• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I mean they are even removing Stoli which isn’t even made in Russia because of the name same with Smirnoff…what’s next Russian River brewing from CA?
67nhsl2.jpg
All the more proof it's just virtue signaling.

Remember Yakov Smirnoff, the guy who makes jokes about Russia at least some people probably think is Russian? He's actually Ukrainian. Wonder if they tried canceling him yet? lol.

Not saying don't be wary. Be aware, but don't jump to conclusion with accusations.
For now it's just a statement about the state of the taste Russian products.
It's going beyond that though but hey, whatever floats your boat dude.

RAÏSanÏa

All the more proof it's just virtue signaling.

Remember Yakov Smirnoff, the guy who makes jokes about Russia at least some people probably think is Russian? He's actually Ukrainian. Wonder if they tried canceling him yet? lol.

It's going beyond that though but hey, whatever floats your boat dude.
Your nosepicking post wasn't about anything beyond that.

"Some of Russia's wealthiest are moving their boats to other locations, potentially with the hope they can avoid having those items seized," CNBC reported Monday. One Ukrainian mechanic on a Russian super-yacht docked in Mallorca, Spain, took matters into his own hands on Saturday, Spain's Ultima Hora reported.

The mechanic, Taras Ostapchuk, saw a video of Russian missiles striking an apartment complex in Kyiv and decided to sink the $7 million yacht, the Lady Anastasia, he said is owned by a Russian arms tycoon, his boss. "I told myself: 'What do I need a job for if I don't have a country?'" he told Ultima Hora. He opened two valves in the yacht to let in water, then told fellow crew members so they wouldn't drown, Ostapchuk told a judge after police arrested him, The Washington Post reports.

"I don't regret anything I've done, and I would do it again,"

Wildebeest

As fun as the idea of seizing yachts is...
What is the government going to do with a seized Yacht? Is the government going to take on maintenance of said Yacht for years? Sell it? To who?
Maybe turn her into a hotel like the Queen Mary? I don't know.

What worries how long before innocent Russian Americans get persecuted or targeted by idiots blaming them for all this? Like what some people did with Arabs or Muslims in America after 9/11.

Removing anything Russian and like this is fanning flames and enabling crazy people.

Bit harder to do since most "blend in" better. It's the reason why back in the 40s the Japanese-Americans were an easier target than German related background individuals as they "stood out" more.

Darkmakaimura

Ukranian woman told Russian soldiers they just made a big mistake

Did she say every woman here is a witch? (I'm on mobile and about a quarter of the image cut off)

Heh. Kind of reminds me how my family told me about Slavic curses and all.

Last edited:

NickFire

What is the government going to do with a seized Yacht? Is the government going to take on maintenance of said Yacht for years? Sell it? To who?
I do not like the idea of Germany seizing Russian ships of any sort. I love the sentiment behind it, but I firmly believe in jinxes, and I do not like hearing about Germany seizing ships while we try avoiding WW3. Sorry not sorry, but Germany is not a country I trust to prevent WW3. Germany has caused enough world wars already. Let France or UK or anyone else seize the ships.

Darkmakaimura

Bit harder to do since most "blend in" better. It's the reason why back in the 40s the Japanese-Americans were an easier target than German related background individuals as they "stood out" more.
Accents.

There's a lot of Russian people here but they could also be Ukrainian or Polish but never underestimate crazy and dumb people who have prejudices.

In fact some people think my last name is Russian which it is in a way but it's actually Ukrainian. It's just mine is the Ukrainian spelling.

(edit: I had someone tell me it's a Ukrainian Jewish variation but whatever)

Last edited:
Yeah and I just want to clarify. I support sanctions. I support sanctioning Russia. I do not support canceling pretty much everything that has to do with Russia. One is a necessity and the other one is just going overboard to be honest.

The sactions themselves need to go further if you really want to hurt them as the we, the US, is still buying Russian oil as are the European Union. Even with the removal of Russia from SWIFT it was mentioned only "select" accounts remain, which is likely where the oil and fertilizer is being purchased from.

And speaking of fertilizer I was reading earlier than Russia accounts for 40% of Europe's crop fertilizer.

It's not just Russia but the EU is going to hurt and likely will put the planet in another massive Depression. And this is not even including if China goes after Taiwan.
Sure. Because that totally didn't happen during 9/11....

Oddly enough a few days ago a "new" old video was released of the second plane hitting the South Tower, which was longer and slightly clearer than previous ones released.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I do not like the idea of Germany seizing Russian ships of any sort. I love the sentiment behind it, but I firmly believe in jinxes, and I do not like hearing about Germany seizing ships while we try avoiding WW3. Sorry not sorry, but Germany is not a country I trust to prevent WW3. Germany has caused enough world wars already. Let France or UK or anyone else seize the ships.

This is a good idea, have The French seize the boats and when they refuse to leave them or relocate them to British territorial waters the British sink them in port. Both countries have experience in this area, the French ignoring British demands to leave and the British Sinking French occupied ships.

Last edited:

NickFire

This is a good idea, have The French seize the boats and when they refuse to leave them the British sink them in port. Both countries have experience in this area, the French ignoring British demands to leave and the British Sinking French occupied ships.
I might waded into the deep end. Doesn't matter though. I'll still shudder at any news about Germany seizing ships while praying my kids are not drafted into WW3.

spons

Gold Member

Comments there are pathetic. They can gut those Russian artillerymen alive for all I care. Mariupol is completely cut off from the rest of the world, no internet, no electricity, nothing, all because of 15 hours of shelling. Hundreds of people dead. Kill 'em. I don't give a shit. What the fuck is wrong with these people.

The sactions themselves need to go further if you really want to hurt them as the we, the US, is still buying Russian oil as are the European Union. Even with the removal of Russia from SWIFT it was mentioned only "select" accounts remain, which is likely where the oil and fertilizer is being purchased from.

And speaking of fertilizer I was reading earlier than Russia accounts for 40% of Europe's crop fertilizer.

It's not just Russia but the EU is going to hurt and likely will put the planet in another massive Depression. And this is not even including if China goes after Taiwan.

Oddly enough a few days ago a "new" old video was released of the second plane hitting the South Tower, which was longer and slightly clearer than previous ones released.

As I understand it petrol is used to produce most fertilizer available for sale, so it would make sense that Russia being a major exporter of gas would account for a lot of Europe's fertilizer. There are probably many other economic issues that are not clear at the moment but will be in the near future.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yeah they have this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-57 which entered into service at the end of 2020. They don't have many of them built yet though, and were modernizing older aircraft until it's introduction.
Interesting how many crashed before production. That's not typical, is it?

Yeah I see that now. Perhaps we (the US) needs to bulk up our NATO allies so that they are not flying museum pieces.
I don't know that giving jets as free aid is a great idea, even to NATO partners. The US has access to enough airbases on the continent and enough allies who can afford to buy high end planes and materiel that we should be able to meet any logistical needs if they come about. As long as we're not reneging on our commitments to less wealthy allies I think NATO is pretty solid.

Think of it this way: The support life of older planes like the F-16 is coming to an end, and maintenance of new products like the F-35 is very expensive. Is it better for a poor, former combloc country to maintain old MiGs that they have decades of knowhow to keep up? Or be given old US planes that they probably can't get parts for? Or have to buy new US planes that they can barely afford to fly because they can't afford to maintain them?

Now what might be a good idea is to bring engineers from poorer countries to the US or richer Euro countries to learn about modern avionics and tech, and see if they can find ways to improve and update their old Soviet junk with our support. Upgrade packages might even be cheap enough that if they could design it, we could make it for them and give it to them at a subsidized rate or even for free.

As I understand it petrol is used to produce most fertilizer available for sale, so it would make sense that Russia being a major exporter of gas would account for a lot of Europe's fertilizer. There are probably many other economic issues that are not clear at the moment but will be in the near future.

Yeah, it's going to be a few weeks/months to see how the ripple effect goes.

Teslerum

Comments there are pathetic. They can gut those Russian artillerymen alive for all I care. Mariupol is completely cut off from the rest of the world, no internet, no electricity, nothing, all because of 15 hours of shelling. Hundreds of people dead. Kill 'em. I don't give a shit. What the fuck is wrong with these people.

Killing captured soldiers is quite literally a war crime, regardless of circumstances. If you shoot to kill regardless of situation, fine. But that isn't it.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Killing captured soldiers is quite literally a war crime, regardless of circumstances. If you shoot to kill regardless of situation, fine. But that's not it.

What the fuck is wrong with you?
I didn't read correctly. No idea why they're executing captured people.

Teslerum

I didn't read correctly. No idea why they're executing captured people.
I'm assuming (hoping) the tweet got something wrong here and it just means that they don't actively seek to capture anymore.

That said, war can lead you to dark paths and no side in history has ever come out without committing atrocious acts. So, who knows?

Last edited:

Rest

YACHTZEE!

You know, I've heard of yachts so big that they tow around a smaller yacht to go to port, but I've never seen one before.

If I had that much money, I don't think I'd spend it on a boat.

spons

Gold Member
Partly for murdering civilians from the sounds of it. Maybe logistical reasons. It's Special Forces not the entire army.
Well that is an overarching problem right now isn't it. The neo-Nazi Azov Battalion is currently fighting in and around the Mariupol I mentioned, and I can imagine the foreign legion attracting some loons as well.
When you've got those groups of militia fighting all over I suppose atrocities lie around the corner.

RAÏSanÏa

Killing captured soldiers is quite literally a war crime, regardless of circumstances. If you shoot to kill regardless of situation, fine. But that isn't it.
My first thought went to the lesson in Saving Private Ryan about Special Forces dealing with prisoners.

Rest

They can sell it to cruise company. Depending how big it is it can be used for river cruises, gulf cruises, etc.

RAÏSanÏa

Well that is an overarching problem right now isn't it. The neo-Nazi Azov Battalion is currently fighting in and around the Mariupol I mentioned, and I can imagine the foreign legion attracting some loons as well.
When you've got those groups of militia fighting all over I suppose atrocities lie around the corner.
If they keep to killing civilian targeting artillerymen who should be executed anyhow, it saves a few bucks and court time later.
Someone might chew them out.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

A "battalion" is like 300-500 people. Not even worth mentioning when you have armies in the 100s of thousands up against each other.

RAÏSanÏa

"You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business, we in the killin' Russian business. And cousin, business is a-boomin'"

Liljagare

You are perfectly fine with killing known war criminals in a war, like atm, the artillery guys targetting civilians. You are allowed to skip tribunals for theese criminals.

Also, the Azov battalion now consists of less than 900, more likely around 300. In a country with 44 million. Its not even worth mentioning anymore, and a obvious shill for Russia.

FunkMiller

What good is dumping your Russian vodka though that you already bought? It's just virtue signaling on an international level. In fact we're sort of seeing cancel culture in an international level so to speak. Yeah, Putin sucks ass and he's a nut job but do we really need to go to this extent? Especially when many of the average Russians are against this war.

I’d say this situation is the rare case where virtue signalling and cancel culture should be encouraged as much as possible. This is a war. There’s very little any of us outside Ukraine can do… but we can cut out every single Russian thing from our lives. If we all do that, then it’ll help to destroy their economy. Every single business and person on earth should be turning their back on Russia.

This isn’t about whining about a tweet someone sent five years ago… it’s about doing whatever can be done to hurt these murderous cunts.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I’d say this situation is the rare case where virtue signalling and cancel culture should be encouraged as much as possible. This is a war. There’s very little any of us outside Ukraine can do… but we can cut out every single Russian thing from our lives. If we all do that, then it’ll help to destroy their economy. Every single business and person on earth should be turning their back on Russia.

This isn’t about whining about a tweet someone sent five years ago… it’s about doing whatever can be done to hurt these murderous cunts.
I understand what you're trying to say but there is a point when it goes too far, and again a lot of Russians probably see Putin for the monster that he is. It's pretty obvious when you see them out there protesting risking their freedoms.

I'm all for heavily sanctioning Russia. But it gets to a point where honestly it is virtue signaling. You can see that where people are boycotting Russian drinks that weren't even made in Russia to begin with as was been brought up here a couple times.

I see people that pretty much have no idea what this war is about or what is even going on and it's just boycotting Russian products or products they think are from Russia so they can feel like they're "doing good" so to speak.

People like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma have expanded on what I was trying to say for instance.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I understand what you're trying to save but there is a point when it goes too far, and again a lot of Russians probably see Putin for the monster that he is. It's pretty obvious when you see them out there protesting risking their freedoms.

I'm offer heavily sanctioning Russia. But it gets to a point where honestly it is virtue signaling. You can see that where people are boycotting Russian drinks that weren't even made in Russia to begin with as was been brought up here a couple times.

No. There isn’t. Not when innocent people are being murdered.

…and of course I’m talking about boycotting actual Russian products. Boycotting stuff made outside Russia is absolutely moronic!

akimbo009

Gold Member

You've been appropriately piled on. I'd just add that taking "both sides are bad" in a situation where 1 army is killing citizens in the thousands, and the other is has a few shitty (dying) souls isn't a very helpful discussion. Nothing is super black/white in a war, but getting there has rarely been as clear cut a reason to condemn an invading nation as this. If Ukraine needs to be investigated for war crimes against Russia after the war, then OK... but that will also say that they won which is OK too.

Darkmakaimura

…and of course I’m talking about boycotting actual Russian products. Boycotting stuff made outside Russia is absolutely moronic!
Yes and that is a great example so I'm not sure why you seem to be missing the point and yet sort of understand it here too?

Last edited:

Liljagare

I understand what you're trying to say but there is a point when it goes too far, and again a lot of Russians probably see Putin for the monster that he is. It's pretty obvious when you see them out there protesting risking their freedoms.

I'm all for heavily sanctioning Russia. But it gets to a point where honestly it is virtue signaling. You can see that where people are boycotting Russian drinks that weren't even made in Russia to begin with as was been brought up here a couple times.

I see people that pretty much have no idea what this war is about or what is even going on and it's just boycotting Russian products or products they think are from Russia so they can feel like they're "doing good" so to speak.

People like DeepEnigma DeepEnigma have expanded on what I was trying to say for instance.

Russian artillery targetting civilians and thermobaric drops should really be enough for just saying:

No@u

akimbo009

Gold Member

If it doesn't do anything then why do you care? If it helps them feel involved, and has an outside chance of having some influence or just makes them feel at peace about the chaos that's in their world - who gives a shit? Why are you making such a fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom