• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

vR7m556.png

Holy shit Billy the Blue Ranger really went downhill.

Gp1

Looks like the eastern Ukrainian forces will probably be encircled in a week or so. I still guess that Ukraine can say goodbye to anything east of the Dnieper.

And this is the official "sanctioned" number.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’ve stopped following this on social media. It’s a shame because it’s important to follow, but too many people trying to tie this into either their agendas or making it about culture war nonsense has ruined being able to follow this story adequately.

People can’t just take one fucking day off from the culture war bullshit, it’s a god damn addiction.

Atrus

Gold Member
Every piece of Russian equipment the Ukrainians can remove off the board is something the Russians will struggle to replace. Their repair and maintenance alone has been a joke, and a lot of what they have exists due to large Soviet stockpiles of indeterminate quality.

Just have to keep the flow of ATGMs, MANPADs, and drones to keep up the cost-effective removal of Russian forces.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Breaking news is that Georgia have also applied for swift membership to the EU.

Personally, I think both Ukraine and Georgia should have instant membership to the EU. This is also huge news for the EU. Putin thought he would divide Europe, but this move could have the opposite action. Instead, it could usher in a new era in European history and help push the EU to form in to a unified federal state!

What an own goal from Putin!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Personally, I think both Ukraine and Georgia should have instant membership to the EU. This is also huge news for the EU. Putin thought he would divide Europe, but this move could have the opposite action. Instead, it could usher in a new era in European history and help push the EU to form in to a unified federal state!

He would get his wish if we followed your plan. The EU isn't just a club, or even an agreement like NATO, there are real economic and legal effects for both someone who joins and those already in the union when someone else joins.

Cyberpunkd

People think EU is some gentleman’s club.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I’ve stopped following this on social media. It’s a shame because it’s important to follow, but too many people trying to tie this into either their agendas or making it about culture war nonsense has ruined being able to follow this story adequately.

People can’t just take one fucking day off from the culture war bullshit, it’s a god damn addiction.
I asked my friend what he thought about all this shit going down , and he immediately went on some tangent with some talking points about the keystone pipeline and the botched pullout in afghanistan to explain how we got here... he immediately switched gears and changed the subject when he saw how disappointed I looked I think :messenger_pensive: sigh

Rossco EZ

some of Russian 'soldiers' are actually civilians who were fooled thinking that they are in military training

so hold on why are they all working in schools seems a bit a weird lol..
but wouldn’t surprise me that the russians would do this. these guys are just meat shields

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
He would get his wish if we followed your plan. The EU isn't just a club, or even an agreement like NATO, there are real economic and legal effects for both someone who joins and those already in the union when someone else joins.

Okay, maybe not instant access, but another point I was trying to make is that Putin wants to divide Europe, but his actions could make the EU even stronger and more united, possibly even turning the EU into a federal superstate.

I could be wrong, but the EU certainly seems more united after recent events.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sure it's not, however for country like Ukraine it can provide a lot of benefits, but lets be honest here, the process could take a lot of years, even if you sign up like this. So I am not sure how much effect is going to have now.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So now Russia is basically just gifting vehicles to Ukraine in order to help them fight off the Russian invasion?

That is awfully nice of them lol

jason10mm

Gold Member
The movie Red Dawn is even more ridiculous. The idea that any Russian military could deploy forces to fight all the way across the world is laughable. They can barely fight in their backyard without running out of fuel and getting wrecked.
IIRC the initial Airborne forces were actually Cuban with some Soviet advisers, later on more Soviet forces moved into that area.

GreenAlien

This might have been posted already, but it's informative enough I think i can be excused for not searching through entire thread and posting it a second time..

Last edited:

Teslerum

Sure it's not, however for country like Ukraine it can provide a lot of benefits, but lets be honest here, the process could take a lot of years, even if you sign up like this. So I am not sure how much effect is going to have now.
The effect is garnering at least some sort of support and backing, no matter if its small or *just* a potential.

Ukraine is trying everything at the moment no matter what sticks. That's why there's a ton of phone calls to world leaders, a ton of overreporting (and possibly embellishing achievements) for motivation, a ton of calls to sanction every little thing and so on.

The result or the process doesn't matter, because the goal isn't what happens in 10 years. The goal is what happens now.
It's about survival.

Last edited:

Forsete

4 Russian aircraft violated Swedish airspace today.

2x Su-27 and 2x Su-24.
They were photographed by Swedish fighters.

This occurred outside the island of Gotland.

Mato

I wish Ukraine could be in the EU but not like this. If it gets accepted and Putin manages to upturn the current government and establish a puppet one, then things could get really messy. Another Orban but on steroids, having a say and a veto in internal EU politics, can you imagine? The situation needs to be clarified before Ukraine can join.

Thaedolus

4 Russian aircraft violated Swedish airspace today.

2x Su-27 and 2x Su-24.
They were photographed by Swedish fighters.

This occurred outside the island of Gotland.

Oh for fuck’s sake. This is what I was talking about with the nukes shit. Miss one waypoint or whatever, someone gets trigger happy, someone else responds, and away we go.

The Mayans forgot to carry a 1 with the 2012 shit.

Hari Seldon

What kind of planes do Sweden and Finland have? I seem to recall Finland placing an order for F-35s but that was recent and they probably don't have them yet I'm guessing right?

Thaedolus

Honestly if Finland and Sweden are next and Putin holds back the nukes, that might be his quickest route to defeat. I highly doubt they’re next though, unless he really is prepared to use nukes.

MrMephistoX

Sadly most Wws started like this .. who knows
Yeah at this point since it’s a dismal failure on Putin’s part with the military troops he might resort to indiscriminate bombing and chemical weapons or small tactical nukes designed to scare people but not level a city: which would really escalate things. It’s hard to tell if the initial wave of untrained soldiers with shitty gear is just reflective of how bad the Russian army is or if he’s been holding back?

Last edited:

Forsete

What kind of planes do Sweden and Finland have? I seem to recall Finland placing an order for F-35s but that was recent and they probably don't have them yet I'm guessing right?

The 64 ordered F35 will be phased in from 2027 after a quick google search.
They currently operate F/A-18

Sweden uses SAAB JAS 39 Gripen in different variants. The E-variant being the latest and basically like a new aircraft compared to the old C versions. Not sure how many E-versions are operational yet though.

Last edited:

NoviDon

Honestly if Finland and Sweden are next and Putin holds back the nukes, that might be his quickest route to defeat. I highly doubt they’re next though, unless he really is prepared to use nukes.
why? aren't they not apart of NATO? so there should be no interference from other nations right? I mean, the world is watching ukrainians get slaughtered and they are doing nothing to intervene with troops or air support, and that is because they aren't apart of NATO so the west will keep the same energy for those nations i'm expecting...

Airbus Jr

Banned

Sweden uses SAAB JAS 39 Gripen in different variants. The E-variant being the latest and basically like a new aircraft compared to the old C versions. Not sure how many E-versions are operational yet though.
Those are no match for russian flankers ( not even the f 35)

Europe need to buit better fighters in the future

Wildebeest

I suppose they are referring to when the Russians "cleverly outmanoeuvred" the west away from depending on the evil Nato alliance once again by threatening non Nato members (Sweden and Finland) with nuclear strikes if they helped Ukraine in any way. I'm sure that convinced both countries that the cause of Russia to defend itself against Nato aggression is just and that joining Nato would be a terrible move for them as they might miss out the thrill of being threatened again with nuclear first strikes from Russia whenever their highly lucid and not at all paranoid leader feels a bit threatened.

Hari Seldon

That sounds like a far better airforce than the ancient Mig-29s that Ukraine is flying.

Bragr

Banned
And I am sure there are crazy violent Christians/jews out there, but that does not give me the right to disrespect their faith. I already explained how symbolically what the lard bullet means to me & my people. I will never support nazis and I will never support Russia.
Why won't you disrespect their faith if they interpret it through violence? do you respect the nazis faith?

Forsete

Those are no match for russian flankers ( not even the f 35)

Europe need to buit better fighters in the future
Not so sure about that.

SAABs EWS are one of the best in the world, or so I have heard.
Then we might have a few Meteor laying around...

Airbus Jr

Banned
That sounds like a far better airforce than the ancient Mig-29s that Ukraine is flying.
Still on paper mig 29 ( and its newer variant mig 35) are better on air to air confrontation compared to saab and gripen

Gota admit russians are still better on that ( they only lack funding) thats why i said nato need to built better fighter in the future

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom