• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdchili

Jocchan said:
Don't tell me, I'd drink espresso any day of the week.
you filterheads and spressobots are deluded corporate shills! it's completely plain to taste that black, press coffee is by-far superior.

also: so the new theory is that this isn't so much for coffee fans as it is for political junkies? hrm...

watershed

Banned
Deku said:
In the French context a Cafe is a gathering place for political discourse, that coffee was served was less important. It is where the intelligentsia gathered and where the French revolution had its intellectual birthing.

It's a clever play on the revolution idea.

Woah, that's deep! I can't believe I didn't see the (non-existent) connection! So how does this relate to the hardware or philosophy of the system if at all?

onQ123

Willy105 said:
This is what I had in mind, excuse the terrible graphics:

1759725-wall.png

1759726-wall2.png

1759727-wall3.png

Something like this would add a lot of functionality above just pressing it like a button, like being able to have a sliding interface. And of course, being a screen, the buttons could be mapped in anyway they want to, and even label them conveniently.

winning!

Deku

Banned
birdchili said:
you filterheads and spressobots are deluded corporate shills! it's completely plain to taste that black, press coffee is by-far superior.

also: so the new theory is that this isn't so much for coffee fans as it is for political junkies? hrm...

Referring to my post?

I'm only making the connection between the role the Cafe in France played in the French revolution.

So there's a connection there. But as someone has mentioned, codenames oftentimes do not translate to the final product, though a few alluded to the goals of the platform

-Revolution; Project Reality; Nitro

artwalknoon said:
Woah, that's deep! I can't believe I didn't see the (non-existent) connection! So how does this relate to the hardware or philosophy of the system if at all?

No idea.

Vagabundo

Amir0x said:
No motion controllers let down developers. Hell that's practically the reason Nintendo was forced to amend the outlandish limitations of the "motion control" with the Motion+. The sooner you learn this, the earlier you can move on to a life of superior control functionality.

Gameplay/Control Refinement over Inferior controls for IMMERZION ftw

Just because you've managed to flagellate yourself with dual analogue doesn't mean the rest of us have to suffer before the abomination.

We can hope for a refinement of the current scheme that will consign the DS to gaming history.

54-46!

Goddamn.. touch screen controller seems f-in horrible - but I'm guessing it's not a touch pad with analog sticks like it sounds.

Amir0x

Banned
Vagabundo said:
Just because you've managed to flagellate yourself with dual analogue doesn't mean the rest of us have to suffer before the abomination.

We can hope for a refinement of the current scheme that will consign the DS to gaming history.

Dual analog is superior in so many ways for so many genres that all this tells people is that you will never be hired as a game designer and if you were ever in the field the employee in question would be forced to burn your resume to cleanse the office of the curse you wrought from being so infinitely wrong

There is a few things POINTING is better at, chiefly, in games you must aim a lot, where that is the primary function. Also RTS. And there are a lot of games like that. Unfortunately for you, dual analog is such a absolute necessity than even in these pointing games a analog stick is a requisite for movement. And of course, the master use: camera control with movement.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Gotta save that for the fourth Wii iteration! lol

Super Wii would be a nice name with a bit of heritage behind it.

Oh yeah, and everything has got to be truly wireless this time. I want to be able to use the pointer to select things on the menu, and then put it down for a dual analog controller when i'm playing a game.

Wow @ dual analog sticks. Nintendo is doing everything right with this thing.

."significantly" more powerful than the 360 and PS3 (I'm still concerned about this being bogus and it only being slightly more powerful, which would suck balls)
. touch screen on the controller
. dual analog sticks
. 1080p
. 1st and 3rd party games to be shown at E3
. perfect time to launch (Fall 2012)

All that's left is confirmation of a much-improved online service as that's key to grab this demographic.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Amir0x said:
And of course, the master use: camera control with movement.
Agree with this... All classic style Wii games on the Wiimote have failure camera controls (D-pad camera control in Okami...... No camera control in TP..... ugh)

Artadius

Amir0x said:
Yeah Wii Shop purchase BC is a biiiiig point for me. I really want to hear about that. It will literally determine whether I spend a dime on Wii HD's shop or not. There is no way all the money I spent on downladable games should be eliminated in the move to Wii HD, considering how simple it would be to retain licenses for the software you downloaded.

If Nintendo could not do that, then I would not trust them enough to do it for Wii HD's successor, and that'd make me turn to other downloadable services.

Wait, what other console downloadable services allow you to retain licenses to their successor?

Heavy said:

."significantly" more powerful than the 360 and PS3 (I'm still concerned about this being bogus and it only being slightly more powerful, which would suck balls)

. It's been FIVE YEARS, it better be way better.
. I don't want a fucking touch screen on my controller, having to look at a controller while playing a game is never a good thing.

Amir0x said:
No motion controllers let down developers. Hell that's practically the reason Nintendo was forced to amend the outlandish limitations of the "motion control" with the Motion+. The sooner you learn this, the earlier you can move on to a life of superior control functionality.

Gameplay/Control Refinement over Inferior controls for IMMERZION ftw

No it was the developers.

Games like the ones I listed above practically revolutionized the genres and never wanted me to play the games with the ye olde dual analog stick again. Unfortunately developers didn't give motion controllers the attention they needed.

These games were improved much by gameplay as well. SSX Blur for example offered far precise movement due to motion controls. A game like Red Steel could allow players to carve and cut in many more directions than a dual analog. And looking at some of the move games, there are some good ideas but none seems all that well executed. This isn't about "IMMERZIONZ" but about gameplay.

Motion controls via pointer has as much potential to join the ranks of game pads and mouse and keyboards in terms of controlling greatness, but unfortunately developers hardly pushed it.

EDIT - I'm referring to motion controls in general, not just the Wii's original motion controller.

birdchili

Deku said:
Referring to my post?
yeah. the revolution parallel is actually nifty (if it's intentional anyway). of course... i'm mostly just being goofy in a thread that's of epic proportions with so little to actually chew on.

i'm good with either a political-discourse-based or coffee-centric console, really.

Heavy said:

. dual analog sticks
. 1080p
. 1st and 3rd party games to be shown at E3
. perfect time to launch (Fall 2012)

All that's left is confirmation of a much-improved online service as that's key to grab this demographic.

Best system ever confirmed, if that shit turns out to be true. I wonder what the price point of something like this will cost.

Pocks said:
6" screen, hmm..

The Wii Remote measures 5.83" x 1.43" — that happens to be exactly 6" diagonally.

5.83² + 1.43² = c²
33.99 + 2.05 = c²
36.04 = c²
c = 6.00 inches

Could be a coincidence, but I don't think Nintendo is going to go with a conventional touch screen on the controller. If there is any truth to the rumor, I bet it'll be a new remote with some sort of haptic feedback on the surface.. Who knows..

HAHA, I love pre console launch hype. It brings out so much far out thinking!

Game Guru

Amir0x said:
Yeah Wii Shop purchase BC is a biiiiig point for me. I really want to hear about that. It will literally determine whether I spend a dime on Wii HD's shop or not. There is no way all the money I spent on downladable games should be eliminated in the move to Wii HD, considering how simple it would be to retain licenses for the software you downloaded.

If Nintendo could not do that, then I would not trust them enough to do it for Wii HD's successor, and that'd make me turn to other downloadable services.

Well, that is one for me also. Even though I admit that I am a Nintendo fan, I also understand that Nintendo's online is absolutely horrid. The only reason I actually accept the Wii's shop is because it's the only way to get most classic console games legally without buying the original console and game and at least in the US, those games are quality emulations.

I remember when PS2 would get a collection of classic games ever third week or so and they would be $20 or $30 if you were dealing with a quality franchise like Street Fighter or Megaman. You were willing to accept the typical Backbone Entertainment downgrades when it was like $1 a game. Now, outside of Sega, Namco, and SNK, you are lucky to get 3 games for $20, and it still gets the Backbone Entertainment downgrade. Bah!

BocoDragon said:
No camera control in TP..... ugh

Going from Wind Waker (OMG I can move the camera, all hail the Nintendo Gamecube!) to Twilight Princess (WTF I can't move the camera, boo to the Wii Remote) was harsh.

If the Super Wii's graphical fidelity is on par with the PS3 and 360, not to mention a dual analog stick setup, there is simply no reason we won't start seeing a much, much bigger lineup of games that otherwise passed by the Wii this generation. Besides console exclusives, I'm getting a really positive gut feeling about third party support with this next console.

A man can dream.

StickSoldier said:
Best system ever confirmed, if that shit turns out to be true. I wonder what the price point of something like this will cost.

hmm after "excited fanbase " and "not gonna fuck up 3ds sales " taxes i'd say 349-399.

NEO0MJ

Artadius said:
Wait, what other console downloadable services allow you to retain licenses to their successor?

Pretty sure it will be possible with the next Xbox/PS. I mean you can download your PSX games to both your PSP and PS3.

Artadius said:

There's IOS. And it's almost certainly going to be there for Sony and Microsoft's new consoles and the NGP. Even DSIWare is transferable to the 3DS. Pointing to other console precedents is stupid, downloadable services didn't exist before.

Vagabundo

Amir0x said:
Dual analog is superior in so many ways for so many genres that all this tells people is that you will never be hired as a game designer and if you were ever in the field the employee in question would be forced to burn your resume to cleanse the office of the curse you wrought from being so infinitely wrong

lol

There is a few things POINTING is better at, chiefly, in games you must aim a lot, where that is the primary function. Also RTS. And there are a lot of games like that. Unfortunately for you, dual analog is such a absolute necessity than even in these pointing games a analog stick is a requisite for movement. And of course, the master use: camera control with movement.

Gotta save that for the fourth Wii iteration! lol

The benefit of having the point control the camera instead of the second analogue stick is that your thumb is free to press buttons. It is a inherently superior scheme.

The problems here are with game design and bad camera control.

EDIT: Just to be clear I believe in single analogue controls. Having to use the second stick is the abomination.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
AzureNightmare said:
could you be any more wrong?

he has a point, I don't enjoy looking at the controlls when i get a new console, takes a bit to get into the zone, but with an ever changing screen display?

Kenka

AzureNightmare said:
could you be any more wrong?

I guess he refers more to reading what's on the screen. If the screen only displays a color, just like what we have with Move for example, then it won't be much of a problem I guess.

re: Third-party games to be shown. If the Fall 2012 launch is correct, we might see something more significant than up-ports. If the talk of third-parties having had the kits for months is correct... plenty of time to get a prototype or two up and running, particularly if target specs have been punted around and shared with them in an ongoing process as far back as 2008.

evangd007 said:
Power Wii. Now you're playing with power.

Interestingly, Power Wii was - IIRC - trademarked by Nintendo :)

Amir0x

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Agree with this... All classic style Wii games on the Wiimote have failure camera controls (D-pad camera control in Okami...... No camera control in TP..... ugh)

And so does Nintendo if the rumour is true Dual Analog returns to its rightful place on the throne of people who understand game design

Like I said, welcome back Nintendo :salute:. Between 3DS and the hopeful light of some of the nicer rumours being true, things are lookin' up.

Touch

disappeared said:
I'd totally be down with them calling it the Super Wii.
Super Wii is by far the best name so far. It has a nice flow. "Hey, you looking forward to Fallout 4?" Yeah, just reserved it on Super Wii!" Sounds good to me.

HolyCheck said:
he has a point, I don't enjoy looking at the controlls when i get a new console, takes a bit to get into the zone, but with an ever changing screen display?

Maybe the touch screen will be with no buttons on it. You hold onto a controller and use whatever finger to mimmick certain moves the game's avatar can do.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Going back to traditional controllers would be a huge mistake IMO.

Wiimote+Nunchuk is superior to controllers; they just need to fix the ergonomics of the Wiimote, and they are done.

The problem is that games ARE DESIGNED with the XBOX 360 controller in mind, that's why it's difficult to change those controls to work with the Wiimote, but you can design virtually any game today with the Wiimote in mind, and it would work perfectly, and in most cases better than traditional controllers.

If you say you can't play Street Fighter with a Wiimote, I agree with you, but then, you can't play it either with the Xbox 360's controller, at least you CAN use the D-Pad in the Wiimote (and frankly, if you want to play that, you use an arcade stick).

If you say FPSs work better, I will just point and laugh at you and your absolute ignorance
KuGsj.gif

If you say that platformers work better, I will point all the successful examples of platformers on the Wii and say that platformers need only a D-Pad and one button, the rest is for hardlycores (guns, etc).

If you say racers work better, I will say that yes they do, but it's not terrible or even bad with a Wiimote+Nunchuk.

The only problem I see with the Wiimote is that last gen, many games used the second stick for camera, and that is difficult to translate to the Wiimote, and I agree with you, but that is a design problem, not an input problem.

Also, I like having independent hands to play, big upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom