• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jocchan said:
I doubt the screen would be really HD, with HD meaning a resolution from 720p up.
Wouldn't make sense, considering the 3DS screens.

Mm. It would seem to make more sense - from a Nintendo, watch-the-pennies position - to incorporate a DS Lite/3DS touchscreen in the controller anyway. The cost to them on the DS Lite screens must be nominal now, and they're a reasonably small size for incorporating into a controller with a more traditional form factor.

NEO0MJ

EDarkness said:
That's plenty of power to do something with for a few years and will run UE3 with no sweat.

What the new console needs to be able to run is UE4. According to Epic it's going to be ready at 2012, just in time for the next gen.

EDarkness said:
If they have a dual core 2GHz something and 1-2GB of RAM, then they're in good shape. That's plenty of power to do something with for a few years and will run UE3 with no sweat.

2GHz dual core means it's substantially less powerful, CPU wise, than either PS3 or 360.

What the new console needs to be able to run is UE4. According to Epic it's going to be ready at 2012, just in time for the next gen.

Supposedly UE4 was being built around the concept of a huge number of very weak cores for processing graphics, which does not match what current GPU manufacturers are putting out at all. If by some miracle Nintendo went with such a wierd, non-standard card that doesn't presently exist, it will get UE4 support (assuming it's ready), but I can't see them doing that.

UE3's fancy new features shown at GDC will be onboard assuming it has a DX11/OpenGL4.1 compliant card and it's sufficiently powerful, although that shit was running on 3x GTX 580's, not even Sony/MS's next gen machines will be able to handle that demo unless they're like 2014-2015 launches. What we'll see is that engine, but less impressive overall since the raw power probably won't be there.

Maxrunner

NEO0MJ said:
And the DS was current gen at the time at it's release, it's just that Sony jumped a gen.

Yep its Sony that jumps generations because that's they're main "innovation" method regarding these things.....

Thinking about this a moment, if they go multi-touch with the HD touch screen controller, and it has enough power, they could eliminate the need for developers to adjust controls to meet controller configuration entirely. Simply instead of having a standard set of buttons like traditional controllers today, they could just have the touch screen display whatever configuration of buttons, control pads, virtual "Circle Pads" (ala the 3DS), or slides, or whatever else might be required by the game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Graphics Horse said:
Looking at Zelda games they've got it into their head that some people need constant reminder of not just which button does what, but even the location of each button on the controller. Shifting that information to the controller makes sense.

That kind of thing can make sense, but certain other HUD elements should probably remain in your peripheral vision on the TV.

I wonder if they're going to start from scratch with the controller, or build on the wiimote. They could ditch the wiimote functionality and start from scratch, offer Wii BC by just letting you plug in a sensor bar and wiimote. If they do try to bring everything together in one controller it could run against their (usual) simplicity goals.

Lonewolf_92 said:
Thinking about this a moment, if they go multi-touch with the HD touch screen controller, and it has enough power, they could eliminate the need for developers to adjust controls to meet controller configuration entirely. Simply instead of having a standard set of buttons like traditional controllers today, they could just have the touch screen display whatever configuration of buttons, control pads, virtual "Circle Pads" (ala the 3DS), or slides, or whatever else might be required by the game.

People like real buttons, and certainly real sticks etc. on their controllers. I wondered about that too but I doubt they'll go that route. It would make for a very simple controller design, but it would pitch the system more as a competitor to tablets that plug into TVs than to 'core' gamers who probably want a traditional-ish controller.

Lonewolf_92 said:

Ugh, no.

I trust Nintendo to know better than to try and replace all physical inputs with a touch interface. I really don't want to be controlling Wii2 with the equivalent of an iPod Touch...

Does anyone else think that it could be called... Nintendo HDS? Because, you know, it seems like they want to stick dual screens into their console too, and it would go with the 3DS.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Risk Breaker said:
Does anyone else think that it could be called... Nintendo HDS? Because, you know, it seems like they want to stick dual screens into their console too, and it would go with the 3DS.

No.

Vagabundo

Lonewolf_92 said:

It straps to your forearm and takes care of the HUD and also has the vitality sensor built-in. There is a lot of possibilities.

But this all sounds very fishy.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Lonewolf_92 said:
It depends on the way the screen is incorporated but, in theory, yeah. The touch screen could provide additional buttons/slide pads in some games. Just to complement physical buttons, though. Or, at least, I hope so.

Cosmonaut X said:
Mm. It would seem to make more sense - from a Nintendo, watch-the-pennies position - to incorporate a DS Lite/3DS touchscreen in the controller anyway. The cost to them on the DS Lite screens must be nominal now, and they're a reasonably small size for incorporating into a controller with a more traditional form factor.
Tbh, on a controller I'd expect them to implement a capacitive touch screen more akin to the iPhone than to the 3DS... but we can't rule out either case entirely.

-KRS-

Hmm this rumor sounds pretty plausible. EXCITE!
Except for the built in HD screens in the controller. WTF? Won't that be crazy expensive?

Weenerz said:
I buy anything Nintendo, so I'm in. Just have a Mario game as a launch title.

I bet it wont happen :(

PatmanBegins

Neo Member
Still trying to wrap my brain around the gameplay potential with these touchscreen rumors. Or more specifically, how it meshes with their philosophy on the Wii. I originally figured that a next-gen Wii could be centered around a compromise between the current Wii and Kinect, kind of like an advanced PS Move (only integrated and marketed 35 times better).

But with this touchscreen controller rumor, how do they integrate motion gaming and interaction with the big screen into this? Do they simply center the main package around the touchscreen controller (which had better also have physical buttons, cause fuck virtual buttons) while still developing games that support Wii Motion Plus? Sell WM+ as an accessory that some Wii HD games may require? Or do they introduce us to some insane Wiimote/iPhone Frankenstein of a controller that we can waggle and point with during one moment and then bring down to swipe or tap away at during another?

I've come to expect nothing but mind-blowing from Nintendo these past few years -- a simple pissing contest with whatever the PS4 or Xbox-whateverthefuck turn out to be would be disappointing to say the least.

Sidenote: drop the damn friend codes already. Xbox and Playstation rape was not some epidemic last gen, and it needn't be feared now. Put the onus on parents, give them tools to keep their kids safe, but don't neuter your system for the entire userbase out of fear over some fabricated issue. Please?

Cosmonaut X said:
What did he say?

New Wii in 2011, and cited different developers who had seen the machine, and was talking about it being a significant step up in terms of power. He wrote this story in 2008.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Medalion said:
The 360 and PS3 processors are 3.2GHz and 3-cores are they not?

In comparing to whatever Nintendo is cooking, simply counting cores and clockspeed won't let you compare. A core is not a core is not a core. We'll be able to compare them though, and to whatever is in Sony/MS's next boxes, assuming we get enough info on all of them.

[Nintex]

Cosmonaut X said:
What did he say?
The same as these people back in 2008. He said Nintendo held some talks and meetings with pulibhers for the direction of their new system. I also think the Q1 2012 date thrown around at the moment is more likely than late 2012. Unless the 3DS continues to tank but that's unlikely.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mailenstein said:
lol @ people seriously discussing the controller screen in this thread. iPod nano size at best if any at all.
A3vNi.jpg

Maxrunner

ThoseDeafMutes said:
2GHz dual core means it's substantially less powerful, CPU wise, than either PS3 or 360.

That's not really true....cpu performance is not only measured by its frequency or number of cores...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
artwalknoon said:
I missed that, what was their original story?
NGamer's story wasn't a story, but a joke page about silly rumours from GDC. Other sites reported it as a proper rumour.

NGamer probably just sat in their office and laughed when they saw the reports.

JonCha

Skyward Sword delayed for this?
Yeah right.

Honestly, it's taken Nintendo this long to realise that they rely on their core franchises too much.

Vagabundo

BGBW said:
NGamer's story wasn't a story, but a joke page about silly rumours from GDC. Other sites reported it as a proper rumour.

NGamer probably just sat in their office and laughed when they saw the reports.

Nintendo had a huge R&D budget this time around. You can bet their were some far out prototypes.

Details of one of them could have leaked.

thuway

The podcast made it sound equivalent or slightly more powerful than the 360 and PS3. Where is this information coming that it will be "WAY MORE powerful" than PS3.

In any case, if the Wii 2 is using cutting edge hardware, for 2012, than count me in. The PS4 and 720 will be dead in the Water if Ninty manages to get online and the tech right.

Log4Girlz

ThoseDeafMutes said:

Depends on architecture and transistor count. Though naturally if Nintendo announced something like that I would assume it was just less powerful.

antonz

If Nintendo stuck with IBM its up in the air to what the CPU will be like. Cell on its own was terminated by IBM last year. Elements of Cell technology will live on in designs but there will never be another true cell chip

Medalion

Banned
It is true, simply saying 2GHz dual-core doesn't mean shit these days. There is more to figuring out a system's overall potential than those buzz words.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Vagabundo said:
Nintendo had a huge R&D budget this time around. You can bet their were some far out prototypes.

Details of one of them could have leaked.
Maybe, but the original magazine article was presented as a joke. Ngamer is basically the joker of the Nintendo magazines pack. I'd scan the page to prove it, but that could lead to be being banned. Also I'm at work.

Maxrunner said:
That's not really true....cpu performance is not only measured by its frequency or number of cores...

What's the point in saying it's going to be 2GHz with 2 cores if everything else about the CPU is a complete unknown? Why even mention the number if you're not going to be providing a rough estimate of how powerful it is relative to other systems? If you're imagining CPUs that are as capable or more than the competition despite the simple numbers, people should state as such to avoid confusion.

[Nintex] said:
The same as these people back in 2008. He said Nintendo held some talks and meetings with pulibhers for the direction of their new system. I also think the Q1 2012 date thrown around at the moment is more likely than late 2012. Unless the 3DS continues to tank but that's unlikely.

Thanks (and thanks Vinterbird and Celine).

It certainly looks like he was correct, or at least that his info then meshes with what's coming out now (BC, controller innovation etc.)

If Nintendo have really been shopping this thing around since 2008, even if only in prototype or drawing-board form, that's a hell of a long time to have had outside parties involved...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
antonz said:
If Nintendo stuck with IBM its up in the air to what the CPU will be like. Cell on its own was terminated by IBM last year. Elements of Cell technology will live on in designs but there will never be another true cell chip

I recall that AMD guy and his chatter about a console client. They may have gone AMD for both CPU/GPU. People seemed to think that Microsoft might have been the client, but Nintendo would fit too.

I expect nothing less than better graphics than the PS3 and motion controls that actually benefit a game instead of being a (worse) alternative. I don't want anymore gimmicky nonsense.

Don’t give me those and it’s sadly a no buy. Also improved third party support is another must...man, I used to be like the biggest Nintendo lover, but the Wii really burnt me big time! : (

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Cosmonaut X said:
If Nintendo have really been shopping this thing around since 2008, even if only in prototype or drawing-board form, that's a hell of a long time to have had outside parties involved...
Well their R&D expenditures were increasing rapidly year on year after the 2008 fiscal report...

It wasn't hard to see a new Nintendo console being unveiled within the near future because no handheld would ever need that amount of funding.

sublimit

Banned
So if the Wii 2 will be as powerful or a bit more powerful than PS360 by the end of 2012,then when the next gen consoles of Sony and MS come out it will still be a generation behind them.
Can't say i'm impressed really.

sublimit said:
So if the Wii 2 will be as powerful or a bit more powerful than PS360 by the end of 2012,then when the next gen consoles of Sony and MS come out it will still be a generation behind them.
Can't say i'm impressed really.

It won't be end of 2012. It will be this year (what I'm believing) or early 2012 (Q1).

Plus, if the next generation from MS and Sony won't lanuch until 2014/2015, it still gives Nintendo plenty of time to be in the market, and get consumer attention.

herod

Why has the 'significantly' more powerful from the OP become 'barely or not at all' in the thread? Something I've missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom