• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogojira

Well fuck, Nintendo has me excited again based off these rumors that undoubtedly have some level of extra excitement added to them.

They succeeded doing the whole cheap as shit Wii thing, and I even like my little white console, but it's time to move on (the tech was ready to move on prelaunch). Thinking about Nintendo IPs in HD with some really nice tech behind it is a nice thought indeed. Can't wait to see what Retro pulls off.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
DR3AM said:
when is e3 again? sony has ngp, nintedno has wii2, ms in trouble?
Not according to the sales of the Xbox 360 and Kinect. M$ is going to see how much life they can pump out of Kinect for sure.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
My guess (I'm sure it's been guessed in the 25 odd pages of this thread already)

is the 'screen on the controller' will actually be the entire controller.

Think an iPhone, in the shape of a wii remote, with haptic feedback. It'll allow a fully customizable controller experience, but with tactile buttons that can be changed at the will of the individual game.

What exactly would be the benefits of having a screen on the controller?

Isn't the controller designed to not to be looked at during gameplay? So that the player isn't brought away from the screen?

Are we looking at something akin to the second screen on the DS - for information/mapscreens/etc that don't require pausing the action to view?

Perhaps the screen could help get rid of HUDs in games. All the info could be relegated to the controller screen and thus remove the need for a HUD in-game?

Genuinely curious.

GavinGT

Banned
Why would Nintendo even both putting out such a powerful system? Their fans aren't going to care about amazing graphics, and PS3/360 fans won't care because they won't like the games, no matter how good they look.

McHuj

The year+ between now and E3 2012 is going to be awesome for rumors.

If Nintendo does announce Wii2 this year, I expect many more rumors to start coming out about the other two guys and at least one reveal by E3 2012.

It's fun, I love the hype and energy that precedes the start of a new console generation.

Truth101

Banned
DrEvil said:
My guess (I'm sure it's been guessed in the 50 odd pages of this thread already)

Think an iPhone, in the shape of a wii remote, with haptic feedback. It'll allow a fully customizable controller experience, but with tactile buttons that can be changed at the will of the individual game.

This would be way too expensive and fragile. Not cost affective at all.

DrEvil said:
My guess (I'm sure it's been guessed in the 50 odd pages of this thread already)

the fallout would be amazing, it's probably gonna have at the least one or 2 physical buttons along with some type of attachment for a joystick or sorts.

_Alkaline_ said:

Isn't the controller designed to not to be looked at during gameplay? So that the player isn't brought away from the screen?

Are we looking at something akin to the second screen on the DS - for information/mapscreens/etc that don't require pausing the action to view?

Perhaps the screen could help get rid of HUDs in games. All the info could be relegated to the controller screen and thus remove the need for a HUD in-game?

Genuinely curious.

That sounds awful. Who would want to look down at their controller every few seconds to check health other status?

I doubt they will keep GCN controller slots exist just like Wii. So...

This is not a technical requirement. Gamecube wireless classic controller. Problem solved and brand new accessory to sell too. Or possibly map the buttons to the new controller. The new controller sounds nothing like a wiimote yet wii games still run somehow.

GavinGT said:
Why would Nintendo even both putting out such a powerful system? Their fans aren't going to care about amazing graphics, and PS3/360 fans won't care because they won't like the games, no matter how good they look.
Except that a lot of Nintendo fans moved on to PS3/360 for the games and the graphics. This could be a very smart move.

Zeliard

_Alkaline_ said:

Genuinely curious.

It would be effective to stick hud-type info there that you would only have to glance at once in a while, to keep the screen clutter-free.

Dreamcast had a screen on its controller that it used in a variety of ways. My memories of this are pretty vague but I remember some sort of virtual pet game in one of the Sonic games, for example, played through the controller screen.

HD screen on controller?

Wii 2 = Dreamcast 2?

dreamcast2logo.png

It's still thinking....

;D

GavinGT said:

I do care, i would buy a Wii HD just for there games. I did not buy Wii cause it was way to under power for this gen.

Naked Prime said:
No matter how powerfull it is Epic will insist that it can't run the latest Unreal Engine & Ubi Soft will still bring the gameZ(s)...still hyped. Though new Nintedo hardware will draw attention & steam away from NGP as far as E3 coverage goes. So sounds like a double win.

The system seems like it would pricey to develop for, I cant imagine the gameZ(s) could have any presence on this device and best left to support the dawdling legacy Wii, DS, and maybe the next gen handhelds.

gundamkyoukai said:
I do care, i would buy a Wii HD just for there games. I did not buy Wii cause it was way to under power for this gen.

Exactly. I knew I wasn't the only one that wanted a HD Wii since the start of this Generation.

snacknuts

we all knew her
DrEvil said:
My guess (I'm sure it's been guessed in the 25 odd pages of this thread already)

That sounds awful.

GavinGT said:

it's already been stated that it doesnt really have to be "such a powerful system" to be more powerful than a ps3 AND cost effective in this day and age. what else would they do? release another system with no significant graphical upgrade and simply a new controller with a touch screen ? aslo many of us here are nintendo fans including myself and we certainly do care for the most part.

thefro

Basileus777 said:
If it's being emulated through software, there's no reason GCN games couldn't be played with a classic controller.

The big issue is going to be the slot loader (if they keep that). I think that's a fairly costly component for them so that it can read both the smaller GC discs and the Wii DVDs.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
gundamkyoukai said:
This , want to get a NGP this year , will get a Wii HD next and then a PS4.
Just hope Sony or MS don't also bring out there consoles next year .

Sony and Microsoft won't have anything until 2013 at the earliest.

Cipherr

neptunes said:
All Iwata did was mention that they were working on a console code-named revolution and brought out a console that looked like a cable modem. It wasn't event slated to release for almost year and a half later.

iwata.jpg

Yeah, umm that console was the follow up to the Gamecube. You can bet your little ass if they officially mention their next console in ANY manner, the story of the freaking show will be "Nintendo's next console, can they do it again!?".

Anyone should be able to see that a mile away. It will definitely suck the wind out of most everything else there.

antonz

Nintendo going HD and powerful system wise makes the whole game a battle of exclusives.

If you mostly prefer Nintendos own IPs but cant get enough of COD etc so you feel forced to buy another console you might suddenly find yourself quite content with a Wii2 that meets all your goals.

If you obviously love Sony IPs or Halo more than then Nintendo going HD and powerful may mean jackshit

Rockman-X

Neo Member
_Alkaline_ said:

Genuinely curious.
Offline multiplayer games, not allowing others to see your choices, sending info ONLY for a specific player, etc.

gogojira

Fernando Rocker said:
The only downside is going to be the $60 games...

I'll pay an extra $10 for the huge graphical bump. When games release on all platforms, I certainly don't save the $10 and buy the Wii version.

v1oz

Basileus777 said:
I don't see what the benefit of using mobile components would be. Heat and power consumption aren't nearly as important for a console (barring RROD type fuck-ups), and a mobile gpu/cpu is going to be easily outclassed by whatever Microsoft and Sony put in their consoles.
It's a important if u want to make the machine compact.

thefro said:
The big issue is going to be the slot loader (if they keep that). I think that's a fairly costly component for them so that it can read both the smaller GC discs and the Wii DVDs.

This is a good point. Still, they could sell Gamecube games digitally since it would be easy to emulate them if they already have a working Wii emulator.

Foffy

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
The only downside is going to be the $60 games...

Pricing is the current devil to the industry.

At least Nintendo's games are more than worth their current prices, so as long as they don't bend to the other companies in terms of "DLC", I don't mind the bite.

Cipherr said:
Yeah, umm that console was the follow up to the Gamecube. You can bet your little ass if they officially mention their next console in ANY manner, the story of the freaking show will be "Nintendo's next console, can they do it again!?".

Anyone should be able to see that a mile away. It will definitely suck the wind out of most everything else there.

lol it's funny because back then the headlines were stuff like "Nintendo's next console, maybe their last!?"

Doorman

It's probably been suggested somewhere in this monster of a topic (practically a new page every time I refresh the damn thing), but all this talk about a touch screen for a console makes a lot of sense to me as the most recent way for Nintendo to bridge their non-gamer efforts of the Wii into more traditional styles of play.

A large part of why the Wii worked to begin with was their thinking that nongamers were scared off by obtuse button layouts and complicated designs, and this would do away with a lot of those problems in a couple of ways. For one, a screen-controller would be fully customizable, meaning that you could generate as many or as few buttons as are needed to control the game. The control layout could shift as needed depending on what's going on in real time.

Maybe simpler in idea but more important in impact, is that screen-buttons would effectively eliminate one of the current barriers of assigning game actions to arbitrary buttons. You don't have to worry about trying to teach people controls in the sense of "press A to jump," then watch the person try and fish out where the A-button is...you'd just have a literal "Jump" button right on the controller. Demo kiosks often have card printouts that tell you button assignments, this would be like having that as an integrated part of the controller itself. You would never not know how to control a game, the only adjustment is figuring out how that action works within the context of the game world. It's a simple but nonetheless exciting proposition.

longdi

Banned
RedSwirl said:
I was thinking that too. I will laugh my ass off if there ends up being a Wii2 version with the graphics and features of the PC version.

I will laugh myself to death if there is a Wii2 version of The Witcher 2.

Unless Nintendo wants to pack in a GTX580 in Wii2...how about no? I expect Wii2 to have something like a HD5750 gpu, something better than ps360 gpu but not enough power to run dx11 graphics at good framerates.

ZeroRay

ReyVGM said:
No. Wii plays GC games because it has an actual GC chip inside.

Wii hardware is just a slightly upgraded Gamecube. There's no reason for the Wii2 not to be able to emulate the Gamecube if it is indeed backwards compatible.

ReyVGM

Fernando Rocker said:
I think it has two...

;-)

I wasn't being sarcastic. I meant to say that the reason the Wii plays GC games is because it has the GC's CPU in addition to the Wii's CPU.

For the next console, if it plays Wii games, it's because it has the Wii's CPU inside. I doubt Nintendo will also add the GC's CPU.

Just look at the portables, each new one removes compatibility with the older releases.

Doorman said:
It's probably been suggested somewhere in this monster of a topic (practically a new page every time I refresh the damn thing), but all this talk about a touch screen for a console makes a lot of sense to me as the most recent way for Nintendo to bridge their non-gamer efforts of the Wii into more traditional styles of play.

A large part of why the Wii worked to begin with was their thinking that nongamers were scared off by obtuse button layouts and complicated designs, and this would do away with a lot of those problems in a couple of ways. For one, a screen-controller would be fully customizable, meaning that you could generate as many or as few buttons as are needed to control the game. The control layout could shift as needed depending on what's going on in real time.

Maybe simpler in idea but more important in impact, is that screen-buttons would effectively eliminate one of the current barriers of assigning game actions to arbitrary buttons. You don't have to worry about trying to teach people controls in the sense of "press A to jump," then watch the person try and fish out where the A-button is...you'd just have a literal "Jump" button right on the controller. Demo kiosks often have card printouts that tell you button assignments, this would be like having that as an integrated part of the controller itself. You would never not know how to control a game, the only adjustment is figuring out how that action works within the context of the game world. It's a simple but nonetheless exciting proposition.

This isn't bad. Makes sense too considering Nintendo's approach.

pvpness

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Battlefield 3 (PC,Xbox 360, PS3.....Wii2?)
Pointer aiming BF3 would make me happy.

All these rumors are nuts. Gonna be interesting to see what comes from all of it; glad we don't have to wait long. I still have zero reason to think that western third parties will have any serious interest in developing for Nintendo hardware. Cutting edge or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom