• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
lherre said:
I saw some of the specs of wii2 and no, is no "way more powerful" than the actual consoles.

Nintendo (at least for the actual kits) will be a generation behind (in horsepower) from sony-ms machines (if sony and ms have a jump in power near ps2-xbox ps3-x360)

(the specs aren't closed yet but I don't think the main things change a lot to final hardware)

Where did you see these specs?

Alright, I'm gonna give you a list of reasons why I am (understatement of the century!) less than pleased with what these rumors are saying.

* One of the biggest problems facing the games industry is the escalation of development costs (and therefore the risks of developing), which has already caused many a developer to go under and make those that survive more risk-averse. Even before the Wii was announced, I've felt that the best solution to this problem was to decrease the gaps in technology between generations while at the same time extending the life of those generations for as long as possible. With the Wii I felt Nintendo understood the problem and was the industry's best hope of getting out of the crisis. If these rumors are true, that was just a fluke and the crisis is only gonna get worse.

* It's just not right that the most successful of the current consoles is not the last one to be replaced.

* I don't like the vast majority of games that the so-called hardcore gamer likes, so if this machine's trying to woo them, chances are slim to none that I'll like it.

* The Wiimote converted me to motion controls and there's no way in hell I'm going back to traditional controllers even if backwards compatibility means I'll still be able to use the Wiimote.

* Maybe it's my wonky eyes, but HD just doesn't work for me on a TV screen. Heck, I literally can't watch it for more than a few minutes before my eyes start watering. To me, HD is nothing less than a step backwards, and if I'm not impressed now, I'm never gonna be.

Anyway, that's why I can't see myself buying a Wii2 and will stick with my Wii. Sony and Microsoft have already disqualified themselves for me ages ago, so I guess the future's handheld/PC only. It's been fun but its time to go.

Though, for what it's worth, there's no console I'd rather spend the rest of my (gaming) life with than a Wii.

NateDrake

lherre said:
At the moment is confidential info, so ... no public release of them of course.
And if MS and Sony don't have a jump equal to the PS2-PS3 then where does that put the Wii2 in comparison?

* Maybe it's my wonky eyes, but HD just doesn't work for me on a TV screen. Heck, I literally can't watch it for more than a few minutes before my eyes start watering. To me, HD is nothing less than a step backwards, and if I'm not impressed now, I'm never gonna be.
I think you should see an eye professional. If you can't look at a HD screen without watery eyes then something is amiss with your sight.

lherre

Accurate
NateDrake said:
And if MS and Sony don't have a jump equal to the PS2-PS3 then where does that put the Wii2 in comparison?

At the moment, I won't say "way more" powerful, simply more powerful in some areas.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
lherre said:
I saw some of the specs of wii2 and no, is no "way more powerful" than the actual consoles.

Nintendo (at least for the actual kits) will be a generation behind (in horsepower) from sony-ms machines (if sony and ms have a jump in power near ps2-xbox ps3-x360)

(the specs aren't closed yet but I don't think the main things change a lot to final hardware)
Spill the beans then. Also, we need to take the specs in perspective. a Dual core 2.2Ghz llano, for example, might not sound impressive, but it does give a fair beating to the 360 CPU.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
lherre said:
At the moment is confidential info, so ... no public release of them of course.

Ugh.. Isn't this bannable? the whole cllaiming to have info then dangling it out in front of the crowd? Basically the "don't speak unless you can spill" stance.

Either way, it's really annoying.

Edit: Nevermind. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Vangu Vegro said:

you are literally the first person I've ever heard say the HD "doesn't work." What the hell could make HD "not work"? It's not 3D. It's not causing intense extra added eye strain or some shit. It's enhancing clarity through added resolution. Do you have glaucoma? I can perhaps see you saying you don't see a big DIFFERENCE (even though, again, the fuck?), but "doesn't work"? Only makes your eyes water? What fucked up TV do you have?

Not only am I calling bullshit, I'm calling straight up lying to facilitate a point you want to make.

NateDrake

lherre said:
At the moment, I won't say "way more" powerful, simply more powerful in some areas.
So it is more powerful than the PS3 in some regards but not in all areas. Better GPU but weaker processor would be an example of this.

Edit: Based on your banning everything you said was shit.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Vangu Vegro said:
Alright, I'm gonna give you a list of reasons why I am (understatement of the century!) less than pleased with what these rumors are saying.

* One of the biggest problems facing the games industry is the escalation of development costs (and therefore the risks of developing), which has already caused many a developer to go under and make those that survive more risk-averse. Even before the Wii was announced, I've felt that the best solution to this problem was to decrease the gaps in technology between generations while at the same time extending the life of those generations for as long as possible. With the Wii I felt Nintendo understood the problem and was the industry's best hope of getting out of the crisis. If these rumors are true, that was just a fluke and the crisis is only gonna get worse.

* It's just not right that the most successful of the current consoles is not the last one to be replaced.

* I don't like the vast majority of games that the so-called hardcore gamer likes, so if this machine's trying to woo them, chances are slim to none that I'll like it.

* The Wiimote converted me to motion controls and there's no way in hell I'm going back to traditional controllers even if backwards compatibility means I'll still be able to use the Wiimote.

Anyway, that's why I can't see myself buying a Wii2 and will stick with my Wii. Sony and Microsoft have already disqualified themselves for me ages ago, so I guess the future's handheld/PC only. It's been fun but its time to go.

Though, for what it's worth, there's no console I'd rather spend the rest of my (gaming) life with than a Wii.
At first I understood where you were coming from but then I read the bit about HD being a step back and understood that you're trolling, if you're going to troll at least put the joke stuff at the top instead of the bottom.

Edit: Amirox already dealt with the troll.

Zeliard

Vangu Vegro said:

This is honestly one of the strangest things I've ever read.

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
you are literally the first person I've ever heard say the HD "doesn't work." What the hell could make HD "not work"? It's not 3D. It's not causing intense extra added eye strain or some shit. It's enhancing clarity through added resolution. Do you have glaucoma? I can perhaps see you saying you don't see a big DIFFERENCE (even though, again, the fuck?), but "doesn't work"? Only makes your eyes water? What fucked up TV do you have?

Not only am I calling bullshit, I'm calling straight up lying to facilitate a point you want to make.
Dudes obviously nuts.

Vangu Vegro said:
1218xg4.gif

Is this still allowed? I'm not sure? I think it
is the only way to express my sentiment...

Amir0x

Banned
i get it the guy still has one of those ol' 32 inch magnavox door busters from 1994 and his TV isn't HD at all. He just hasn't realized it yet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Branduil said:
If you're going to claim to have seen the specs, then spill it.
Indeed.That wasn't the most sensitive remark without giving more info or a source.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, let me get this straight.

You guys are thinking this might be somewhat legit as Nintendo's fiscal year report to investors is due at the end of the month, and due to lackluster and plummiting hardware sales, along with minimal software output, may wish to announce the Wii HD (or whatever) to ensure stock holders of their future plans and potential success.

Si?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EatChildren said:

You guys are thinking this might be somewhat legit as Nintendo's fiscal year report to investors is due at the end of the month, and due to lackluster and plummiting hardware sales, along with minimal software output, may wish to announce the Wii HD (or whatever) to ensure stock holders of their future plans and potential success.

Si?
Well, that and some of these sites actually have a really solid track record with rumors like Game Informer.

That everyone (notably all big deal sites with pretty big reputations to put on the line) went with this rumor at once with almost no conflicting information is a pretty good sign as well.

Grampasso

Lol what happened in the latest hours? :D
So I suppose Wii successor speculations should be quite spot on now. I remember the rumors about the 3DS before it was even announced, around february-march last year.
History repeating?

antonz

EatChildren said:

Si?
Its been said they will be doing a 3DS like announcement this month hyping the systems debut at E3. The Investor Meeting would be the logical timeframe for that Announcement.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Twii!

Think of the possibilities: Belle & Sebastian + Zelda!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nirolak said:
Well, that and some of these sites actually have a really solid track record with rumors like Game Informer.

That everyone went with this rumor at once also with almost no conflicting information is a pretty good sign also.
antonz said:
Its been said they will be doing a 3DS like announcement this month hyping the systems debut at E3. The Investor Meeting would be the logical timeframe for that Announcement.

Foor for thought. Thanks padres.

[Nintex]

EatChildren said:

Si?
Game Informer was supposed to 'sit on it' but they ran thte story. So they broke some sort of gentlemans agreement and every industry 'insider' ran to their computers to confirm the rumors and give their extra bit of info. Like it has HD screens, does 1080p etc.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:

Si?
I believe is legit because:

- I don't believe that Nintendo planned a long generation for the Wii, so they ought to have something cooking for a long time now. 2011/2012 is just the normal console cycle.

- Wii HD rumors are not new.

- The Wii is clearly on decline, and waiting won't improve their situation or has any significant advantage for the next gen.

For the first reason specifically, many of us believed that the Wii 2 was close, even as close as 2011 holidays, but the 3DS delayed launch might have spoiled that. Plus we had some AMD engenier talking about a new CPU for a new console being unveiled shortly.

EatChildren said:

Si?

Pretty much. It's a coming-together of a number of things, really:
  • Dropping Wii hardware sales, probably leading to missed forecasts, and no prospect of recovery
  • Slower-than-expected 3DS sales (probably for reasonable reasons, but still) and more missed forecasts
  • E3 on the horizon
  • The disappearance of a lot of internal teams
  • Huge R&D spend
  • These latest rumours, all apparently coming as a coordinated leak
  • Investor meeting pretty much bang-on the rumoured date in the leaks
It looks legit.

EatChildren said:

Si?

also instead of coming from just one site, there seems to have been an opening of flood gates of sorts. and from sites/people that some would consider reliable.

wrowa

Amir0x said:

Well, I love HD and its clear picture, but I really have problems reading texts in HD console games. Yeah, the text is sharp - but for someone whose eyes are rather bad, mostly too small. Playing video games while sitting on the couch has become quite uncomfortable at times.

I'm not complaining though. HD ftw. Just give me the option to display the text a tad bigger pls.

Amir0x

Banned
wrowa said:
Well, I love HD and its clear picture, but I really have problems reading texts in HD console games. Yeah, the text is sharp - but for someone whose eyes are rather bad, mostly too small. Playing video games while sitting on the couch has become quite uncomfortable at times.

I'm not complaining though. HD ftw. Just give me the option to display the text a tad bigger pls.

That's just because some of these developers did not properly size or font their text for the higher resolution. It honestly has nothing to do with the HD itself. And you still see HD fine. You're not saying it "doesn't work" or that it makes your eyes water due to trying (and failing) to see HD on your TV. but also magically, he can see HD on his PC? My mind hurts from trying to interpret his clearly bullshit message

I really hope this screen thing is on the remote. I want a remote again. Pointer gaming has so many amazing applications.

And if this thing is shown at E3 complete with the controller, then I might revise my prediction from Winter '12 to Spring '12.

Zeliard

Cosmonaut X said:
Pretty much. It's a coming-together of a number of things, really:
  • Dropping Wii hardware sales, probably leading to missed forecasts, and no prospect of recovery
  • Slower-than-expected 3DS sales (probably for reasonable reasons, but still) and more missed forecasts
  • E3 on the horizon
  • The disappearance of a lot of internal teams
  • Huge R&D spend
  • These latest rumours, all apparently coming as a coordinated leak
  • Investor meeting pretty much bang-on the rumoured date in the leaks
It looks legit.

Though one would assume this thing would have been in development long before Wii/3DS sales started dropping, and of course before the 3DS was even out, if it's expected to come out in 2012.

I think the timeliness of the leaked info coincides much more with E3 than anything else. Even if Wii sales were going steady I think we still would have seen this new system announced at the upcoming E3.

neoanarch

Zeliard said:
Though one would assume this thing would have been in development long before Wii/3DS sales started dropping, and of course before the 3DS was even out, if it's expected to come out in 2012.

I think the timeliness of the leaked info coincides much more with E3 than anything else. Even if Wii sales were going steady I think we still would have seen this new system announced at the upcoming E3.

I had the feeling since we didn't get any post E3 2010 wii games revealed. This was probably the planned schedule all along regardless of Wii or 3DS sales.

EatChildren said:

Si?

I blame the 9.0 earthquake. Or this could be already announced around end of March just like 3DS last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom