• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

I see jibber-jabber in here about a new Smash Bros. Way too early, I say. Once Skyward Sword and Kid Icarus are out, they, along with Kirby's Epic Yarn, DKCR, the Galaxy games, etc, will mean quite a few Nintendo titles have seen upgrades. But we still haven't had a new F-Zero. Or Star Fox. Or Pikmin. There are too many franchises that should see an update before the "State of the Union Address" that is a new SSB. Not to mention the fact that Nintendo hasn't made any prominent new character-driven IPs from which an SSB could draw characters.

Then again, a new SSB could simply tap more characters from existing Nintendo properties, like Geno, K. Rool and Ridley... and/or more third-party franchises as well, like Mega Man. All this being said, Sakurai is likely tied up with Kid Icarus Uprising at the moment, so maybe a new SSB isn't underway yet, anyway.

Hero of Legend said:
!!!

IGN never said that actual Cafe games would be playable on the controller, just "games", for all we know it could just be for N64 and below, MAYBE GC and Wii if we're lucky, and I'd imagine the res being 640x480; native for GC and Wii, double-res for all lower consoles (or even 3x-4x for SNES and NES, which ever so it's not a blurry kind of blowing up.

where is the fun in that???

f the core concept is streaming games to it, then the console will do all the heavy lifting

that core concept is BORING

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gibon3z said:
I hope the controller is good, a solid controller is extremely important.
Can't help but wish Nintendo and Sony would just swallow their pride and copy this controller design.

http://www.walyou.com/img/xbox-360-controller-recovers-stolen-console.jpg[IMG]

Fix the dpad and call it a day.[/QUOTE]

But Nintendo's already made a better controller:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WercT.jpg

Switch the d-pad and left analogue stick and call it a day.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Starchasing said:
i thin it will have a small screen and biometrics

That is by far the most likely one if a screen is in there, if they didn't dump the Vitality Sensor research for being useless.

A personal screen to relay personal information to the player, from a controller that is also gathering that information.

Emitan

Andrex said:

WercT.jpg

No, it's perfect. Add "clicking sticks" and make the face buttons a bit larger and the CC Pro is the best controller ever.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
gibon3z said:
I hope the controller is good, a solid controller is extremely important.
Can't help but wish Nintendo and Sony would just swallow their pride and copy this controller design.

http://www.walyou.com/img/xbox-360-controller-recovers-stolen-console.jpg[IMG]

Fix the dpad and call it a day.[/QUOTE]
So Nintendo would copy a controller that is a direct copy of the Dual Shock, which is a direct copy of the SNES controller?

Nintendo already made the ultimate dual sticks controller, it's called the Classic Controller Pro.

And the Wii controller + Nunchuk is infinitely superior to anything with dual sticks (which is in essence a useless controller, useful for everything, perfect for nothing). Just fix the ergonomics of the Wiimote, and they are done.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hero of Legend said:
!!!

IGN never said that actual Cafe games would be playable on the controller, just "games", for all we know it could just be for N64 and below, MAYBE GC and Wii if we're lucky, and I'd imagine the res being 640x480; native for GC and Wii, double-res for all lower consoles (or even 3x-4x for SNES and NES, which ever so it's not a blurry kind of blowing up.

I'm beginning to think people in this thread have actually forgotten the 3DS exists.

Neiteio

So guyz, what are some ways biometrics could work on this new controller? Do we have technology where simply holding the controller grips could measure your pulse? Or would we need like a slot on the back where stick our index finger?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Billychu said:
No, it's perfect. Add "clicking sticks" and make the face buttons a bit larger and the CC Pro is the best controller ever.

No, add rumble and wireless and concave X and Y and it'd be perfect... for classic games. As the main controller, the analog stick needs to be in the proper spot.

DECK'ARD said:
That is by far the most likely one if a screen is in there, if they didn't dump the Vitality Sensor research for being useless.

A personal screen to relay personal information to the player, from a controller that is also gathering that information.

going by the valve comments it seems like biometrics is a gold mine

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Neiteio said:
So guyz, what are some ways biometrics could work on this new controller? Do we have technology where simply holding the controller grips could measure your pulse? Or would we need like a slot on the back where stick our index finger?

Not overly familiar with it, but think you can do pulse by a grip. Which would suit the remote obviously.

Simple but interesting extension of that as well would be a thumbprint reader on the remote so it identifies the user, and then sets up the system and games accordingly. A very Nintendo way of having different user accounts and logging-in, plus automatic parental controls.

Making a more personal connection between the user and the remote, and giving feedback about that person, would be a more interesting use of a screen than making the controller just a dumb-handheld. It would also be a natural extension of the Wii's speaker, copying Mii data to it etc.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Neiteio said:
I see jibber-jabber in here about a new Smash Bros. Way too early, I say. Once Skyward Sword and Kid Icarus are out, they, along with Kirby's Epic Yarn, DKCR, the Galaxy games, etc, will mean quite a few Nintendo titles have seen upgrades. But we still haven't had a new F-Zero. Or Star Fox. Or Pikmin. There are too many franchises that should see an update before the "State of the Union Address" that is a new SSB. Not to mention the fact that Nintendo hasn't made any prominent new character-driven IPs from which an SSB could draw characters.

Then again, a new SSB could simply tap more characters from existing Nintendo properties, like Geno, K. Rool and Ridley... and/or more third-party franchises as well, like Mega Man. All this being said, Sakurai is likely tied up with Kid Icarus Uprising at the moment, so maybe a new SSB isn't underway yet, anyway.
Do you even know the insane amount of work that a new SSB game needs to be released? The games are insanely balanced, it's like you've never read the giant blogs Sakurai made for previous SSB games...

Also, they need to update all models, the game needs to have a consistent look (you can't just copy/paste characters from other games).

As you said, Sakurai is busy with KI, so until he finishes that, there is no SSB; also, there isn't a SSB team at Nintendo; SSBB was made mostly by Game Arts; Nintendo would have to make a new team to develop a new SSB game.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Andrex said:

WercT.jpg

Needs analog triggers for driving games etc.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Graphics Horse said:
3DS is only for virtual handheld and the occasional remake. Or do you think they should be blurring the boundaries more?

Playing games on a handheld device is best done by a standalone handheld.

I mean seriously, how on earth are you going to sell your new HD console by saying you can play old games on it's controller but just can't leave the house with it.

It's all completely nonsensical, from this talk to the game-streaming talk. The focus of Nintendo's first HD console will be your HD television, and the resources will go to the console not the controllers because cost versus performance will be paramount. As it always is with Nintendo.

Deku

Banned
DECK'ARD said:

I mean seriously, how on earth are you going to sell your new HD console by saying you can play old games on it's controller but just can't leave the house with it.

It's all completely nonsensical, from this talk to the game-streaming talk. The focus of Nintendo's first HD console will be your HD television, and the resources will go to the console not the controllers because cost versus performance will be paramount. As it always is with Nintendo.

Right but I think the days of the clearly delineated console/portable spheres maybe over.

Even if they swear up and down that Apple is not a competitor, the iPad experience of portability of content from the lower resolution iphone and the fact they allow a new demographic to purchase/access content available on another device makes sense.

My most radical suggestion is that it will support 3DS games. But failing that, I can see some sense in portability of the digital content between the 3DS and the Wii2 with the controller being the main interface for 3DSware titles, and the 3DS itself being able to play some Wii2 digital titles, or perhaps some Wii2 titles will have a 3DS app

Luigison

I think I've taken this way too far, but it was fun to make.

Edit: Of course the Wiimotes can be used separately like the current Wiimote and Nunchucks. And the touch screen can be used by itself like and iPad.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Bidermaier said:
is that controller easy to connect to a PC? do I need a wii controller? I would LOVE to play trackmania with that dpad.
The Dpad is not that good though... It's the same as the DS Lite (I like it, but fingers get tired, and it gets squishy or something...)

Neiteio

manueldelalas said:
Do you even know the insane amount of work that a new SSB game needs to be released? The games are insanely balanced, it's like you've never read the giant blogs Sakurai made for previous SSB games...

Also, they need to update all models, the game needs to have a consistent look (you can't just copy/paste characters from other games).

As you said, Sakurai is busy with KI, so until he finishes that, there is no SSB; also, there isn't a SSB team at Nintendo; SSBB was made mostly by Game Arts; Nintendo would have to make a new team to develop a new SSB game.
Yes, I know all this. I was among the legions of diehards staying up way past bedtime waiting for Japan Time to update Sakurai's blog. :) I refer to the off-chance Sakurai has his hands in two kitchens at once, which we as outsiders may think is not possible but really, who knows.

M74

Starchasing said:
going by the valve comments it seems like biometrics is a gold mine
And yet it's the one thing these leaky developers have not let on about, so it's probably not there.

Valve am disappoint.

Neiteio

M74 said:
And yet it's the one thing these leaky developers have not let on about, so it's probably not there.

Valve am disappoint.
On the other hand... We've had a few Leaky McLeakersons say there's another "huge secret" not yet revealed... which could very well be the Super Saiyan Vitality Sensor, thereby explaining its MIA on Wii... HMMM.

DECK'ARD said:
Their home system will be a system for the home for people to play games on at home. That's all it boils down to. They're not making games as a way of pushing new TVs to people.

antonz

The new controller concept really satifies both sets of gamers they want to.

The Dudebro get their twin sticks etc back and the non dudebro will get their motion controls,touch controls etc

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Graphics Horse said:
Their home system will be a system for the home for people to play games on at home. That's all it boils down to. They're not making games as a way of pushing new TVs to people.

Except this actually goes against what Iwata said. He said there are simpler forms of entertainment competing with consoles, and it is their job to make the console experience unique enough and compelling enough for them to want to play a console game on a television with the richer experience and benefits that gives.

He even defined console experience at the very end as people sat around looking at the same television, and this was only in January. I really think all these rumours have cropped up from people taking Iwata too literally.

Nintendo compete by differentiating, not only from others but also their own products. They want you to own both, each offering something different from the other, and each offering something different from rival companies.

I think everything is just way off base so far, or there is a VERY big part of the jigsaw missing.

Red Bull RB5

Neo Member
poppabk said:
Needs analog triggers for driving games etc.

This. Not having analog triggers is an instant "fuck you" to all developers of racing games. If Nintendo is serious about regaining 3rd Party support they need those triggers.

Besides that I still don't see how this is the best Controller:
-NO RUMBLE!
-stupid position of first analog stick
-not wireless

Xbox 360 Controller > all.

Hiltz

The Wii controls are quite comfortable. However, the NES-style control scheme could be better. The stupid wrist trap gets in the way and the 1 and 2 buttons should have been bigger.

DECK'ARD said:
and it is their job to make the console experience unique enough and compelling enough for them to want to play a console game on a television.
And said building a system for HD tv wouldn't be enough. Enjoy sitting with the family checking each other's blood oxygen level on your HDtv. You're on to a winner there.

Hiltz said:
The Wii controls are quite comfortable. However, the NES-style control scheme could be better. The stupid wrist trap gets in the way and the 1 and 2 buttons should have been bigger.

I was hoping they will make this wireless and more precise. :( The reason why i love this controller more than anything else is the hand freedom. The It is very easy to hold and two hands are apart. The conventional controller both hands are tied all the time.

watershed

Banned
crazy monkey said:
wii-remotes.jpg

Most comfortable to hold controller ever. My favorite of all time. All time.

If Nintendo made some tweaks like both controllers have an analog, two triggers/shoulder buttons like the nunchuck and maybe some more buttons like the gamecube's face button layout and you've got gold. Throw in some biometrics and make the two controllers wireless. That's all I want from the next Nintendo controller set up.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
supabrett said:
I laugh at the ones saying they wont buy this. If you're posting in this thread regularly you will buy it.

It's like that guy that got pissed off when Popeye's ran out of chicken saying he'll never come back. I'd bet my life he went back soon after.

who is the girl in your avatar?

crazy monkey said:
wii-remotes.jpg

Most comfortable to hold controller ever. My favorite of all time. All time.

QFT.

Microsoft should tie two nunchucks together, add trigers and a line of low profile buttons where the fingertips go. Then you will have the perfect evolution of the dual analog standard.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Graphics Horse said:
And said building a system for HD tv wouldn't be enough. Enjoy sitting with the family checking each other's blood oxygen level on your HDtv. You're on to a winner there.

Of course just having Nintendo's next console being HD won't be enough, Nintendo more than anyone knows that, but you can sure as well bet it's the focus of what you are looking at. In HD. Because Iwata defines the console experience as being the television.

Disconnecting the family from each other by having them look at separate screens is going against his definition of a console experience, and they've already rejected it once in the past with their current console.

Nintendo's new idea will be novel, use technology in a way that hasn't been used like that before, and create a unique experience because of it. And chances are no one so far has guessed it. Every one of the rumours is something that has been done before, not only on other platforms like RemotePlay but also on their own with the DS and 3DS.

The one thing Nintendo will do is surprise us, nothing so far is surprising apart from how un-Nintendo it all is.

M74

I still don't follow you guys who want a second analog on the remote, not just on the attachment. Isn't the whole point of the IR remote to replace the need for a second analog? Not to mention, replacing the d-pad with a second analog would weaken its capabilities while held in classic controller position for most games.

mj1108

Not sure if anyone else has said this, but if the controller is anything close to the mockups I fear for what the price of extra controllers will be.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Starchasing said:

Yeah, Valve's talk is very interesting and compelling.

But depends a lot on how many forms of bio-feedback can be incorporated easily into a console. Pulse is easy, and fits a new remote far better than the Vitality Sensor contraption, but other things Valve were doing like pupil-size couldn't be done in a Nintendo way.

Even pulse though could be a nice little extra feedback and applied in games well, whether it's in there depends on how their experiments with the Vitality Sensor went. It either disappeared from view because its applications were limited, or that it turned out more compelling than they thought and they've held it back for a new console. Like the Wii was born.

dvolovets

I didn't realize the Wii Remote was that well-liked. I dunno about you guys, but I'd take the GCN pad or the 360 controller over the Wii Remote any day.

watershed

Banned
M74 said:
I still don't follow you guys who want a second analog on the remote, not just on the attachment. Isn't the whole point of the IR remote to replace the need for a second analog? Not to mention, replacing the d-pad with a second analog would weaken its capabilities while held in classic controller position for most games.

I think IR pointer is great for fps but there are others who want dual analogs instead and including them would help a great deal in attracting 3rd parties and "hardcore" gamers. Also 3d platformers or other genres in general benefit from having the 2nd analog control the camera.

Even in the mario galaxies which had great autocams I still occasionally wanted to move the camera myself. Imagine splinter cells or metal gear games, they all need a 2nd analog for camera control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom