• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnergy

Holy shit my wife's aunt living Moscow Russia just sent us a recording of Russian popular news TV, and I'm almost speechless. On Russian news they show video of the Russian carpet bombing of Kharkiv and say it's Ukrainian Nazis and fascists bombing their own city! Wtf, and now there's a wedge between my wife and her family in Russia and they are basically supporting the "liberation" of Ukraine. No use in trying to explain the facts, it's like talking to a wall.. How the fuck do they believe this obviously fake shit. It's weirder than fiction. Utterly absurd.
Propaganda at work 😜 that’s how Hittler managed it all ..

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Of course. How else would you validate yourself.

Certainly not by identifying the experts for your posts.

You won't be interested because you don't want to hear anything that contradicts the narrative you're feeling safe with. I don't want to burst your little bubble.

On top of that most of my sources are non-English because people in UK or US have no fucking clue about geo-politics of Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
You won't be interested because you don't want to hear anything that contradicts the narrative you're feeling safe with. I don't want to burst your little bubble.

On top of that most of my sources are non-English because people in UK or US have no fucking clue about geo-politics on Eastern Europe.

what a cop out, also translators exist…you would do well to educate us all if you can

RAÏSanÏa

On top of that most of my sources are non-English because people in UK or US have no fucking clue about geo-politics of Eastern Europe.
Oh, propaganda. Not even social media.

Maybe it is high time to rethink the dependency of China as well... :pie_thinking:

Wasn't the whole point of giving them our manufacturing to make us so interconnected everything would have to be resolved diplomatically without interruptions in trade? It's actually quite comical.

"Hey errybody, lets give our jobs to China to welcome them into the global community to make sure they have enough stake in this system."

A few decades later and they have your jobs and don't care about what you gave them. Maybe its actually bad for us to give other nations leverage over us. In any relationship, the one most willing to end it has the most power.

Mokus

Holy shit my wife's aunt living Moscow Russia just sent us a recording of Russian popular news TV, and I'm almost speechless. On Russian news they show video of the Russian carpet bombing of Kharkiv and say it's Ukrainian Nazis and fascists bombing their own city! Wtf, and now there's a wedge between my wife and her family in Russia and they are basically supporting the "liberation" of Ukraine. No use in trying to explain the facts, it's like talking to a wall.. How the fuck do they believe this obviously fake shit. It's weirder than fiction. Utterly absurd.
Typical old Soviet disinformation.

There are some seriously striking similarities to that of early Nazi-Germany with the modern day Russian goverment. It's kinda shocking how unnoticed its gone for so long.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

European Union ambassadors agreed to exclude seven Russian banks from the SWIFT financial-messaging system but spared the nation’s biggest lender Sberbank PJSC and a bank part-owned by Russian gas giant Gazprom PJSC.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

----------

putin wants to denazify ukraine, bombs holocaust graves

Last edited:

Forsete

Wasn't the whole point of giving them our manufacturing to make us so interconnected everything would have to be resolved diplomatically without interruptions in trade? It's actually quite comical.

"Hey errybody, lets give our jobs to China to welcome them into the global community to make sure they have enough stake in this system."

A few decades later and they have your jobs and don't care about what you gave them. Maybe its actually bad for us to give other nations leverage over us. In any relationship, the one most willing to end it has the most power.
Yeah, the people in command should have seen this coming a long time ago. Probably blinded by the $$$$$.

The EU itself didnt even fucking work at the beginning of COVID. Some nations confiscating equipment which was being sent to other nations.
When the shit hits the fan you have no real friends it seems.

Last edited:

chromhound

Gold Member
i wouldn't be surprised

Most of Russians believe in Putin's narrative of a Nazi government.
All civilian people of Kiev should gather and stand weaponless in front of the Russian army to show them that they are free people. I'm sure that they would stop attacking and go back to beat Putin up.

Last edited:

Spoke to ex uk forces guy yesterday. He said this is typical Russian tactics, throw the shit and conscripts in first to absorb and exhaust the anti tank ammo etc before rolling in the well trained and equipt troops.

I asked what the goals are likely to be and he said seizing a "horse shoe" in ukraine at least, so they have the ports (particularly sea ports).

Also having dealt with Russians, he gave examples I wont go into, but they do not care about the welfare of their troops. vast casualties are nothing to them.

European Union ambassadors agreed to exclude seven Russian banks from the SWIFT financial-messaging system but spared the nation’s biggest lender Sberbank PJSC and a bank part-owned by Russian gas giant Gazprom PJSC.

But you feel better don't you? I keep getting assured that all is well and NATO has never been better and that Ukraine will be fine and statues will be erected!

The reality is much darker and cynical though. Russian force balance is such that they will inevitably win and Kyiv will be destroyed. What needs to happen is this conflict needs to be turned off as soon as possible and an off-ramp to Putin that allows him to save face and maintain the Minsk I/II protocol outlines has to be offered by Ukraine. People here are kidding themselves.

Rossco EZ

This seems obvious at this point. If this enormous convoy has continued interrupted... and it appears they have... this is all over.
that’s why i’m posting it, i’m glad the ukraine is showing resistance and they are doing well with what they have, really well.. but this is coming and will get there in the next 24 hours they said. some people in the thread seem adamant that they will be able to hold this off and talk like it’s already done and dusted. i wouldn’t be so sure because we do not know what they will do. i’m also not saying that it will be easy for the russians or that they will win but it’s coming and it’s gonna be very bad.. & not saying they are going to flatten the city but who knows. even if they roll in with tanks it’s gonna be chaos. we can all joke about the stuff that’s been breaking down and the shit they have been using but this is gonna get really bad once that convoy gets there and as the guy says, will they wait and say “we can destroy you, come and talk” or will they just move in? all whilst more stuff could be being sent and don’t forget they might secure the airport close by too (i imagine they will).

Last edited:
It's also poorly supplied and keep running out of fuel.

You realize the Russians early setbacks are just that. They are adapting strategies and learning. They will resupply and get their logistics sorted out. It's inevitable given the force balance. Barring NATO involvement, there is nothing that can stop them.

The US 2003 kinetic war in Iraq, which was a stunning success on a much smaller nation-state that was much less prepared, lasted 26 days. We're 7 days in.

See my last post for the only rational option.

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Maybe it is high time to rethink the dependency of China as well... :pie_thinking:
unfortunately, China commands a much larger population which means more $$$ lost for businesses......soooooo i dont think it would be as severe as a response.

that said, China is most certainly using this as a learning experience to better inform how they can survive the western response while limiting the bloodshed during the takeover of taiwan.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

This is what most of the internet doesn’t seem to get. Up until now Russia had no appetite to kill Ukrainian civilians. They wanted precision tactics to topple the leadership. That’s all out the window now. Putin doesn’t want to look like a loser. Russia doesn’t want to lose a war like this. They’ll carpet bomb, heavy artillery, disregarding civilians altogether if necessary. Think Iraq invasion all over again.

When was the last time anyone saw a 40 mile long military convoy? Think about this.

Last edited:

Liljagare

It's also poorly supplied and keep running out of fuel.

Doesn't seem that smart to take a road surrounded on all sides by marshes and bogs either.

Soldiers still need to do number 1 and number 2, you going to stop the entire convoy for that, or are the crews shitting in their vehicles? This convoy has been on the move for two days now.

I wish that the Ukrainans hade a few more drones, to hit a few vehicles in that convoy, the entire progression would grind to a halt.

nemiroff

Gold Member
there's a video of an old couple both shoot to death in their car :(
Yeah.. My wife's mom lives in a town in the South occupied by the Russians and two days ago a guy in his 60s was riding his bike home and the Russians just shot him dead, didn't even bother to pick him up. She says the Russians sometimes shot at cars at random no matter of there was kids in it. She works in the hospital, assisting surgeries. So she's basically sits in a shelter at night and then in the day she's treating "the same Russians that shot at her". Lots of wounded and dying Russian soldiers treated in her hospital she says. Too many young boys just in their late teens. Anyway there's basically no more food or medicines. Here the other day she and her neighbor were lucky and found some macaroni to eat.. I have noe idea how they still are able to connect to the outside world, I bet all lines go dark soon.. My wife is already feeling sick, I can imagine how dead she'll look once the "is she still alive" kind of worry sets in..

I'm rambling.. But fuck me..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom