split in design. There is no room anywhere on that for a 6" tablet, or anything close. The controller would have to be completely redesign and likely lose functionality in favour of something else.

I dont care if there's a seperate tablet peripheral that maybe connects, but I dont want a large screen integrated into the main controller. The idea that Nintendo would back track on the Wii remote's design is astoundingly stupid in my opinion.

EatChildren said:
And not being the main peripheral is why it will be under used and suck ass. Split controller pointer should be the goddamn standard.

I am really not looking forward to this at all.

There are 86 million Wiis in the world.
The Wiimote already has a huge userbase to use.

EatChildren

AceBandage said:
There are 86 million Wiis in the world.
The Wiimote already has a huge userbase to use.

This doesn't mean shit in the long run. If it isn't the main controller developers will, by large, completely ignore it.

EatChildren said:
I dont care if there's a seperate tablet peripheral that maybe connects, but I dont want a large screen integrated into the main controller.

Maybe they're after a different market. Just buy a Move and stop whining. ;)

While everyone argues about what kind of graphical leaps to expect. please consider that Microsoft and Sony launched their technology with huge losses this generation and they are unlikely to repeat that cycle again. This is why their lifecycle has to last 10 years. Regardless of sales figures, it is still all about revenue and the Wii has been very profitable. I think the latest console to be released will always be more powerful but I don't expect the graphical leaps to be that big.

EatChildren

Graphics Horse said:
Maybe they're after a different market. Just buy a Move and stop whining. ;)

The neanderthal market maybe. Move can suck a fuck, as there's no software there to warrant buying it for me. I hate this idea that Nintendo are willing to disrupt the market with an inventive step forward in controller design, and now there's even the slightest chance they'll go back to bricks, with a friggen screen stuck in the middle of all things.

If you think my whining is bad now wait until this shit is actually confirmed. "Nintendo to appeal to the core gamer by being like everybody else".

EatChildren said:
The neanderthal market maybe. Move can suck a fuck, as there's no software there to warrant buying it for me. I hate this idea that Nintendo are willing to disrupt the market with an inventive step forward in controller design, and now there's even the slightest chance they'll go back to bricks, with a friggen screen stuck in the middle of all things.

If you think my whining is bad now wait until this shit is actually confirmed. "Nintendo to appeal to the core gamer by being like everybody else".

I really don't think that's the case at all.
Just like it wasn't the case that Nintendo is trying to appeal to just the casual with the Wii.
What they are doing is making concessions to third parties by including a more standard controller and better hardware.
Nintendo will still do their own thing and probably completely encourage use of the Wiimote.

1-D_FTW

Graphics Horse said:
Buy a PC that can run dolphin? Wait for up-rezzed Wii games on Cafe? I don't know.

Do people actually use that, though? I'm convinced people only play games long enough in Dolphin to take screenshots and that's it.

I've got the PC to run it, a bluetooth adapter, but getting the Wiimote to register was always some ridiculously convoluted process I could never solve. And then when I looked at the compatibility list, it seemed like only a couple games worked flawlessly anyways.

plainr_ said:
While I think this is one of the best mockups so far (I like the "mirrored" one a bit better though, for personal reasons), wouldn't this design render the touchscreen obsolete when using the detached Wiimote?

Imagine holding the Wiimote in your right hand an the tablet in your left, how are you supposed to use the touchscreen (even when it comes to "secondary" tasks like menus or inventars)?

One could say "Well, while you're using the Wiimote the tablet isn't used" but then how would you sell a $120 controller to casual gamers when they don't even need it? Selling both separate wouldn't make sense and won't happen since the developers would have to create two different version for each game: One that uses the shell, buttons and touchscreen and one that's not. No way Nintendo would like to split their demographic like Microsoft did with Kinect.

I want to believe that they will still have the remote in the box. it was just too good to throw away. prolly why I resent the sceen part of the rumor dispite liking it at the same time

1-D_FTW said:
Do people actually use that, though? I'm convinced people only play games long enough in Dolphin to take screenshots and that's it.

I've got the PC to run it, a bluetooth adapter, but getting the Wiimote to register was always some ridiculously convoluted process I could never solve. And then when I looked at the compatibility list, it seemed like only a couple games worked flawlessly anyways.

I played NMH2 on Dolphin all the way through.
The speed hacks made it run at a stable 30FPS the entire time.
It was AWESOME.

EatChildren

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Oh, please, tell me EatChildren, how exactly does one suck a fuck?

Not the Easter Bunner I was expecting.

AceBandage said:
I really don't think that's the case at all.
Just like it wasn't the case that Nintendo is trying to appeal to just the casual with the Wii.
What they are doing is making concessions to third parties by including a more standard controller and better hardware.
Nintendo will still do their own thing and probably completely encourage use of the Wiimote.

They've done a terrible job of doing that with the MotionPlus so I dont expect them to do it with any other optional controller. This is the same company that is quite happy to introduce all manner of peripherals and extras, use them once, then leave them to die.

You have more optimism than me. The way I see it if Nintendo are going to push this radical new controller they will do so through most of their own software. It doesn't mean such software wouldn't control well, or lack a unique touch, but it does mean they will have abandoned an unfinished concept still ripe with potential.

Fingers crossed I'm completely wrong. This is one case where I'd happily eat a bucket of crow.

methodman

Banned
EatChildren said:
This doesn't mean shit in the long run. If it isn't the main controller developers will, by large, completely ignore it.
They already ignore it. It's cool that you want nintendo to keep focusing in on the wii mote plus nunchuck, but 3rd parties have obviously not liked developing for the thing. Suddenly they will start with a newer console? I don't see it

Jocchan said:
It's not hypocritical, since the leap from PS2 to Xbox was not marginal. The Xbox was objectively a far more capable machine, as shown by its exclusives. If anything, it boils down to what you mean by marginal. If you're using it as "anything less than a full generation leap", then I guess we could say it's marginal. If you're not, then hell no :)

It does matter, actually. Even if you're not a fan of 3D, it does change how a game looks and you can't just pretend its impact on performance is zero.
Your PS2-Xbox comparison really is underselling the jump from PSP to 3DS, since what we've seen of the 3DS seems to suggest that it's better than the Xbox in most areas except pushing polygons, while the PSP isn't even half as capable as the PS2 in anything. The leap from PS2 to Xbox WAS marginal in comparison.

Wolves Evolve said:
They will include both, I think.
Like they did with the Nunchuk, the classic controller, the zapper, etc.?

So you really think they pack in one that's probably 10 times more expensive than the mentioned above? Really?

EatChildren said:

Sticking an analog stick on the wiimote would cause most developers to simply ignore it being anything more than a standard controller. I'm really not convinced that making the controller a standard Wiimote *again* is going to invigourate 3rd parties into making new, innovative games, and you've not seen any that take your fancy on Move.

which1spink said:
Like they did with the Nunchuk, the classic controller, the zapper, etc.?

So you really think they pack in one that's probably 10 times more expensive than the mentioned above? Really?
Every Wii sold comes with a nunchuck. It's always been that way.

A lot of Wiis in Japan had CC Pro bundles too.

1-D_FTW

EatChildren said:
Not the Easter Bunner I was expecting.

They've done a terrible job of doing that with the MotionPlus so I dont expect them to do it with any other optional controller. This is the same company that is quite happy to introduce all manner of peripherals and extras, use them once, then leave them to die.

You have more optimism than me. The way I see it if Nintendo are going to push this radical new controller they will do so through most of their own software. It doesn't mean such software wouldn't control well, or lack a unique touch, but it does mean they will have abandoned an unfinished concept still ripe with potential.

Fingers crossed I'm completely wrong. This is one case where I'd happily eat a bucket of crow.

Well they don't do FPS games, so they probably don't consider it a big loss.

Considering third parties like EA, Activision, Valve can't be bothered to add support for Move, I'd say third parties don't want it and the couch lying zombies and their necessary auto-aim have won.

Honestly, if you throw out the FPS genre, you probably can replace all pointer functions with the touch screen (and maybe even do it better).

So I think it's not outrageous to be pessimistic, the Horse and Buggy crowd cried their way to victory on this one.

I need to go play San Andreas again, I almost finished that game using a tablet resting on my knee. Controlling the planes was a nightmare, but everything else was good :)

AceBandage said:
Also, the Zapper?
That and the Wheel were pretty much useless. They were pretty much just aesthetic...

Seriously. If you're insane enough, you can play most games using either the zapper or Wii wheel.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Every Wii sold comes with a nunchuck. It's always been that way.

Sounds about right, except the fucking fact YOU'RE COMPLETELY WRONG :)

edit:
AceBandage said:
Also, the Zapper?
That and the Wheel were pretty much useless. They were pretty much just aesthetic...
Point was, they've never packed it in the Wii box no matter how cheap/useless they were.

Squarenix.. Dragon quest 10.. Supposedly going ahead for Wii.. yet we've seen nothing.. Wouldn't that make a killer launch title in japan to move systems!

lets hope nintendo works out a sick deal and that indeed happens.. great way to get a high user base instantly..

which1spink said:
Sounds about right, except the fucking fact YOU'RE COMPLETELY WRONG :)

When?

edwardslane said:
Squarenix.. Dragon quest 10.. Supposedly going ahead for Wii.. yet we've seen nothing.. Wouldn't that make a killer launch title in japan to move systems!

lets hope nintendo works out a sick deal and that indeed happens.. great way to get a high user base instantly..

DQ goes to the system with the largest userbase.

which1spink said:
Nintendo never shipped a single Wii including the Nunchuk. It was later bundled by some retailers, but the Wii itself never came with a Nunchuk. Not even the black "WiiRemote+" one.

...What?
What alternate reality to you exist in?
Every single Wii came with a Nunchuck...

1-D_FTW said:
Well they don't do FPS games, so they probably don't consider it a big loss.

But they do do Wii Sports, Wii Fit, NSMBWii, and other titles whose appeal never could have been duplicated on a conventional dual-analog controller.

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Where are you from so I can haz such ladiez?

The 90s. Heather Locklear. 90210.

Father_Brain said:
But they do do Wii Sports, Wii Fit, NSMBWii, and other titles whose appeal never could have been duplicated on a conventional dual-analog controller.

Dunno if I'd include NSMBW in that list...

which1spink said:
Nintendo never shipped a single Wii including the Nunchuk. It was later bundled by some retailers, but the Wii itself never came with a Nunchuk. Not even the black "WiiRemote+" one.
My day one launch unit came with one. You realize you actually need the nunchuck for some of the Wii Sports games, right?

BY2K

Membero Americo
which1spink said:

41xM31QiwdL.jpg

414RVqAco4L._AA300_.jpg

???

Yes it does. Every single Wii comes packed in with a Nunchuck. Where the hell do you live?

which1spink said:

[

???
lol? This nunchuck I got bundled inside my launch wii must be fake!!!!

Eteric Rice

which1spink said:

Dude, I bought my Wii the first month it came out.

It had a nunchuk.

which1spink said:

Really, what are you smoking. The Packaging of every wii bundle released so far included

Booklets...
Console
Stand
Power Cable
Composite Cable
Sensor Bar
Wiimote
Nunchuck

which1spink said:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41xM31QiwdL.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414RVqAco4L._AA300_.jpg[IMG]

???[/QUOTE]
[url=http://www.nintendo.com/wii/console]
What Comes With The Wii?

[LIST]
[*]Wii Sports
[*] Wii Sports Resort
[*] One Wii Remote Plus™ controller
[*] One Nunchuk™ controller

[*] Sensor Bar
[*] Standard composite cable