• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Gahiggidy said:
It'd also be nifty if the system could determine which player is holding the controller by measuring some unique identifying info from the players vital stats. (Or, by finger prints?) Would also be a great way of preventing younger brothers from messing up your game saves.
laugh2.gif

Yeah I do like the idea of a controller knowing who was using it from a thumbprint reader, loads of benefits to that as well from personalised Home screen, to parental controls, to retrieving game and control settings.

Little screen showing your name/Mii. It would be a very Nintendo use of technology.

ReyVGM

The following information comes from Sam Kennedy on the 1up Oddcast...

- “there won’t be friend codes on the new console. ...I think Nintendo has learnt their lesson there.”
- Mr. Kennedy says that he is sure of this
- Project Cafe is "Not just like a new controller"
- more to the system than simply a new input device
- Project Cafe will have a “Wii vibe” and high definition graphics, ”plus something”
- Nintendo fans will be like “wow”

http://wiihdrumors.com/the-wii-2-wont-use-friend-codes/

Plinko said:
Still not seeing how Valve's comments about biometric feedback would improve gaming or even be remotely interesting other than for the psychology. Maybe I'm in the minority, though.

Changing how a game plays, looks or reacts based on how the player is "feeling" would be a pretty huge leap in gaming evolution, actually.
Imagine a game where the entire world's look changed to a darker more chaotic place if you were upset, or a nice peaceful beach if you were happy.
Enemies that would be able to taunt you and know they were getting a response and continue to taunt you, making you mess up more.

I'm not sure if it's entirely possible at this stage, but it would be a pretty awesome thing none the less.

ReyVGM said:

- “there won’t be friend codes on the new console. ...I think Nintendo has learnt their lesson there.”
- Project Cafe will have a “Wii vibe” and high definition graphics, ”plus something”

I have a hard time swallowing no friend codes.
If this was the case, they would have done away with them on the 3DS.
Still, I won't say I wouldn't be pleased.

watershed

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
Yeah I do like the idea of a controller knowing who was using it from a thumbprint reader, loads of benefits to that as well from personalised Home screen, to parental controls, to retrieving game and control settings.

Little screen showing your name/Mii. It would be a very Nintendo use of technology.

I could really see Nintendo doing this as a way of making the system hardcore and kid friendly. For example if a kid turns on the system and their parent has already set the parental controls then there could be all online features disabled, or no voice chat (if voice chat exists), and yet adult users could still get a fully featured console.

onQ123

ReyVGM said:

so basically no new info.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
maybe they could do "friend pictures."

draw a picture of your friend and you can play with him.

but it has to be a very detailed picture. and the person has to be wearing a necklace in the drawing with a charm of the person's friend code hanging from it

watershed

Banned
AceBandage said:
I have a hard time swallowing no friend codes.
If this was the case, they would have done away with them on the 3DS.
Still, I won't say I wouldn't be pleased.

Unless the fingerprint identification feature stops kidz from being able to add friends or send messages or chat or go online at all via parental controls while adult users can do all that and more! BELIEVE!

beelzebozo said:
maybe they could do "friend pictures."

draw a picture of your friend and you can play with him.

but it has to be a very detailed picture. and the person has to be wearing a necklace in the drawing with a charm of the person's friend code hanging from it

Personally, I think they did it almost right with the 3DS.
Have your account be your Mii.
It's perfect and it's Nintendo.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
ReyVGM said:

Why would they use friend codes on the 3DS, but no on Cafe? Handhelds are more targeted at kids?

yoopoo

Banned
ReyVGM said:

Forgot one: 'COD games will play better on 360/PS3'

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Plinko said:
Still not seeing how Valve's comments about biometric feedback would improve gaming or even be remotely interesting other than for the psychology. Maybe I'm in the minority, though.

Multiplayer gaming is all about the psychology.

They are basically saying its effects on how people play are much more significant than you think, and bring out a lot of natural behaviour from cues we read in real life.

It's easier to think about things like just pulse and how it would apply to something like Resident Evil, a lot of games try to encourage emotional responses so to have some feedback of whether it's working or not is beneficial in an interactive thing like a game because you can change what you do to the player as a result. Unlike say a film which is a non-interactive journey through set emotions.

Nintendo's ideas for the Vitality Sensor were completely off the wall, such as controlling a game through just breathing for the Wii Relax game. So there's probably a lot of different ways it could be applied.

yoopoo said:
Yep, that chick asked if you could play COD on this. His response: yes but you'll want to play that on other consoles instead.

Hmmm, we'll see.
If they include support for Wiiremote, then I have to disagree.
Unless he wasn't talking about controls.

M74

yoopoo said:
Yep, that chick asked if you could play COD on this. His response: yes but you'll want to play that on other consoles instead.
What the hell kind of comment is that? Why say something like that if you're not going to explain WHY? Ugh.

Edit: If he's right, and for some reason games like CoD will still be better offerings on other consoles, then this thing will be DoA to a lot of people.

P90

dvolovets said:
I didn't realize the Wii Remote was that well-liked. I dunno about you guys, but I'd take the GCN pad or the 360 controller over the Wii Remote any day.

For me, it depends on the game. I'd like the option of either/or, controller-wise. Ithink the wiimote changed gaming for the good.

antonz

AceBandage said:
Hmmm, we'll see.
If they include support for Wiiremote, then I have to disagree.
Unless he wasn't talking about controls.
99.9% chance hes talking about Online. No matter what Nintendo does short of a 1 for 1 copy of XBL its not gonna be superior to the current online solution

From The Dust said:
Keep trollin trollin trollin

fucking limp bizkut :\

Well, there's a mountain of a difference between "CoD will play better on PS3/360" and "Cafe won't play CoD better."

This leads me to believe all things will be equal, except probably online, because he was talking about the kinds of games one girl liked.

Boney said:
hey you can't do that!

bitch I do what I please!

AceBandage said:
Well, there's a mountain of a difference between "CoD will play better on PS3/360" and "Cafe won't play CoD better."

This leads me to believe all things will be equal, except probably online, because he was talking about the kinds of games one girl liked.

true, but after playing shooters on the wii, I don't know why I would go back (to other consoles. not PC)

antonz said:
99.9% chance hes talking about Online. No matter what Nintendo does short of a 1 for 1 copy of XBL its not gonna be superior to the current online solution

Agreed. I always end up owning two consoles anyway.

M74

Somebody should send in to 1up asking for a clarification, see what he says if anything. Hopefully he wasn't referring to something more problematic.

Cod is one of those game i could see it being better to buy on 360/ps3 simply because a greater part of the community will be there not on the new console, plus online etc etc.

Even in a worst case scenario (no special controller, just an upgraded Wiiremote, graphics exactly like 360s, online only as good as 3DS's with a couple more features) there isn't really a problem.
Except for those people that must have their achievements. And I just don't see Nintendo doing them this go around.
You also have to take into account that a lot of people with 360s won't switch over for a CoD game, so you're not going to have that install base initially.

I posted this in the other thread

What if each controller could play a differnt game, not full retail games but downloadable classics. Imagine being in your room and wanting to play a little super mario world before bed you grab your cafe controller it connects to the console and you can choose from your library of classic nintendo games. And others could play differnt games at the same time. The tv your console is hooked up to isnt always available so this would be awesome.

antonz

M74 said:
Somebody should send in to 1up asking for a clarification, see what he says if anything. Hopefully he wasn't referring to something more problematic.
They arent gonna say anything because the likelyhood is they know nothing. If its 18 months away like he claims there would be little way to confirm anything. For instance a console launching in 18 months would be using alpha devkits no where near the final.

If early devkits have the hardware we are being told its impossible to be visually worse.

Online is guaranteed to be worse though

Anth0ny

AceBandage said:
That's also what I think.
It'll have better online but it won't be XBL down to every feature.
Which, is fine with me.

Why not? If Nintendo is seriously going after the hardcores, online is probably the most important damn thing to get done correctly.

I'd rather have a Nintendo console with online that rivals/surpasses XBL, but has current gen graphics than next gen graphics with shitty online.

Conrad Link said:
Nintendo still has a loooooooooooooooooot of work to to do to get the dudebros on board don't they?

Short of Nintendo creating a Gears of War like franchise and it hitting big, they'll never get the dudebro audience completely regardless.

Anth0ny said:
Why not? If Nintendo is seriously going after the hardcores, online is probably the most important damn thing to get done correctly.

I'd rather have a Nintendo console with online that rivals/surpasses XBL, but has current gen graphics than next gen graphics with shitty online.

There's a difference between not matching XBL and having a shitty online.
The Cafe will, at the very least, have these things:

Live updated friends list
Messaging (Text and/or voice)
Game Invites
Voice Chat in game
Demos

That isn't a shitty online.

Luigison

Here's what I think is my final Dudebro controller configuration. I doubt Nintendo would do something like this with so many buttons and configuration options though.

5519402.jpg

Instro

Conrad Link said:
Nintendo still has a loooooooooooooooooot of work to to do to get the dudebros on board don't they?

They dont need dudebros, they need to attract people who actually purchase more than 1-2 games a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom