• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I totally understand that propaganda is coming from both sides, but the Ukraine side at least has some non-Ukraine government outlets reporting things. So unless someone thinks all these articles are bogus too, its pretty hard to say Ukraine is as bad as Russian PR.

I just find it amazing how there's GAFFERS doing their best effort to promote Russian victories and Ukraine losses as if they are Russian and siding with Putin.

In life, sometimes for sake of good ethics, you should try to be positive and cheer for the oppressed side instead of sticking up for the aggressor as if youre their best friend.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Ukraine/Russia conflict isn’t the worlds issue, you’re made at Syria for its government nothing wrong with that, want China to clean up its house (slaves, minimum wage etc.) this whole thing feels like dusting off a news article from 2014, how is it every election Putin wins overwhelmingly let me remind you the Russian people already elected Putin.

Salz01

Ukraine/Russia conflict isn’t the worlds issue, you’re made at Syria for its government nothing wrong with that, want China to clean up its house (slaves, minimum wage etc.) this whole thing feels like dusting off a news article from 2014, how is it every election Putin wins overwhelmingly let me remind you the Russian people already elected Putin.
Yea about those Putin wins……. I personally wouldn’t call them legit wins.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Please stop posting and go back to school.

You know who else does elections? North Korea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_North_Korean_parliamentary_election
Tom Cruise GIF

Vestal

I totally understand that propaganda is coming from both sides, but the Ukraine side at least has some non-Ukraine government outlets reporting things. So unless someone thinks all these articles are bogus too, its pretty hard to say Ukraine is as bad as Russian PR.

I just find it amazing how there's GAFFERS doing their best effort to promote Russian victories and Ukraine losses as if they are Russian and siding with Putin.

In life, sometimes for sake of good ethics, you should try to be positive and cheer for the oppressed side instead of sticking up for the aggressor as if youre their best friend.
Honestly any Westener posting supportive Russia stuff is a traitor in my book.. Sorry, at its core this is Democracy vs Authoritarianism, and the line in the sand can't be clearer than that.

Democracy is messy as shown time and time again, but its basic principals of freedom and self determination are the basic tenants of civilized society.

I'll refer once again to the quote from Winter on Fire(2013/14 Ukranian uprising)..

"For 23 years we only had our Independence on paper, now so many people have sacrificed their lives that it has become real"

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

The military people, who are practically waging this war, know no good versus evil. It is the Ukrainian and Russian soldiers who are dying every day and who, if it were not for this war, would otherwise be playing football together and having a drink in a bar.
Meanwhile, on both sides, narcissistic and sick politicians are playing chess with these people and shitting on the lives of the people who are fighting each other, even though these people are not actually enemies. And what is the strongest weapon of such politicians to control their soldiers? It is lies and propaganda.

Do you still remember the video below?

I think it is the most shared video about this idiotic war and even the media on TV showed it permanently. It shows a Ukrainian father leaving his daughter in a bus to fight for Ukraine. That's how it was spread everywhere.

The problem is, that this is not true. It shows a Ukrainian in eastern Ukraine saying goodbye to his daughter so that she can be evacuated to Russia because it is too dangerous at home due to permanent bombings by the Ukrainian military. It shows the complete opposite of what people think they're seeing.

It is clear that both sides lie and use propaganda to achieve their goals.

On the one hand, you have Putin, who has more than enough dirt on him. On the other hand, you have Zelenskyy, who had hardly any support among the population until before the war, has not fought corruption as promised, and owns several off-shore companies for tax fraud. And that is only a small selection of the questionable and factually proven realities.

Whatever the outcome of this war, in the end 99.8% of the casualties were not enemies of each other.

Reads like both sides concern trolling that doesn't provide any support for the claims being made while obfuscating with emotional reasoning.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Russia is cutting all the supplies lines from the outside. Most of such news are now just a PR stunt.
This is not true. Russia has not come close to being able to shut down the flow of supplies in the west. Its how all the weapons and supplies are being brought in. Its no stunt.

Erm, you do know it's viewable in real time?

Ignore PJW for a moment, now, just answer the question.

The question is bogus. Firstly it has nothing to do with Ukraine and Russis. Secondly go watch the full context from thr speech and rephrase the question. I'm going to guess it's specifically about her body language rather than being specifically "excited" since there are also cheers of excitement.

I'm not sure what choice he had but to arm civilians. He needs numbers and civilians are more likely to step up and defend their nation with their life. There is also the question of how much of a assistance will somebody be without combat experience. Which leads me on the the call for foreign citizens to come and fight.

Asking civilians from other countries to help the fight might have been a mistake. If somebody has military and combat experience then yeah, by all means go and lend your support to Ukraine. However we're seeing, in the UK anyway, people going off to join the fight with absolutely no military or combat experience. I admire the bravery of these people, but unfortunately they're more likely to be a danger to the people their fighting with more than a danger to the Russians. These are people who have never fired off a gun in their life.

Some guy who was interviewed for the BBC today said he was going off to fight because be once knew a guy from Ukraine. When asked about his combat experience, he admitted he had never been in the armed forces. However, he asked his friend, who's in the army, about it and he now thinks he knows what to expect.

No, mate. You have no idea what you're getting yourself into. You're stepping into an urban warfare meat grinder with absolutely no combat experience. Like I said, I admire the bravery, but people really need to think about the decision they're making.

There's no way for me to have enough insight into the situation to either condemn or applaud the decision to arm citizens but I just get the feeling it won't end well. As for foreign citizens going off to fight I agree, admirable and brave decision to be making, but there's something disturbing to me that there are capable armed troops literally in the area who aren't doing anything because of politics, meanwhile Stan the pipe fitter from Wales is heading over to shoot a gun for the first time in a combat situation.

Beyond all that there's the thought that civilians are being used as pawns in an irreversible and nefarious way that is only going to lead to more casualties and destruction.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The question is bogus. Firstly it has nothing to do with Ukraine and Russis. Secondly go watch the full context from thr speech and rephrase the question. I'm going to guess it's specifically about her body language rather than being specifically "excited" since there are also cheers of excitement.
The woman seems utterly off her rocker, she's also well know to be doing back hand deals and insider trading.

And I saw the speech. If what you saw fills you with confidence, fair play to you (y)

If people want that, fair play to them too (y)

The woman seems utterly off her rocker, she's also well know to be doing back hand deals and insider trading.

And I saw the speech. If what you saw fills you with confidence, fair play to you (y)

If people want that, fair play to them too (y)

Aight, already off the subject. Back into the rabbit hole you go.

Nobody_Important

Who is that guy? Legit question. All of his tweets i've seen here are kind like: "OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE, EVERYTHING IS GOING WRONG"
Its a bot account designed to pull directly from some news source. I forget which one. Its basically an instant update for headlines for stories that have not been posted to their website yet. Its why all the tweets are in all caps.

chromhound

Gold Member
Who is that guy? Legit question. All of his tweets i've seen here are kind like: "OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE, EVERYTHING IS GOING WRONG"
He copy and Paste stuff from the Blomberg Terminal (They get news before they are release to the public)
Theres also Zerohedge but he's on Russia Side

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

didn't oversanctioning germany started ww2?
Germans were starving, poor and Hitler promised them riches again after over 20 years of giving everything away.
Besides - I don't think people should be punished for government actions... they are poor as is

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Germans were starving, poor and Hitler promised them riches again after over 20 years of giving everything away.
Besides - I don't think people should be punished for government actions... they are poor as is
Its either sanctions or nothing. And nothing is not an option so we have to make the sanctions strong enough that Russia feels them. Its not ideal obviously, but it's all we have.

Wildebeest

Germans were starving, poor and Hitler promised them riches again after over 20 years of giving everything away
Look up what happened to Russia in the 90s and why we have Putin now. But history never repeats, only rhymes.

Honestly any Westener posting supportive Russia stuff is a traitor in my book.. Sorry, at its core this is Democracy vs Authoritarianism, and the line in the sand can't be clearer than that.

Democracy is messy as shown time and time again, but its basic principals of freedom and self determination are the basic tenants of civilized society.

I'll refer once again to the quote from Winter on Fire(2013/14 Ukranian uprising)..

"For 23 years we only had our Independence on paper, now so many people have sacrificed their lives that it has become real"
That first paragraph is… something. “This is about authoritarianism vs democracy” doesn’t really jive with “anyone who says something I don’t like is a traitor.” In fact, it sounds pretty authoritarian. Freedom for everyone who agrees with me is kind of the essence of authoritarianism.

Look. It shouldn’t even need to be said, but I don’t support Russia. I hope all their trucks and tanks break down, they go home, and Putin is removed from power today. But the amount of irrational fervor and righteous indignation floating around right now is concerning, especially in places of power where calm, deliberate leadership is most important. Hopefully the people in charge act differently behind the scenes than they do on Twitter.

Vestal

It is an unavoidable consequence of the Russian Aggression. Outside of direct military confrontation between Russia and the West, economic sanctions and squeezing Russia dry is the only path forward. The Russian citizens are suffering the consequences brought forth by their Government, and it is on them and not the West where the fault of these sanctions lie.

Sakura

I don't know about that. I've seen non Ukraine government outlets report the snake island story for example. I've also seen plenty of outlets talk about Russia's losses, and all the equipment Russia has lost, but never mention how many Ukraine has actually lost. It's pretty clear non-Ukraine outlets are running PR for Ukraine too. I would agree it is not as bad as Russian PR though.

I don't think I've seen people doing their best to promote Russian victories as you say, and I understand that propaganda is important to the war effort.
I just think a lot of people are interested in the facts. They want to know what is actually going on. I don't think most people in the west want Ukraine to lose, but they are realists, and don't want to turn off their brains and eat up whatever they are told to cheer for the good guys.

Vestal

That first paragraph is… something. “This is about authoritarianism vs democracy” doesn’t really jive with “anyone who says something I don’t like is a traitor.” In fact, it sounds pretty authoritarian. Freedom for everyone who agrees with me is kind of the essence of authoritarianism.

Look. It shouldn’t even need to be said, but I don’t support Russia. I hope all their trucks and tanks break down, they go home, and Putin is removed from power today. But the amount of irrational fervor and righteous indignation floating around right now is concerning, especially in places of power where calm, deliberate leadership is most important. Hopefully the people in charge act differently behind the scenes than they do on Twitter.
Favoring the oppression brought forth by an Authoritarian government over a Democratic one is in my book the definition of a traitor of Democracy. Its clear cut as that.

RAÏSanÏa

Perfectly normal behavior for a rational Nation state.

With the army being left to die and dismissed it makes sense. This cabal doesn't care for lives only their bloodthirst.

Dismissed soldiers should organize and fight these evil fucks for Holy Russia and prove it still exists.

Last edited:

Loope

It's a bot that reposts Bloomberg headlines.

Its a bot account designed to pull directly from some news source. I forget which one. Its basically an instant update for headlines for stories that have not been posted to their website yet. Its why all the tweets are in all caps.

He copy and Paste stuff from the Blomberg Terminal (They get news before they are release to the public)
Theres also Zerohedge but he's on Russia Side
Ah ok, now i get it, it all seems so alarming and shit. Well i recognize it's a war, but every tweet in caps was strange to me ahhaha.

Favoring the oppression brought forth by an Authoritarian government over a Democratic one is in my book the definition of a traitor of Democracy. Its clear cut as that.
“Favoring” is kind of a loose term is all I am saying. People need to keep their heads. I guess on a message board, that’s not as important as it is other places, but it’s something society needs to remember. Mistakes are made when people get caught up in emotion and right now, mistakes come at a high cost.

Ah, so she's a good, honest, upstanding american, who never acted weird during the speech

Thanks for putting me straight 👍

She may have acted weird during a speech but that has no bearing on her being good, honest, or upstanding. Those are parallels you are conditioned to draw. I have no interest in discussing your opinion of Nancy Pelosi, but if you had watched the speech you would know why she was "excited".

RAÏSanÏa

Anyone justifying these forces that want to execute civilians after bombing their cities with artillery is a traitor or an imbecile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom