• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
woahjeez said:
I truly believe anybody saying Gamecube was better than Wii is trolling. I have more, and in my opinion better, games for Wii. Better Nintendo games and a better range of third party exclusives. Yes Wii had Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but it also had Punchout!!, Sin and Punishment 2 and excellent sequels to just about all of their other major franchises except for Starfox, F-zero and Pikmin
Oh ffs

Takao

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
I love how Nintendo lowballs their console specs for one generation and suddenly people start thinking thier next system will be made with a rock, some string, and a couple coconut halves.

It's the exact same reasoning with Sony and pricing. People on this forum think Sony gaming means prohibitively expensive when the only PlayStation platform to launch over $299 is the PS3. People think one's last actions portray all of their future actions.

Eteric Rice

Fantastical said:
Meh, I think it will be used for very gimmicky reasons and will just drive up the cost of the controller.

Nah, considering Nintendo has been getting those little LCDs made since the original DS, I suspect it's cheaper than you think now.

And I can see a lot of uses.

First of all, your console can boot straight to your game, with the OS being on your controller. No more having to shift through the console OS so you can load up your game. You could tap a button, and like on the 3DS, bring up the OS at any time.

For RPGs, this would allow for quick, and extremely easy inventory management without having to pause.

For shooters, it could allow for extremely quick weapon switching, rather than having to cycle through weapons to get to what you're looking for. Same for action games.

It would allow for types of RTS games to be brought to consoles.

And there's probably a lot of other uses that I can't think of at the moment. But there are a lot of uses for it.

It's a neat idea if it's true.

Neiteio

Fernando Rocker said:
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a lot of Nintendo hating in this thread...
I'm not. Nintendo's the only thing that seems to get this forum excited these days. It's engrained in our gamer DNA, all dem warm fuzzy memories. Nintendo's conference this year will nuke GAF's servers.

In terms of graphics, if this thing can run, say, God of War III, I say that's more than good enough. Improvements beyond that game (in its best moments, I mean, I.E. Poseidon, etc) is splitting hairs.

antonz

codswallop said:
Yeah I think Microsoft's console is getting a bit on in age. The PS3 I think has a couple more years left, but if the others move Sony will probably have to.

So get excited by the fact a new Nintendo console is coming out, rather than getting hung up on the specs?
For all the hype of Cell the PS3 and 360 are not nearly as big a gap as people seem to think. If the 360 is getting on in age then the PS3 is. The only flaw the 360 has is it doesnt have the disc space to keep up.

MadOdorMachine said:
So I guess this is the start of next gen. I'm not really ready, but I do think Nintendo needed to put out a new console. If it's only as powerful as PS3/360 or slightly more powerful, they may as well not bother though. They need legs to compete with the next Xbox and Playstation or else they'll find themselves in the exact same situation. After the 3DS I'm skeptical that it will even be as powerful as PS3. From what I've seen on the 3DS, the PSP has better looking games and it's over six years old!

1. Record sales then? I don't think they would mind.

2. Launch games much?

H_Prestige said:
The gap is still huge.

If nintendo is positioning this thing so that they can have the same third party support as their competitors then I see no reason to believe that the gap between the next gen systems will be huge. If they produced a system that was marginally better than the ps3/x360 then when microsoft/sony's new systems comes out they will be alienated all over again. If anything, the new nintendo system needs to be comparable to the ps2 like in the last generation. The ps2 was the weakest system but had the greatest third party support.

I don't think it's feasible to use the power/capability argument in the handheld area as a metric for consoles. When has hardware specs ever placed a handheld above and beyond the shoulders of the competition in terms of sales? Third party support across handhelds is much less important than console third party support. Nintendo's handheld always receive stellar third party support.

Shawn128

You know, I really didn't expect Nintendo to be the first to pull the trigger on next-gen. I figured it would be Microsoft with how the rumors were going so far.

v1oz said:
For the Wii HD.....

I predict Nintendo is going to use mobile components for the Wii HD/Wii 2. Nintendo have a great working relationship with ARM since the GBA days - plus it allows them to make something that's tiny and radiates little heat or noise. My guess powered by a multi-core (4 Cores?) Arm Cortex scaled up to run 1080p and at 2.5GHz. Coupled with an Nvidia or ATI SOC GPU and up to 1 gig of RAM.

That's reasonable power for HD in 3D. The Arm chip could mean some compatibility with the DS line. Power PC chips have size and heat issues. They're not small efficient chips (draw alot of power) and they run hot which is why Apple dropped them. And why they're not a good fit for Nintendo either.

The AMD Bobcat/Krishna might be another option. So a 4 core AMD CPU/GPU might be in the mix as the other option.

I don't see what the benefit of using mobile components would be. Heat and power consumption aren't nearly as important for a console (barring RROD type fuck-ups), and a mobile gpu/cpu is going to be easily outclassed by whatever Microsoft and Sony put in their consoles.

MadOdorMachine said:
So I guess this is the start of next gen. I'm not really ready, but I do think Nintendo needed to put out a new console. If it's only as powerful as PS3/360 or slightly more powerful, they may as well not bother though. They need legs to compete with the next Xbox and Playstation or else they'll find themselves in the exact same situation. After the 3DS I'm skeptical that it will even be as powerful as PS3. From what I've seen on the 3DS, the PSP has better looking games and it's over six years old!

My sentiments exactly

Edit: Maybe the final hardware specs aren't even finalized. In any case, they will need to anticipate Microsoft's and Sony's next gen offerings.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
codswallop said:
Any new console is exciting news! Plus, if true, it'll force Sony and Microsoft's hands.
Or Sony and Microsoft can ignore Nintendo like they've been doing, wait 2 -3 years after the WiiHD has been released and come out with a much more powerful system. This shouldn't be hard especially if the WiiHD is only as powerful or marginally more powerful than PS3.

Omiee

Now while i love the idea of a wii with hd graphics that is more powerfull than a ps3. Its nothing special. consoles have been out for 6 years now. I am excited about next gen though. Im already liking everything my pc can do, so i cant wait to see what the next gen will bring us.

zero_suit

MadOdorMachine said:
Or Sony and Microsoft can ignore Nintendo like they've been doing, wait 2 -3 years after the WiiHD has been released and come out with a much more powerful system. This shouldn't be hard especially if the WiiHD is only as powerful or marginally more powerful than PS3.

Then, Nintendo would almost certainly grab 1st place yet again if Sony and Microsoft wait that long.

NewFresh

Neiteio said:
. Nintendo's conference this year will nuke GAF's servers.

In terms of graphics, if this thing can run, say, God of War III, I say that's more than good enough. Improvements beyond that game (in its best moments, I mean, I.E. Poseidon, etc) is splitting hairs.

Evilore said that they have more dedicated servers to keep this from happening
but it will probably still happen

I agree with your graphics point. I would be OK with ps3 level graphics on the next nintendo console.

Zeliard

After you've played a few Wii games on Dolphin at high resolutions, you begin to see how badly those games missed it. It's borderline criminal they were released on such inferior hardware.

Basileus777 said:
I don't see what the benefit of using mobile components would be. Heat and power consumption aren't nearly as important for a console (barring RROD type fuck-ups), and a mobile gpu/cpu is going to be easily outclassed by whatever Microsoft and Sony put in their consoles.
size and reliability. part of the wii's appeal (a small part, but still part of it) was how small the thing was.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MadOdorMachine said:
Yeah, I remember IGN was saying that it would rival the 360 in power. The hype was really overblown and I still don't feel the need to pick one up anytime soon, and I get the feeling the same thing is happening here with Nintendo's next console.

Touch

This is exciting news! Hopefully, the "recapture the hardcore market" statement has some weight to it. I really want to see more Nintendo cases when I look over at my collection! :p

Eteric Rice said:
Nah, considering Nintendo has been getting those little LCDs made since the original DS, I suspect it's cheaper than you think now.

And I can see a lot of uses.

First of all, your console can boot straight to your game, with the OS being on your controller. No more having to shift through the console OS so you can load up your game. You could tap a button, and like on the 3DS, bring up the OS at any time.

For RPGs, this would allow for quick, and extremely easy inventory management without having to pause.

For shooters, it could allow for extremely quick weapon switching, rather than having to cycle through weapons to get to what you're looking for. Same for action games.

It would allow for types of RTS games to be brought to consoles.

And there's probably a lot of other uses that I can't think of at the moment. But there are a lot of uses for it.

It's a neat idea if it's true.

the bolded is a great idea, hope this screen is a touch screen.

Blueblur1

woahjeez said:
I truly believe anybody saying Gamecube was better than Wii is trolling. I have more, and in my opinion better, games for Wii. Better Nintendo games and a better range of third party exclusives. Yes Wii had Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but it also had Punchout!!, Sin and Punishment 2 and excellent sequels to just about all of their other major franchises except for Starfox, F-zero and Pikmin
While there are more solid (but not absolutely amazing) third party games on the Wii, the GameCube did have an excellent run of first party games and at least a few solid third party heavy hitters like the REmake, RE 4, and PSO: Episode 1 & 2. Honestly, I might say that enjoyed the GameCube more but I'm not so sure. Nostalgia can and probably is coloring my opinions now that I'm not sitting around for the next big GameCube release.

jj984jj said:
Yeah, I remember IGN was saying that it would rival the 360 in power. The hype was really overblown and I still don't feel the need to pick one up anytime soon, and I get the feeling the same thing is happening here with Nintendo's next console.

To be fair IGN were also the same ones who said that the Wii would really just be a beefed up gamecube

jj984jj said:

This look pretty close to the HD consoles, specially on the small display of the 3DS...

rer1ex8c.gif

rer2mbsl.gif

* Reads tag. * Oh, nevermind...

Zeliard

From The Dust said:
third parties matter. and to them, graphics matter

The guys at Nintendo probably looked at some Dolphin screens and felt bad. :p

It's one thing not to want the latest tech in your machine - it's another thing entirely to obfuscate great art by hiding it behind low resolutions. Higher resolutions is something everyone should want, not just third-parties.

DonMigs85

If the controller really has a backlit LCD of its own I fear for its battery life. The Dual Shock 3 gets pretty poor battery life with rumble on.

Haint

MarshMellow96 said:
1.Record sales then? I don't think they would mind.

2. Launch. Put Revelations and SF on PSP.

I think he means:

1. Watch those record sales drop like a rock at year 3 or 4 while your competitor(s) gobble up the loss.

2. Enjoy a total void of third party developer support, particularly from the west.

3. Look on from the sidelines as a single one of those Western titles generates over a billion dollars on your competitors boxes.

Blueblur1

Feep said:
I just registered for the Big Three press conferences this year at E3.

VERY VERY EXCITE
Have they announced their schedules yet? I'd love to get those days off before someone else at work does (thus screwing me!).

Eteric Rice said:
You can do this now with 360 and PS3. I just don't see how there would be a major difference here.

Averon said:
Significantly more powerful than the PS3.
HD(!!) screen on the controller.

How can this thing launch at $299?

It won't be all that expensive to build a system more powerful than the PS3 in late 2012, and the "HD" part of the controller screen is almost certainly hyperbole.

DonMigs85 said:
If the controller really has a backlit LCD of its own I fear for its battery life. The Dual Shock 3 gets pretty poor battery life with rumble on.

The controller takes part of your life essence to be powered up. That's why they invented the Vitality Sensor.

WillyFive

Amir0x said:
also guys the HD screen will be THREEDEE

you heard it hear first!

Assuming Nintendo finds a way to have the touch screen work with 3D, I doubt it. Touch screen would be the biggest priority if it's on the controller, maybe.

BowieZ

Banned
Amir0x said:
Factually false. Learn to read. It's important on neoGAF.
The day I see you use those funny little phrases like "I think" or "In my opinion" will be a bizarre, but yet ultimately dull day on NeoGAF, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom