• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
Have they announced their schedules yet? I'd love to get those days off before someone else at work does (thus screwing me!).
Not specifically, but traditionally:

Microsoft Press Conference: Monday, 10 AM PST
Nintendo Press Conference: Tuesday, 9 AM PST
Sony Press Conference: Tuesday, 12 PM PST

I'm expecting similar times. Everything was really smooth last year; Sony had plenty of buses to get everyone from the Nokia Theater (Nintendo) down to Sony's at the Orpheum.

Edit: All right, never mind, Sony's has apparently been moved to late Monday, which is traditionally EA's time.

Haunted said:
HD screen on the controller?

Good bye, Nintendo. You've gone too far and become nothing more than a novelty toy.
you did NOT just imply the dreamcast was a novelty toy. Screens on controllers are epic.

Cipherr

codswallop said:
So get excited by the fact a new Nintendo console is coming out, rather than getting hung up on the specs?

Yeah really.... I dont get wtf he point is. People are talking about what little info there is, what exactly is the freaking problem?

Anyways the screen on the control sounds weird. Im hesitant to doubt them, looking at history, sony and ms will end up adding them to THEIR controllers years down the line.

Haunted said:
HD screen on the controller?

Good bye, Nintendo. You've gone too far and become nothing more than a novelty toy.

Your kinda kidding yourself if you think a screen on the controller is more out there than the waggle shit is/was.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
MarshMellow96 said:
1. Record sales then? I don't think they would mind.

2. Launch games much?
I don't keep track of sales, but I don't put much clout in launches anyway. They're almost always sold to hardcore gamers. You can't really gauge the success of a system until it's been out for at least a year.

I understand these are launch games and a lot of them are ports, but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling that Nintendo has suddenly got it's act together. There's looking at these rumors and speculation and getting excited about possibilities and then there's reality. What is Nintendo really doing? The DS, Wii and 3DS are significantly under powered compared to the competition. Nintendo has given me no reason to believe their next system change this direction. In fact they've signalled the exact opposite and no amount of speculation is going to change my opinion on that. I've been thru enough system launches here on GAF to see how easy it is to get excited and lose grip on reality. The 3DS is actually the perfect example to look at because it sounds like the same type of step Nintendo will take with it's next console. I'm skeptical, but I think a comparison of PSP<3DS<NGP is likely what we'll see from Nintendo's next console - PS3<WiiHD<PS4. I would love to see them come out with a next gen system that was bleeding edge and lasted 10 years. Unfortunately, I'll believe it when I see it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Feep said:
Not specifically, but traditionally:

Microsoft Press Conference: Monday, 10 AM PST
Nintendo Press Conference: Tuesday, 9 AM PST
Sony Press Conference: Tuesday, 12 PM PST

I'm expecting similar times. Everything was really smooth last year; Sony had plenty of buses to get everyone from the Nokia Theater (Nintendo) down to Sony's at the Orpheum.
Sony already announced their conference for Monday instead:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/12/sony-e3-2011-press-conference-scheduled-for-june-6/

Amir0x

Banned
BowieZ said:
The day I see you use those funny little phrases like "I think" or "In my opinion" will be a bizarre, but yet ultimately dull day on NeoGAF, indeed.

The day I see many of these complaining GAFers understand that all discussion of videogame quality is automatically implied as opinion, not fact, is the day I rejoice for the world growing a little smarter. One does not need to sprinkle "imo", "I think", for any intelligent individual to understand the simple distinction here. Virtually all videogame discussion is opinion, unless we're talking purely on technical merits ("this is 60fps"; "60fps is better than 30fps" or "this is 1080p").

If I meant something is a fact, I will say it. If you or anyone else has difficulty reading and understand the language, I can refer you to some really great websites. It's nothing to be ashamed about.

Doorman

MadOdorMachine said:
Or Sony and Microsoft can ignore Nintendo like they've been doing, wait 2 -3 years after the WiiHD has been released and come out with a much more powerful system. This shouldn't be hard especially if the WiiHD is only as powerful or marginally more powerful than PS3.
Waiting for one year to release won't kill a console's chances in the long run, especially if the consumer is aware that the other efforts are on the way within that year. This very generation proved that.

But if Nintendo's next console is legitimately more powerful than the PS3 and the Xbox 360 (and that is a big if, we have no idea how much of a jump it will really be), then I don't think they could get away with waiting a full two years, certainly not three. That's too much time for Nintendo to grow a very large and very tempting install base, and this time around as the only "next-gen" game in town for a year-plus, the odds are lessened that the core audience would ignore Nintendo in same way things turned out with Wii. Microsoft and Sony would have to at least show something, even if it took them a few years after the announcement before the systems actually came out, and that's plenty of time for Nintendo to devise a counter-strategy.

antonz

Morts said:
Do you actually get double the horizontal resolution when 3D is turned off?
As far as we know games are still showing up 400x240 but we know the screen itself is 800x240. Does the barrier even when turned off forever limit it? I dont know

Ashodin

If it's holiday 2012, I can wait for that. If it's spring 2012, I can wait too. Holiday 2011 is too early. I want to see some awesome efforts for the system arrive on time and not shoehorned.

Zeliard

Amir0x said:
Virtually all videogame discussion is opinion, unless we're talking purely on technical merits ("this is 60fps"; "60fps is better than 30fps" or "this is 1080p").

One would think the bolded in particular is beyond argument, but apparently not with some people. :/

Maybe when the new consoles come out and actually manage to stick at a steady 60 fps for most games (that'll be the day!), some of these people will finally understand what it means to have 60 FPS in your games.

But probably not.

gimz

future gen

actaully, not long after the 3DS released, i was guessing that next Nintendo home console will included a screen, and its a 3D screen

it will look like a Mac, just the screen with a small body and wireless controller

I'm more intrigued by aesthetics than specs for some reason when a new generation arrives. Because you know the specs will be there (more or less) but I'm curious what shape their controller will be, what style it will take on, how the console itself will look, will it be big, small, a cube, etc...

Anyone else like me?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
zero_suit said:
Then, Nintendo would almost certainly grab 1st place yet again if Sony and Microsoft wait that long.
If the Nintendo console is only as powerful as PS3 and 360 how do you figure that? Sony and Microsoft will blow them out of the water if their system isn't powerful enough. If it is powerful, it may force their hand although I have to say, I always figured Nintendo would release first in 2012 and the others would release no sooner than 2013.

jj984jj said:
Yeah, I remember IGN was saying that it would rival the 360 in power. The hype was really overblown and I still don't feel the need to pick one up anytime soon, and I get the feeling the same thing is happening here with Nintendo's next console.
Yep. As far as the videos people are responding with, I'm pleased. However, Nintendo's first party titles don't look this good and it still pales in comparison to what we're seeing on NGP.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:
One would think the bolded in particular is beyond argument, but apparently not with some people. :/

Maybe when the new consoles come out and actually manage to stick at a steady 60 fps for most games (that'll be the day!), some of these people will finally understand what it means to have 60 FPS in your games.

But probably not.

No way. Wii HD will probably not be that much more powerful than PS360, and therefore I doubt if they are going for 1080p regularly they'd be able to get much better framerate standard then we have now. It's a shame, really :(

smurfx

get some go again
Just read the news about a hd screen control. that sounds pretty damn cool. having it be more powerful than the current consoles and i will probably get it. would love to finally play an hd zelda and mario game.

antonz

Mrbob said:
Sony opting to go first this year, interesting. Must be fairly confident in their E3 showing.
Kinda think the NGP was expected to be the Huge thing that until this announcement would likely be true. NGP/3DS would have been the talk of the event. New Home Console though is gonna destroy everything

Amir0x said:
The day I see many of these complaining GAFers understand that all discussion of videogame quality is automatically implied as opinion, not fact, is the day I rejoice for the world growing a little smarter. One does not need to sprinkle "imo", "I think", for any intelligent individual to understand the simple distinction here. Virtually all videogame discussion is opinion, unless we're talking purely on technical merits ("this is 60fps"; "60fps is better than 30fps" or "this is 1080p").

If I meant something is a fact, I will say it. If you or anyone else has difficulty reading and understand the language, I can refer you to some really great websites. It's nothing to be ashamed about.
But what about the film-like quality of sub HD and sub 30's frame rate? What about the "subtle beauty" of it all?

I've actually seen these points used as positives this gen :\

Anyway, can't wait for E3. Either there will be mass rejoicing, or mass suicide. Either way, it's gonna be the most entertaining E3 in forever.

RedSwirl

Zeliard said:

But probably not.

Not this shit again. I guarantee you the 8th gen consoles will all have their fare share of 30fps games, sacrificing framerate for extra eye candy.

60fps might be better technically, and pretty important for certain genres, but not every game actually needs to have the most responsive controls.

antonz

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
But what about the film-like quality of sub HD and sub 30's frame rate? What about the "subtle beauty" of it all?

I've actually seen these points used as positives this gen :\

Anyway, can't wait for E3. Either there will be mass rejoicing, or mass suicide. Either way, it's gonna be the most entertaining E3 in forever.

We will know before E3 if any of this is true or not. IGN is saying a 3DS like press release is coming out this month.

Neiteio

Mmm, I hope they make an HD Zelda cel-shaded like Wind Waker. That game's style was magic. Never replicated in Zelda since. The DS games don't count.

Speaking of Zelda, I suppose there's no chance they'll pull a fast one on us and postpone Skyward Sword to become a Super Wii launch title? Nintendo does like to do successful things again and again and again and again and again...

Amir0x said:
No way. Wii HD will probably not be that much more powerful than PS360, and therefore I doubt if they are going for 1080p regularly they'd be able to get much better framerate standard then we have now. It's a shame, really :(

Well does anyone know how powerful a system you'd need to emulate the Wii? I mean, the Xbox 360 can't emulate the Xbox so we could use that as a starting point.

Mrbob said:
Sony opting to go first this year, interesting. Must be fairly confident in their E3 showing.
That's what I thought too but someone mentioned Microsoft might be doing their conference on Monday morning. Anyway, whatever the schedule might be, all I know if E3 is going to be pretty exciting this year.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Doorman said:
Waiting for one year to release won't kill a console's chances in the long run, especially if the consumer is aware that the other efforts are on the way within that year. This very generation proved that.

But if Nintendo's next console is legitimately more powerful than the PS3 and the Xbox 360 (and that is a big if, we have no idea how much of a jump it will really be), then I don't think they could get away with waiting a full two years, certainly not three. That's too much time for Nintendo to grow a very large and very tempting install base, and this time around as the only "next-gen" game in town for a year-plus, the odds are lessened that the core audience would ignore Nintendo in same way things turned out with Wii. Microsoft and Sony would have to at least show something, even if it took them a few years after the announcement before the systems actually came out, and that's plenty of time for Nintendo to devise a counter-strategy.
Well this all depends on how powerful Nintendo's next system is. I have to admit, I'm not exactly against an idea of Nintendo releasing a system mid cycle like this that's slightly more powerful than the competition. I don't know many gamers that only have one system anymore, so it may just work out well if system launches are staggered. Nintendo seems to be the only one that can really pull it off though.

zero_suit

MadOdorMachine said:
If it is powerful, it may force their hand although I have to say, I always figured Nintendo would release first in 2012 and the others would release no sooner than 2013.

However, Nintendo's first party titles don't look this good and it still pales in comparison to what we're seeing on NGP.

1. That's what I'm assuming.
2. You think Nintendo put a lot of effort into Nintendogs and Pilotwings? Also, graphics don't matter as much in the handheld arena as you think they do.

antonz said:
We will know before E3 if any of this is true or not. IGN is saying a 3DS like press release is coming out this month.
Holy moly. Wow, that's practically tomorrow then. Really hope this isn't all just hype building towards an announcement that isn't coming at all or is about something else entirely :l

Gonna be a kick ass E3. But, Nintendo, you better not lazily up-port your latest Zelda game to your new system like you did with the Wii.

Boney

Banned
ColonelColon said:
unf, I can't wait to see the games Nintendo is preparing for this system. I hope they show a new IP at E3.
maybe they'll show a new metroid game by team ninja for the hardcore gamer

Amir0x said:

Can you put this in one of the FAQs? So many heated arguments would cease when everyone accepts that the majority of what is said is opinion.

illadelph said:
im hoping for a decent online system in place so we can finally get some playable online smash bros

if by decent you mean what 3ds has but maybe slightly better then yea i can see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom