• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct09

With things like Mortal Kombat and Twisted Metal, retro naming is all the rage these days. They should just name it the Nintendo Entertainment System.

birdchili

Vagabundo said:
The benefit of having the point control the camera instead of the second analogue stick is that your thumb is free to press buttons. It is a inherently superior scheme.
are there any wii games that have good third-person camera control mapped to the pointer?

i agree that moving the right thumb to the stick for camera stinks... but my experience with wii cameras wouldn't bring the word "superior" to mind at all...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Struct09 said:
With things like Mortal Kombat and Twisted Metal, retro naming is all the rage these days. They should just name it the Nintendo Entertainment System.
No way: Famicom

Flying_Phoenix said:
No it was the developers.

No, it was both. (Affordable) motion control was too early when the Wii came out to have the developers truly embrace the possibilities of the tech. Think 3D nowadays- Avatar is awesome, but it's nothing else come close to what it achieved, and even then the core product (ignoring the tech) isn't going to leave a huge impression. The same can be said for games that utilised the original Wii motion tech well (early games like Smooth Moves and Wii Sports are much the same.

Meanwhile, developers are too put off by the outdated Wii graphics tech and lack of HD support, plus mad incentives from Sony/MS (the latter applies more to the publishers devs work for, of course), to bother making Wii games in the first place, so most of the truly creative devs aren't working on the platform, so of course you aren't going to see people take advantage of the tech.

It was both. We're at the point now where the tech is strong enough to sport the vision- we're at the point of 'true glasses-free 3D', to continue the comparison- so when new consoles begin launching with motion controls on day one, we can start pointing the finger at lazy developers. Until then, it was both.

bidaum

Heavy said:
Wow @ dual analog sticks. Nintendo is doing everything right with this thing.

."significantly" more powerful than the 360 and PS3 (I'm still concerned about this being bogus and it only being slightly more powerful, which would suck balls)
. touch screen on the controller
. dual analog sticks
. 1080p
. 1st and 3rd party games to be shown at E3
. perfect time to launch (Fall 2012)

All that's left is confirmation of a much-improved online service as that's key to grab this demographic.
I think touchscreen on controller is a little scary...

antonz

A nod to the NES would be pretty cool. All of its major franchises are or just have celebrated 25 years. Time to kick it old school

JCRedeems

Banned
What does Metroid creator Sakamoto have to say about the next Wii?

Metroid Co-Creator: Next Nintendo Console Will "Leave Your Mouth Open"

Try not to drool
All it takes is a cursory glance at the company's history to see that Nintendo is not one to hold back a good ol' curveball when need be. The unconventional Wii and DS took the world by storm, and the forthcoming 3DS looks set to bring the portable wows. But what about the company's next home console?

If Metroid co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto is to be believed, Nintendo is shooting for nothing less than to blow your mind.

When asked by 3D Juegos (via CVG) about Nintendo's future home console plans, Sakamoto noted that there'll probably be shock and awe of some sort.

At Nintendo we always have the obligation to surprise users with a new game console. We have never done what others have. We prefer to create something new that catches attention, and I think this will continue this time as well. Surely the new Nintendo machine will leave you all with your mouth open.

Don't expect that new machine to launch any time soon though, as CEO Satoru Iwata has earlier expressed that it could be years from now, but know that it's been cooking in Nintendo R&D for a while.

Whenever we launch any new hardware, we start working on the development of the next hardware, and the Wii is no exception. When we run out of ideas with the current hardware and cannot give users any more meaningful surprises with the technology we have, that's when we will launch the new hardware.

What would the next Nintendo console have to do to make your jaw drop?
http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/20...t_nintendo_console_will_leave_your_mouth_open

Anyone expecting the next Nintendo console to be just like the Wii but with improved visuals had better think again after yet another leading Nintendo figure has promised that the console will surprise gamers.

This time its Metroid man Yoshio Sakamoto who has chosen to speak out about the Wii's successor in an interview with Spanish gaming site 3dJuegos

"At Nintendo we always have the obligation to surprise users with a new game console," he said.

"We have never done what others have. We prefer to create something new that catches attention, and I think this will continue this time as well. Surely the new Nintendo machine will leave you all with your mouth open."

Of course this isn't the first time that Nintendo has spoken out about the successor to Wii. Last month Satoru Iwata told investors that Nintendo are working on the Wii but that he wouldn't be revealing any details because he wants to surprise fans.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine...ndos-next-console-will-surprise-you-sakamoto/

Thank you Nintendo. I'm on board if it is not just an hardware upgrade with better motion controls. While the small hardcore community salivates over graphics, the majority of gamers and "non gamers" want to be surprised with new gameplay experiences.

If Nintendo sticks their formula innovation + differentiation they have another money maker on their hands.

Mindlog

Vagabundo said:
The benefit of having the point control the camera instead of the second analogue stick is that your thumb is free to press buttons. It is a inherently superior scheme.
No, this is seed of an inherently superior scheme. Mind you I don't believe any company will actually try an ergonomic button layout. "It's too hard hard for the casual audience. What if we made the A button look hardcore, but kept the controls stupid simple? Magic Johnny! Magic."

NewFresh

Heavy said:
Wow @ dual analog sticks. Nintendo is doing everything right with this thing.

."significantly" more powerful than the 360 and PS3 (I'm still concerned about this being bogus and it only being slightly more powerful, which would suck balls)
. touch screen on the controller
. dual analog sticks
. 1080p
. 1st and 3rd party games to be shown at E3
. perfect time to launch (Fall 2012)

All that's left is confirmation of a much-improved online service as that's key to grab this demographic.

PRICE

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Call it NESHD and dub it the proper sequel to the classic console. Hell, even make it look like an NES with a removable SSD or controller charging station where the old NES carts loaded.

Vagabundo

Mindlog said:
No, this is seed of an inherently superior scheme. Mind you I don't believe any company will actually try an ergonomic button layout. "It's too hard hard for the casual audience. What if we made the A button look hardcore, but kept the controls stupid simple? Magic Johnny! Magic."

Good lord!!

What not to do:

avenger23.jpg

I don't get why dual analog would be needed for a controller that has a touch screens, pointer, and motion controls. I mean nearly anything needed from a second analog stick (aiming, camera movement, quick reflexes), can be easily replicated. I kind of see that similar to how NGP lacks an L2, R2, and L3, R3.

Green Scar said:
No, it was both. (Affordable) motion control was too early when the Wii came out to have the developers truly embrace the possibilities of the tech. Think 3D nowadays- Avatar is awesome, but it's nothing else come close to what it achieved, and even then the core product (ignoring the tech) isn't going to leave a huge impression. The same can be said for games that utilised the original Wii motion tech well (early games like Smooth Moves and Wii Sports are much the same.

Meanwhile, developers are too put off by the outdated Wii graphics tech and lack of HD support, plus mad incentives from Sony/MS (the latter applies more to the publishers devs work for, of course), to bother making Wii games in the first place, so most of the truly creative devs aren't working on the platform, so of course you aren't going to see people take advantage of the tech.

It was both. We're at the point now where the tech is strong enough to sport the vision- we're at the point of 'true glasses-free 3D', to continue the comparison- so when new consoles begin launching with motion controls on day one, we can start pointing the finger at lazy developers. Until then, it was both.

You make a good point...but I still disagree a bit. The games I listed prior created new terrains for developers. I'm not asking for the complete 1:1 motion controlling experience, but more so something the significantly evolves the present control formula in which I've found in some of these games but not enough. In other words some games like SSX practically nailed a control concept but it was never seen again.

Amir0x said:
guys what if "Wii" is not in the name at all!?

This would be like Apple dropping the "i" from their media device line.

Clott

Super Wii sounds good. I like how this thread says rumor now in the title thread, if I am not mistaken, last night it was "information" but now people aren't so sure today?

StickSoldier said:
Best system ever confirmed, if that shit turns out to be true. I wonder what the price point of something like this will cost.
I'd gladly pay $400 for it at launch. That's a pittance for a device you're going to use liberally for 4 or 5 years at minimum. Consumers are now used to paying top dollar for high-end electronics... cell phones, tablets, netbooks, e-readers, etc. I wouldn't blink an eye if it cost $400 or even $450 and gladly pre-order.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Basileus777 said:
There's IOS. And it's almost certainly going to be there for Sony and Microsoft's new consoles and the NGP. Even DSIWare is transferable to the 3DS. Pointing to other console precedents is stupid, downloadable services didn't exist before.
Why almost certainly? Of the 3 consoles this generation one had complete backwards compatibility, one had pretty much complete backwards compatibility but then they removed it completely and one had incomplete backwards compatibility.
Why do people think that backwards compatibility will be different for downloadable games versus disk games - is the 720 almost certain to have full backwards compatibility for 360 disk games? Keeping your downloaded titles will be less about which consoles have accounts, and more to do with which consoles remain on the same hardware fork.

birdchili

Amir0x said:
that was certainly implied by the original rumour... it has certain advantages if they're going full-bore to gain some "core" mindshare back... it just seems nuts to ditch the name given the success they've had with it.

i don't think a more "normal" console strategy (ie: core first and chase the other folk as the price comes down) is necessarily insane for nintendo right now... they can keep putting out some wii ___ iterations for the old hardware if they want.

Amir0x

Banned
Bisnic said:
Pii it is then.
Cosmonaut X said:
The part of one report that said they were looking to create a new brand and target Western gamers would suggest that...

it's Nintendo Frii.

The spirit of Freedom, amplified. *American Eagle soars*

Flying_Phoenix said:
I don't get why dual analog would be needed for a controller that has a touch screens, pointer, and motion controls. I mean nearly anything needed from a second analog stick (aiming, camera movement, quick reflexes), can be easily replicated. I kind of see that similar to how NGP lacks an L2, R2, and L3, R3.

Because the dual analog is the superior, more comfortable and flexible control standard for most genres. It could be replicated in some format. It would just be replicated inferior. Dual analog is inferior for some genres (RTS and most aiming games, basically that's all), but it is far too much better than the alternatives for other genres.

I'm not taking step backs for gimmicks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Amir0x said:
I'd be very surprised if it was.

Certain consoles have been so red hot, even at the time of their demise, that it made sense to carry the name forward... NES, Playstation, Game boy, DS....

But at this point the Wii fad is over... I wouldn't want to attach my name to an old fad, if I were Nintendo... I'd launch a new fad.

I just hope they don't overprice the thing like the 3DS.

Should be $250 max.

Though I do need to see the tech, but still in this economy it isn't wise to launch something expensive.

pirata

Everyone who's expecting some sort of gigantic blow-out at E3 this year needs to reign in their expectations. It sounds like people are just now getting dev kits (hence the sudden deluge of leaks), so they probably won't show much off. Hell, we may be hearing more now than they're going to say at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom