• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc2049

There is no "win" anymore. Even if Russia takes Kyiv and all it's objectives it will just be a symbolic victory. Putin has turned Zelensky into a hero, has United the West, destroyed Russia's image, and completely destroyed the Russian economy. It will take at least a decade to even begin to recover from this clusterfuck.

Its like setting your house on fire and then doing a victory dance in your front yard because you finally killed the spider in the attic.
Like I said, at this point, I don't think Putin gives a f! $k. The beginning of intense bombing of large cities in Ukraine shows me that he is willing to lord over a bombed out husk of a country.

Go_Ly_Dow

I hope its true China will try and broker a ceasefire. Perhaps they didn't bank on the west unifying so solidly around this. Europe arming up, as is the US, Canada and Aus. More countries looking to join Nato, such as Finland. Talks of Japan having nukes again. Other powers such as Turkey look close to aligning with us on this issue too.

China wants to control and take advantage of a disjointed world and so I can't help but think they're alarmed by our collective response.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A little light humor :pie_roffles:

274979757_5599631660053616_7954178506577822309_n.jpg

Mokus

I still don't understand that last bit... NATO has been around quite awhile and it's been very obvious that it's just a self defense pact.
The Ukraine joining NATO it is just bs pretext to justify why they have to act. It's only about a sick dictator who is dreaming for a new Russian Empire.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
everyone assumed they had a good army ..
I disagree with that. Their one and only functional aircraft carrier blows so much smoke out of its exhaust that it's visible from space.
CxFk-ubXEAE9Pwc.jpg

Spetsnaz soldiers buy aftermarket US gear because the Russian equivalent is junk.

Russia has liked to pretend that they're still a big dog, but they have been poor since the fall of the Soviet Union. Everyone knows their equipment has been getting further and further out of date, but that they have enough bodies to throw at a war (and likely the willingness to throw many, many bodies in) that war with them would be very destructive.

Fools idol

Banned
I simply can not believe or stomach the EU countries and the Uk above all of them is not stepping in to help beyond sanctions and weapons.

My grandparents didn't fight in WW2 for this fucking cyka to walk in Hitlers shoes

Fess

well supposedly they removed apple pay etc from being used for their metro so its happening.
Gooood 👌

Unfortunately I still don’t think anything can stop the invasion to unfold, they have too much heavy stuff rolling in now. One thing is clear though, Russia will live in a bubble going forward. Have fun with that I guess.

RAÏSanÏa

I simply can not believe or stomach the EU countries and the Uk above all of them is not stepping in to help beyond sanctions and weapons.

My grandparents didn't fight in WW2 for this fucking cyka to walk in Hitlers shoes
That's the kind of thinking that I was suggesting Russian strategy is counting on from NATO nations in my previous post.

Last edited:

sinnergy

My grandfather was a English WW2 veteran .. peace is earned .. he told me all kinds of stories , unless you have people willing to fight for this .. we are lost . If we get a WW I’ll do everything to secure peace for my son and his generation. It’s a heavy toll to fight, and loss your comrades , my grandfather wasn’t always pleasant .. war fucks you up. But dictators can never win..

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Wait so either putin sent in shit machines and newer spillers to simply act as cannon fodder or Russia doesn’t have modern tech ?
Russia does not have modern tech. China is way ahead. Western Europe is way ahead. The US is lightyears ahead. Hell, Mexico modernized their military 15 years ago, they might very well have better tech than Russia. What Russia has is a lot of stuff left over from the cold war and a willingness to throw many lives away.

Edit: I should clarify that this is not to say that Russia has no modern tech, they certainly have been researching stuff and probably building little bits of new things here and there, but they do not have large amounts of anything new. Let's take tanks for instance. Russia can't afford dozens or hundreds of new tanks. But they can upgrade bits and pieces and individual parts of the tanks they have left over from the 80s. So new guns on a few, new shells for a few, new armor for a few, new sighting for a few, etc.

Last edited:

Forsete

Would it be possible for the UK to seize RU property in say London?

Tasty oligarch property such as expensive apartments, cars, aeroplanes even football teams?
They should belong to the crown now, or be sold to fund the UA war effort.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Movement of Russian forces. Clearly they are trying to surround the city.

Question remains. Are they going to wait and let them starve or will they launch a full on attack?
These Russians are already starving for food and fuel, they'll have to attack(if they make it that far) or walk home.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
According to the NYT, Russian Soldiers are sabotaging their own equipment so that they don't have to fight.

I don't blame them. Undersuplied, unprepared, poorly led, and most have probably heard by now that their paycheck is now worth less than their helmets. Told to find a war against a very obstinate and armed country full of people that look just like them and in many cases speak their language.

I wouldn't want to fight either. Death isn't worth any of this.

Hari Seldon

I wonder if these same companies, big tech, banks, asset seizures, and countries will hold the same energy if/when China invades Taiwan?

A discussion for another day, but something tells me not so much.
They are "pulling out" but not voluntarily, they can't get paid if all the banks are offline haha.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Holy shit my wife's aunt living Moscow Russia just sent us a recording of Russian popular news TV, and I'm almost speechless. On Russian news they show video of the Russian carpet bombing of Kharkiv and say it's Ukrainian Nazis and fascists bombing their own city! Wtf, and now there's a wedge between my wife and her family in Russia and they are basically supporting the "liberation" of Ukraine. No use in trying to explain the facts, it's like talking to a wall.. How the fuck do they believe this obviously fake shit. It's weirder than fiction. Utterly absurd.

Last edited:

speckz

Nord Stream 2, the company behind the controversial pipeline that was halted amid Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, has officially filed for bankruptcy

Speaking to SRF on Tuesday evening, the economic director for the canton of Zug, where Nord Stream is based, said the cantonal authorities have been informed today that the business was unable to continue its operations.

“The head of the office for economic affairs and labour was on site today and was informed in detail about the situation,” said Silvia Thalmann-Gut.

Nord Stream 2 did not immediately respond to inquiries. Numbers listed for its press spokespeople in Switzerland were disconnected.

Around 106 employees — the company’s entire local workforce — have already formally received termination notices, Thalmann-Gut said, citing an imminent deadline of US sanctions against the company as the cause of its collapse today.

Last edited:
Holy shit my wife's aunt living Moscow Russia just sent us a recording of Russian popular news TV, and I'm almost speechless. On Russian news they show video of the Russian carpet bombing of Kharkiv and say it's Ukrainian Nazis and fascists bombing their own city! Wtf, and now there's a wedge between my wife and her family in Russia and they are basically supporting the "liberation" of Ukraine. How the fuck do they believe this obviously fake shit. It's weirder than fiction. Utterly absurd.
That's insane but also not surprising. I'm sure they will want to brainwash as many as possible but that's just crazy.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
They are "pulling out" but not voluntarily, they can't get paid if all the banks are offline haha.
And even if they could get paid the Ruble is basically worthless now and Russia has self imposed a ban on the export of foreign currency. And then even if they lifted the ban they can't get to their financial assets anyway.

I don't think Putin ever imagined the backlash would be this bad and be this united. No one is holding back. Not even fucking Switzerland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom