• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

Busaiku said:
Or how DC was to X-Box.
That was a full three year gap. All signs point to 2012-2013 for Microsoft and Sony's new hardware, and diminishing returns will definitely be an issue.

Prine

Banned
Good. Wii output of visuals is insulting, glad Nintendo have set a new precedent. To recapture 3rd parties. I have no doubt they shunned the Wii due to its artistic limitations, both visually and mechanically.

Angry Fork

Bisnic said:
Call me crazy, but what IF Nintendo has been developping TWO versions of Skyward Sword? One for the Wii, one kept secret for the Wii 2 for the glorious HD and high details? That would maybe explain why this game is taking so fucking long to release and why we have barely any details at all. At this point, Zelda SS is going to be release near the end of 2011 and maybe the Wii 2 will release a few months later, like 1 year after the 3DS.

DO IIIT NINTENDO.
This would make Wii owners rage beyond belief, but it's likely to happen.

duk

Banned
Nessus said:
Or Sony and MS could simply match their next consoles to the power of the Wii 2 and save a ton of money on hardware costs after having each lost billions of dollars trying to push bleeding edge tech in previous generations.

It would also help with out of control development costs.

It would probably be a bit too late to dial things back now, they have to be super deep into their development cycle. A huge change now can be too big of a risk.

ReyVGM said:
Not gonna happen. That emulator doesn't just make games look 1080p automatically. They have to be tweaked, one by one, to look like that. And not to mention that it also breaks a lot of other stuff in game that constantly needs fixing.

Will GC/Wii games look better on Wii2? Sure. But not like Dolphin makes them look.

Well, there's a lot of hack-y stuff going on in Dolphin because they are attempting to emulate a system that has almost zero documentation. Almost all of the code is HLE.

We're talking about a relatively small group of hobbyist programmers who are trying to reverse engineer the system's behavior vs. Nintendo, who have full hardware documentation, access to the chips' engineers, and the resources to have a team dedicated to making it happen. If Nintendo wants Super Wii to render Wii/GC at 1080p/4xAA, depending on the architecture, they could probably make it happen.

In fact, they had a team make an internal emu for the DS, for testing purposes; it was practically 100% emulated and cycle accurate within several months, AFAIK.

Sayer

Bisnic said:
Call me crazy, but what IF Nintendo has been developping TWO versions of Skyward Sword? One for the Wii, one kept secret for the Wii 2 for the glorious HD and high details? That would maybe explain why this game is taking so fucking long to release and why we have barely any details at all. At this point, Zelda SS is going to be release near the end of 2011 and maybe the Wii 2 will release a few months later, like 1 year after the 3DS.

DO IIIT NINTENDO.
Well there are 2 zelda teams and one has nothing assigned to them since we found out the OoT port was outsourced.

daffy

Banned
Do you guys think Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing here?

That is, going from "trailing" behind the competition in technology, but using the Wii remote to explode the waggle market, causing the other two to follow their strategy?

And then releasing an HD console that leaves the other two manufacturers trailing them, unable to release a new product in time?

VerTiGo

Banned
JaseC said:
If it's not due 'til "late 2012", I wouldn't expect a playable unit until next E3.

Makes no sense. Nintendo has been launching big games and hardware (3DS) outside the holiday window as well for quite some time now. Ono hinted at connection, 3rd parties are readying software. It's sooner than later.

Easter 2012! Iwata has risen (/blasphemy)

apana

Prine said:
Good. Wii output of visuals is insulting, glad Nintendo have set a new precedent. To recapture 3rd parties. I have no doubt they shunned the Wii due to its artistic limitations, both visually and mechanically.

Yeah kind of, they shunned the Wii because they couldn't port anything onto it. I guess it's a different way of saying the same thing.

Utako

Banned
onQ123 said:
Sony patent application reveals universal, LCD-based game controller

sony-patent-02-19-2010.jpg

so this will be another case of Sony planning & Nintendo making the 1st move while Sony still doing test
The death of buttons... is it finally upon us?

I thought haptics would arrive before that. Fuck, maybe Nintendo found a way to make it happen.

Orayn

Prine said:
Developers are more than willing to work with older hardware given the right circumstances - Look at all the big name software that came out late in the PS2's lifespan. The problem with the Wii was the fact that the unique control scheme was compounded with the weaker technology, and things just didn't come together.

Big One

Banned
Bisnic said:

DO IIIT NINTENDO.
Considering Skyward Sword is set to be released later this year and this rumored console is going to be released later in 2012...yeah probably not

Woffls

I dream of the day when Deadly Premonition is remade with vitality sensor compatibility. Scared of backwards bent shadows with Chelsea smiles? Tough shit, your pulse is going up and you're about to go into shock and die. Vitality sensor would be very good for the survival horror genre, Capcom might make RE a horror game again, and we know they've always been close to Nintendo.

And yes, Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing and saw the Wii's decline a mile off like the rest of us did. Well some of us anyway.

neptunes

Orayn said:
That was a full three year gap. All signs point to 2012-2013 for Microsoft and Sony's new hardware, and diminishing returns will definitely be an issue.
Either Nintendo ditched their philosophy of providing affordable hardware for the masses
or
They found a way to get hardware that is "SIGNIFICANTLY" better than PS3/360 and is affordable to the masses.

Something's not adding up, either it wont end up being as mega-power as the rumors claim, or it will be and cost +$350

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
KAL2006 said:
Oh shit this needs it's own thread, if 3DS has homebrew and it's own R4 devices where I can store many games I would buy it in an instant.

"If I can buy the hardware and never buy games, would buy"

Truth101

Banned
Sayer said:
Well there are 2 zelda teams and one has nothing assigned to them since we found out the OoT port was outsourced.

More likely that Skyword Sword is being developed with HD assets, which would be in the Wii³ version. Though I wouldn't get my hopes up on that front.

If true, 1080p on a new Wii controller, but what about the console? 1080p as well? Anything on price and I really miss avatars already. Everyone is faceless. :(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Prine said:
I have no doubt they shunned the Wii due to its artistic limitations, both visually and mechanically.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Artistic limitations. Ive never heard of the Wii's power put quite like that.

Hoo boy.

Orayn

FTH said:
Do you guys think Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing here?

That is, going from "trailing" behind the competition in technology, but using the Wii remote to explode the waggle market, causing the other two to follow their strategy?

And then releasing an HD console that leaves the other two manufacturers trailing them, unable to release a new product in time?
aL6e3.jpg

You look left, they fall right.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Woffls said:
I dream of the day when Deadly Premonition is remade with vitality sensor compatibility. Scared of backwards bent shadows with Chelsea smiles? Tough shit, your pulse is going up and you're about to go into shock and die. Vitality sensor would be very good for the survival horror genre, Capcom might make RE a horror game again, and we know they've always been close to Nintendo.

And yes, Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing and saw the Wii's decline a mile off like the rest of us did. Well some of us anyway.

The only game that gets someone who is Not Afraid of Video Games' heart pounding is Street Fighter, which means that if I played it with vitality sensor I would die immediately every round.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
onQ123 said:
Sony patent application reveals universal, LCD-based game controller

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/02/sony-patent-02-19-2010.jpg[IMG]

so this will be another case of Sony planning & Nintendo making the 1st move while Sony still doing test[/QUOTE]

I bet you could find 50 of those with minor changes if you looked. I'm sure somebody will claim they did it first

there's probably a bunch of patents to do with controllers and screens that have nothing to do with gaming as well

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Omiee said:
is this why none of the avatars show up for me?

anyhow this is amazing news, i hope they keep it under 299

Wow I never even thought about the price point for this thing. I think it has to come in under 300. Wow Nintendo is taking a monster risk.

I think that if Nintendo thinks they're starting the next generation early like the 360 did, they're going to be in trouble. I can't see MS or Sony scrambling to put out a next gen console because of this. Or even this having a major effect on their strategies.

Wow this E3 is going to be fucking epic.

Omiee

Nirolak said:
We temporarily turned them off to try and keep the servers up.

o oke nice, you should do this at e3 as well.
but i though evilore said the new servers could handle anything.

Cranzor

Awesome. I'll buy anything Nintendo puts out because I'm a Nintendo whore. The fact that it's more powerful than the PS3 is extremely good news, not sure how I feel about the controller though.

neptunes said:
Either Nintendo ditched their philosophy of provide affordable hardware for the masses
or
They found a way to get hardware that is "SIGNIFICANTLY" better than PS3/360 and is affordable to the masses.

Tech is a lot cheaper than it was, certainly.
It'll be interesting to see where Nintendo takes it.

Why For?

Banned
Please be true please be true.

Hopefully Nintendo hired some guys from the Dolphin emulator team and built the tech into the new console to upscale our Wii and Cube games...hype hype hype!!!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand iloveu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom