• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

SoulPlaya said:
Why are people going "RETURN TO THE HARDCORE". Nintendo's "hardcore" output this gen has been better than GCN, and arguably just as good as N64. Unless people are expecting them to go back to SNES days, which is just delusional.

What does 'the SNES days' even mean?

JWong

Banned
Billychu said:
What hardcore games failed last year? Sin and Punishment? The game they didn't even tell people existed?
The YoY dropped off for them. That's what I'm pointing out. And some games didn't have good attach rates.

SoulPlaya said:
Why are people going "RETURN TO THE HARDCORE". Nintendo's "hardcore" output this gen has been better than GCN, and arguably just as good as N64. Unless people are expecting them to go back to SNES days, which is just delusional.

I think it has more to do with their supposed propositioning of third parties to make big franchises for their systems (you can already see this on the 3DS).

ryan-ts

Amir0x said:
no it's gonna be BC with Wii titles so obviously motion control gaming remains.

Dunno about this screen garbage (i have no idea how they'll retain a functional wiimote form factor with a HD screen jutting out; but hey i'm sure in a few months we'll have everyone making excuses about how it's only somewhat less comfortable than regular controllers but THINK OF TEH INNOVATIONZZ11!!) but hey what's one more absurd gimmick if they come crawling back to the hardcore

kiss it, Nintendo. Kiss my ring. You return upon your stomach, and by my grace I forgive you for your sins my son.

You smug bastard.

legend166

neptunes said:
Either Nintendo ditched their philosophy of providing affordable hardware for the masses
or
They found a way to get hardware that is "SIGNIFICANTLY" better than PS3/360 and is affordable to the masses.

Something's not adding up, either it wont end up being as mega-power as the rumors claim, or it will be and cost +$350

It's not at all unbelievable that they could create a PS3.5 level of hardware and sell it for a profit at $300.

By the end of 2012, the PS3 will be 6 years old.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I hate FPS's but if Nintendo moneyhats the next COD game it could go a long way in bringing back that type of gamer to the brand.

Plinko said:
I hate FPS's but if Nintendo moneyhats the next COD game it could go a long way in bringing back that type of gamer to the brand.

They can't moneyhat CoD. That's impossible.
Exclusive content, however...

Jonm1010

Banned
JWong said:
If last year was an indication of anything, hardcore audience won't make this work for them.

They are risking big on this.
If they want to make an impact with the hardcore audience they should have a point in the conference where they bring in both Epic and the Cry engine crew to show how the new Nintendo will be the first console to be able to handle all the features their newest engines have. Topped off with some sort of showcased game that's graphics are only possible on the new console.

If they can show something that looks as good as that unreal demo we recently saw but instead end the demo with "this can be yours in 10 months!" Well I think you would successfully have swayed the graphic whores and most of the hardcore group.

gotee12

What a wonderful end to a mediocre day! Hopefully the mayans are wrong and I'll be able to enjoy this for more than a few days at the end of
all things

SoulPlaya said:

Because people were under the delusion that Nintendo's next console would somehow be less powerful than the PS3, which was never a realistic possibility. Nintendo never hated graphics, they just don't sell consoles at a loss and that won't be an issue when they release this system. There's no way they could release a console in late 2012 that failed to surpass the current gen.

WillyFive

inner-G said:
really, really good JRPGs.

Oh and some other stuff too.

Oh, you mean having Square Enix develop just for them again.

Ha!

No, but seriously, Nintendo will have to change a lot of their publisher relations to have 'a SNES day' again.

seady

Amir0x said:
no it's gonna be BC with Wii titles so obviously motion control gaming remains.

Dunno about this screen garbage (i have no idea how they'll retain a functional wiimote form factor with a HD screen jutting out; but hey i'm sure in a few months we'll have everyone making excuses about how it's only somewhat less comfortable than regular controllers but THINK OF TEH INNOVATIONZZ11!!) but hey what's one more absurd gimmick if they come crawling back to the hardcore

kiss it, Nintendo. Kiss my ring. You return upon your stomach, and by my grace I forgive you for your sins my son.

I wish they make a totally new controller without the baggage of having to follow the Wiimote footprint.

Can't they just let the system detect the old wiimotes when playing old Wii games, and have the new games use the new controller? Kinda similar to what the Classic Controller is doing right now. And people have ton of Wiimotes laying around already so it's not like they have to buy some to play old games.

Amir0x

Banned
SoulPlaya said:

maybe for you! For me? Biggest drop in quality ever. GCN was amazing. Wii was total shit.

I have a total of fucking three hardcore games I like from them so far this gen - Mario Galaxy titles (dunno if you want to count this as 1 or 2), Super Paper Mario and Metroid Prime III. And hell, Super Paper Mario was a GAMECUBE game that was ported to Wii because Nintendo are a bunch of lazy motherfuckers. So that's still GCN legacy talking. I guess actually if you count Sin & Punishment, that's four. I sorta liked Wario.

Here's a list of GAMECUBE Nintendo developed games I loved:

Metroid Prime 1/2
Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: Twilight Princess
F-Zero GX
Chibi Robo
Mario Sunshine
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Wave Race
Pikmin 1/2
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Fire Emblem (including the Wii game which was just a ported Gamecube title)

Also, nostalgia garbage off, GCN Nintendo decimated N64 Nintendo. Fuck N64. Worst successful system of all time.

Fat Goron

Ezalc said:
I want the next Smash game to not be shit. So take as long as they need with this. Get the online to be FUCKING PERFECT. No shitty roster, stages, better editor, no fucking tripping, no shitty single player mode, and most importantly: NO. FUCKING. SAKURAI.

.... and HD LANDMASTERS!!!!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if this has been said yet (this thread hurts my eyes), but if it really has 'an HD screen', maybe you can take the controller out with you and play small apps on it? Nintendo's response to iDevices and Android, perhaps?

mclem

Sudden realisation: DQX as gateway title? Fully-compatible with the new system, perhaps some system-specific upgrades, and it's timed nicely to coincide with the launch.

Nintendo gets a DQ title at launch for Japan. That... would be huge.

VerTiGo said:
Fuck Smash Bros.

NINTENDO VS. CAPCOM: TURBO!!!
yoshinori_ono.jpg

neptunes

legend166 said:
It's not at all unbelievable that they could create a PS3.5 level of hardware and sell it for a profit at $300.

By the end of 2012, the PS3 will be 6 years old.
Yes I do find it unbelieve that they could find a hardware configuration that is superior to the ps3 and yet offer it less than $399

Do you consider PS3.5 as "significantly" more powerful than PS3? to me that seems marginal,

What would you liken to?
Wii -> Xbox
or
360 -> Xbox

WillyFive

InfiniteNine said:
It made it not fun to me, so no.

Well, I guess the increased emphasis on tactics and the environment might have angered those who like the trance-like way to play of Melee.

But with idiots continuing to call the game a button masher, Brawl helped a lot in making the game seem less like one.

No matter how powerfull it is Epic will insist that it can't run the latest Unreal Engine & Ubi Soft will still bring the gameZ(s)...still hyped. Though new Nintedo hardware will draw attention & steam away from NGP as far as E3 coverage goes. So sounds like a double win.

I hope we get the final name and not a codename that we'll grow to love (or love right away), only to have the real final name make us puke on first sight, and THEN will grow to like later on.

seady said:
I wish they make a totally new controller without the baggage of having to follow the Wiimote footprint.

Can't they just let the system detect the old wiimotes when playing old Wii games, and have the new games use the new controller? Kinda similar to what the Classic Controller is doing right now. And people have ton of Wiimotes laying around already so it's not like they have to buy some to play old games.

The new system doesn't have to use a wiimote. All legacy Wii accessories will have no problem interfacing with Wii2 for BC titles. The wiimote itself is nothing like a gamecube controller, is it?

To me it sounds like the new controller might be a traditional style gamepad but with a display in the middle. Like the DC.

antonz

Naked Prime said:
No matter how powerfull it is Epic will insist that it can't run the latest Unreal Engine & Ubi Soft will still bring the gameZ(s)...still hyped. Though new Nintedo hardware will draw attention & steam away from NGP as far as E3 coverage goes. So sounds like a double win.
Thats really I think the thing that is gonna be shittiest for Sony. Nintendo revealing their new console is going to be the news of E3. NGP will be overshadowed heavily.

neptunes said:
Yes I do find it unbelieve that they could find a hardware configuration that is superior to the ps3 and yet offer it less than $399

Do you consider PS3.5 as "significantly" more powerful than PS3? to me that seems marginal,

What would you liken to?
Wii -> Xbox
or
360 -> Xbox

PS3.5 would be a significant boost in power and far more likely to be what the next gen is overall for all parties involved. I anticipate we will see another PS2,GC,Xbox style power spread

789shadow said:

Is there a 1080p version of the Tower of the Gods?

Edit: Launch titles: Windwaker HD with the two dungeos added, DQX, Metroid Prime HD...I really need to calm down.

A nintendo console with third party support...could this be the snes glory days?

entremet

Hero of Legend said:
I hope we get the final name and not a codename that we'll grow to love (or love right away), only to have the real final name make us puke on first sight, and THEN will grow to like later on.
Codenames are fun.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Boney said:
maybe the controller is like an iphone

no button bitches yeah!

Wii HD

Lifespan: 4/14/2011 - the day they officially announced it would have no buttons

We hardly knew ye

Neiteio

A 1080P Wii more powerful than a PS3?

Sounds

We

Need

A Hero

F-ZEROOOOOOOOO!

Bring back cheesy '90s guitar riffs plz

AceBandage said:
I think it has more to do with their supposed propositioning of third parties to make big franchises for their systems (you can already see this on the 3DS).
Third parties haven't given Nintendo anything since the SNES.

I think this "return to the hardcore" bullshit has much more to do with the media coverage of this gen than anything. Not to mention hardcore doesn't even mean anything, but I digress.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Just fuck this shit off please Nintendo. Sell it as an extra for the casuals/backwards compatibility if you need to.

10gkxw7.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Backwards compatibility would strike me as really hard to have with significantly changing controllers... Wait, unless you can just use Wii controllers for that purpose. Probably that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom