• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romulus

if that big convoy isn’t at least protected by some sort of air support then they are completely stupid.. but they are proving to be not very smart up to now so who knows

I don't think they are well protected. The problem is there is only so much you can do. A drone can be launched at very short notice and the chance of the convoy having quick countermeasures is low. Another problem is the level of protection would decrease if an army sent swarms and attacked different sections of the convoy from different altitudes. The US for exampe has over 650 highly capable attack drones.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
Is this Europe trying to find a way in without it being a NATO action that forces America in?

There is a lot of support to do more I suspect, such as air support or greater logistics. But since Europe is considering Ukraine a part of Europe it is possible they do something here while avoiding the NATO question.

They better do it soon though if they are going to do something

MadAnon

Even Russia communications are from the 80s everything is unencrypted 🤣 what a garbage army, to bad we can’t send some f35 or bombers to bomb this old skool 80s shit convoy.

What’s even more brilliant he already lost before he has won..
There's footage of surrendering russian soldiers wearing ww2 helmets.

Loope

24 hours until that big convoy reaches kiev apparently
300 tanks
300 bmp3’s
130 heavy artillery guns
rocket launcher trucks
lots of supply trucks too
Maybe i'm being juvenile and naive, but why don't they concentrate their drone capacity on this column that is taking a while to get there? Bomb the shit of the front and middle?

akimbo009

Gold Member
Maybe i'm being juvenile and naive, but why don't they concentrate their drone capacity on this column that is taking a while to get there? Bomb the shit of the front and middle?

There's actually 3 primary columns... And a couple drones won't do much but delay in things. They should do that, but it's more a delay if they want to something else.

They did get their su-27 back from Romania today. It's probably a suicide mission to do much with it but that's an option here now.

Wildebeest

Besides being able to temper escalation from Russia by saying the US isn't involved, Europe has the fresh memory of an American President trying to extort money out of European countries by undermining America's commitment to NATO. Europe had lots of reasons to not let Russia run rampant and invade other countries. They also have plenty incentive to stop Russia without relying on the US.
Yes. I don't want to say it on an American forum, but there is the idea that the US is not only an unreliable ally in general terms but that their "hyperpower" military is more bark than bite, having lost war after war in backwards countries.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
70 fighters is like the entire inventory of Russian fighters in all of those countries.

The number just don't add up
As someone said earlier, if they offload their Soviet junk onto Ukraine they can justify buying modern European jets.

Hari Seldon

Yes. I don't want to say it on an American forum, but there is the idea that the US is not only an unreliable ally in general terms but that their "hyperpower" military is more bark than bite, having lost war after war in backwards countries.
From a US perspective it would be nice if someone in Europe could sustain some type of military operation without immediately needing the US help. That way we can actually draw down defense spending.

Wildebeest

From a US perspective it would be nice if someone in Europe could sustain some type of military operation without immediately needing the US help. That way we can actually draw down defense spending.
I'm British, so I guess I am in the same boat. But since the Kosovo war, the conflicts we have been in all seem to be very poorly judged, with no clear strategic goals.

Mokus

In my opinion, for now they use the drones on the eastern front where is more urgent. The column as it is hurts nobody for now.

Gp1

As someone said earlier, if they offload their Soviet junk onto Ukraine they can justify buying modern European jets.

I said it too.
But not their entire inventory in one shot. It's not like there is a parking lot in Europe or USA with F-35 or Rafales to replace a whole air force in case of some of this countries.

Ps. They don't use drones or the air force against the "Kyiv express" because this one probably has ISR cover and is heavily protected.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

i’d expect them to do that too but i have no idea on the drone situation for them. i mean russia must not care or know the Ukrainians can’t do anything to that convoy otherwise why would they have such a big force (they said on the news it’s essentially a massive military traffic jam with how far it stretches back) going down one road like that.. against a country with a decent air force that convoy turns into a graveyard.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Beyond military supplies, we need to start getting food en masse to Ukraine. Their morale won't hold out long if they're starving.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Click on the tweet for an interesting discussion about Russian communication and logistical support (or lack thereof).

Part of this is planned. The parts about soldiers not knowing whats going on till the last minute was done so their troops don't reconsider, quit, ask questions, rebel, or leak info.

I dont think the average Russian citizen or soldier hates Ukraine they've been itching to get back at them for decades. So Putin and his commanders had to mislead them.

It's no different than companies not telling their staff about new products coming in a year or so. You got to keep employees in the dark where only a small number of people know. Because if you spill the beans early then the staff get less interested in the current stuff and sales people have the biggest loose lips in every office.

Last edited:

chromhound

Gold Member
The 2 people who can save us from this war
steven-seagal-ukraine-249.jpg

ja-rule-sold-drugs-to-family-friends-1597088681.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
In 5 years?! Sure!

5 years! Excuse my ignorance, but why can't they just make them a member now?

Also, I see this hasn't weakened the EU like Putin planned, but instead has strengthened the EU beyond measure. This could be the starting point for a true united states of Europe.

cd_jakevas

Maybe the can send 5 - 10 at once.
Just to give you an idea of scale. Ukraine is said to have a total of (6) TB2 drones. They had 48 on order, no idea on many they've received. The drones have an approximate range of 95 miles. Ukraine is roughly the size of Texas. I am actually surprised at the overall state of their air force.

Sakura

Also, I see this hasn't weakened the EU like Putin planned, but instead has strengthened the EU beyond measure. This could be the starting point for a true united states of Europe.
What is the point in making them a member now other than PR?
If they don't win against Russia then it won't really matter.
If they get turned into a puppet state, then is there going to be a Russian puppet state in the EU?

Romulus

Those drones are not A-10s or even Apaches. They might have 1-2 missiles per drone and then need to re-arm.

Those Turkish drones carry 4 of those missiles. And based on the damage of that one video, 4x that is nothing to sneeze at. Thats pure devastation.

And drones are cheaper. I don't think its so much about wiping out the entire convoy, just continually demoralize them. Its the equivalent to the stinger in the air, and no risk of losing a pilot either.

Last edited:

Mokus

EU is mainly an economic union with strict requirements to have a healthy judicial system. Ukraine is an extremely corrupt country, mainly because of the oligarchs.

I believe that many EU members want this process to be as long as possible. Ukraine doesn’t meet any requirement to be part of the EU. It is one of the most corrupt countries in the world to begin with (according to Transparency International).

Vestal

What you say is 100% correct while at the same time, the US or any of the major EU powers could have done more in 2014. They choose not to.
Choose is a rather strong term given the context... Ukraine was in the middle of a internal political mess having just ousted Russian Stooge/Dictator Yanukovych along with having gone through 100 days of HELL to get to that point.

Vestal

I believe that many EU members want this process to be as long as possible. Ukraine doesn’t meet any requirement to be part of the EU. It is one of the most corrupt countries in the world to begin with (according to Transparency International).
Please review recent history.. Ukraine was on the brink of joining the EU in 2013 (papers were already finalized just awaiting signatures)until Yanukovych did a 180 and refused to sign into the agreement.

Edit: I should do the same.. Ukraine joined into the original agreement blocked by Yanukovych in Sept 2014...

Last edited:
I'd 'imagine' there is a few aa capable vehicles mixed in?

Good bomber run can take them out, but majority of ukraine airports are out of commission by now.

nbcjr

Amidst all sanctions, the very weak tech-word sanctions is appalling. Neither google, facebook/meta or apple are banning russian users or even the media outlets worldwide. The outlets are only banned in UE and russians can still normally access all sites.

If they were banned from whatsapp/youtube/facebook/gmail the uproar would be immense, and public pressure from inside of Russia can be very effective in changing the course of the war.

I expected more support from tech world, but I guess user count is more important to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom