• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it too. Ukraine is not NATO.
Either Rusia attacks NATO directly, or they wont engage in the war.

If we reach NATO vs Rusia scenario, mutual destruction is almost a given.

Looks like Puting may not give an f about that, but sure the rest of the world does.

Nobody really knows where the line of an all in nuke war is.

I think the west is too afraid of civilian casualties that they will wait to the very last moment to engage.

Nuking Ukraine would be the prelude of a nuclear confrontation, I'm afraid...Once the nuclear genie is out of the bottle, it will not be getting back in...

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
If it doesn't do anything then why do you care? If it helps them feel involved, and has an outside chance of having some influence or just makes them feel at peace about the chaos that's in their world - who gives a shit? Why are you making such a fuss.
Already explained this earlier. Even DeepEnigma DeepEnigma elaborated further on this.

A lot of people seem to be missing the point I'm making and I don't know how I can be any more clear. It even seems like some of you are making out like I'm being apologetic towards Russia which is definitely not the case.

Anyway I've said what I said. I guess emotions are running high so we're not looking at a bigger picture here.

It is what it is.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
David Foxx 🇺🇦 (@thatfoxxybloke) Tweeted: The UKs response to Russians invasion of Ukraine 🇺🇦 A thread. Some are saying the UK isn't doing enough. So I'll let you decide for yourselves. The UK has been training Ukrainian troops since 2015.
https://t.co/cTHzaQoFPN

noice GIF

If it doesn't do anything then why do you care? If it helps them feel involved, and has an outside chance of having some influence or just makes them feel at peace about the chaos that's in their world - who gives a shit? Why are you making such a fuss.

What he's getting at is the problem is that most of these people who show themselves on social media are rarely doing it to be 'at peace' and are just looking for points.

It reminds me of 2020 of Instagram Influencers arriving to BLM ravaged areas for photo opportunities.

FunkMiller

Already explained this earlier. Even DeepEnigma DeepEnigma elaborated further on this.

A lot of people seem to be missing the point I'm making and I don't know how I can be any more clear. It even seems like some of you are making out like I'm being apologetic towards Russia which is definitely not the case.

Anyway I've said what I said. I guess emotions are running high so we're not looking at a bigger picture here.

It is what it is.

Clarity: we should completely boycott every single Russian business and product.

We should not boycott products not made in Russia.

Any disagreement?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Clarity: we should completely boycott every single Russian business and product.

We should not boycott products not made in Russia.

Any disagreement?
No, we should not literally boycott everything from Russia or of a Russian background.

But yes I agree with heavy sanctioning.

Anyways that's as far as I'm going to go with this discussion. I've already previously discussed and mention how I feel about things and the consequences, etc.

It's obviously the majority of you will not agree with me on this or most things I have an opinion on so I've said my peace and that's that.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

No, we should not literally boycott everything from Russia or of a Russian background.

Anyways that's as far as I'm going to go with this discussion. I've already previously discussed and mention how I feel about things and the consequences, etc.

It's obviously the majority of you will not agree with me on this or most things so I've said my peace and that's that.

That’s where we disagree then. All clear.

Hari Seldon

It is what it is.
I think the genie is out of the bottle now that Russia is targeting civilians with unguided artillery. I think a case could have been made for limiting sanctions as a carrot and stick diplomatic approach but at this point if you are behaving like a mid 20th century dictator you should be treated as one.

RAÏSanÏa

Putin talks about his motivations
He keeps claiming these things he's talking about are very obvious. These conditions only exist in his head, which admittedly would be obvious to him.
None of it pertains to reality or justifies Russia's military assault or war crimes.

He should talk about Russian efforts to infiltrate and destabilize democracies over the years to balance the victim card. Maybe talk about his palace and how that was paid for. How was the handling of covid?
How did school teachers end up from a 3 day training mission to the opening assault?
Stuff like that.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
What he's getting at is the problem is that most of these people who show themselves on social media are rarely doing it to be 'at peace' and are just looking for points.

It reminds me of 2020 of Instagram Influencers arriving to BLM ravaged areas for photo opportunities.

Then don't read social media if it triggers you, it's a shit show anyways.

And not buying Russian stuff, vodka and otherwise, is a perfectly fine approach to take away any additional money that would go their way. Killing babies and mothers and civilians is pretty much a quick way to say fuck off with buying anything from them.

That said, I buy my vodka from Japan, Finland, and Texas. I don't know what else I can not buy from Russia. I am actually curious what that list would be.

akimbo009

Gold Member
He keeps claiming these things he's talking about are very obvious. These conditions only exist in his head, which admittedly would be obvious to him.
None of it pertains to reality or justifies Russia's military assault or war crimes.

He should talk about Russian efforts to infiltrate and destabilize democracies over the years to balance the victim card. Maybe talk about his palace and how that was paid for. How was the handling of covid?
How did school teachers end up from a 3 day training mission to the opening assault?
Stuff like that.

He sounds like a 5 year old repeating the same shit over and over again when we know he's the one who broke everyone's crayons. I mean, if he wasn't killing journalists, irradiating his political opponents, etc then there could a conversation but he's killing westerns and Russians alike. Just a mad man.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont get this seize Russian rich guy's stuff. Unless someone is a war criminal funding oppression, let's say this billionaire guy has nothing to do with the war and is simply a businessman.

How can a gov just take his boat?

probably auction
And after do they send the money to Ukraine or is it just just a quick way of making some money? Is it OK now to seize private property of any individual your goverment doesn’t like the passport color or is it targeting people that have direct involvement with the current Russian authoritarian regime?

David Foxx 🇺🇦 (@thatfoxxybloke) Tweeted: The UKs response to Russians invasion of Ukraine 🇺🇦 A thread. Some are saying the UK isn't doing enough. So I'll let you decide for yourselves. The UK has been training Ukrainian troops since 2015.
https://t.co/cTHzaQoFPN

noice GIF

So they were aware since 2015 of a potential invasion and did nothing to prevent it?

Jesus, the Kyiv subway looks like a scene out of the Metro games. 15 000 people down there. What does that do for the quality of air in that place. Must be musty as fuck

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
And after do they send the money to Ukraine or is it just just a quick way of making some money? Is it OK now to seize private property of any individual your goverment doesn’t like the passport color or is it targeting people that have direct involvement with the current Russian authoritarian regime?

So they were aware since 2015 of a potential invasion and did nothing to prevent it?
What do you think the outcome would've been if the United Kingdom would've officially got involved?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I dont get this seize Russian rich guy's stuff. Unless someone is a war criminal funding oppression, let's say this billionaire guy has nothing to do with the war and is simply a businessman.

How can a gov just take his boat?

Sanctions aren't put on individuals unless there is evidence that they committed, funded, supported, planned or otherwise took part in crimes. So, they took his boat because they have reason to believe he's a criminal.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Putin's response is rambling nonsense.
He talks about not wanting neighboring countries to be in NATO having foreign missiles on his front porch and says that the US wouldn't like it if they put missles between the US and Canada for example (like the cuban missile crisis). I get that, but

1. These countries are ASKING to join NATO because they don't want to be invaded by Russia. NATO isn't going around invading countries forcing them to join.

2. He's clearly more concerned about the USA than the rest of NATO, even though he keeps saying "the west" as evidenced by his analogy about the US's borders with canada and mexico. How did this USA/Russia beef get started in the first place? Did the cuban missle crisis kick it off or was it before then?

3. His concerns don't justify just going in and invading all their neighbors. Once he takes them all over, if they're part of Russia then does he next have to take over THEIR neighbors? Why couldn't he have just picked up the phone and been like "hey, we have this concern and would prefer that you don't join NATO... we won't invade if you agree to stay neutral, deal?". As a matter of fact, same thing for Crimea. Of course, they're a soverign nation so he stil wouldn't have the right to invade.

4. Would Russia be ok if Ukraine joined the EU but not NATO? I'm assuming that America can't join the EU since we're not in Europe and he's clearly mostly concerned about the USA.

5. Back when the USA gained Texas, that was way over 100 years ago and Nuclear weapons weren't a thing in that time. Plus, didn't the USA pay for Texas instead of just invading?

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Is it fake or an international variant? Time has different covers for different regions.
I didn't know Times magazine has different covers for different regions. The Twitter link I gave is the official page so I would assume that would be the cover shown around the world.

Liljagare

It's obviously the majority of you will not agree with me on this or most things I have an opinion on so I've said my peace and that's that.

That makes no sense and is literarly then supporting Russian war efforts.

So it is natural that alot of people will disagree with you. Hope you understand that.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He talks about not wanting neighboring countries to be in NATO having foreign missiles on his front porch and says that the US wouldn't like it if they put missles between the US and Canada for example (like the cuban missile crisis). I get that, but

1. These countries are ASKING to join NATO because they don't want to be invaded by Russia. NATO isn't going around invading countries forcing them to join.

2. He's clearly more concerned about the USA than the rest of NATO, even though he keeps saying "the west" as evidenced by his analogy about the US's borders with canada and mexico. How did this USA/Russia beef get started in the first place? Did the cuban missle crisis kick it off or was it before then?

3. His concerns don't justify just going in and invading all their neighbors. Once he takes them all over, if they're part of Russia then does he next have to take over THEIR neighbors? Why couldn't he have just picked up the phone and been like "hey, we have this concern and would prefer that you don't join NATO... we won't invade if you agree to stay neutral, deal?". As a matter of fact, same thing for Crimea. Of course, they're a soverign nation so he stil wouldn't have the right to invade.

4. Would Russia be ok if Ukraine joined the EU but not NATO? I'm assuming that America can't join the EU since we're not in Europe and he's clearly mostly concerned about the USA.

5. Back when the USA gained Texas, that was way over 100 years ago and Nuclear weapons weren't a thing in that time. Plus, didn't the USA pay for Texas instead of just invading?
His US/Canada example is a bad one because it's the longest undefended border in the world. Aside from the usual customs border checks like driving into Buffalo or Detroit where all you do is show them your passport and answer their canned questions like (how long are you going and what for?), you dont see any military or armed guards anywhere. You actually see US military outside of the Sabres' arena watching who is walking towards the arena. Sounds weird, but it's true.

He's just putting on a show for BS reasons hoping to convince people his view makes sense which it doesn't.

So it goes to show all the anti-West/anti-USA people the US is actually a super peaceful country. It's just that they get dragged into or ask to be part of global conflicts. So that's when they go hard with their jacked up military tech and aircraft carriers.

If the US was that bad, they would had taken over Canada no problem and hoarded all of our territory by now. Most of our biggest cities are near the border too, which makes it even easier to storm on over. But they dont. Dont act like a jackass and the US wont do anything to you.

Last edited:

This reads like Cliff's Notes. Stop.

My goodness.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Texas became its own nation when immigrant Americans won it from Mexico, itself recently liberated from Spain. They then allied and were annexed by the US and Mexico's attempts to reclaim it rebuffed by war.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Peculiar justification. Suppose if someone wanted to add some personal insight to the article for those that have already read it that could be new and insightful in the grand scheme of things.
Just so I'm not getting the wrong end of the stick here are you annoyed that I posted something you've posted by mistake?

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Someone else posted it.
My annoyance was with reposting. However, you did add a little commentary. Something to consider more, perhaps.
So before posting anything you expect me and everyone else to go back through previous pages in a large thread in order not to repost something? Ever so slightly petty wouldn't you say?

Edit that's not going to happen.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Sweden has also like Germany ordered a immediate rearmarment order, and also ordered a review of the green party.

The Green parties in Europe has been found to have been funded by Russia, and in each country they have gained political power in, contrary to spear heading green energy, they have in each nation starkly voiced for cuts in military spending, as, obviously, Russia is no longer a threat.

Did Putin try to play the long game?

Last edited:

Romulus

Funny how Putin always seemed worried about the security and prosperity of Russia, yet he's more of a threat to Russia than any Western country. His actions are literally more counterproductive than anything the West has done.

Wildebeest

Sweden has also like Germany ordered a immediate rearmarment order, and also ordered a review of the green party.

The Green parties in Europe has been found to have been funded by Russia, and in each country they have gained political power in, contrary to spear heading green energy, they have in each nation starkly voiced for cuts in military spending, as, obviously, Russia is no longer a threat.

Did Putin try to play the long game?
A bit political, you think? A lot of these people do just parrot Moscow talking points, but I don't think that is what inspired them to get into politics in the first place. Personally, more in terms of internet content creators, I would love there to be a reckoning of people who got fat doing RT adjacent content and doing great "pro peace" content like defending the Assad regime and denying atrocities.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Plus, didn't the USA pay for Texas instead of just invading?
Oh I understand his points, they're just crap as you've outlined. As to Texas, I don't believe the US paid for it. It's been years since I read anything about it, but a bunch of Americans went to Texas, declared independence, and when they started losing asked the US for help, which was given. The only land that I know of which the US paid any money to any Mexican person for was the Gadsden Purchase. The President of Mexico at the time put the money from that in his personal bank account and not Mexico's treasury, so the legality of that is iffy.

Liljagare

A bit political, you think? A lot of these people do just parrot Moscow talking points, but I don't think that is what inspired them to get into politics in the first place. Personally, more in terms of internet content creators, I would love there to be a reckoning of people who got fat doing RT adjacent content and doing great "pro peace" content like defending the Assad regime and denying atrocities.

Not political, is being reported on alot of news sites. Which makes it more like enemy infiltration of a civilian government, which last time I looked, is a act of war.

But hey, keep defending Tyrants, and artillery lobbing shells at civilians instead. 🤗🤗

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom