• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Confirmed reports from the Ukraine airforce that a large convoy of around 800 military vehicles including tanks near Bashtanka has been completely flattened.

Putin is taking heavy losses considering he thought this would be over quickly.
There is no way to send a convoy of tanks in 21 century since of course it will be detected and can be blocked or bombed in many ways. They must’ve knew that.

pramod

Banned
Kherson has fallen. Will Kyiv be next?

Also, as for the "abandoned" Russian vehicles everyone is talking about, maybe at this point Russia just doesn't care?
I mean, if they're going to take over the whole place eventually, they can always get those vehicles back later.

Last edited:

Sakura

Also, as for the "abandoned" Russian vehicles everyone is talking about, maybe at this point Russia just doesn't care?
I mean, if they're going to take over the whole place eventually, they can always get those vehicles back later.
I think Mariupol will be next. It will still take some time for Kyiv to be encircled.

Whitecrow

Banned
You are foolish if you think that. If Russia nukes Ukraine in the course of an unprovoked invasion, other countries will absolutely invade Russia.
I doubt it too. Ukraine is not NATO.
Either Rusia attacks NATO directly, or they wont engage in the war.

If we reach NATO vs Rusia scenario, mutual destruction is almost a given.

Looks like Puting may not give an f about that, but sure the rest of the world does.

Nobody really knows where the line of an all in nuke war is.

I think the west is too afraid of civilian casualties that they will wait to the very last moment to engage.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Kiev is impossible to be taken without massive shelling basically leveling the city or Ukraine's surrender. This has been the case since WW2, you either do tank battles in the open or you bomb the shit out of a city, then take it.

Cyberpunkd

I doubt it too. Ukraine is not NATO.
Either Rusia attacks NATO directly, or they wont engage in the war.

If we reach NATO vs Rusia scenario, mutual destruction is almost a given.

Looks like Puting may not give an f about that, but sure the rest of the world does.

Nobody really knows where the line of an all in nuke war is.
And that is why economic sanctions bankrupting Russia are the way forward.

1. Give arms to the Ukrainians so they hold as much as possible
2. Destroy Russian economy
3. ?????
4. ?????????????????????
5. Russia goes back home

pramod

Banned

1. Give arms to the Ukrainians so they hold as much as possible
2. Destroy Russian economy
3. ?????
4. ?????????????????????
5. Russia goes back home
I hope I'm not sounding like a Russian propagandist, but I think people are overestimating how much effect these sanctions actually will have.

Just seems to me that Russia was already in a pretty bad spot. It was never a great or prosperous place. I think Russians are probably used to economic hardship by now.
In fact, when I think of the hardships they had to endure in the early 20th century, what's happening now is probably nothing compared to that.

These are people who fought and won at Stalingrad. They are tough mofos. I mean I hate to fall into stereotypes but I really think there is a huge difference between the average Russian and someone who grew up in the West, who would probably surrender if the enemy took away their iPhones.

Last edited:
With all the gear being sent to Ukraine by nato and other countries, it is clear to me that Putin was all bluff. Normally all that aid to a country you are at war with should be cause for de declaring war to them too, but Putin hasn't done that yet, only some lame 'put nuclear defenses on high alert'.

He's done for, let us hope his last act before he is kicked the bucket isn' to just blindly nuke some countries.

pramod

Banned
With all the gear being sent to Ukraine by nato and other countries, it is clear to me that Putin was all bluff. Normally all that aid to a country you are at war with should be cause for de declaring war to them too, but Putin hasn't done that yet, only some lame 'put nuclear defenses on high alert'.

He's done for, let us hope his last act before he is kicked the bucket isn' to just blindly nuke some countries.
Or maybe they looked at all the "gear" that's being sent and realized it's not going to make much of a difference at all?

Also I don't understand how is it possible to get all this gear to Ukraine at this point? When the skies are full of Russian jets and the entire country is surrounded?

Last edited:

Mokus

Actually there are contradictory information about Kherson. Ukrainians are saying it's only surrounded.

The most disheartening thing for me is just how vile the stuff they come up with and how people just eat it up. It's sickening.

You do realize Poland and pretty much all Europe is on par with Russia in alcohol consumption?
I'm going to get romantic for a moment here, but I hope somewhere in Russia somebody, or someone, is organizing something. Putin is pushing and pushing his populace to a point where something is bound to give even under his surpressive regime. Maybe not today, tomorrow or this week. However, its a potential opening where the common Russian people could fight back with a second wind.

The more I read about modern day Russia, the more it looks like the entire political system has borderline regressed to the age of absolutism.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Maersk stopping all shipping to Russia is pretty massive, they do 31% of all shipping to Russian ports. That is huge.

Even if Russia "wins", they are seriously fucked for a good long time now.

That is pretty major. It feels like half of all of the goods that come into our local port has a Maersk logo on it. I'd imagine such a move would cripple the local supply chains of many places, let alone an entire country.

Tumle

That is pretty major. It feels like half of all of the goods that come into our local port has a Maersk logo on it. I'd imagine such a move would cripple the local supply chains of many places, let alone an entire country.
its a Danish shipping company and i think its the 3rd largest in the world.
they have said they they will stop all transport except humanitarian aid, to Russia.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Maersk stopping all shipping to Russia is pretty massive, they do 31% of all shipping to Russian ports. That is huge.

Even if Russia "wins", they are seriously fucked for a good long time now.

* temporarily suspended
** except food, medical & humanitarian supplies

Still, good move.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I saw on BBC live report that some Ukrainians are asking NATO to go further and put in a no fly zone. I'm really conflicted about this move. In one way, I understand why the people living in Ukraine want to see this. They're currently going through hell and are under constant bombardment.

On the other hand, that just pulls NATO into a war with Russia and I assume the whole CSTO.

Does anybody think NATO will pull the no fly zone trigger?

Go_Ly_Dow

Ukraine claims it's killed 5,840 Russian troops​

Ukraine is claiming it has killed 5,840 Russian troops.
Its armed forces say the preliminary figures represent all losses inflicted on Russian forces since the beginning of the invasion.
The BBC cannot independently verify these claims, but the UK defence ministry believes that Moscow's forces have suffered heavy losses during its invasion of Ukraine.
The total Russian losses being claimed by Ukraine so far include:
  • 5,840 troops
  • 30 aircraft
  • 31 helicopters
  • Up to 211 tanks
  • 862 armoured patrol vehicles (APVs)
  • 85 artillery systems
  • 9 anti-aircraft systems
  • 60 fuel tanks
  • 355 vehicles
  • 40 MLRS rocket launchers (captured)

Sakura

I saw on BBC live report that some Ukrainians are asking NATO to go further and put in a no fly zone. I'm really conflicted about this move. In one way, I understand why the people living in Ukraine want to see this. They're currently going through hell and are under constant bombardment.

On the other hand, that just pulls NATO into a war with Russia and I assume the whole CSTO.

No fly zone means war with Russia so no chance in hell.

Forsete

Confirmed reports from the Ukraine airforce that a large convoy of around 800 military vehicles including tanks near Bashtanka has been completely flattened.

Putin is taking heavy losses considering he thought this would be over quickly.
Sounds incredible. Any good sources on this?

NoviDon

So basically what is happening in Kherson is what happened in Kharkiv. They've advanced into the center of town but there is still a fight and they haven't gained full control of the city yet. I wonder if the UA forces down there can initiate a counterattack and take the whole place back like Kharkiv.

Loope

I feel sad for ukrainians and this might be not the place for thoughts like this, but I'll be quick.

I feel like Putin won a chess games vs the west. Germany needs russian gas now more than they need deutsche euro after the deal with china, so they will be desperate to renegotiate the deal that favors russia more than the previous one as soon as this tragedy [forced invasion] ends. And on the image you're spot on. Russia and it's people were portrayed as baddies for decades without any reason whatsoever , maybe it's because they were threatened by Russias dominance during cold war, but it never stopped even after it's collapse. It always seemed so bizzare for an outsider like me.
confused will ferrell GIF

Rossco EZ

no, because as boris said yesterday that would involve them shooting down russian jets or aircraft. which drags them into a war, he said that’s completely off the table.

Wildebeest

He can't even admit to the people at home that there is any real resistance in Ukraine.

Cyberpunkd

Germany needs russian gas now more than they need deutsche euro after the deal with china, so they will be desperate to renegotiate the deal that favors russia more than the previous one as soon as this tragedy [forced invasion] ends. And on the image you're spot on. Russia and it's people were portrayed as baddies for decades without any reason whatsoever , maybe it's because they were threatened by Russias dominance during cold war, but it never stopped even after it's collapse. It always seemed so bizzare for an outsider like me.
About Germany - watch them keeping those nuclear reactors operational

About Russia - explain to me why Russians always have tendency to elect or support a government that openly bullies other countries? They were portrayed as baddies because they are, drunk with imperial cool aid. This is a true tragedy of Russia, the nation will never stomach not being important. This is the same as Germany - as the saying goes ‘Germany is too big for Europe, too small for the world’.

Banjo64

cumsessed

No. It’s a defence treaty. If NATO does that it provides justification to Putin’s claim that NATO is an imperialistic organisation and as you say, would trigger WW3. There’s no chance Russia concede the air space and the no fly zone is laughable if we aren’t willing to shoot their jets down.

Nico_D

About Russia - explain to me why Russians always have tendency to elect or support a government that openly bullies other countries?

"Always" is a big word. Jeltsin wasn't. He actually brought democracy to Russia.

But yeah, there's some historic burden. I've been wondering it myself.

sinnergy

no, because as boris said yesterday that would involve them shooting down russian jets or aircraft. which drags them into a war, he said that’s completely off the table.
Beter is to wait and see and let Putin turnout into another famous dictator .. that’s much better 🤣

Banjo64

cumsessed
That's because it's Ukraine.

The whole "Ukraine isn't part of NATO so that's why we arent going on the offensive" or "we can't go in because Russia will nuke us" is BS.

If lets' say France wasnt part of NATO for some reason and Russia attacked France, there is no way the US, UK and all the other European countries immediately beside France would do nothing and just send Macron bullets and anti-tank rockets.
If our direct neighbour was attacked would we do something? Possibly, due to the proximity. Why would the US get involved if there was no treaty in place? Both world wars were basically a jenga effect of country after country getting pulled in because they had defence treatys in place.

I think you over estimate the power of the other European nations - the UK and France are the only military powers in Europe.

Wildebeest

About Germany - watch them keeping those nuclear reactors operational

About Russia - explain to me why Russians always have tendency to elect or support a government that openly bullies other countries? They were portrayed as baddies because they are, drunk with imperial cool aid. This is a true tragedy of Russia, the nation will never stomach not being important. This is the same as Germany - as the saying goes ‘Germany is too big for Europe, too small for the world’.
Who knows. The poetic theory is that the institutions of leadership of Russia were established by Ivan the Terrible and are too ingrained to really reform without the whole thing collapsing. For someone to take control of those institutions, be they royalist, communist or capitalist, they have to adopt the persona of the tyrant who keeps the entire thing together with nothing more than his iron will and the fear of the entire world.

Amiga

Russia can't be bankrupt by sanctions because their biggest assets are domestics resources. These resources themselves are currency. Their prices have gone up massively recently. It's just citizens dependent on savings that will get hurt. but it will be for a limited time as the Russian economy shifts to Asia trade, where the whole world economy is shifting anyway. What sanctions do is just accelerate that shift. once complete both Europeans and Russia will have no leverage over each other, relations will be about threat and counter threat. the Balkans are right at the heart of Europe and will most likely be re-ignited.

So, the biggest (or one of the) French companies won’t get rid of its assets in Russia. Macron will probably disappear for the next few days.

Last edited:
China is the owner of most of said containers. Maersk decision helps but in the end won’t help that much.

Probably Mariupol will fall next. They are being attack from all sides now. If the city falls it will be a big loss for Ukraine as they have something around 40k militar down there that will be cut from the North. At the same time, the Russians will probably start the siege of Odessa. Regarding the vehicles, people here seems to think that if any vehicle stops due to a malfunction or whatever the whole army will stop and try to fix it. It is obvious that they will just leave it behind. If they control the area and care enough about the piece of equipment, they can always go back and fix it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom