• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

bgassassin said:
It may have been mentioned in this thread already, but I would like to see something where the standard is the split design. However instead of how some mock ups only have the Wiimote detachable, both the Wiimote and Nunchuck would be detachable.

The Wiimote and Nunchuck (probably wouldn't be a "Nunchuck" anymore once you get rid of the cord between them) would be revamped and both would have an analog stick on them. The Nunchuck side would also be revamped to be more like the Wiimote, improving on what the Move does. Then the shell would just be the screen. No buttons, other than at least a power button, would be on the screen shell. When you need (or want) to use the screen you attach both sides into it to get the "Dreamcast with an Ipad on it" look. The screen would also draw its power from the controllers attached into it.

I suck at artistic things so I can't do a mock up of how that would look so I hope the description is good enough.

Mentioned early on and kind of abandoned. Doesn't seem to line up with the rumors and it makes an already expensive controller even more expensive to manufacture. Don't think anyone would be against this though. Best of both worlds.

Ulairi

Banned
which1spink said:
Probably yours did because you bought a fucking bundle via Amazon or GameStop or some other retailer. The box itself doesn't include a Wiimote.

Admit it, you never bought a Wii.

CoffeeJanitor said:
This seems like a nice compromise but I can't imagine any way that it wouldn't look like ass.

Not necessarily since it could be done similar to plainr's mock that some here seem to like.

1-D_FTW said:
Mentioned early on and kind of abandoned. Doesn't seem to line up with the rumors and it makes an already expensive controller even more expensive to manufacture. Don't think anyone would be against this though. Best of both worlds.

Figured it had been since the fake scan makes an appearance every now and then still. I'm definitely not going to act like I'm familiar with the production cost side, but it's definitely tough to believe any method based on the rumor is going to be "cheap" as long as there is a screen involved.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm hoping the touchscreen rumor is bs. I would love a wireless nunchuck with an analog and more buttons on the wiimote. K.I.S.S......keep it simple stupid!!

Gvaz

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
30 fps is 20% better than 24fps as shown there. I'm perfectly happy with it, and most people don't notice unless they're doing like a side-by-side comparison.
If you can't notice 30fps or 60fps then you aren't looking hard enough. One is a ton more fluid than the other, it's just very obvious.

AzureNightmare said:
you spout the term "tesselation" as if it were some kind of resource, like RAM. You discredit yourself with your own ignorance. Tesselation is not what you think it is.

Edit: Do your homework before you decide to spout some more of your stupidity.
Tessellation to me is just extreme bumpmapping.
rUNUj.gif

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Graphics Horse said:
It's stating the obvious but a 4-player 5 screen game would only involving something close to what a 4 player split screen game already does, plus another screen, maximum.
Depends on what is shown in the main screen, actually. In such a scenario (not impossible, the 4XXX series does support dual 1080p output after all), we don't know if both screens (TV and the one split in 4 for streaming) would be able to show gameplay at the same time efficiently (still probably doable). It's also likely that devs willing to do it would render at lower res too.

nincompoop said:
Your PS2-Xbox comparison really is underselling the jump from PSP to 3DS, since what we've seen of the 3DS seems to suggest that it's better than the Xbox in most areas except pushing polygons, while the PSP isn't even half as capable as the PS2 in anything. The leap from PS2 to Xbox WAS marginal in comparison.
Yes, the gap is probably going to be wider. I found the comparison fitting mostly because of the additional capabilities the Xbox GPU had.

Gvaz

Banned
which1spink said:
Nintendo never shipped a single Wii including the Nunchuk. It was later bundled by some retailers, but the Wii itself never came with a Nunchuk. Not even the black "WiiRemote+" one.

???
Wrong. Mine came with one. I bought mine in 2008 or so.

Woffls

Can we get some absolute clarification on the Investors Conference times? I'm unreasonably excited for this, even though we won't get much solid information to talk about. I think we'll be able to cement some current ideas, though.

What I'd like to know is if there will be some sort of domestic livestream with someone (Trinen?) narrating in English over the conference, or if it will be only on Nintendo's Japanese website.

Nintendo surprised us with a GDC livestrean, and these Investor Meetings are always translated into English on Nintendo's US website, so I have some hopes here.

swerve

Doc Holliday said:
I'm hoping the touchscreen rumor is bs. I would love a wireless nunchuck with an analog and more buttons on the wiimote. K.I.S.S......keep it simple stupid!!

Why not wait until you see what they have come up with before hoping either way?

You are basing your hopes on the interpretations of excitable journalists who are working from career-protectingly vague comments made by devs who want to show off that they know stuff/are excited, but don't want to get fired/sued.

swerve

Woffls said:
Can we get some absolute clarification on the Investors Conference times? I'm unreasonably excited for this, even though we won't get much solid information to talk about. I think we'll be able to cement some current ideas, though.

I'm yet to see any official confirmation of a live stream or any time (but they are usually mid-afternoon Japan time). Nintendo's investor relations page says they are putting out their earnings release on Monday 25th April.

So the info about an event on Tuesday must have only been distributed to investors or somesuch? (It is normal for there to be two days of presentations, with the Q&A and additional details on the second day).

BY2K

Membero Americo
Some people here are clearly lying about seeing a single boxed Wii in their lives.

Seriously, where the fuck does my Nunchuck comes from!? Where am I!?

swerve

Lupin the Wolf said:
Apparently this post by antonz is the source for the notion that it's livestreamed at all:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27290846&postcount=14310

antonz, can you tell us where you got that info?

EDIT for clarity and with greater understanding: Nintendo Investor Relations says that the *info* comes out on Monday. The presentation will therefore likely be Tuesday. No mention of video but here's hoping!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

NIghtWolf

Hmm, not to flame or anything but I'm not that excited about the 6 inch controller and its usages. Besides being able to stream a game I can't think about of anything else a 3DS couldn't do working as an integrated device (yeah disarm bombs etc). Even a psp2-ps4 could bring that kind of integration (not the stream-able part) It's true that the controller comes with the console and will get more support from devs yet I dunno if is gonna be worth if they do increases the price that much. Another thing is that two different controllers seems like too much for devs. Unless they make a bundle with a wiilike mote only and another with wiilike and 6inches controllers and that would be bad for the market/support.

They still gotta show that secret feature, my hopes are still up for that, lets see what happens.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Damn, you guys are right!

Nintendo DID include the other half of their Wii controller in the box. When I removed my Wii from the box and went for the wiimote, I totally overlooked the hole RIGHT next to it with a plastic-wrapped nunchuck inside!!

Silly me. I'm sure it happened to almost everybody else...... right?

:p

Luigison

For those forgetting that the Wii came with a nunchuck I can see where your coming from. My mother-in-law left it in the box thinking it was useless and I had to point out where it went when my daughter wanted to play a Disney princess game.

I have always thought that nunchuck's abilities should have been in the Wiimote so that you'd use two untethered Wiimotes for things like Wii boxing. I know it doesn't go specifically with the rumors, but here's my idea presented in a quick and dirty MS Paint hack of someone else's posting.

The Wiimotes are identical and don't require a seperate nunchuck, but lose some funtionality such as the Z trigger. They have L and R shoulder buttons/triggers. The Analog control is a cross between an analog stick and a spring loaded slider that marries the best of the d-pad and analog stick control.

The X,Y,B,&A buttons are in the SNES or Super Famicom position. To eliminate the upside down writing they could go with the Super Famicom blue, green, red, and yellow coloring and maybe give the big A and number buttons the SNES purple or light purple. Or not. Has the SNES appearance been confirmed or is it still just rumor?

m.i.s.

Banned
Has this been thrown out here for discussion? -

The Stream controller comes in a rectangular form-factor held in the landscape orientation for gaming and has controls on the bottom of the unit with the physical controls sliding out (like PSP Go) when required.

This also has the added benefit, like the DS/i and lite, of even being held in a portrait orientation for built in instruction manuals, ebooks etc. when gameplay controls are not required.

I don't know how comfortable or practical it would be though to use the touch screen which is above the controls. Any PSP Go owners (or other users who've used a similar device with slide out controls) like to chip-in?

Gvaz

Banned
Luigison said:
I have always thought that nunchuck's abilities should have been in the Wiimote so that you'd use two untethered Wiimotes for things like Wii boxing. I know it doesn't go specifically with the rumors, but here's my idea presented in a quick and dirty MS Paint hack of someone else's posting.
That would be so awkward, you'd be taking a device made to be held in one hand and now hold it in two. Defeats the purpose.

There is no way with one hand you could press those buttons without it being awkward.

Luigison said:
For those forgetting that the Wii came with a nunchuck I can see where your coming from. My mother-in-law left it in the box thinking it was useless and I had to point out where it went when my daughter wanted to play a Disney princess game.

*picP

The Wiimotes are identical and don't require a seperate nunchuck, but lose some funtionality such as the Z trigger. They have L and R shoulder buttons/triggers. The Analog control is a cross between an analog stick and a spring loaded slider that marries the best of the d-pad and analog stick control.

The X,Y,B,&A buttons are in the SNES or Super Famicom position. To eliminate the upside down writing they could go with the Super Famicom blue, green, red, and yellow coloring and maybe give the big A and number buttons the SNES purple or light purple. Or not. Has the SNES appearance been confirmed or is it still just rumor?

This was essentially the idea I was saying except the other Wiimote wouldn't be upside down.

Luigison said:
I have always thought that nunchuck's abilities should have been in the Wiimote so that you'd use two untethered Wiimotes for things like Wii boxing.
Yeah. Analog and second shoulder to the wiimote, and a pair of them are very powerful. I even made a pair of quicky ugly mockups about 5 years back, though they're definitely pretty far from uhh, perfect.

Also, looking at that which was based off the early early wiimote shots, it's interesting how much changed. In the old shots the A button was bigger, B button didn't curve, the top of the wiimote flared back out, power button is shaped differently, 1/2 are a/b, the lights at the bottom look rectangular rather than square, no speaker yet... think that's about it, other than the Wii name not being there yet.
Gvaz said:
That would be so awkward, you'd be taking a device made to be held in one hand and now hold it in two. Defeats the purpose.
?? The original wiimote was designed with one- and two-handed holding in mind.

Neiteio

Cow Mengde said:
I think I found some new leaked pictures of the controller!

1Xkog.jpg
What the hell is that Megazord made from? A rhino, a bull, a black bird, an octorok, a lion...?

Back in my day, we had dino Zords, son.

Neiteio said:
What the hell is that Megazord made from? A rhino, a bull, a black bird, an octorok, a lion...?

Back in my day, we had dino Zords, son.

That's Predaking, the combined form of the G1 Transformers known as the Predacons. He's formed from a Lion, Tiger, Eagle, Bull, and Rhino (Razorclaw, Rampage, Divebomb, Tantrum, and Headstrong repectively). He was released in 1986, son.

Manmedaz

BY2K said:
Some people here are clearly lying about seeing a single boxed Wii in their lives.

Seriously, where the fuck does my Nunchuck comes from!? Where am I!?

I'd even add that you need a Nunchuk to play Wii Sports Boxing, which is included with the console since day 1, so why would they omit to add a Nunchuk in the box, really... ?

Pimpbaa

Lonewolf_92 said:
That's Predaking, the combined form of the G1 Transformers known as the Predacons. He's formed from a Lion, Tiger, Eagle, Bull, and Rhino (Razorclaw, Rampage, Divebomb, Tantrum, and Headstrong repectively). He was released in 1986, son.

I don't even know what the fuck a megazord is. Anyway, it looks like it should have been an autobot considering it's colors.

Dascu

GDGF said:
These two threads are cannibalizing each other's posts.
It's like you can watch the same stuff going on in two threads. As if it were streaming the content of one topic to another.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
GDGF said:
These two threads are cannibalizing each other's posts.

I don't understand why the other one is open again when the info has been added to this one anyway. Especially as the other thread still doesn't have rumour slapped all over it, which is all it is. Rumours.

It's better having all the discussion of the rumours in one place, especially as most of the discussion is the same thing in both threads.

Luigison

Luigison said:

bgassassin said:
This was essentially the idea I was saying except the other Wiimote wouldn't be upside down.

I meant to say in that post that the Wiimotes could be inserted either way to accommodate righty and lefties; as well as, to use together like a classic controller playing a game on the screen. I also considered removing the part on the top and bottom of each side to make it better to use with a single or no Wiimote which would be better for single handed or separate handed play.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
So from Nintendo making the controller less intimidating and more recognisable to people, we are now getting mock-ups with 22 buttons, 2 analog sticks and a touchscreen sat in the middle suffering from claustrophobia.

Yeah.

DECK'ARD said:
So from Nintendo making the controller less intimidating and more recognisable to people, we are now getting mock-ups with 22 buttons, 2 analog sticks and a touchscreen sat in the middle suffering from claustrophobia.

Yeah.
Exactly. Some of these mock ups are emberrassing.

bidaum

DECK'ARD said:

Yeah.
Agreed, and if you ever detached the two wiimotes you'd have some awkward handlebars sticking out of that touchscreen.

DECK'ARD said:

Yeah.

+3

There is just no way they will be doing this - regardless what IGN says.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
mentalfloss said:
+3

There is just no way they will be doing this - regardless what IGN says.

Yeah, I'm of that opinion as well.

I think it's all been born out of people taking Iwata's comments in January too literally, 3DS connectivity, and wishful thinking about what could be possible without actually thinking about the difficulties of implementation or the logical problems that come with it.

None of it fits together in a compelling way, and the Wii 2's angle will be compelling. That's what Iwata was talking about in January, making the console experience as compelling as possible. He even defined the console experience at the end as people looking at the same television sharing the experience. Making that experience distinctive, unique and accessible enough to draw people away from other forms of entertainment will be their aim.

They threw out a touchscreen controller with the Wii because it diluted that experience, and made it too similar to a handheld one. They aren't going to do it this time round either.

watershed

Banned
Someone mentioned in one of the twin threads the idea of the controls sliding out like the pspgo or something. I think this might be an interesting idea because with the controls slide in the screen would act as the main controls which is easy to understand for "casual" gamers and not intimidating. I'm not saying this is what its gonna be but it is a way to remove the cluttered appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom