• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this thread I learned that HD is a step backwards and that it is not a good idea for the game industry to move forward with better technology.

But in all seriousness I'm super excited for a new HD nintendo console. I hope that it will be on par graphics-wise with PS4 and the next xbox. Hopefully it will take full advantage of 3dtvs as well (it will give me an excuse to buy one)

Branduil

TheVampire said:
Anyone think Wii2 will be able to do full AA and AF?
Again, if they even just shove in a several-years-old GPU, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to. Of course that won't mean developers will use it. Developers often ignore AF on the 360 and PS3 even though it's one of the easiest ways to make your textures look better.

Mr_Brit said:
It better be able to at least do 8xMSAA and 16xAF.

Some form of MLAA would probably be better than MSAA.

Even just 8xAF would be good enough for me but I bet a lot of developers won't use any at all.

Amir0x said:
Well, first, with their introduction of the miserably flawed motion controllers which now fucking 'tard Sony thought prudent to copy. And then by influencing/inspiring Microsoft to go after the game haters market via the laggy, barely functional Kinect. And then by making just miserably powered platforms with DS and Wii, ensuring any 3D games that came out for them almost immediately looked dated. Particularly with DS, this essentially held back the entire handheld industry for a generation. Most developers made games for DS, and the result is embarrassing garbage like Okamiden - a true insult to fans of the series who also did not want to get their eyes stabbed blind. By imprisoning their own franchises to a generation of near completely nonfunctional online infrastructure, non-HD, Xbox-level visuals and shoddily designed motion gimmicks.

Just my opinion, yo.

Again I don't understand this. Very few of hardcore game developers made games on Nintendo consoles. Most of them made games on the PS3/360. Unfortunately a lot of them were PC developers who had to dumb down their games for console game players. First Person Shooters use to have very open maps and not be all that linear, now you practically just go straight in a line. PC games use to always have the most cutting edge of graphics, yet now games like Battlefield 3 and Crysis are few and far inbetween. Crysis 2 looks nowhere near as impressive as one did on its hey day, and its not on an open map. This is probably due to the fact that modern console hardware isn't too capable at making detailed openended maps.

And this isn't even mentioning stupid crap like DLC that has developers charging for stuff like map packs that use to be free on the PC side.

This is why I'm baffled to way people have said this. Very few hardcore developers have went to Nintendo or the gimmicky motion controls.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TheVampire said:
Anyone think Wii2 will be able to do full AA and AF?
Well, the 360 and PS3 can do full AA and AF.

Developers just don't because they like to push the systems further.

That said, I think the architecture will support doing AF better than the current consoles and if we are lucky it will have something resembling a compute shader that can do MLAA fairly cheap.

Amir0x

Banned
also one of the things people are kind of not discussing is the huuuuuge risk Nintendo is taking in blowing their load so early that when their competitors come out they are again vastly more powerful and thus, ports will be difficult. The inability to receive functional ports was one of the largest factors in destroying their third party support last gen.

Will be very curious indeed

This gen I've been happy with only a PS3 and a gaming PC but if Wii2 turns out like the rumors are saying I might pick it up along with the PS4. Zelda finally in HD is hard to miss out on. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Amir0x said:
also one of the things people are kind of not discussing is the huuuuuge risk Nintendo is taking in blowing their load so early that when their competitors come out they are again vastly more powerful and thus, ports will be difficult. The inability to receive functional ports was one of the largest factors in destroying their third party support last gen.

I think they are hoping to get enough support before the opposing consoles launch that people wont want to drop development for the system.

Zeliard

Amir0x said:

Could end up a similar case as the PS3 coming out a year after the 360 but not showing a leap in power that ultimately proved to be anything terribly significant.

orioto

Good Art™
What surprises me in those rumors is the graphical power thing. It's actually logical, cause they always go for the last gen tech, but that will be a big problem for them. And it will probably be the exact same thing as the 3ds compared to its respective generation. Same or less raw power but modern shaders to make it impressive.

Nintendo is always slowwwwwwwwwwwwww to update the graphics of their games. The hell, even when GC was released, they used some N64 models for their pokemon games for exemple.

Do you see Nintendo actually working on some Zelda with the type of production value you would find in crytek games or this kind of games ?Do you see a Smash Bros with high polys models for every characters ? A metroid ?

That will take them forever to do all that. if HD towns were a pain in the ass for SE, i can imagine the giant problem for Nintendo's small teams.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Speaking Of Zelda, Nintendo mentioned they had Skyward Sword, OOT 3D, and something else for the 25th anniversary.

I was thinking the "something else" would be a bundle or a maybe a virtual console/3DS ware release.... but now..... with this HD Screen.......

What about a NEW Four Swords Adventures? For Super Wii. Holiday 2011.

Believe.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:

It won't be nearly the same situation as wii though. Since we would get modern hardware, might not be as powerful, but modern still. The Wii main problem wasn't that they went for a profit-day-one-20W small system that targeted SD resolutions. It's main problem was that it was using extremely dated, non standard, 1990s tech.

There's also the issue that MS/Sony shareholders might not tolerate another "lose billions" strategy in the face of the success of Nintendo and Apple.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

i think sony would be glad not to end up in an almost-dead position again, and microsoft just started making a profit only a couple years ago. while i think both will do the $399.99 launch-while-taking-a-loss, it won't be a huge loss.

there's also the possibility that microsoft goes next year too. i think they might do it, especially if it leaves sony all alone for a year. also, the 360 would be eight years old if its successor hit in 2013.

Amir0x said:

Exactly my thoughts.

My thoughts exactly?

Which one is it?

Too early to speak properly.

Branduil

Amir0x said:

Well that's why how they start is important. If they build a hardcore base early on, it could ensure continued support even if the Sony/MS systems are more powerful.

Zeliard said:
Could end up a similar case as the PS3 coming out a year after the 360 but not showing a leap in power that ultimately proved to be anything terribly significant.

My thoughts as well. As long as Wii 2 has 1080P output, 4 gigs+ RAM, blu-ray or equivalent media, a large HDD, a strong shader pipeline, etc, it won't matter that much if PS4/Xbox720 have more powerful processors.

What would be an example of a game that PS4/Xbox720 could do, but Wii 2 couldn't without a noticeable downgrade?

Zeliard

Remember that the 360 coming out early is also what helped it get a leg up on Sony. By the time the PS3 came out, the 360's Xbox Live was basically in full swing and Sony was left playing catch-up the rest of the gen.

Eteric Rice

AniHawk said:
like an idiot, i just realized why they're pre-announcing it later this month and not surprising people at e3.

Why?

Look at my tag, now back to me.

Why?

Amir0x said:

Could be another PS2 situation, though. Games built on the weakest system, ported to the more powerful ones.

I don't mind if it's weaker than the other next gen system, as long as it's at least PS2 level in comparison.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AniHawk said:
i think sony would be glad not to end up in an almost-dead position again, and microsoft just started making a profit only a couple years ago. while i think both will do the $399.99 launch-while-taking-a-loss, it won't be a huge loss.

there's also the possibility that microsoft goes next year too. i think they might do it, especially if it leaves sony all alone for a year. also, the 360 would be eight years old if its successor hit in 2013.
I think ultimately the question is a bit unanswerable until we know what "significantly more powerful than the PS3" actually means.

If it's a 3DS like system, Sony could definitely sell a notably more powerful system for a similar cost without losing much (or anything).

If it's an NGP like system, Sony could not, even coming in a year later.

Amir0x

Banned
Lonely1 said:
It won't be nearly the same situation as wii though. Since we would get modern hardware, might not be as powerful, but modern still. The Wii main problem wasn't that they went for a profit-day-one-20W small system that targeted SD resolutions. The main problem was that it was using extremely dated 1990s tech.

It really doesn't work that way though. If, say, Sony and Microsoft come out a year or two after Wii HD and they're utilizing a true generational leap of tech from PS3/360, and Nintendo is stuck with, say, only somewhat more powerful than PS3/360, but still in that same generation, then porting is again going to become immensely difficult. It is not merely a matter of being in HD. Sure, they will be able to handle some more of the scale of the generational gap, but again, there will be huge limitations inherent in a platform that far behind the competitors. It's always one step so far, and then there's perceptional gap of once more just being ancient.

AniHawk said:
they're still making that zelda game you hate.

If that still comes out on Wii, so be it. If Nintendo had half a brain, they'd put out Xenoblade, The Last Story, Kirby, and DKCR 2 this year for Wii to hold it over, and a New Super Mario Bros. 2 next spring, and delay Skyward Sword to the Wii successor.

If not, guess what? This means at some point, I'm finally getting Zelda HD. No more excuses from Nintendo that their console is SD or can't handle high quality music samples. And probably best of all (if true) - NO MORE WAGGLE. Hope has been restored.

MYE

If it has full Wii/GC compatibility, i hope they do a fair trade-in campaign.
I have enough consoles, games, peripherals and shit in my house as it is.

Jin34

Nirolak said:
I think they are hoping to get enough support before the opposing consoles launch that people wont want to drop development for the system.

That would only work if they have a good idea of when MS/Sony will have new systems out and what kind of tech they will pack in.

AniHawk

TSA said:
If that still comes out on Wii, so be it. If Nintendo had half a brain, they'd put out Xenoblade, The Last Story, Kirby, and DKCR 2 this year for Wii to hold it over, and a New Super Mario Bros. 2 next spring, and delay Skyward Sword to the Wii successor.

If not, guess what? This means at some point, I'm finally getting Zelda HD. No more excuses from Nintendo that their console is SD or can't handle high quality music samples. And probably best of all (if true) - NO MORE WAGGLE. Hope has been restored.

i was referring to zelda colors.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DoomXploder7 said:
the question then is how vast a leap will sony and microsoft make this time around, especially after this gen.
Or how vast a leap Nintendo is making.

We're still sitting on an extremely relativistic, unspecific statement of power.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Amir0x said:

Yeah, this is the thing. Even if it's equal to or slightly greater than the PS3, they will still be a gen behind, granted that the PS4/720 are a full gen step up from what we have now.

I mean, Wii HD sounds awesome right now but a 3-4 years from now, I can see it being the same situation all over again. I'm psyched about Mario and Zelda games on that kind of hardware, but we will still have to deal with the same kind of 3rd party problems if it's gonna be a step behind PS4/720...downgraded ports and all that kind of shit.

neoanarch

Nirolak said:

Sony could stick to the 10 year lifecycle which would mean at least another 5 years. Microsoft said they expect the 360 to last till 2015. If Nintendo sticks to another 5-6 year cycle they would only really compete for a year or two.

AniHawk said:

It's possible of course, but I think Microsoft is eager to make it's Kinectbox success last as long as it can now that it's actually starting to kick some ass at retail and bring in the money. Sony is less tied down since arguably Move was less of a risk. But still, I don't think either will want to 2012 launch, and I don't think either are in a position to go for a 2012 launch if they haven't already been planning for it.

Zeliard said:

The reason PS3 came out a year later had a lot to do with Blu-ray. Remember those blue laser diode shortages and all that? Overall, PS3 tech is not one year ahead of Xbox 360 tech.

But if Nintendo manages to recapture the casual market with its new controller, the difference in power won't matter (it will matter to some core gamers, of course). What will pose a bigger threat is Kinect 2 and maybe Sony's next controller.

EDarkness

Amir0x said:

In my opinion, I think they're going with the idea that if they can get in first and have a modest enough bump, then they'll still be viable in a few years and be able to reap the benefits of ports even if they're still the lowest spec on the block. With their own IPs keeping people interested in their system. As long as players can get functional ports of games like Mass Effect 3, I think most people would be happy. I just don't think they can continue with the Wii in its current state, so doing something sooner rather than later would be a good way to keep investors happy.

upandaway

I don't have too much time to sink into this, but in a nutshell, so everyone consider this real now? Why? Forced leak what? Pre-announcement what?

Some summary will be nice.

Mr_Brit

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
the question then is how vast a leap will sony and microsoft make this time around, especially after this gen.
After 8 years time(assuming Sony/MS launch in 2013), it would be impossible to not be a generational leap over the 360 and PS3.

AiTM

Banned
This has probably been discussed on the 60 plus pages (my god)...but what position will this put MS and Sony in?

If this is ahead of PS360, then are they really just going to sit back and let it gather market-share? They cant just sit and be quiet on the issue now. I would think all three manufacturers have been planning their next gen for a while now, they were just waiting on one to open fire before finalizing their plans. Also I would think investors at MS/Sony would be pushing them also, if Nintendo gains alot of hype from this.

Or we will just have some weird future where all consoles come out 1 to 2 years apart, and all vastly different specs for each.

Another thing, if they did do a WiiHD, not a new system, couldn't they just market it as an upgrade? Like the DSi, XL, etc...PC games are developed to run on multiple systems, couldn't Devs code a game for 2 systems, and upon putting the game in it detects what system you are using, and adjusts settings accordingly.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I love how some of you guys are humoring the thought of no motion control.

Actually.... I hate that you're even humoring it.

Stop making me worry dammit.

EDarkness

Skiesofwonder said:
I love how some of you guys are humoring the thought of no motion control.

Actually.... I hate that you're even humoring it.

Stop making me worry dammit.

I'm pretty sure we'll have motion controls. The only real thing to worry about is how the controller is setup. If they go with a modified traditional controller, then I'll be a little sad. Having the controller split like the remote and nunchuck was awesome and I'd like to see that carried over to the next console.

Mr_Brit

Banned
AiTM said:
This has probably been discussed on the 60 plus pages (my god)...but what position will this put MS and Sony in?

If this is ahead of PS360, then are they really just going to sit back and let it gather market-share? They cant just sit and be quiet on the issue now. I would think all three manufacturers have been planning their next gen for a while now, they were just waiting on one to open fire before finalizing their plans. Also I would think investors at MS/Sony would be pushing them also, if Nintendo gains alot of hype from this.

Or we will just have some weird future where all consoles come out 1 to 2 years apart, and all vastly different specs for each.

Another thing, if they did do a WiiHD, not a new system, couldn't they just market it as an upgrade? Like the DSi, XL, etc...PC games are developed to run on multiple systems, couldn't Devs code a game for 2 systems, and upon putting the game in it detects what system you are using, and adjusts settings accordingly.
MS/Sony won't be more than a year behind this system so I doubt they'll worry all that much especially since their machines will be a true generational leap over the 360 and PS3 unlike this machine which sounds like it won't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom