• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadAnon

How could he send troops like this? Is it a subtle way from generals that they don’t agree? Or has corruption ate away at Russian forces from within?
Their army, tech was usually prized for being so cost efficient. Well, it turns out you can't fool numbers and maintaining big, advanced army with economy smaller than Italy's isn't possible. There's reason why USA has such a huge military budget.

darrylgorn

I dont Want the world to get draw into this as that is when stuff goes mental fast.

It's already mental that we're allowing this to happen in the first place.

We have military stationed outside of Ukraine already.

We should send them in and drive the Russians back to their border.

If we make the effort of goodwill now, it will be a guaranteed benefit later.

Sakura

What are you even talking about? Its just a fact. The massive convoy moving to take Kyiv has basically not moved due to poor logistical support. You think they are going to take a heavily defended city with over a million people in it in just a few days?

I'm not the one that needs to wake up here.
Isn't the plan to just encircle the city and wait for it to surrender? Realistically how much food and supplies does a modern city have to last a siege? I'd imagine with the way our supply chains and everything works today, a city of a million+ gets everything from outside the city and doesn't exactly have a ton of food stores (though maybe they have significantly prepared in this regard, still though feeding million+...).

sinnergy

Russia has recent combat experience in the middle east, sending a bunch of decrepit cold war shit driven by boys who don't even know they are going to war and with no way to contact HQ seems like a complete distraction. If it wasn't for all the sanctions fucking up their economy I would have said peace negotiations would finish as soon as they got what they wanted in the east. Now I have no idea what their plan is.
They have no plan .. you guys are overthinking .. he is delusional and ordered a half baked attack ..

Vestal

It's already mental that we're allowing this to happen in the first place.

We have military stationed outside of Ukraine already.

We should send them in and drive the Russians back to their border.

If we make the effort of goodwill now, it will be a guaranteed benefit later.
It is not that simple. Putting NATO/EU/US troops on the ground in Ukraine signals a MAJOR escalation unheard of in the past 50 years.

Havoc2049

Psychological effects will cripple this Russian invasion. This is the smartphone generation where everything is a button push, and these troops have no good reason to be in Ukraine. Low morale, shit supply lines, shit equipment, all the while their friends will be dying.

What are you even talking about? Its just a fact. The massive convoy moving to take Kyiv has basically not moved due to poor logistical support. You think they are going to take a heavily defended city with over a million people in it in just a few days?

I'm not the one that needs to wake up here.

I wish you guys were right, but I think you are being over optimistic. This war is starting to get ugly as the Russian military are starting encircle these large population centers like Kyiv and Kharkiv, and are now raining down missiles, air strikes and artillery strikes into the heart of these cities.

There are reports now that the Russian military is moving towards the Polish border, to cut off supplies coming in from the west and stop people from leaving or entering Ukraine.

Putin was probably hoping the Ukrainians would crumble quickly, but now it is a matter of pride for Putin to bring home a win no matter what the cost. I think he is prepared to lord over a hole in the ground at this point.

Last edited:

sinnergy

I wish you guys were right, but I think you are being over optimistic. This war is starting to get ugly as the Russian military are starting encircle these large population centers like Kyiv and Kharkiv, and are now raining down missiles, air strikes and artillery strikes into the heart of these cities.

There are reports now that the Russian military is moving towards the Polish border, to cut off supplies coming in from the west and stop people from leaving or entering Ukraine.

Putin was probably hoping the Ukrainians would crumble quickly, but now it is a matter of pride for Putin to bring home a win no matter what the cost. I think he is prepared to lord over a hole in the ground at this point.
I think most are over estimating Russia and Putin , it looks like a I’ll conceived plan .. wich would have worked 60 years ago .. but the world has moved on and changed . You think Ukrainians have no pride ? He is now in Urban Warfare land .. and a digital age , we will strip him of all the digital stuff ..

Last edited:
Swedish PM to address the nation at 20:01.

I wonder what she has to say.

Will announce the sharing of your ultimate weapon

FMq8lElXIAIP0uv.jpg

But seriously, give us a transcript afterwards please!

Airbus Jr

Banned
Not a military expert but i want to say this

In the future NATO has to built new air to air fighter jets

The typhoon grippen f 35 and rafale are not enough to fight russian flankers for air superiority fights

Right now they can focus the ground to air missiles systems like patriot

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Gp1

Patrick S.

Banned
Fucking whoresons :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:

My colleagues from work and I looked through our wardrobes and put together a truckload of warm clothes that a friend of one of my colleagues is taking by car to Ukranian fugitives in Romania tomorrow, and we're doing a second round next week, at the latest. I hope the Russians can't block that....

Fuck man, this all feels like fiction to me... I'm 44 years old and grew up near Point Alpha in Germany, I remember the Cold War and being scared of Russians as a kid... now my son ist going through the same shit. It's nice to see how much of a fight Ukraine is putting up. And I'm really suprised, like most Germans, that our new leadership is speaking harsh truths about what's going on, sending weapons to Ukraine, supporting big sanctions, and is increasing military funding and will meet the 2% quota mandated by NATO. Finally the days of the fucking "Tiki-Taka" of Merkel and her CDU are over!

PS. Anyone remember this book?

1394548174.0.l.jpg

Last edited:

Spacefish

They have no plan
They have almost certainly been planning this thing for years if not over a decade. I think there were massive miscalculations on European unity and the severity of sanctions after getting away with Crimea. When you consider that the natural resources in eastern territories and a land bridge to Crimea are probably the main strategic goals their moves make some sense. I think it's wishful thinking to assume your enemy with a history of successful deceit has suddenly gone senile.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
They are leaving their supposed high tech, expensive weapons stuck/out of fuel left and right...

That first one was stuck in the mud. They don't have 6x6s?

RAÏSanÏa

It is not that simple. Putting NATO/EU/US troops on the ground in Ukraine signals a MAJOR escalation unheard of in the past 50 years.
All credit to the fortitude and patience of the Baltic forces watching this. The urge to bootfuck Belarus has got to be enormous being right there.
They have situational awareness and know it's not time yet. Stay frosty.

Last edited:

chromhound

Gold Member
these men are from separatist regions of Ukraine and all worked in schools.

They were told by the directors of the school or by phone call that they had to report to the military depots to do some service 3-5 days. Essentially, sit at outposts and let some cars through. They all thought they’d lose their jobs if they didn’t go. Regardless, they chose to fight.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Probarly take with a grain of salt (almost impossible to see what is propaganda/what isn't atm), but would explain some parts of this:

Last edited:

sinnergy

They have almost certainly been planning this thing for years if not over a decade. I think there were massive miscalculations on European unity and the severity of sanctions after getting away with Crimea. When you consider that the natural resources in eastern territories and a land bridge to Crimea are probably the main strategic goals their moves make some sense. I think it's wishful thinking to assume your enemy with a history of successful deceit has suddenly gone senile.
He sure look senile ..

Amidst all sanctions, the very weak tech-word sanctions is appalling. Neither google, facebook/meta or apple are banning russian users or even the media outlets worldwide. The outlets are only banned in UE and russians can still normally access all sites.

If they were banned from whatsapp/youtube/facebook/gmail the uproar would be immense, and public pressure from inside of Russia can be very effective in changing the course of the war.

I expected more support from tech world, but I guess user count is more important to them.

Common Russian folks are using those platforms to share protest and their disapproval of the war. Banning the entire territory of Russia from social platforms would make those innocent people lose important channels of communication.

EDIT: nevermind, they seem to currently still be up and running.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

There is no "win" anymore. Even if Russia takes Kyiv and all it's objectives it will just be a symbolic victory. Putin has turned Zelensky into a hero, has United the West, destroyed Russia's image, and completely destroyed the Russian economy. It will take at least a decade to even begin to recover from this clusterfuck.

Its like setting your house on fire and then doing a victory dance in your front yard because you finally killed the spider in the attic.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I think most are over estimating Russia and Putin , it looks like a I’ll conceived plan .. wich would have worked 60 years ago .. but the world has moved on and changed . You think Ukrainians have no pride ? He is now in Urban Warfare land .. and a digital age , we will strip him of all the digital stuff ..
Is it though? From a military standpoint, Russian troops are making substantial gains into Ukraine. War isn't some instant gradification event. It took the combined forces of Germany and Russia five weeks to take over Poland at the begining of WWII. We are only a week into Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Forsete

Here are my short cliff notes from the Swedish PMs speech.

• More resources to the military (total defence)
  • Prices are going up, will affect people.
  • Swedish companies will be affected by this conflict.
  • People should stay informed and not spread disinformation
  • Do not spread information on military activity

Last edited:

sinnergy

Is it though? From a military standpoint, Russian troops are making substantial gains into Ukraine. War isn't some instant gradification event. It took the combined forces of Germany and Russia five weeks to take over Poland at the begining of WWII. We are only a week into Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
There are numerous war experts they tell it looks badly organized.. and it already is taking to long ..

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

:messenger_hushed: Makes me wander if Russia actually have an 800 thousand standing professional army.
It's a good question.
It has been pointed out that the better part of the army could be being held back for different purposes such as further objectives or if NATO attacks.

Last edited:

sinnergy

It's a good question.
It has been pointed out that the better part of the army is being held back for different purposes such as further objectives or if NATO attacks.
Wishful thinking.. it’s just this .. an old ass army . NATO will never attack unless he attacks a NATO country .. and I’ll bed we could destroy him pretty quickly . It looks like Russia should have kept it all a secret in being a army super power .. so that it could be a legend .. we now see the real Russia .

Apart from having old ass nukes it looks like a shitty army .

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's a good question.
It has been pointed out that the better part of the army is being held back for different purposes such as further objectives or if NATO attacks.

I still don't understand that last bit... NATO has been around quite awhile and it's been very obvious that it's just a self defense pact.

RAÏSanÏa

Wishful thinking.. it’s just this .. an old ass army . NATO will never attack unless he attacks a NATO country .. and I’ll bed we could destroy him pretty quickly . It looks like Russia should have kept it all a secret in being a army super power .. so that it could be a legend .. we now see the real Russia .
Indeed. NATO has more sense than to attack.
My post was to offer some speculation as to the Russian motivation(however misplaced and paranoid) holding their own forces back.

I still don't understand that last bit... NATO has been around quite awhile and it's been very obvious that it's just a self defense pact.
Exactly. My thought is Russian tactics may be considering their actions in Ukraine, and maybe along other fronts, will draw NATO nations out from the horror of Russian war crimes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom