• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitokage said:
pain_zpsc3cd8fb1.jpg

Wait, really? I guess I don't hold mine right then, that never happens to me. Try wearing the condom :lol

M74 said:
I still don't follow you guys who want a second analog on the remote, not just on the attachment. Isn't the whole point of the IR remote to replace the need for a second analog? Not to mention, replacing the d-pad with a second analog would weaken its capabilities while held in classic controller position for most games.

Console FPS gamers won't buy a console without dual analog controls. End of story.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
M74 said:
I still don't follow you guys who want a second analog on the remote, not just on the attachment. Isn't the whole point of the IR remote to replace the need for a second analog? Not to mention, replacing the d-pad with a second analog would weaken its capabilities while held in classic controller position for most games.

Analog on the remote would be a bit redundant, and it's counter-intuitive when using the remote for pointing.

I'd much rather they focus on improving the pointing, which is already good anyway but easily improved. More tracking points on the sensor bar to distinguish between false positives better, higher res camera (not so important, but might be so with the move to HD), and most importantly a wider angle lens on the camera so it can keep the sensor bar in sight more.

Dual-analog games can be adapted well enough, and play better as well. They are easy enough to adapt for 3rd parties not to be worried, it's not a deal breaker like Wii being SD versus HD was.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Green Scar said:
Wait, really? I guess I don't hold mine right then, that never happens to me. Try wearing the condom :lol
The sleeve helps but doesn't fix the problem. My lower palm still hurt after sessions of MKWii.

DECK'ARD said:
Yeah, Valve's talk is very interesting and compelling.

But depends a lot on how many forms of bio-feedback can be incorporated easily into a console. Pulse is easy, and fits a new remote far better than the Vitality Sensor contraption, but other things Valve were doing like pupil-size couldn't be done in a Nintendo way.

Even pulse though could be a nice little extra feedback and applied in games well, whether it's in there depends on how their experiments with the Vitality Sensor went. It either disappeared from view because its applications were limited, or that it turned out more compelling than they thought and they've held it back for a new console. Like the Wii was born.

I have been just looking around for biometric tech... and it looks like its not ready for use, unless nintendo spins it around using something older

Deku

Banned
Green Scar said:

picture is held to show off the buttons. If you line up the controller just like the picture, your thumb won't be able to reach the D-pad, it will just hit the A button.

M74

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Console FPS gamers won't buy a console without dual analog controls. End of story.
Even though the IR pointer is vastly superior (when well programmed)? What a ridiculous reason, to build in redundancies like that.

watershed

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
Dual-analog games can be adapted well enough, and play better as well. They are easy enough to adapt for 3rd parties not to be worried, it's not a deal breaker like Wii being SD versus HD was.

For a lot of gamers no dual analog is an immediate deal breaker for certain games. They still might buy the system and Nintendo 1st party games but they won't buy the next COD on the N6 if it doesn't feature dual analog controls, they'll just buy it on the 360 or PS3 instead. And if Nintendo is interested in helping out 3rd parties they would include dual analogs or gamers will look elsewhere for certain multi-platform titles (the most popular being fps).

Krowley

artwalknoon said:
I think IR pointer is great for fps but there are others who want dual analogs instead and including them would help a great deal in attracting 3rd parties and "hardcore" gamers. Also 3d platformers or other genres in general benefit from having the 2nd analog control the camera.

Even in the mario galaxies which had great autocams I still occasionally wanted to move the camera myself. Imagine splinter cells or metal gear games, they all need a 2nd analog for camera control.

I really liked the wiimote for a lot of things, but I don't do a lot of my gaming sitting in a chair. I'm usually lounging on my bed, laying on my side, and pointer functions were often very inconvenient from that position.

At one point I actually had a separate seating arrangement for wii games, and this worked all right, but then I moved to a new house and the layout didn't work that well anymore. Playing MP3 was a real pain in the ass because of the emphasis on pointing and my preferred gaming environment.

the pointer just made my position relative to my TV way too important in some games. Still, I thought it really added something to the gaming experience in a few games, and it works really well, but I won't miss it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:
Why are you holding the remote like that for Mario Kart...
1. Nunchuk is superior to all other forms of control.
2. I have larger than average hands.
3. I'm constantly holding down A.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
artwalknoon said:
For a lot of gamers no dual analog is an immediate deal breaker for certain games. They still might buy the system and Nintendo 1st party games but they won't buy the next COD on the N6 if it doesn't feature dual analog controls, they'll just buy it on the 360 or PS3 instead. And if Nintendo is interested in helping out 3rd parties they would include dual analogs or gamers will look elsewhere for certain multi-platform titles (the most popular being fps).

Even my mates who love COD hate dual-analog controls, they are just a necessity to play the game they like. They've all moaned about how long it took to master them.

Most of them actually bought a Wii as well during the Wii Sports craze, and if Wii had been getting as good as (or better as may be the case with Wii 2) versions of the games they like they would probably have mastered those controls as well.

Outside of genres designed for it, like twin-stick shooters, dual-analog really isn't that great and actually one of the most unintuitive control schemes we use in games.

And worst case scenario, there's always the CC Pro. Just bundle that, don't compromise the strengths and appeal of the remote which were obviously very appealing to a lot of people and allowed things no standard controller could do.

AceBandage said:
Yeah, the Wiimote/Nunchuck setup was brilliant.
Sadly, it isn't conventional.
If we're considering old-style gamepads to be the standard, having a big touch screen in the middle is no more conventional than splitting the controller into two halves.
artwalknoon said:
If Nintendo made some tweaks like both controllers have an analog, two triggers/shoulder buttons like the nunchuck and maybe some more buttons like the gamecube's face button layout and you've got gold.
Yeah, I was working on such an example earlier. Nunchuk image sucks, though, since it's hard to find decent nunchuk images that aren't at an angle.
M74 said:
I still don't follow you guys who want a second analog on the remote, not just on the attachment. Isn't the whole point of the IR remote to replace the need for a second analog?
The whole point of the pointer is to point. The second analog wasn't always used to point, though, so for those instances the pointer isn't always helpful. Camera control being the most common.

The d-pad could be used for a lesser-controlling camera, but thanks to standard wiimote having so few buttons the d-pad as often as not ended up used for buttony things. Perhaps in a wiimote with more actual buttons, that wouldn't be the case.

watershed

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
Even my mates who love COD hate dual-analog controls, they are just a necessity to play the game they like. They've all moaned about how long it took to master them.

Most of them actually bought a Wii as well during the Wii Sports craze, and if Wii had been getting as good as (or better as may be the case with Wii 2) versions of the games they like they would probably have mastered those controls as well.

Outside of genres designed for it, like twin-stick shooters, dual-analog really isn't that great and actually one of the most unintuitive control schemes we use in games.

And worst case scenario, there's always the CC Pro. Just bundle that, don't compromise the strengths and appeal of the remote which were obviously very appealing to a lot of people and allowed things no standard controller could do.

Well surveying GAF and my gamer friends most prefer the computer mouse set up over dual analogs but dual analogs over wii pointer set up. Still I am not a big fan of dual analogs for fps.

But I think dual analogs are great for camera controls in 3rd person action games, 3d platformers, stealth games, etc. I think they are an industry standard for far more than just fps and Nintendo would be doing 3rd parties and themselves a great service to include dual analogs in the N6.

AniHawk

Hitokage said:
1. Nunchuk is superior to all other forms of control.
2. I have larger than average hands.
3. I'm constantly holding down A.

couldn't you use the gamecube controller? or i guess by that first point you mean the controller held apart instead of hands together thing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AniHawk said:
couldn't you use the gamecube controller?
Point 1.

Gamecube control has you taking your thumb off the analog stick, which you use to steer, in order to do tricks/wheelies, which you must do early and often.

AniHawk

Hitokage said:
Point 1.

Gamecube control has you taking your thumb off the analog stick, which you use to steer, in order to do tricks/wheelies, which you must do early and often.

oh. i didn't know that's how that worked. i always used the remote by itself (excite truck got me early).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
artwalknoon said:
Well surveying GAF and my gamer friends most prefer the computer mouse set up over dual analogs but dual analogs over wii pointer set up. Still I am not a big fan of dual analogs for fps.

But I think dual analogs are great for camera controls in 3rd person action games, 3d platformers, stealth games, etc. I think they are an industry standard for far more than just fps and Nintendo would be doing 3rd parties and themselves a great service to include dual analogs in the N6.

The gyro in the Motion+ and later remotes would do camera-control perfectly and much more naturally, just came too late and wasn't standard.

Wii's only flaw with the pointer is losing sight of the sensor bar, but this can be improved next time round as well.

There's always a CC Pro type solution, but I do think basically everything done by dual-analog can be done better and more naturally with a bit of refinement. Wii's problem wasn't the remote+nunchuck set-up, it was getting the games on the system in the first place and they didn't look as nice. There was never enough support or content for it to become an equivalent standard, the 3rd party situation next time round will be different.

artwalknoon said:

How can the second joystick be "great" for controlling the camera in any action-intensive game when using it prevents you from using any of the face buttons at the same time? Not to mention that pushing a wobbly joystick around with your thumb is nowhere near as fast or as accurate as moving your hand/wrist, which you have far more control over than your thumbs. Face it, pointer/gyro controls make the second joystick completely superfluous.

nincompoop said:
How can the second joystick be "great" for controlling the camera in any action-intensive game when using it prevents you from using any of the face buttons at the same time?
You're just not thinking clawth dimensionally! (I agree.)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
rise_to_heaven.jpg

I don't buy the "screen in middle" reports. Seems way too much like what Ninty's already done with their DS line.

Explanation of my mock-up:

- The touchscreen is located on the forearm as a kind of wrap-around "wearable controller". May also wrap around the thumb joint for better support.
- Screen would be used for quick selection of items, menu options, map controls for uninterrupted game play.
- That thing on the finger is the vitality sensor. Miniaturized into a comfortable "band-aid". May also include a tiny Wii remote IR sensor for Minority Report style control.
- I believe this set up also allows you to use the Wii remote or a traditional controller unimpeded.
- The screen can be unplugged and unsheathed from a Neoprene sheath and then attached to the new, traditional, controller for DS like game play.

Gahiggidy said:
rise_to_heaven.jpg

I don't buy the "screen in middle" reports. Seems way too much like what Ninty's already done with their DS line.

- The touchscreen is located on the forearm as a kind of wrap-around "wearable controller". May also wrap around the thumb joint for better support.
- Screen would be used for quick selection of items, menu options, map controls for uninterrupted game play.
- That thing on the finger is the vitality sensor. Miniaturized into a comfortable "band-aid". May also include a tiny Wii remote IR sensor for Minority Report style control.
- I believe this set up also allows you to use the Wii remote or a traditional controller unimpeded.
- The screen can be unplugged and unsheathed from a Neoprene sheath and then attached to the new, traditional, controller for DS like game play.

Wii3 will take your urine sample to determine the health of your own screen character!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Gahiggidy said:
http://home.comcast.net/~dinobite/rise_to_heaven.jpg[IMG]

[I]I don't buy the "screen in middle" reports. Seems way too much like what Ninty's already done with their DS line. [/I]

- That thing on the finger is the [B]vitality sensor[/B]. Miniaturized into a comfortable "band-aid". May also include a tiny Wii remote IR sensor for [I]Minority Report[/I] style control.
- I believe this set up also allows you to use the Wii remote [B][I]or[/I][/B] a traditional controller unimpeded.
- The screen can be unplugged and unsheathed from a Neoprene sheath and then attached to the new, traditional, controller for DS like game play.[/QUOTE]

I <3 you.

Send this to Kotaku immediately.

DECK'ARD said:
Parental controls AND a zero-tolerance drug policy.

Perfect!

Yeah, imagine you're sick one day and you stay home to play. The game takes your urine sample and your character would also end up with what you have. If you have a cold, your character has a cold. If you're healthy, your character will be healthy.

Gets people to stay in shape man!

nincompoop said:
How can the second joystick be "great" for controlling the camera in any action-intensive game when using it prevents you from using any of the face buttons at the same time?
What are the alternatives?
*A pointer/gyro based camera approach which needs a button to be held while camera is moved anyway.
*A pointer/gyro based camera approach which doesn't need a button to be held and will be moving the camera when you don't want it moved.
*No manual camera control.

Camera control is plenty useful outside of actiony times, too. I get plenty use of the camera stick in games like Dragon Quest VIII or Final Fantasy XII.

onQ123

blame space said:
my first video game system

my cousin had 1 and it kinda sucked but it just reminded me that DS wasn't the 1st handheld with a touch screen & stylus

(wonders should I make a thread to remind everyone else)

mr_burns.jpg

JoshuaJSlone said:
What are the alternatives?
*A pointer/gyro based camera approach which needs a button to be held while camera is moved anyway.
*A pointer/gyro based camera approach which doesn't need a button to be held and will be moving the camera when you don't want it moved.
*No manual camera control.
*Using a grip sensor to activate gyro control.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DECK'ARD said:
Yeah, Valve's talk is very interesting and compelling.

But depends a lot on how many forms of bio-feedback can be incorporated easily into a console. Pulse is easy, and fits a new remote far better than the Vitality Sensor contraption, but other things Valve were doing like pupil-size couldn't be done in a Nintendo way.

Even pulse though could be a nice little extra feedback and applied in games well, whether it's in there depends on how their experiments with the Vitality Sensor went. It either disappeared from view because its applications were limited, or that it turned out more compelling than they thought and they've held it back for a new console. Like the Wii was born.
Pulse and skin conductivity would be pretty easy and are two out of the four changes monitored for a lie detector test which is admissible in a court of law so they should be good enough to determine for a game console.

I still have a Game.Com....

GAME COM ACTIVE!
It was pretty fun. I think it was also the first handheld with internet capabilities (via wired connections, lawl).

Luigison

poppabk said:
Pulse and skin conductivity would be pretty easy and are two out of the four changes monitored for a lie detector test which is admissible in a court of law so they should be good enough to determine for a game console.
Eye tracking should be achieved easily enough, but I'm not sure how it could be used here.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
poppabk said:
It'd also be nifty if the system could determine which player is holding the controller by measuring some unique identifying info from the players vital stats. (Or, by finger prints?) Would also be a great way of preventing younger brothers from messing up your game saves.
laugh2.gif

onQ123

AceBandage said:
I still have a Game.Com....

GAME COM ACTIVE!
It was pretty fun. I think it was also the first handheld with internet capabilities (via wired connections, lawl).

systems that's ahead of their time always seem to fail

onQ123 said:
systems that's ahead of their time always seem to fail

It's usually due to companies trying to force cutting edge technology into their devices long before they've matured and become easy to use.
Which is basically the opposite of what Nintendo does, actually.
They instead take old technology and breathe new life into it.

watershed

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
It'd also be nifty if the system could determine which player is holding the controller by measuring some unique identifying info from the players vital stats. (Or, by finger prints?) Would also be a great way of preventing younger brothers from messing up your game saves.
laugh2.gif

This might be possible if the biometrics is built into the screen. Like it could read your fingerprint to turn on the console and immediately load your profile instead of having a default or having to choose from a list. That would be amazing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still not seeing how Valve's comments about biometric feedback would improve gaming or even be remotely interesting other than for the psychology. Maybe I'm in the minority, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom