• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The longer this goes on the more worried I become that the West will just stand by and let Putin do whatever the hell he wants.

Someone needs to slap Putin around a bit. But that could mean all out war involving multiple countries and that's a bad scenario too.
Keep in mind we get more news more quickly now than we used to. You used to get only up to three updates a day, maybe four if you read a newspaper. Now you can browse all day and get constant updates, so it feels like this has been going on longer than it really has as an observer. It's been less than a week, western countries are working behind the scenes to come up with a unified strategy. Could that end being to do nothing? Maybe, I would not bet on that.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The longer this goes on the more worried I become that the West will just stand by and let Putin do whatever the hell he wants.

Someone needs to slap Putin around a bit. But that could mean all out war involving multiple countries and that's a bad scenario too.
There is a line. And that line is NATO territory. But anything up to that line is going to happen without direct interference.

The only exception being next level atrocities, but Putin seems to want the country and it's people intact so that is extremely unlikely.

base

Banned
Meanwhile at the border.

khTYar3.jpg

Turkmenistan citizen attacked the meds helping him. He tried to kick them, beat them and bite them.
One person lost his finger. The guy is hiding and currently being tracked down by the police.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was in Cancun in 2018. Soldiers everywhere, police with machine guns, protecting us, the tourists from Europe and the US.
In modern day I'm not surprised.

I drive to Buffalo NY to watch Sabres games every year and outside of the arena you got Army guys with assault rifles in tan camo gear and those humvee jeep vehicles at each corner of the arena as people check in at game time.

You'd think we were all heading to the front lines of a war.

I was in Cancun in 2018. Soldiers everywhere, police with machine guns, protecting us, the tourists from Europe and the US.
I lived for sometime in Mexico. I can tell you that the real person life isn’t like that. It is just like any other place. Of course, the crime rates are higher if compared to Europe but to be honest it is a fairly OK place to live. I think that other Latin American countries such as Chile and Argentina are even better when it comes to living standard (not sure though, never been there). The main thing is that it is much better to be a poor person in Europe or the US due to the better currency and gov services like health care.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. It would appear that one of two things is true. Either Russia is a paper tiger or they are holding a lot of air power back for whatever reason. I don’t see how they can be having this much of an issue establishing full air superiority unless their Air Force is significantly weaker than advertised. Either way, that has been surprising.

They also seem extremely disorganized. That’s a bit less surprising considering this is a larger operation than they have embarked on in the past.

Keep in mind we get more news more quickly now than we used to. You used to get only up to three updates a day, maybe four if you read a newspaper. Now you can browse all day and get constant updates, so it feels like this has been going on longer than it really has as an observer. It's been less than a week, western countries are working behind the scenes to come up with a unified strategy. Could that end being to do nothing? Maybe, I would not bet on that.
There is a line. And that line is NATO territory. But anything up to that line is going to happen without direct interference.

The only exception being next level atrocities, but Putin seems to want the country and it's people intact so that is extremely unlikely.
NATO isn't coming to save Ukraine unless Russia starts carpet bombing major cities with the FOAB.

Appreciate the responses gents. It is wholly depressing to see Ukraine going it alone. I hope a peaceful diplomatic solution can be found soon before more lives are lost.
And we still have fucking covid going around.

God help us.

base

Banned
Yeah, Belarus was storming our borders with people they brought to Minsk since begging of this year. Now they just dumped them to Ukraine and they can walk into EU territory without issue, we should give those "students" direction to Germany where they want to be.
Watch CNN. According to them we are all racists now.

Fluo

Holy shit my wife's aunt living Moscow Russia just sent us a recording of Russian popular news TV, and I'm almost speechless. On Russian news they show video of the Russian carpet bombing of Kharkiv and say it's Ukrainian Nazis and fascists bombing their own city! Wtf, and now there's a wedge between my wife and her family in Russia and they are basically supporting the "liberation" of Ukraine. No use in trying to explain the facts, it's like talking to a wall.. How the fuck do they believe this obviously fake shit. It's weirder than fiction. Utterly absurd.
The most disheartening thing for me is just how vile the stuff they come up with and how people just eat it up. It's sickening.

I'd say that being a Russian explains alcohol abuse in that country.
You do realize Poland and pretty much all Europe is on par with Russia in alcohol consumption?

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
In modern day I'm not surprised.

I drive to Buffalo NY to watch Sabres games every year and outside of the arena you got Army guys with assault rifles in tan camo gear and those humvee jeep vehicles at each corner of the arena as people check in at game time.

You'd think we were all heading to the front lines of a war.
They’re just twitchy about Toronto inevitability taking the Bills…

Amiga

If you don't mind me asking, how are they prepared, because the EU think the new set of sanctions have Russia by the balls.
That is just what the EU is telling their public. Noticed bankers pushing hard and fast for those. there is something else going on here. war is opportunity. behind the scenes the West is still working with Russia in international organizations. the conflict is relatively compartmentalized.

sanctions hurt but don't stop war capabilities. So far Russia almost locked down the sea of Azov. If there is no settlement they could just go all the way to Odessa and beyond and leave west Ukraine landlocked. that would be worth several times the sanctions. the loot is worth more than the fine.

Chaplain

Worth a watch.

This week we are being inundated with information about what is going on in Ukraine. And the challenge just to get above the noise and find out what exactly is going on and where it might go next. To dig into some of these questions, Freddie Sayers sat down with Dr. Andreas Umland, an analyst for the Stockholm Centre for Eastern European studies and expert in contemporary Russian and Ukrainian politics.

00:00 - 01:14 - Introduction
01:14 - 04:10 - How confident should we be in reports of Ukrainian successes and Russian failures in the Ukraine-Russia war?
04:10 - 06:50 - Why has Russia apparently been more cautious in the early stages of the war?
06:50 - 09:38 - Analysing the map of the Russian advance into Ukraine
09:38 - 11:01 - Can we trust the casualty numbers?
11:01 - 14:39 - Are there Nazis in Ukraine?
14:39 - 17:14 - The Western response to Ukraine
17:14 - 19:12 - Is this the beginning of the re-militarisation of Germany?
19:12 - 23:02 - Will European powers get drawn into a full-blown war with Russia?
23:02 - 27:21 - What could the endgame look like?
27:21 - 28:16 - Concluding thoughts

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
unless their Air Force is significantly weaker than advertised.
Have they bought new jets since the 1980s? They didn't have anything to compete with the F-22 for instance back then, and I don't know of any new Russian aircraft. (I will add that I'm not a plane guy though.) Development of new aircraft is expensive, then buying the actual vehicles is expensive. And maintenance is expensive too, I wouldn't be surprised if they have lots of 30 and 40 year old planes and a bunch of them are no longer fit for combat. Between holding a reserve and an aging fleet, they may very well be at the limit of what they can use for the time being.

Nobody_Important

That is just what the EU is telling their public. Noticed bankers pushing hard and fast for those. there is something else going on here. war is opportunity. behind the scenes the West is still working with Russia in international organizations. the conflict is relatively compartmentalized.

sanctions hurt but don't stop war capabilities. So far Russia almost locked down the sea of Azov. If there is no settlement they could just go all the way to Odessa and beyond and leave west Ukraine landlocked. that would be worth several times the sanctions. the loot is worth more than the fine.
You are living in fantasy land. The Russian economy is in shambles. Businesses pulling out left and right. The largest and most influential companies in the world are ceasing all sales and shipments to the country. The world's most traveled airspaces are now cut off for Russian aircraft. The Ruble is basically worthless. Its so bad that the Russians refuse to open their markets because they know it will crash when they do. They have destroyed their image on the world stage both economically and militarily. Russia is not going to be recovering from this catastrophe for years.

There are no gains they make from Ukraine that make any of this worth it unless they find a literal gold mine underneath Ukraine.

Yea, if Ukraine doesn't surrender quick then Russia might be bold to claim whole of coastline in future negotiations by capturing Odessa and that would include all of oil and gas deposits. Wonder if that was the plan from the very start and Kyiv just a distraction to split forces.

you can see at 15 min here:

FunkMiller

You are living in fantasy land. The Russian economy is in shambles. Businesses pulling out left and right. The largest and most influential companies in the world are ceasing all sales and shipments to the country. The world's most traveled airspaces are now cut off for Russian aircraft. The Ruble is basically worthless. Its so bad that the Russians refuse to open their markets because they know it will crash when they do. They have destroyed their image on the world stage both economically and militarily. Russia is not going to be recovering from this catastrophe for years.

There are no gains they make from Ukraine that make any of this worth it unless they find a literal gold mine underneath Ukraine.

Feels like some people are having a lot of trouble letting go of their image of Putin as being a strong, capable leader.

He’s clearly not. He’s a weak coward. A man with all the strategic ability of a pile of horseshit. A weak, pathetic little man, who was too dumb to see what would happen. Without a pile of aging nuclear weapons sat in rusting Russian silos, he’d have been turned into a smear on the concrete a long time ago.

How sad do you have to be to be continually defending or bigging up the little turd? Or beliving that this war is going anything other than terribly for him? 😂

Last edited:

Sakura

Have they bought new jets since the 1980s? They didn't have anything to compete with the F-22 for instance back then, and I don't know of any new Russian aircraft. (I will add that I'm not a plane guy though.) Development of new aircraft is expensive, then buying the actual vehicles is expensive. And maintenance is expensive too, I wouldn't be surprised if they have lots of 30 and 40 year old planes and a bunch of them are no longer fit for combat. Between holding a reserve and an aging fleet, they may very well be at the limit of what they can use for the time being.
Yeah they have this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-57 which entered into service at the end of 2020. They don't have many of them built yet though, and were modernizing older aircraft until it's introduction.

akimbo009

Gold Member

"Leave the West a landlocked Ukraine"... You know the only people getting this shaft in all this is Russia itself. They aren't gaining a "Ukraine shoreline". They are getting a dead end society and economy that no one will do business with and a busted military trapped in an insurrection quagmire.

These fucking people blowing up towns with helicopters. Fuck Putin.

Nobody_Important

Feels like some people are having a lot of trouble letting go of their image of Putin as being a strong, capable leader.

He’s clearly not. He’s a weak coward. A man with all the strategic ability of a pile of horseshit. A weak, pathetic little man, who was too dumb to see what would happen. Without a pile of aging nuclear weapons sat in rusting Russian silos, he’d have been turned into a smear on the concrete a long time ago.

How sad do you have to be to be continually defending or bigging up the little turd? Or beliving that this war is going anything other than terribly for him? 😂
"No guys for REAL. The Russians will take Kyiv TODAY. There is some super secret plan! Putin isn't this dumb! Just you wait!"

Turns out Russia is just the biggest paper tiger in modern history and Putin is just a few crayons short of a full box at this point.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Yea, if Ukraine doesn't surrender quick then Russia might be bold to claim whole of coastline in future negotiations by capturing Odessa and that would include all of oil and gas deposits. Wonder if that was the plan from the very start and Kyiv just a distraction to split forces.

you can see at 15 min here:

So clever. Smash my economy and fuck me up geopoitically so I can negotiate over some beaches. Best plan. Such smart.

Reactions: Gp1
Not to take away from the seriousness, but I couldn't help but hear this song playing,
seeing all this economic consequence come about on ol' Vladimir seemingly endlessly, after he was so boisterous in claiming "Our economy can survive without all this!" earlier today

Amiga

Apple and Google are not necessary.
Even with the fast shock of big sanctions the Ruble is at a resistance point to further falls. the Turkish lira had a bigger fall past few months and their government is going on like nothing happened. Europe needs the locked airspace more than Russia, so the sanction here hurts them more. Russian image is unchanged in the world stage because this is the same Russia the world knows already. several regions in the world have their own trouble, some that is that is worse than Ukraine so they don't have the energy to care.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Even with the fast shock of big sanctions the Ruble is at a resistance point to further falls. the Turkish lira had a bigger fall past few months and their government is going on like nothing happened. Europe needs the locked airspace more than Russia, so the sanction here hurts them more. Russian image is unchanged in the world stage because this is the same Russia the world knows already. several regions in the world have their own trouble, some that is that is worse than Ukraine so they don't have the energy to care.

Sure, Jan.

Nobody_Important

Like I said. Fantasyland lol

I feel sad for ukrainians and this might be not the place for thoughts like this, but I'll be quick.

I feel like Putin won a chess games vs the west. Germany needs russian gas now more than they need deutsche euro after the deal with china, so they will be desperate to renegotiate the deal that favors russia more than the previous one as soon as this tragedy [forced invasion] ends. And on the image you're spot on. Russia and it's people were portrayed as baddies for decades without any reason whatsoever , maybe it's because they were threatened by Russias dominance during cold war, but it never stopped even after it's collapse. It always seemed so bizzare for an outsider like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom