• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Brit

Banned
UnblessedSoul said:
Really really doubt those rumours are true, they wouldn't go the complete opposite of what brought them so much money and success, they don't want to do a ps3 now do they
Huh? I think people are vastly overestimating the power of the PS3. An incredibly cheap $70 customised AMD/nvidia GPU would absolutely blow the PS3/360 out of the water, combine that with some cheap 1GB GDDR5 and a 3/4 Core PowerPC CPU and you have a dirt cheap system which will cost less than $200 to make but will absolutely blow the 360 and PS3 away.

What you need to take away from this is that Nintendo will have to purposefully gimp their system for it not to have better graphics than the PS3.

If this system isn't noticeably better than the PS3 then Nintendo deserve the ridicule of every single gamer.

EDarkness

Lonely1 said:
I would be fine with this. Wiimote biggest (only) disadvantage was the lack of proper third person camera control, which the touch pad can take care of.

I thought that attaching the camera to the pointer was a great idea. Worked well for Scarface, and I was hoping more companies would do that as well.

Mojojo

this console smells more and more like an IPad-like device, that maybe you can dock on a main part'(on which you could plug traditional controllers etc..) to use it on a TV when at home

Amir0x

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
I love that you're the first to comply with Stump's sticky thread, a leading example, GAF's own poster child :p

I read the FAQ when it was still just a baby. I know when a rule is being broke or not; no rule was broke. Besides, there's a bitter Apple fan exemption. But even if there wasn't, still no rules broke!

Dirtbag

Sounds neat, hope they take online gaming serious as well... though I doubt I'll get more then one console next generation and it'll will likely be an xbox or playstation. Screen on a controller does sound pretty interesting though, will be interesting to see what they cook up for it.

Mr_Brit said:
Huh? I think people are vastly overestimating the power of the PS3. An incredibly cheap $70 customised AMD/nvidia GPU would absolutely blow the PS3/360 out of the water, combine that with some cheap 1GB GDDR5 and a 3/4 Core PowerPC CPU and you have a dirt cheap system which will cost less than $200 to make but will absolutely blow the 360 and PS3 away.

What you need to take away from this is that Nintendo will have to purposefully gimp their system for it not to have better graphics than the PS3.

Yes, at this point even the cheapest config will get you better performances than ps360.

Zeal

Banned
Mojojo said:
this console smells more and more like an IPad-like device, that maybe you can dock on a main part'(on which you could plug traditional controllers etc..) to use it on a TV when at home
God no

iTV befor iTV? cant see them puting out a HD TV touch screen that just a little too silly

away wii mote work well ans have buttons better then get up to touch screen or waveing your hands around

ant1532 said:
Its so sad you have no idea.

I don't disagree that motion controls are here to say but why don't you think its possible to be packed with two types of controls? A normal controller and maybe something more like kinect or PSMove.

here are the options i see
1) this new controller could be more akin to a traditional controller (think snes or classic controller pro) but with a touch screen somewhere and then they also have the wiimote packed in and optional in all games and its up to gamers to choose how they play.

2) the new controller is remote like with a touch screen somewhere
classic/traditional controller is packed in a treated with respect and made optional in all games

3) same as 2 but classic controller isn't packed in and is treated no differently than the one of this gen.

Dead Man

Branduil said:
I don't.

Pointer controls are objectively better at pointing than an analog stick. It's not even debatable.

That's ok. Just don't ask everyone else to be forced to use inferior dual analog control schemes and we're fine.
Yep. It is absolutely better for pointing. But better for all FPS control schemes? Can't say you are right on that one.

wrowa

Mr_Brit said:
Huh? I think people are vastly overestimating the power of the PS3. (...)
People don't really get that PS3 and 360 are both 5 year old hardware.

A Wii 2 that is "significantly" more capable than the PS3 will technically in the same ballpark as the Wii was compared to PS2/GCN.

Amir0x said:
Well, first, with their introduction of the miserably flawed motion controllers which now fucking 'tard Sony thought prudent to copy. And then by influencing/inspiring Microsoft to go after the game haters market via the laggy, barely functional Kinect. And then by making just miserably powered platforms with DS and Wii, ensuring any 3D games that came out for them almost immediately looked dated. Particularly with DS, this essentially held back the entire handheld industry for a generation. Most developers made games for DS, and the result is embarrassing garbage like Okamiden - a true insult to fans of the series who also did not want to get their eyes stabbed blind. By imprisoning their own franchises to a generation of near completely nonfunctional online infrastructure, non-HD, Xbox-level visuals and shoddily designed motion gimmicks.

Just my opinion, yo.

That's fine, but it seems like a lot of this stuff is really you being mad at others -- Sony, Microsoft, Capcom, etc. -- for making decisions influenced by Nintendo's success.

I don't think that the lack of power on the Wii really hindered games like Mario Galaxy other than visually, though even then Galaxy is very pretty to look at.

If you look at it as Nintendo's responsibility to herald cutting-edge tech and things then that is one thing, but there are so many other avenues for that kind of thing that I'm kind of glad they're looking at other things that might not have been really tried otherwise. The horsepower of the DS was lacking, sure, but the touchscreen was absolutely vital for progress in portable games. Personally I preferred their vision of handheld games as being a different experience from console games, which is why I bought and continue to enjoy the DS.

On the same note, I don't think that games have to be locked to one consumer group. I was happy to be able to play Wii games with my family when I hadn't really been able to play console games with them before. I want every console to at least have a pointer now, and I also prefer having the parts of the controller split as well, though I don't know that we'll really see that moving forward.

I have a great PC and a 360/PS3 for the traditional setup with experiences that I can predict and enjoy. But I'm glad that, even if there are missteps (and there are plenty), that the industry is maturing and growing beyond the teenager/young males only club.

I would love a touch screen *display* to be *part* of the controller,
but the whole controller is just a godawful idea.

Select your own plays without your friends peepin' them, etc.

Dreamcast <3

timetokill said:
I don't think that the lack of power on the Wii really hindered games like Mario Galaxy other than visually, though even then Galaxy is very pretty to look at.
Your software is at the end of the day limited by your hardware.
The tools you have to build a house affect what the house looks like and how big it is.

Need any more metaphors?

Discomurf

Hip Hop Gamer actually video bloged about this a month ago and has some interesting details. I gotta say he deserves some credit for being right on some things (if this is all true)...

check out this video

Jump to the 15 min mark... *note the player is progressive download not streaming, you'll have to wait for it do download before you can jump ahead.

Jarmel

Banned
Nintendo would have to be beyond insane to release a touch only controller. It would destroy third-party support more so than gimped hardware ever would.

antonz

AniHawk said:
like an idiot, i just realized why they're pre-announcing it later this month.
Was probably meant to be their big ace in the hole at the Japanese Business Meeting to get investors happy.

wrowa

jump_button said:
iTV befor iTV? cant see them puting out a HD TV touch screen that just a little too silly
Maybe the hardware is inside the controller or something. Hybrid of handheld and home console. You can plug it into the TV when you are at home, and you can play it on the go when you aren't.

Yeah, doesn't make any sense and would be needless competition for the 3DS. That "HD screen" just seems so non-sensual.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AniHawk said:
like an idiot, i just realized why they're pre-announcing it later this month and not surprising people at e3.

Why?

I'm stupid.

Branduil

Kosma said:
Predecessors but not competitors.

PSP > DS
360/PS3 > Wii
iPad2 / NGP > 3DS

All 3 of them are a generation behind any direct competitor.
Calling iPad 2 a direct competitor is nutty. It's a tablet computer.

Sony took a bath on the PSP, and while the NGP is much more reasonable, it's also very large for a handheld. You can disagree with Nintendo prioritizing compactness, or say it's overpriced, but the 3DS is really not that underpowered.

AniHawk

antonz said:
Was probably meant to be their big ace in the hole at the Japanese Business Meeting to get investors happy.

yep. especially if wii forecasts are extremely low (single digits).

that, or they were planning on launching it this fiscal year like one of the rumors said.

wrowa

AniHawk said:
like an idiot, i just realized why they're pre-announcing it later this month and not surprising people at e3.
"our 3DS hardware sales are lacking and we don't have an immediate solution for that... HEY LOOK WE GOT NEW HARDWARE"

When does this fiscal year end? March?

I really hope thats true. Although 3DSs launch in Spring wasnt so spectacular, maybe it'll work out better for Wii2 with a better launch lineup.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Amir0x said:
I read the FAQ when it was still just a baby. I know when a rule is being broke or not; no rule was broke. Besides, there's a bitter Apple fan exemption. But even if there wasn't, still no rules broke!

I was just kidding mate

ALL HAIL APP.LE

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rush2thestart said:
When does this fiscal year end? March?

I really hope thats true. Although 3DSs launch in Spring wasnt so spectacular, maybe it'll work out better for Wii2 with a better launch lineup.
The fiscal year for almost every game industry publisher (I think Microsoft is the only exception since Take-Two switched) starts on April 1st and ends at the end of March, so you would be correct.

AniHawk

in 2010 and 2009, their fiscal year report came out in the first week of may. in 2007 and 2008, it came out in the last week of april (26th and 24th).

edit: well nevermind then.

watershed

Banned
wrowa said:
Maybe the hardware is inside the controller or something. Hybrid of handheld and home console. You can plug it into the TV when you are at home, and you can play it on the go when you aren't.

Yeah, doesn't make any sense and would be needless competition for the 3DS. That "HD screen" just seems so non-sensual.

Huh? HD sounds pretty sexy to me! jk :p

Sirius

Jarmel said:
Nintendo would have to be beyond insane to release a touch only controller. It would destroy third-party support more so than gimped hardware ever would.
Think about Wii for a second. Apart from the central Wiimote control scheme it allows for 3 separate types of controllers. I doubt that the successor will take a step back and only be compatible with the main touch screen controller.

Mr_Brit

Banned
wrowa said:
People don't really get that PS3 and 360 are both 5 year old hardware.

A Wii 2 that is "significantly" more capable than the PS3 will technically in the same ballpark as the Wii was compared to PS2/GCN.
Nope. The Wii 2 could easily be twice as strong as the 360/PS3. Something around the level of an ATI HD 4870 which is easily a $70 GPU at this point if made at 28nm would be more than twice as strong as the 360/PS3 GPUs, combined with 1GB of GDDR5 that could easily run Crysis completely maxed out at 720p at 30+FPS. Nintendo would really have to be penny pinching to an even bigger degree than they were with the 3DS for it to 'only' be a Wii level jump(assuming the GCN is the PS3 and Wii is their next system).

wrowa said:

inside the controller we would have to lose the wii mote they be no room on it it have to be somthing you hold with two hands

antonz

04/26/2011 03:00* Full Year 2011 Nintendo Co Ltd Earnings Presentation(Japanese)
04/25/2011 09:00* Full Year 2011 Nintendo Earnings Release

*EST

These are the dates to expect the announcement on one or the other

NateDrake

Discomurf said:
Hip Hop Gamer actually video bloged about this a month ago and has some interesting details. I gotta say he deserves some credit for being right on some things (if this is all true)...

check out this video

Jump to the 15 min mark... *note the player is progressive download not streaming, you'll have to wait for it do download before you can jump ahead.
Seriously? Predicting a Wii HD doesn't make him right. Anyone could have said it would be HD and have power equal or greater than the PS3. Patcher was right back in 2007 then also.

ant1532

Banned
antonz said:
04/26/2011 03:00* Full Year 2011 Nintendo Co Ltd Earnings Presentation(Japanese)

*EST

megatonz

bangai-o

Banned
shinobi602 said:
2whi7nt.gif
Penguin ruined the 1st reply

Duderz

Banned
antonz said:

*EST

All right. Time to get hyped. :)

AniHawk

Nirolak said:
They're actually announced their date this year: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

FY 2011 (ending March 2012)
Apr. 25, 2011 Fiscal Year Earnings Release[Scheduled]
antonz said:

*EST

now that that mystery's solved, let's all go home.

antonz

Duderz said:
All right. Time to get hyped. :)
Just a quick comment. Not confirming it will happen. IGN could be full of shit but if it does it will be then unless Nintendo decides to 1 AM us again randomly.

lherre

Accurate
I saw some of the specs of wii2 and no, is no "way more powerful" than the actual consoles.

Nintendo (at least for the actual kits) will be a generation behind (in horsepower) from sony-ms machines (if sony and ms have a jump in power near ps2-xbox ps3-x360)

(the specs aren't closed yet but I don't think the main things change a lot to final hardware)

Mr_Brit

Banned
Gamer98 said:
They need to step up their approach to online gaming. Friend codes need to go.
Friend codes are here to stay, the 3DS has made it abundantly clear that they believe it creates the best online environment.

Gamer98 said:
They need to step up their approach to online gaming. Friend codes need to go.

honestly except for both people having to type it in , its very ok on 3ds. their online still needs lots of work though.

Branduil

lherre said:
I saw some of the specs of wii2 and no, is no "way more powerful" than the actual consoles.

Nintendo (at least for the actual kits) will be a generation behind (in horsepower) from sony-ms machines (if sony and ms have a jump in power near ps2-xbox ps3-x360)
If you're going to claim to have seen the specs, then spill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom