• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Amidst all sanctions, the very weak tech-word sanctions is appalling. Neither google, facebook/meta or apple are banning russian users or even the media outlets worldwide. The outlets are only banned in UE and russian can still normally access all sites. If they were banned from whatsapp/youtube/facebook/gmail the uproar would be immense, and public pressure from inside of Russia can be very effective in changing the course of the war.
Of course they haven't banned Russian users. The world WANTS the Russian people to have access to those sites and sources. Its the only way they will know what is going on. If you cut them off from the rest of the world they will only receive Russian propaganda.

Nobody_Important

Woops.... Can only imagine the reaction from Moldova Government when they saw this..

I wouldn't be so sure. Russia seems to be incapable of keeping it's troops supplied. Any forces they send to Moldova would just run out of gas halfway there.

Sakura

Please review recent history.. Ukraine was on the brink of joining the EU in 2013 (papers were already finalized just awaiting signatures)until Yanukovych did a 180 and refused to sign into the agreement.
No they were not. They were going to sign an Association Agreement before they backtracked, resulting in all the riots etc removing Yanukovych from power. They have since already signed the agreement.

Last edited:

nbcjr

Of course they haven't banned Russian users. The world WANTS the Russian people to have access to those sites and sources. Its the only way they will know what is going on. If you cut them off from the rest of the world they will only receive Russian propaganda.

This is a fair point, but they could at least block Russian outlets worldwide, and block non-informative tools, like gmail/teams/onedrive/office 365. This would cripple many russian companies.

Vestal

No they were not. They were going to sign an Association Agreement before they backtracked, resulting in all the riots etc removing Yanukovych from power. They have since already signed the agreement.
Yup egg on my face on that one.. I mixed up the ramifications of the different proposals and agreements that were discussed/pushed for.

I think this is hilarious as Russia forcefully annexed Crimea in 2014. Obama kicked the can down the road. Who knows why this did not happen under Trump but its happening now and its under Biden.
Let's not forget, there were numerous accusations that Trump was in well with the Russians. His wife is Russian for that matter and appears to have more gears turning than to be with that bobble-headed dope. But she ended up being the first lady. Is it possible that she's KGB? Who knows. But last thing Putin wanted to do was make Trump look bad and even said good things about him. Why though? Why did Putin say good things about an American President unless he had something to gain?

From 2016:

Secondly, Russia has Nukes and is not afraid to use them. No one wants Russia to escalate because of this. They even have Project Dead Hand still active which automatically fires them in the event of catastrophy.

EDIT: Well fuck, I was way off base. Whoops

Last edited:

Vestal

Let's not forget, there were numerous accusations that Trump was in well with the Russians. His wife is Russian for that matter and appears to have more gears turning than to be with that bobble-headed dope. But she ended up being the first lady. Is it possible that she's KGB? Who knows. But last thing Putin wanted to do was make Trump look bad and even said good things about him. Why though? Why did Putin say good things about an American President unless he had something to gain?

From 2016:

Lets not start down this road please.. It will lead to this thread being blocked..

I get it is relevant, and arguably an important discussion to be had in regards to over all Russia/US policy/decisions. But its politics, and politics are nonos here :)

Last edited:

From 2016:

Secondly, Russia has Nukes and is not afraid to use them. No one wants Russia to escalate because of this. They even have Project Dead Hand still active which automatically fires them in the event of catastrophy.

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Lets not start down this road please.. It will lead to this thread being blocked..
Fair, but there could be a reason why Putin laid dormant for Trump. I'm sure that falls under conspiracy, but these are easy puzzle pieces to put together. I'll be quiet however.

Vestal

Fair, but there could be a reason why Putin laid dormant for Trump. I'm sure that falls under conspiracy, but these are easy puzzle pieces to put together. I'll be quiet however.
I agree with you, but sadly it will derail any discussion and make it a Right v Left thing, and back to tribalism we go :/

chromhound

Gold Member
what's the point of bombing the whole place if most of us are dead lol

Fluo

Amidst all sanctions, the very weak tech-word sanctions is appalling. Neither google, facebook/meta or apple are banning russian users or even the media outlets worldwide. The outlets are only banned in UE and russians can still normally access all sites.

If they were banned from whatsapp/youtube/facebook/gmail the uproar would be immense, and public pressure from inside of Russia can be very effective in changing the course of the war.

I expected more support from tech world, but I guess user count is more important to them.
As much as I understand your reaction, what are you hoping to accomplish with this? Besides, Roskomnadzor is hard at work blocking or slowing down any non-official source from our side, so no action necessary.

jason10mm

Gold Member
From a US perspective it would be nice if someone in Europe could sustain some type of military operation without immediately needing the US help. That way we can actually draw down defense spending.
There is a certain value in keeping everyone dependent on the US for any (particularly outside their own borders) military action. Imagine how much fighting there may have been in the last 70 years of every european country still had a full spectrum military.

But yeah, it's a big expense on the US keeping those carrier battle groups up and running.

Mokus

Say hello to my little friend
Ukraine is basically in Pokemon mode. Got catch em all

Most likely it was abandoned. It seems like that the Russian heavy artillery is one use only. Once it's out of ammo or fuel it needs to be replaced.

Nobody_Important

Most likely it was abandoned. It seems like that the Russian heavy artillery is one use only. Once it's out of ammo or fuel it needs to be replaced.
Pretty sure they haven't used it yet. If there was a full salvo of Thermobaric bombs at a target we would know about it.

Last edited:

cd_jakevas

From 2016:

EDIT: Well fuck, I was way off base. Whoops

Wow.

RAÏSanÏa

People really shouldn't film russian military.
I'm almost sure he was targeted because they thought he could be a spotter/sniper.

This is fucking dangerous and them shooting at you is your own stupid fault.

Precautions will be learnt quick.

Hope those Starlink gifts came with instructions about enemy signal tracking.

Nobody_Important

Billionaires are getting impatient with Putin. Too much money is on the line

2 things you never mess with in this day and age. Family and money. And Putin has basically made these billionaires and their families not only broke compared to their previous wealth, but he has basically painted a target on all of their backs.

Putin should probably stay on the ground floor of all his buildings at this point. Just to be safe.

sinnergy

2 things you never mess with in this day and age. Family and money. And Putin has basically made these billionaires and their families not only broke compared to their previous wealth, but he has basically painted a target on all of their backs.

Putin should probably stay on the ground floor of all his buildings at this point. Just to be safe.
He is in a bunker somewhere.. that’s what cowards do.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Is russia launching an atomic bomb a REAL possibility?

Like nobody in the russian army is gonna stop putin from starting a full fledged world war that is gonna fuck the entire russia forever?! At a certain point someone is gonna stop this guy from doing crazy things...right?

I want to believe that nobody in russia really want to release a nuke...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom