• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No way Nintendo releases a controller with no buttons. That's ludicrous.

Also, LOL at the graphics discussion. An HD console is 'enough' right now. Nintendo has always done 'just enough' with their graphics. There's no way this thing is superpowered graphically.

That said, we're at a point now in the industry where it doesn't really matter to the vast majority of consumers (i.e., everyone outside of GAF). Make this as powerful or slightly more powerful than the PS3 and that's plenty for the market.

Vagabundo

On either set of controllers - classic or remote/chuck - I cannot see where you could put a big ass HD touch screen.

I'm thinking it is an extra strap on and doubles as a Vit sensor.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I loved the VMU on the Dreamcast. Seeing that little electrocardiography as I played Code Veronic was great.

I can imagine a screen, touch or otherwise, working quite well on this and I'm sure Nintendo would have some neat little tricks on it. Wii never got much farther then a few uses (listen to it like a phone in that one better then Alan Wake Wiiware title with light harming demons), so I don't expect much.

Headhunter

Neo Member
Vinterbird said:
It won't be end of 2012. It will be this year (what I'm believing) or early 2012 (Q1).

Plus, if the next generation from MS and Sony won't lanuch until 2014/2015, it still gives Nintendo plenty of time to be in the market, and get consumer attention.

+1

end 2012 would be the best release date, hopefully worldwide.

Oemenia said:
I just hope this doesnt force MS and Sony to move their consoles out more quickly. Both the 360 and PS3 are bringing in healthy money as well as selling well.

More importantly, current-gen development costs have stabilised, so its the best time for creativity, especially since Japanese developers are making more HD titles.

I guess Nintendo new console will enable the 3rd parties to keep using their current HD development assets. There is no way that publishers will choose to miss the boat again and say "we are putting our focus on the ps4/xbox720"

jax (old)

Banned
If it's even slightly more robust than the current gen hd consoles, I won't be surprised, I mean, this is... 5 years(?) down the line. Both consoles, x360/ps3 are old... Go play crysis 2 on a home Pc.... Generationally ahead now...

And of course, we expect that both the ps4/x3 console to well, be much more robust as well. Thats a given.

Plus

Wanted to add a question:

You guys think the casual market that bought into wii is going to upgrade to a wiihd well, because it's a wii hd? I mean, that market meant tha a lot of "core" games didn't make a dent- see metroid...etc. I just dont see it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Vagabundo said:
On either set of controllers - classic or remote/chuck - I cannot see where you could put a big ass HD touch screen.

I'm thinking it is an extra strap on and doubles as a Vit sensor.

0_o

goomba said:
The screen is the vitality sensor's display on a new wiimote.
This would actually work. They could put a sensor on the trigger buttons that could measure you pulse. Would make great horror games. Think Fatal Frame 5 with ghosts popping out when you aren't afraid.

KenOD said:
(listen to it like a phone in that one better then Alan Wake Wiiware title with light harming demons),
Wasn't No More Heroes the same...a bit annoying if you set your remote speakers to mute...

All this talk of rumours reminds of a really good Wii one (I think ONM were the source of this like...5 years ago?). The Stand is actually a battery...

justchris

This is an unexpected announcement. I look forward to the next console cycle, maybe we'll actually get some decent AI going finally. HD graphics are nice I guess, but I can't imagine any kind of graphics leap they could make that would actually be impressive at this point.

With the Wii they focused on input. I wonder if they might focus on output with this new system. Complete haptic feedback, improved vibration, better speakers in the controller, and just other ways to create ultimate immersion. I expect they'll build the controller so that the entire thing is a vitality sensor, that way it can pick up pulse, body heat and other biosigns and integrate them into games.

Anyway, the only things that are really important to me are improved motion and pointer controls, wireless nunchuks (I love the separated controller, but loathe the cord that binds them), and improved online infrastructure. Everything else I'll deal with.

Mafro

From Edge online:
Sources have this morning confirmed reports that Nintendo has a successor to the Wii in the works, telling us that thirdparty studios including those of Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have had development units of the new hardware for months.

They have also claimed that the system retains motion control, with capabilities that are “better than Move”, meaning that they boast higher fidelity. We do not yet have word on whether or not its motion-controlled solution introduces a camera.
http://www.next-gen.biz/news/sources-confirm-more-details-on-wii-successor

Starwolf_UK said:
Wasn't No More Heroes the same...a bit annoying if you set your remote speakers to mute...

All this talk of rumours reminds of a really good Wii one (I think ONM were the source of this like...5 years ago?). The Stand is actually a battery...
It was NGamer, and they said the power supply was within the stand.

Jax said:
If it's even slightly more robust than the current gen hd consoles, I won't be surprised, I mean, this is... 5 years(?) down the line. Both consoles, x360/ps3 are old... Go play crysis 2 on a home Pc.... Generationally ahead now....

Yeah, but still, this is Nintendo. And I say that as a Nintendo fan. The idea of Nintendo releasing anything that's even marginally more powerful than anything of Sony's or Microsoft's is shocking to me.

Vinterbird said:
November 2011.

Assuming they got Devkits in January, a 14 month dev cycle is about standard for shovelware launch titles as far as I know. If they launch November this year we'll probably end up with a worse launch lineup than the 3DS.

herod

Everyone is talking about PS4 and 720 following up fairly quickly and trumping this, but can Sony afford to do that? What's their net profit/loss from the PS3? I saw they started picking up a few hundred million recently, but isn't that set against billions of losses? Will a new console from Sony make any kind of financial sense for them?

...and with Edge weighing in, I think we can call this a lot more than just a single-source rumour that got out of hand.

As for dev units having been in the hands of third parties for months - if they're targetting a late 2012 release date, they are definitely looking to bring third parties on board in force. No other reason for the typically-secretive Nintendo to be showing off hardware so early.

The "better-than-Move" motion controls were to be expected, but I'm not sure how a motion controller could mesh with a touchscreen on the controller. Will be interesting to see exactly what they've got there.

EDIT:

...and November 2011 is really out of the question unless all Nintendo want are quickie ports and messy launch titles from third parties. A sub-12-month dev period for a modern console game isn't going to give you anything more than that.

sajj316

justchris said:
This is an unexpected announcement. I look forward to the next console cycle, maybe we'll actually get some decent AI going finally. HD graphics are nice I guess, but I can't imagine any kind of graphics leap they could make that would actually be impressive at this point.

With the Wii they focused on input. I wonder if they might focus on output with this new system. Complete haptic feedback, improved vibration, better speakers in the controller, and just other ways to create ultimate immersion. I expect they'll build the controller so that the entire thing is a vitality sensor, that way it can pick up pulse, body heat and other biosigns and integrate them into games.

Anyway, the only things that are really important to me are improved motion and pointer controls, wireless nunchuks (I love the separated controller, but loathe the cord that binds them), and improved online infrastructure. Everything else I'll deal with.
Regarding the controller and vital sensor, that could be possible.

Why can't it be better than Move?

Eteric Rice

No way Nintendo releases a controller with no buttons. That's ludicrous.

The scary thing is that the more I think about it, the more sense it makes in a completely Nintendo kind of way.

And it scares me. Do not want. :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Jaded Alyx said:
It was NGamer, and they said the power supply was within the stand.
I'm pretty sure the power supply within the stand was the Official Magazine. Mostly because it lead to the magazine being the laughing stock on this board.

NegativeZero said:
Two new Nintendo systems in the same year? Keep dreamin'.

We'll see come E3.

Nintendo planned the 3DS launch for 2010, so it would make sense in terms of road maps.

Freezie KO said:
So the good news from Edge is that it retains motion control (presumably the pointer). The bad news is that Ubisoft has dev kits.

Good thing for Red Steel 3 is that Ubisoft and every other third party will jump in with both feet this time, since it will be the successor to the Wii, which will garner a ton of support this time.

antonz

Caramello said:
This makes EA's comment on Wii being a legacy console make sense.
And THQ strongly hinted recently about a new Nintendo console saying roughly that there is nothing new from Sony or microsoft coming but Nintendo is hard to say about and they will let Nintendo announce their new hardware.

mysteriousmage09 said:
Well that confirms some of these statements are bs. No way the controller is going to be another motion controller that is better then Move and has an HD touchscreen.

All it needs to equal Move control is a little LED on the top of the controller, with two IR cameras on the sensor bar ends to judge position and parallax distance triangulation. There could be any number of other ways of doing it, but they don't have to be expensive or anything.
Worth taking all these rumours with a pinch of salt, of course.

Cosmonaut X said:
The "better-than-Move" motion controls were to be expected, but I'm not sure how a motion controller could mesh with a touchscreen on the controller. Will be interesting to see exactly what they've got there.
I can see something like "draw a symbol with your thumb, index finger" (if they go for a back trackpad)

NegativeZeroYeah, but still, this is Nintendo. And I say that as a Nintendo fan. The idea of Nintendo releasing anything that's even marginally more powerful than anything of Sony's or Microsoft's is shocking to me.

Considering Nintendo only released one underpowered console in their life time, I still don't see how it's hard to believe

Jarmel

Banned
I'm calling bullshit on this. A HD screen on a bloody controller? Each controller would cost around $100.

All of this is starting to sound too fantastical.

antonz said:
And THQ strongly hinted recently about a new Nintendo console saying roughly that there is nothing new from Sony or microsoft coming but Nintendo is hard to say about and they will let Nintendo announce their new hardware.

I don't doubt that there is nothing new on the horizon from Sony or Microsoft. Neither has any incentive right now to release a new console in the near future.

BGBW said:
I'm pretty sure the power supply within the stand was the Official Magazine. Mostly because it lead to the magazine being the laughing stock on this board.
I'm sure it wasn't, although I could be wrong.

ONM have said and done plenty of silly things though, such as posting that silhouette of Leon as a hint for the next issue and having nothing about RE at all in it.

From The Dust said:
Considering Nintendo only released one underpowered console in their life time, I still don't see how it's hard to believe.

Nintendo abandoned graphics and hardware power as a selling point after the N64.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cosmonaut X said:
...and with Edge weighing in, I think we can call this a lot more than just a single-source rumour that got out of hand.

As for dev units having been in the hands of third parties for months - if they're targetting a late 2012 release date, they are definitely looking to bring third parties on board in force. No other reason for the typically-secretive Nintendo to be showing off hardware so early.

The controller may be multi-modal. In one mode of use the touchscreen is used, in another it's more motion orientated...or whatever.

Although the design will be interesting to see if all these parts are true. It's hard to imagine a touchscreen being a significant feature on a wiimote-esque controller, but maybe I'm thinking of it wrong. Maybe it's just a tiny little screen that offers a limited form of visual feedback to accompany the audio feedback of the speaker in the first.

edit - or maybe the whole face is a touchscreen, with the occasional button punctuating it. So that you can change the whole look and some apsects of the function of the wiimote to a certain degree.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I sure hope Nintendo will give us some more details before June 7th...Videos & screenshots of games would be very surprising though.

Come on Nintendo, we need something for the Hype Train!

Edeuinu said:
NO FRIEND CODES NINTENDO!

There is Friend Codes with the 3DS, so...

dealwithit.gif

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
NegativeZero said:
Nintendo abandoned graphics and hardware power as a selling point after the N64.

i don't know that it was ever explicitly their focus, at least to my recollection. that whole horsepower thing has always been more an angle taken by their competitors. sega did it, sony do it.

Luigiv

Cosmonaut X said:
It does, doesn't it? I remember people here poo-pooing Nintendo's comments on 3D being largely incompatible with touch, but having had chance to test it with my 3DS it certainly seems to be.

There's just this awkwardness and a sense of something not-quite-right when you try and touch the 3D screen, particularly when something is meant to be in front of the display (the spinning pencils on the Activity Log, for example). You go from what is a bloody effective illusion of having something solid in front of you to cross-eyed and confused when your brain twigs that touching this apparently-solid object doesn't work.
Also Nintendo was completely right about finger print grease messing up the workings of the Parallax barrier. Had some grease smeared across the top screen after an ineffective wiping and it completely countered the barriers ability to divide light under when a little sunlight came into the mix.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Edeuinu said:
NO FRIEND CODES NINTENDO!

Not a chance in hell of this happening, and people better get used to it if they're not already.

You could integrate motion and touchscreen on a Wii Remote-type device, provided you were looking for more of a touchpad:

-- Camera/sensors/etc. for pointer functionality/position detection on the controller tip
-- Trigger under the tip of the controller where your index finger rests
-- Cluster of standard buttons on the face of the controller where your thumb rests
-- Mini-touchpad on the reverse of the controller where your other fingers grip
-- Gyro etc. built in to the body of the controller

The touchpad would also give you the equivalent of an analogue stick on the reverse of the controller for camera control, or at least as another button of sorts.

Couple that with an upgraded Nunchuk (gyros?) and you could easily have quite a sophisticated split-controller in the classic Remote form...

Kosma

Banned
Plinko said:
Also, LOL at the graphics discussion. An HD console is 'enough' right now. Nintendo has always done 'just enough' with their graphics. There's no way this thing is superpowered graphically.

This revisionist history is of Nintendo doing just enough is as annoying and irritating as all the other exaggerations. With the last 3 releases Nintendo has done this yes, gpu wise, there is a trend. But before this Nintendo consoles where always competitive.

There is no need to exaggerate to make a compelling argument.

Ryuuga

Banned
The controller will be their attempt at bringing back the power glove.

-Glove on each hand this time
-Buttons on middle/ring fingertips
-Left/Right Pinky fingers act as microphones
-Left/Right Index fingers have coated fingertips for fluid movement on the touchscreen.
-Retina display touchscreen mounted on each face
-Speakers on the palm
-Start/Home button located on the left wrist while Select is on the right
-Clasping fingers together puts system in standby
-Waving either hand turns system on

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here.

JackEtc

This system sounds like a giant clusterfuck of features to be honest.

The only thing that this system will be doing is forcing a new console cycle, which doesn't need to happen yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom