• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish
Pseudo_Sam said:
Best overworld, best music, best swordplay, best Zelda. Don't wanna veer us off-track any further, so I'll refrain from further elaboration.

I far prefer the classic Zelda titles. OoT hit and they just became dull to me after that, though I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion.

Also, I am eating a danish right this very moment. Thought you should know.

Good man.

Kaizer

Banned
perfectnight said:
This thread is gettin' CRAZY
zGJbs.jpg

Orayn said:
That's exactly how the Wii's pointer functionality works, silly. The IR sensor bar is just a couple of infared LEDs, and the system moves your onscreen pointer based on how the Wii remote's IR camera is seeing those lights. It's much, much better than an accelerometer or gyro controlled pointer because it has concrete points of reference.

Yes, but he's talking about the controller seeing different colors and shit, not tracking movement/pointing.

WillyFive

Vinci said:
I far prefer the classic Zelda titles. OoT hit and they just became dull to me after that, though I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion.

That's just preference of 2D Zelda over 3D Zelda. Same thing happens with Mario on some people.

Orayn

J-Rock said:
Yup. That is one thing I want to keep. The IR pointer still has a lot of potential(more than motion imo). Plus I want to play Pikmin HD with it.
Indeed. Motion can stick around as long as it doesn't try to steal the show, but hot damn give us the pointer. I'm seriously starting to consider whether or not it's better than a mouse, as I can play Metroid Prime Trilogy better than almost any PC or dual analog shooter.

Vinci said:
Wind Waker was magic visually. Otherwise? Not so much.

Is this R700 rumored to be in the Wii 2? Or is this just ... I don't know ... random discussion?
The French site said it used an R700 GPU, I don't really believe the rumour but for that rumour to be completely accurate then that's what must currently be in the dev kits. If they're using anything else then the whole validity of that rumour is in question.

apana

Pappasman said:
i'd like to see a progression of the OoT-MM art style.

Well Twilight Princess was a progression of that. So basically think of Twilight Princess except a lot smoother and shinier. Think God of War 2----->God of War 3.

Pappasman

Orayn said:
Indeed. Motion can stick around as long as it doesn't try to steal the show, but hot damn give us the pointer. I'm seriously starting to consider whether or not it's better than a mouse, as I can play Metroid Prime Trilogy better than almost any PC or dual analog shooter.

If it is indeed BC with Wii games, it would have to keep IR pointer functionality.

apana said:
Well Twilight Princess was a progression of that. So basically think of Twilight Princess except a lot smoother and shinier. Think God of War 2----->God of War 3.

I was thinking more OoT3DS than TP.

Orayn

FoxHimself said:
Yes, but he's talking about the controller seeing different colors and shit, not tracking movement/pointing.
The Wii remote's ability to see specific "colors" is what makes the pointer work. (Infrared is a color, you know.) That patent could relate to a new sensor bar that would improve precision by using different frequencies of infrared lights, perhaps assisted by a few dim ones in visible spectrum.
Pappasman said:
If it is indeed BC with Wii games, it would have to keep IR pointer functionality.
This is exactly what excites me. The pointer is a technology whose time has come. It would be amazing to play next-gen games with an improved version of it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
J-Rock said:
Yup. That is one thing I want to keep. The IR pointer still has a lot of potential(more than motion imo). Plus I want to play Pikmin HD with it.
Hopefully they improve upon it though, provide more accurate 1:1 ala the guncon corner detection, along with the ability to not get confused by stray IR light that looks nothing like the signal it is supposed to be getting - ie my Christmas tree lights.

Orayn

poppabk said:
Hopefully they improve upon it though, provide more accurate 1:1 ala the guncon corner detection, along with the ability to not get confused by stray IR light that looks nothing like the signal it is supposed to be getting - ie my Christmas tree lights.
See, THIS is what the weird "colors of light" patent probably relates to.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Orayn said:
I can't, I'm left handed ;_;

HYDE

Banned
Anyone else betting on a break away controller, some sort of two piece (nunchuk-like) controller that when pulled apart allows for motion controls, and then when snapped together allows for classic controls.

I am just excited to imagine a wireless wiimote and nunchuk or a wireless classic controller.
I hope they go Sony's route with the built in battery chargeable by usb.

bidaum

I never bought a Wii, mostly cause I was holding out for something HD, so I don't have much experience with the pointer. I've played Resident Evil, Kirby's Epic Yarn, some Mario Galaxy, some Zelda, and the New Super Mario Bros. and i haven't liked the pointer thus far personally. Everyone seems to like it, can someone educate me or give me some examples of where it shines?

I would think in an actual shooter it would get somewhat exhausting...

Mithos

Vinci said:
Wind Waker was magic visually. Otherwise? Not so much.

I have to agree, it was nice to look at, but the most boring Zelda to date, and the ONLY Zelda I only played through ONCE, and had to force me to do so.

Twilight Princess >> Wind Waker for me.

McHuj

The R700 label seems to have been used to mean both the specific 4870x2 GPU as well as the whole family of GPUs.

If you search the web, for AMD r700, you'll get articles referencing the dual gpu card as well as the family of r700 products.

Also, AMD's ISA for the R700 family of products seems to apply to all those card.

R700 Instruction Set Spec from AMD

bidaum said:
I never bought a Wii, mostly cause I was holding out for something HD, so I don't have much experience with the pointer. I've played Resident Evil, Kirby's Epic Yarn, some Mario Galaxy, some Zelda, and the New Super Mario Bros. and i haven't liked the pointer thus far personally. Everyone seems to like it, can someone educate me or give me some examples of where it shines?

they use it to point at things RTS games i hate football but the one you move player to where they want them look like good use and other things

ryan-ts

Vinci said:
Actually, SS is the last hope for the Zelda series as far as I'm concerned. Their comments about the philosophies behind its design give me hope. If they screw it up, I'm done with Zelda.
No...please no. Give them a chance, they need you to succeed. I bag of you sir, please never give up on Zelda...

watershed

Banned
M74 said:
Anyone else think this "Project CAFE" moniker hints at some sort of social environment for the console?

This codename seems strange to me. But you're right it does suggest something very casual and inviting and open. Don't know how that translates into videogame hardware though.

jett

D-Member
The "Wii2" is sounding pretty ridiculous. I wonder how many of these rumors will actually be true when it's revealed.

Orayn said:
The Wii remote's ability to see specific "colors" is what makes the pointer work. (Infrared is a color, you know.) That patent could relate to a new sensor bar that would improve precision by using different frequencies of infrared lights, perhaps assisted by a few dim ones in visible spectrum.

The patent is for a light emitting gizmo you put on your tv to create ambient lighting (like some tvs already do). I just don't see the point of the controller, which is tied to the same console who is outputting the colors, would need a camera to see them.

I completely agree on the awesomeness of the pointer, though.

NEO0MJ

artwalknoon said:
This codename seems strange to me. But you're right it does suggest something very casual and inviting and open. Don't know how that translates into videogame hardware though.

How did dolphin translate to hardware?

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Wind Waker was magic in every way imaginable. We need more Zelda games like it, with that amazing sense of wonder and exploration.

Not enough dungeons.

TP is my favorite simply because of the massive quantity of content. It had its ugly moments and was too easy but I still loved it.

linkboy

bidaum said:

Games like Metroid Prime Trilogy or Goldeneye are great examples of the pointer. RE4 is good as well.

birdchili

bidaum said:

for games, the best stuff was rail shooters and other aiming games, probably. it's not exhausting at all: wrist on your leg and very minor movements to aim.

it's *so* flexible for interface though... menu-selections and so forth are extremely fast and intuitive.

PKrockin

NEO0MJ said:
It feels so strange using the analog in the right hand after all these years, plus the location of the weapon is always confusing.

Haven't you been holding the remote in your left hand since you bought it? They purposely designed it to be lefty friendly.

watershed

Banned
NEO0MJ said:
How did dolphin translate to hardware?

Well to me dolphin sounded fun, whimsical, and kid-like, and we got a system called the Gamecube! And the revolution obviously referred to the motion controls. I think if cafe is the codename it probably hints at something...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
J-Rock said:
I'm left handed too. No problems here.

PKrockin said:
Hold the Wii remote in your left hand?
When I hold the wiimote in my left hand for a game like Twilight Princess, the sword swinging I could get used to but the bow aiming was completely messed up using my left hand.

Alien Coded DNA said:
Could they just have to different packages? One with Wii Remote out of the the box the other with the classic style. I just don't see them putting both in the same package.
That seems the worst possible solution: having NO controller type you can be absolutely sure a system owner will have.
IGN said:
According to our sources, the new Nintendo controller will feature dual analog sticks in addition to standard d-pad and trigger buttons. It'll mirror a Gamecube controller in general function but not in specific form.
Skiesofwonder said:
Um..... that sounds nothing like the Wiimote.
Wiimote+nunchuk already has an analog stick, a d-pad, and triggers. Add a little to each side and you're not far from having almost all the possibilities of GCN in addition to pointer/waggle/tilt.

jett said:
The "Wii2" is sounding pretty ridiculous. I wonder how many of these rumors will actually be true when it's revealed.

The only one so far that sounds too good to be true to me is IGN's reports regarding graphics. They completely fucked up on the early 3DS graphical horsepower predictions (360/PS3 quality my ass) so I don't trust them, I'd place my bets on an insignificant upgrade from the PS3. Everything else? Man, this is Nintendo. ANYTHING GOES.

Vanille

M74 said:
Anyone else think this "Project CAFE" moniker hints at some sort of social environment for the console?

As previously mentioned, Nintendo's codenames are almost always nonsensical and tell us nothing about the console.

brain_stew said:
That's revisionist history. AMD/ATI, never referred to anything other than a 4870x2 when referencing the R700 codename, go look at the articles of the day yourself. R700 was an internal codename for the 4870x2 , it was never anything more than that. Every chip in that family had a different codename.

Don't know what they said back then, but today I can find AMD documentation about R-700 family of products with a simple googling.

artwalknoon said:
Well to me dolphin sounded fun, whimsical, and kid-like, and we got a system called the Gamecube! And the revolution obviously referred to the motion controls. I think if cafe is the codename it probably hints at something...
To go from "dolphin" to "kid like" to "purple box called gamecube" is quite a leap. By that standard "cafe" could mean just about everything. I doubt we can deduct anything from it.

J-Rock

Banned
Trojita said:
When I hold the wiimote in my left hand for a game like Twilight Princess, the sword swinging I could get used to but the bow aiming was completely messed up using my left hand.

I'm a lefty and hold it in my right hand. I'm use to controlling an analog stick and multi-button combos with my right hand. Moving my right hand wrist to aim at something was actually easier to learn.

Zelda NEEDS more side quests and items to find from exploring. One reason it's getting bland is because of how linear it feels. Hell, make some secret dungeons/bosses that you can go fight after you get all the items. TP had that one dungeon after the end, but it was pretty boring. I've always wanted more exploring from Zelda games, with all the cool gadgets you get, they should have more places that you can reach after a certain item is obtained. I know they also did this to an extent in TP, but why not build on it? I'll probably get bashed for this, but I wish they'd add some more RPG elements to it, doubt that'd ever happen though.

As for graphics, I'm not really sure what would be the best way to go. I really like the style of OOT:3D, which makes it more like the promotional art, I just wish it was built from the ground up. SS looks pretty good I think, but I haven't really looked too much at it.

As much as I love Zelda, it really is getting sort of bland. It's a game that should be epic, so they need to figure out how to create that feeling again, whether it be a bigger Zelda game with more exploring elements, or a fuckin' completely different style of game.

bidaum said:

Is this 2006 or something? People still thinks playing the Wii is exhausting? If you get fatigued in your arms playing a Wii shooter you're either doing it wrong or have some sort of muscle illness. (hint: you're only going to need to move the Wiimote about the same amount as you move a mouse when you play an FPS on a computer - and don't play with your arm stretched out)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom