• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
trumptards at it again lol

in other news, Putin clearly not scared someone will fucking snap his neck any second now, hence this totally normal way to talk to his top officials
8iyucyy0glk81.jpg
Social distancing.

RAÏSanÏa

Litte bit of interesting news, apparently the Crimea Tatar's have apparently taken up arms to join the war against Russia, interesting if true imho.

In diversity there is beauty and there is strength

MadAnon

trumptards at it again lol

in other news, Putin clearly not scared someone will fucking snap his neck any second now, hence this totally normal way to talk to his top officials
8iyucyy0glk81.jpg
Is that a russian interpretation of a zoom call?

And what the hell is that prop on that table? Some kind of a nuclear launch control panel prop?

betrayal

Banned
Sure he didn't:

There is a mistake in your quoted German tweet. It is about the price of 1000 cubic meters, not one (1). Check the original english Tweet.

1000 cubic meters of gas were already ~1880€ in Europe in december 2021.

It's about the general gas price, which will rise as a result. Maybe you should read up and learn what the main factors influencing oil and gas prices are.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

There are going to be statues of Zelenskyy all over Ukraine when this is over.

Sadly I wouldent take that bet.

Mostly because I don't think there will be a Ukraine by the end.

The UK has its hands tied as a member of NATO, but I wish that Boris would just do the right thing and move from freezing assets to seizing like the US and France. Russian planned for the Freeze, however I think the movement and threat of permentally taking assets off the board in retaliation of the conflict would male a hell of alot of rich Russians start changing their tune.

Outside of that it will be the next few days that will see how this all plays out, Putin hasent got the time with the way things are going economically, so I think he's going to hit hard, civilian casualties be damned.

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
Isn't Russia a signatory to treaties prohibiting the use of WMD's? How is it that, after decades of prevailing MAD philosophy guiding the use of nukes, Putin is allowed to and willing to speak about using nukes simply if he cannot win a conventional war? A war that isn't even about his own country being invaded, mind you. If you feel you can't win a conventional war, strengthen your partnerships/allies, strengthen your tech/military, engage in other types of warfare (non-WMD, e.g. financial/information warfare) etc. You can't just threaten the use of nukes because you're outgunned. It's never been done by anyone. It is an affront to reason. Putin has legitimate security concerns, some of which I agree with, and those need to be addressed. But not like this.

It's like if the USA said 15 years ago "well, this war in Iraq/Afghanistan doesn't look winnable because the people are suicidal and fight guerilla warfare, so let's just level the countries with nukes." Literally the same mentality as what Putin is espousing. It is abhorrent. WMD's and conventional warfare are non-overlapping strategies, and should remain so. All nations need to adhere to this. Obviously, no one can stop a leader from saying things such as Putin did, but what I don't understand is why there wasn't more vocal and concerted pushback against that rhetoric when it occurred for the reasons stated above.

akimbo009

Gold Member
They confirmed how they have accepted an application document to the EU for consideration. They have not yet accepted them as a member, normally a long process. It was announced by the EU earlier today.

There has been other endorsements as well to accept and accelerate the process.

If accepted, and that's a BIG if, there are defense provisions in the EU charter that could expand the EUs obligation to provide more direct support.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
There has been other endorsements as well to accept and accelerate the process.

If accepted, and that's a BIG if, there are defense provisions in the EU charter that could expand the EUs obligation to provide more direct support.
Is this Europe trying to find a way in without it being a NATO action that forces America in?

Dev1lXYZ

As an American, I wish we had leaders like this. Instead we've had Trump and now Biden with Obama being the last true leader.
Russia walked right in Crimea during the Obama administration. That's why Russia expected the same this time around. Biden's Afghan withdrawal disaster convinced them we were in a place of weakness to do much or care.

Rossco EZ

24 hours until that big convoy reaches kiev apparently
300 tanks
300 bmp3’s
130 heavy artillery guns
rocket launcher trucks
lots of supply trucks too

Romulus

The Russian convoy seems very susceptible to drones with how densely packed/lax they are. They would be absolutely obliterated or demoralized if Ukraine had enough drones. The US Air Force would wreck them at night, especially considering those Turkish drones are having success.

Rossco EZ

The Russian convoy seems very susceptible to drones with how densely packed/lax they are. They would be absolutely obliterated or demoralized if Ukraine had enough drones. The US Air Force would wreck them at night, especially considering those Turkish drones are having success.
if that big convoy isn’t at least protected by some sort of air support then they are completely stupid.. but they are proving to be not very smart up to now so who knows

sinnergy

I think that’s what the Ukrainians are gone do.. and some stingers from the side ..

Alebrije

24 hours until that big convoy reaches kiev apparently
300 tanks
300 bmp3’s
130 heavy artillery guns
rocket launcher trucks
lots of supply trucks too
But why Ucrania just not send some airplanes and nuke it?

How a convoy this size can travel so easily ,like if it were a walk in the park...

Wildebeest

Is this Europe trying to find a way in without it being a NATO action that forces America in?
NATO has not been a focus of Europe for a long time, despite paranoia about the plans of evil NATO from "old comrades" who are nostalgic for the old Cold War rhetoric they grew up with. What we are seeing emerging is something that even the US itself tried to oppose in the past, which is the organization of a coordinated EU military strategy. The military budget of the EU as a whole is much greater than Russia, especially with the new commitments from Germany.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
NATO has not been a focus of Europe for a long time, despite paranoia about the plans of evil NATO from "old comrades" who are nostalgic for the old Cold War rhetoric they grew up with. What we are seeing emerging is something that even the US itself tried to oppose in the past, which is the organization of a coordinated EU military strategy. The military budget of the EU as a whole is much greater than Russia, especially with the new commitments from Germany.
Besides being able to temper escalation from Russia by saying the US isn't involved, Europe has the fresh memory of an American President trying to extort money out of European countries by undermining America's commitment to NATO. Europe had lots of reasons to not let Russia run rampant and invade other countries. They also have plenty incentive to stop Russia without relying on the US.

Thaedolus

It was pointless anyway. You can't just Transfer planes, put a pilot in it and go wreck things. It doesn't work like that. You need operational airfields defended from long distance missiles, supply lines and supporting manpower to maintain them and keep those planes useful. It's a logistical nightmare in this kind of a situation.
I think the thought process was these were the same models (or close variants) of fighters Ukrainian pilots would be familiar with, and they could fly sorties out of the West to keep the airspace contested. But sounds like that’s all moot now.

JayK47

So weird seeing so many civilians on many of these combat videos. There are going to be civilian casualties if they have not evacuated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom