• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toots

Gold Member
I totally understand that propaganda is coming from both sides, but the Ukraine side at least has some non-Ukraine government outlets reporting things
So you understand but you don't understand at the same time ?
Just so you know, all government outlets are propaganda machines, that is par for the course.

Please keep cheering for one side as if we were in a video game, nobody's stopping you. Maybe refrain a bit from despising the other side (whom apart from a very small margin -look at the protests all over Russia- don't want that shitty war at all), for they suffer under putin a lot too.

Do not equate questioning the narrative to unconditionally supporting Russia, its dishonest and prohibits discussion. It's a discussion board, you must be able to accept others analysis of the situation. If you think these are wrong, explain why with more than "putin's best friend is here guys lets pile on him". No one is a putin's shill here there is only warmongers circlejerking and pouncing on any message they deem dissenting... Because it feels good to "righteously" hate someone and our leaders collectively (and globally) encourage it. It makes us easily controllable.

I think you'll really benefit from reading René Girard's "bouc émissaire" theory.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
She may have acted weird during a speech but that has no bearing on her being good, honest, or upstanding. Those are parallels you are conditioned to draw. I have no interest in discussing your opinion of Nancy Pelosi, but if you had watched the speech you would know why she was "excited".
When you look at the grand scheme of things then i'm sure we can both come to the conclusion that none of these arseholes have the slightest interest in us.

We just make them rich.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Yes, give the people who are against war weapons and send them to the side they want to protect. Would be funny if a lot of them joins Ukraine.

I have seen Russia say and do some seriously dumb shit these past two weeks.

This tops all of it.

Honestly any Westener posting supportive Russia stuff is a traitor in my book.. Sorry, at its core this is Democracy vs Authoritarianism, and the line in the sand can't be clearer than that.

Democracy is messy as shown time and time again, but its basic principals of freedom and self determination are the basic tenants of civilized society.

I'll refer once again to the quote from Winter on Fire(2013/14 Ukranian uprising)..

"For 23 years we only had our Independence on paper, now so many people have sacrificed their lives that it has become real"

Fuck man, I watched that doc yesterday. I swear all you GAF mofos were cutting way too many onions in the kitchen.

"Peacekeeping operation" btw

These ghouls are out of their minds.

The FSB (Federal Security Service) are like the modern Gestapo and Putin's right hand, personal death squad. A former FSB agent said something like that "they got people who would kill their own mother without a second's hesitation". The real kicker is that Putin himself used be the director of the FSB.

Putin is really aiming at becoming Stalin Jr.

Last edited:
When you look at the grand scheme of things then i'm sure we can both come to the conclusion that none of these arseholes have the slightest interest in us.

We just make them rich.

Looking at the grand scheme of things can lead to missing the forest for the trees. It's as important to look at the details, which is why I was focusing very specifically on your point, because you can't see the grand scheme of things without seeing the details. In this scenario those details are why you wanted to ask a question about Nancy Pelosi. Assuming and not understanding the grand scheme is exactly where that Youtuber wants you. Asking questions, and also following through with them, will expose them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Get rid of that shit, i tried it once, one blew up on the freeway with only 100 kms on it. fuck that.
Tires as a whole are shit.

All these tires saying they last 100,000km or whatever is totally BS. I've never had tires last more than 40,000km without balding. And it's not like I drive crazy. I just drive like a normal person. There's no way they'd last another 60,000.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Another high ranking Russian killed

This is big news. Losing a General Officer in a war is a major deal. The US lost one in 9/11 when the pentagon was attacked, and the last one in a war was in Vietnam in a helicopter crash. When you lose the highest commanding officer that can decimate a unit. It depends on what the Sgt and NCO are like, but as of right now I don't think the Russian army is prepared for these types of loses. I don't think it will stop Russia, it will slow them down, but in all areas Russia is still winning, they are just achieving their objectives more slowly.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Looking at the grand scheme of things can lead to missing the forest for the trees. It's as important to look at the details, which is why I was focusing very specifically on your point, because you can't see the grand scheme of things without seeing the details. In this scenario those details are why you wanted to ask a question about Nancy Pelosi. Assuming and not understanding the grand scheme is exactly where that Youtuber wants you. Asking questions, and also following through with them, will expose them.

I thought youtubers wanted you to visit there videos for over 10 minutes so that the add revenue would allow them not to work and instead live off twitter reposting with hot takes.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

"they got people who would kill their own mother without a second's hesitation".
My spiritual thought about this barbaric thinking is they don't understand that everyone has this in their nature. Those that control it do so by the presence of mind fortified by moral authority conveyed by the architecture of eternal life.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Question about Russia’s Dead Hand nuke system which fires the nukes automatically if it detects a nuclear strike on russian soil - how does it know which country to target? The wiki just mentions analyzing light, seismic activity, radiation, etc… Does it just send nukes all over the world?

Loope

Tires as a whole are shit.

All these tires saying they last 100,000km or whatever is totally BS. I've never had tires last more than 40,000km without balding. And it's not like I drive crazy. I just drive like a normal person. There's no way they'd last another 60,000.
I meant 100 kms and not 100 000 kms. Chinese tires, no more for me. Usually good brands last me 40000kms to 50000 kms

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just so you know, all government outlets are propaganda machines, that is par for the course.

Please keep cheering for one side as if we were in a video game, nobody's stopping you. Maybe refrain a bit from despising the other side (whom apart from a very small margin -look at the protests all over Russia- don't want that shitty war at all), for they suffer under putin a lot too.

Do not equate questioning the narrative to unconditionally supporting Russia, its dishonest and prohibits discussion. It's a discussion board, you must be able to accept others analysis of the situation. If you think these are wrong, explain why with more than "putin's best friend is here guys lets pile on him". No one is a putin's shill here there is only warmongers circlejerking and pouncing on any message they deem dissenting... Because it feels good to "righteously" hate someone and our leaders collectively (and globally) encourage it. It makes us easily controllable.

I think you'll really benefit from reading René Girard's "bouc émissaire" theory.
Maybe you should read and respond to the last sentence in my post instead of cutting it off.

Hari Seldon

RE: conscripting protestors:

But remember guys! The West isn’t perfect either. We’ve all done some bad stuff so let’s try to understand if these grievances are legitimate or not…

The amount of Russian shilling on the gaming side is actually surprising to me. Maybe because I don't spend enough time over there but honestly it is shocking that so many people support this shit.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
So what exactly are you getting at? Are you saying it's wrong to question fraud at the top? Wrong to question whats driving these people? Wrong to question the motives to this whole operation?

What exactly?

DrAspirino

Banned

But remember guys! The West isn’t perfect either. We’ve all done some bad stuff so let’s try to understand if these grievances are legitimate or not…

Tell me about it, when my country in the 70s was sabotagged by the Nixon admin. and Kissinger. Heck, Nixon himself said "let's make Chile's economy scream".

"The west" has acted on latin american and african countries no different than Russia is acting now with Ukraine. What would've happened if the CIA didn't meddle with latin american countries internal affairs in the 60s and 70s? would latin america still be considered part of "the west"? would we be "the baddies"?

Nobody_Important

Question about Russia’s Dead Hand nuke system which fires the nukes automatically if it detects a nuclear strike on russian soil - how does it know which country to target? The wiki just mentions analyzing light, seismic activity, radiation, etc… Does it just send nukes all over the world?
If it's the system that I'm thinking of that thing is almost entirely just for show and is not actually used. With the number of possible glitches, false readings, and just general unreliability of Russian technology there is no way in the world that anyone would allow a nuclear arsenal to be run by a program alone.

Someone somewhere still has to push a button or turn a key. Let us all pray that person has the balls to not do it.

Thaedolus

So what exactly are you getting at? Are you saying it's wrong to question fraud at the top? Wrong to question whats driving these people? Wrong to question the motives to this whole operation?

What exactly?
One of the stupidest sayings of all time is “there are no stupid questions.”

There’s a whole industry out there meant to make people ask stupid questions.

What exactly?

You weren't questioning anything apart from why she was excited, which i guess has been answered or you have just forgotten or are ignoring it. You are now jumping off into a range of topics that probably flow in your head because you're convinced these things are connected but they are non sequiturs. As I said you should ask and follow through with your questions but you couldn't do that with the only question you did ask.

RAÏSanÏa

Tell me about it, when my country in the 70s was sabotagged by the Nixon admin. and Kissinger. Heck, Nixon himself said "let's make Chile's economy scream".
As the Indigenous people in Canada get told: "Those people are long dead."
Not that some of it hasn't seeped down and repression remain, BUT it is better than it was in the 70s where a person could run over an "indian" and only have to report it so someone could scrape them off the road.

Last edited:

chromhound

Gold Member

Just dig in, and hold the line for another 4 weeks.

The only way Ukraine win this war is that Russia runs out of money and people starts to riot. Maybe someone from the gouvernement takes out Putin. Someone gotta take one for the team lol

Last edited:

Did you know that CIA trained the Brazilian military how to use dogs to rape people during interrogation?
From the way you are saying this it looks like you are fine with that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just dig in, and hold the line for another 4 weeks.
The longer it goes just hurts the average Russian citizen more. So if Russia does eventually take over Ukraine as all the other countries sit back, it'll be a win for Russian politicians and military, but a giant loss for the general public.

No matter what kind of PR government tries to do the people know deep down Putin is wrong and things are going haywire. People lining up at ATMs drawing money on day one like it's their last $100 in their wallet goes to show the people there know their economy and livelihood just went back in time 30 years. That's the type of shit you only see from dirt poor countries who are in default.

Nobody_Important

Honestly at this point it looks like the plan all along was to just take that airfield and then just fly in everything that they needed. And going off the confused as hell responses and supply issues after that I don't think they ever had a backup plan.

The Russians just thought that Ukraine was going to roll over and never actually planned on ways to keep their army supplied in case the attack on the airfield failed.

RAÏSanÏa

Honestly at this point it looks like the plan all along was to just take that airfield and then just fly in everything that they needed. And going off the confused as hell responses and supply issues after that I don't think they ever had a backup plan.

The Russians just thought that Ukraine was going to roll over and never actually planned on ways to keep their army supplied in case the attack on the airfield failed.
Also seemed to be expecting everyone to pretend it's not happening like Crimea, Georgia, their infiltration and attempts to destabilize democracy.

What they didn't expect in this regard was that people did notice, were taking names, analyzing and preparing. They thought people were oblivious. Oh, how the turntables!

chromhound

Gold Member
Hey man you leave Value Select alone, he does it for the art form.
lV4itgc.jpg

akimbo009

Gold Member
“Favoring” is kind of a loose term is all I am saying. People need to keep their heads. I guess on a message board, that’s not as important as it is other places, but it’s something society needs to remember. Mistakes are made when people get caught up in emotion and right now, mistakes come at a high cost.

What costs are those? This has a weird threat vibe that favors Russian aggression. Like, if people get pissed that Russians are murdering civilians it might too heated and then someone will have to teach them a lesson? Only country flying off the handle is Russia. If anything, Putin may end up provoking further economic action that will further hurt their economy and people. He doesn't give a shit of course, so I don't know what your veiled "high cost" comment implies.

Meh, I do see someone coming to defense of Putin by the long way around via "just asking questions" as supporting it. It's rare there is such obvious and overt bad behavior as what we are seeing that you can actually be right when you're unequivocally condemning Russia's aggression here. In fact, Putin isn't even trying to put up any coy pretext to it beyond. It's naked aggression, so sense in lecturing people when they respond accordingly.

Isn’t Russia part of opec now? So is it possible Putin thinks after this war is done, whatever the end result is, some sanctions will be lifted so EU countries can start the flow of Russian natural gas and oil to them? For example how long can Germany take the huge increases in their energy costs, wasn’t half of their energy supply russian gas / oil?

Gp1

That first Hostomel airborne assault should solve the conflict for Russia. The backup plan is what we are seeing today.

The only way Ukraine win this war is that Russia runs out of money and people starts to riot. Maybe someone from the gouvernement takes out Putin. Someone gotta take one for the team lol

Or the russian that lives paycheck to paycheck runs out of money. Which are 2 different things...

Last edited:
Couple things that are interconnected:

Russia returns to Gold Standard.

Saudi Arabia to put more into China and less US (related to how China is getting business from Russia and now this strengthens their hand)

A reminder to not completely take your eyes off Taiwan

Simply reminders that we may be feeling a tighter crunch in our collective wallets in the near-future.

Also ran into this, make as you will.
Video - Gab - Said to be Russians providing humanitarian aid in Ukrainian towns

Isn’t Russia part of opec now? So is it possible Putin thinks after this war is done, whatever the end result is, some sanctions will be lifted so EU countries can start the flow of Russian natural gas and oil to them? For example how long can Germany take the huge increases in their energy costs, wasn’t half of their energy supply russian gas / oil?

it's still an unplayed bargaining chip at the moment, Russia is happy to provide it and Germany is happy to take it

at any point it can be used to force the issue, with either Russia cutting off/inflating the price or Germany taking the financial burden/resourcing elsewhere

Wildebeest

The west was trading with Russia for energy during the height of the Cold War, so I imagine so. Very interesting history there, but perhaps a little POLITICAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom