• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Reagan is the last great American president, after that nothing but bunch of pussies and dumbasses
I dont know anything about Reagan. Was too young. But the one thing I read up on later in life was when he played hardball and fired air traffic controllers. Insane. Reading up on it later, it seems that event really followed around the fired people as they'd get blacklisted trying to get an air traffic job later.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Man... I am having difficulty staying focused. Elden ring gets me very very angry and it shouldn't. I love it...
I am just noticing I have a hard time not thinking about the end of fucking europe going on.
I am in Poland on the North. I live near a very big city and if something happens, my city will be one of first to go.
And once there is no electricity or anything, there is no food shopping, no water. Nothing. just like in Ukraine now.
I work 2km away, I bicycle to my work. It's a big international company so they will gtfo if something bad happens...
I am not even sure what to do? I already have all my data backed up so I can grab the hdd if I have to go. But what about documents? what about money if there was no work? where would I escape? I don't even have any abroad family to run away to.

Nico_D

Man... I am having difficulty staying focused. Elden ring gets me very very angry and it shouldn't. I love it...
I am just noticing I have a hard time not thinking about the end of fucking europe going on.
I am in Poland on the North. I live near a very big city and if something happens, my city will be one of first to go.
And once there is no electricity or anything, there is no food shopping, no water. Nothing. just like in Ukraine now.
I work 2km away, I bicycle to my work. It's a big international company so they will gtfo if something bad happens...
I am not even sure what to do? I already have all my data backed up so I can grab the hdd if I have to go. But what about documents? what about money if there was no work? where would I escape? I don't even have any abroad family to run away to.

Better not let imagination and fears take too much control. I've been thinking that kind of thoughts too and it's pretty pointless. And I'm pretty much in the same situation as you are. I live about 10 kilometers from Russian border. I wouldn't worry too much.

Of course you'll go to Germany if shit hits the fan. And if Putlers troops fuck Germany, we'll go to France together. And if Putler ruins our frog soup, we'll go to Spain. And then to Portugal. I hope Biden has evacuation ships ready at the coast by then.

But don't worry, the first couple millions spent by the German goverment for security and defense are already showing results:
FMF8hIiaQAEjV0G.jpg

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
bro if you just accept that you are already dead, then you can enjoy Elden Ring. Misery loves company.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That sucks. Hopefully it doesn't spread.

My work emailed out a donation drive to support Ukraine. I already told I'm donating. Maybe send over a couple hundred bucks. Wont move the needle in the grand scheme of things, but I'll do it. Last time I donated to a good cause was to the Fort McMurray fire.

Considering your location, is your area going to have lots of Ukraine refugees?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Better not let imagination and fears take too much control. I've been thinking that kind of thoughts too and it's pretty pointless. And I'm pretty much in the same situation as you are. I live about 10 kilometers from Russian border. I wouldn't worry too much.
But we should be able to prepare somehow? Prepare some escape package? What even should be in it? my bank account number, mortgage, hdd with my data?
Should we have some money in cash withdrawn? In what currency...

Ok. i better chill

edit: funny thing - I work in a huge company that makes defence systems (like anti rocket and so on lol). My own department of course has nothing t do with it

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But we should be able to prepare somehow? Prepare some escape package? What even should be in it? my bank account number, mortgage, hdd with my data?

Ok. i better chill

edit: funny thing - I work in a huge company that makes defence systems (like anti rocket and so on lol). My own department of course has nothing t do with it
It is always good to prepare, have a game plan, etc.. The average person is just 7 meals away from total anarchy.

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I remember reading articles before the war started people said it was for a resource grab and Ukraine is it. I dont know anything about Ukraine, but it makes sense. If they got tons of resources and it's all ready to go with people and infrastructure, it's the perfect land grab vs. Russia extracting resources from their gigantic land mass building more infrastructure in isolated places.
The thing is, they're untapped resources and Ukraine doesn't really have the capability to tap into them without outside investors. So to some extent it's enough for Russia to simply make the area undesirable to these investors and save themselves from having to compete, whether or not they actually tap them themselves.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I can't speak for everyone, but you're always welcome in the states. Right now we have a drought on the west coast, but that's about the worst of it where I live now with covid coming to an end. The cost of living is bonkers but you can earn as well as you can spend from my experience. But I'd rather you not lose your country. It will probably escalate to NATO ground troops and more if Putin invades Poland. I don't know why we didn't draw the line before Ukraine, but here we are 😑

Last edited:

Nico_D

Preparing for the worst can also be a permission to yourself to expect the worst. Besides, you guys are in Nato, you are safe. And even if you weren't in Nato, I personally see it extremely unlikely they would continue anywhere from Ukraine. To me that seems nigh impossible both politically and economically.

The most bizarre thing in a week already too bizarre to be believed is that Dutch anti-vaxxers, lead by the now infamous Willem Engel, have decided (mere days after all restrictive measures that were supposed to herald the new world order were lifted) that the best way to spend their time now is to support the Putin regime.
To add more to the irony, Putin statement about winning Ukraine was to place a new world order himself XD.

I dont know anything about Reagan. Was too young. But the one thing I read up on later in life was when he played hardball and fired air traffic controllers. Insane. Reading up on it later, it seems that event really followed around the fired people as they'd get blacklisted trying to get an air traffic job later.

Reagan is charismatic, articulate, bold, and straight to the face. He exudes confidence. His personality dominates Gorbachev's. They met many times. And he's the dominant alpha.

Leaders we have today are nothing like him. Today's Western leaders are nothing but puppets of the big corporations (FYI, JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs are already buying cheap Russian bonds, they're trying to make profits already and in essence they're supporting Russian ruble and the oligarches)

JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs are already buying cheap Russian bonds, they're trying to make profits already and in essence they're supporting Russian ruble

The one true leader we have right now is defending his country in Kyiv

Last edited:
I wish I could do something to help you. Hell, wish I could do something to help every innocent getting fucked by all this bullshit.

Stay strong, friend.

LimanimaPT

I'm in the place in Europe that's farthest away from this war and I'm scared to hell with this nuclear power plants shit. I can't imagine how you guys are feeling.

Kimahri

Banned
When you got the amount of absolutely delusional and mindboggling laws Russia has imposed, its not a surprise they have gotten away with it. Their dissenters and critics are silenced, intimidated, or punished for standing up to the authoritarian regime.

So, as such they have large control over the message they broadcast to the population. Most fail to realize its propaganda because they likely don't question the authority. Its either "accept" the narrative or suffer the consequences for going against it.
I'm not talking about the censorship in Russia. I'm talking about Putin and his goons lying in the UN, lying to prime ministers and other officials, acting like they're peaceful and not doing anything wrong, thinking anyonr is stupid enough to believe their bullshit.

As in, people outside Russia.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Reagan is charismatic, articulate, bold, and straight to the face. He exudes confidence. His personality dominates Gorbachev's. They met many times. And he's the dominant alpha.

Leaders we have today are nothing like him. Today's Western leaders are nothing but puppets of the big corporations (FYI, JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs are already buying cheap Russian bonds, they're trying to make profits already and in essence they're supporting Russian ruble and the oligarches)

JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs are already buying cheap Russian bonds, they're trying to make profits already and in essence they're supporting Russian ruble

I want to too. But I dont do bonds. I just buy stocks like a regular guy.

When some of the Russian stocks on US exchanges get unhalted, I might roll the dice and buy like 50,000 shares at a penny or two (if it drops that bad like London stocks). Put up $500 or $1000 and see if they survive. If they go belly up, I'm only out a grand.

But if they can withstand the hammering and rebound to $1. That's $50k.

Last edited:

Nico_D

I'm in the place in Europe that's farthest away from this war and I'm scared to hell with this nuclear power plants shit. I can't imagine how you guys are feeling.

I guess we all handle it in our own way. Some are hysterical but if it wasn't this, then they would be hysterical about something else, climate change or covid. For example, my Facebook is very easy going, there's barely any posts about the war or about Russia. Getting stressed or anxious about something I can't change is pointless. I trust our government knows what they are doing and I'll live my life as it is - I won't waste it away worrying about something that hasn't happened and may never happen. But that's just me, people react in different ways.

The fire in the nuclear plant seems to be under control too.

BigBooper

Ok. i better chill

Seems like a good idea to reasonably prepare. Backpack with a change of clothes and bottled water.

chaseroni

I don't understand the propaganda. Russian people apparently do not believe that they started a war on ukraine. They dont believe russians are bombing and killing.
Like wtf. You fucking old fools. There is internet and free access to any information. It's not north korea. But these old assholes only look at the Tv. I know, it;s the same in Poland
Idk man I have friends in St. Petersburg and they are not buying it..
At least the young ones anyways. They're fully aware of the lies they are being fed

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't understand the propaganda. Russian people apparently do not believe that they started a war on ukraine. They dont believe russians are bombing and killing.
Like wtf. You fucking old fools. There is internet and free access to any information. It's not north korea. But these old assholes only look at the Tv. I know, it;s the same in Poland
There's a lot of old school people who rely on newspapers and tv. My 80 year old parents are this way. They arent going to watch YT videos or read Twitter to see real time news from anyone from around the world.

As for anyone who uses tech in Russia. Considering everything is getting locked down and banned and the ruble is crashing should already be a sign. You wouldnt even have to read one tweet seeing Russian solders invading Ukraine to know something fishy is going on by the gov.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the censorship in Russia. I'm talking about Putin and his goons lying in the UN, lying to prime ministers and other officials, acting like they're peaceful and not doing anything wrong, thinking anyonr is stupid enough to believe their bullshit.

As in, people outside Russia.

They're probably aware it doesn't add up.

As for the Russians? Maybe its an act to stick to the narrative to not lose face.

QSD

One thing that kind of bothers me about this alpha man narrative is what would have happened if RR had another 'alpha' opposing him as Soviet secretary general. We'd all be in caves, reminiscing about the good times.

Maybe we should go for the total bullcrap that's vaguely plausibly deniable too. Maybe we can send in a squad of those killer robot dogs that those robotics companies keep posting videos of. When Russia says that we are attacking them we'll tell them that the dogs unexpectedly developed consciousness and decided to attack Putin of their own accord.

Kimahri

Banned
They're probably aware it doesn't add up.

As for the Russians? Maybe its an act to stick to the narrative to not lose face.
Which is why I wonder if they're really that stupid. Everyone knows they're lying through their teeth, yet they keep repeating the same old lies over and over and over again like we're a bunch of gullible idiots.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I'd like to think the last "great" American president want the racist piece of shit Reagan.
You know history is kind of a mess. Our presidents have mostly all been deeply flawed and sometimes corrupt people. We probably just didn't have the same social hovering and detail-tracking we have today. I used to look up to Teddy Roosevelt for example, esp. for what he did for national parks, monuments, and preserves. But the man had a notorious and deep-rooted hate of Native Americans at times as well. Do I now throw out everything good he ever did? No, but I don't often get in the line of president worship like some.

I did once go to the traveling Abraham Lincoln musuem though. I stood there and read the many law books and other textbooks he wrote from the glass cased windows. I would say a good majority of what he wrote is so quotable and on a level of education/intellect I rarely find in any leader anymore. What he said was powerful and resonated with truth. I would recommend it to anyone. As for the whole man, I couldn't tell you. I know some despise the man for many things.

One thing that kind of bothers me about this alpha man narrative is what would have happened if RR had another 'alpha' opposing him as Soviet secretary general. We'd all be in caves, reminiscing about the good times.

In the world, where there's still so many dictators/invaders (evil alpha) we still need the good alpha males to stand up against these evils

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

You're in Poland, right?

What do the Polish think of this? I was speaking to my sister in-law yesterday and fuck me.......I had to walk away from the laptop before I said something I'd regret. I knew my some of my wife's family were very conservative, but her views were just plain xenophobic. These people are fleeing war. They didn't ask to leave their homes and come to Poland, but my wife's sister was just concerned that these refugees are going to get free housing and take jobs from Polish people..... fucking hell.

Please tell me my suka of a sister in-law is a minority.

ManaByte

Gold Member

That wasn't just it. They also massively out-spent Russia in an arms race the Soviets couldn't win.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You're in Poland, right?

What do the Polish think of this? I was speaking to my sister in-law yesterday and fuck me.......I had to walk away from the laptop before I said something I'd regret. I knew my some of my wife's family were very conservative, but her views were just plain xenophobic. These people are fleeing war. They didn't ask to leave their homes and come to Poland, but my wife's sister was just concerned that these refugees are going to get free housing and take jobs from Polish people..... fucking hell.

Polish people are afraid that nobody will come help us when it's time. Not Nato, eu, nobody despite promises.

And You sister in-law.... she sounds like a piece. Mostly only older people and nationalists are like that. Me and I hope most other Poles are friendly.
But I do have to objectively say this - I think my country is largely racist and looking down on everyone else from the east or south. Polish people hate lgbt, black people and eastern people... and still don't like germans because of ww2 despite it being almost a centur ago lol.
Even at my work - there are still some people who will point ot lgbt person or black person in the crown and say some stupid comment to collegue... it's really embarrasing and I dont keep company like that.

thuGG_pl

You're in Poland, right?

I'm also from Poland, basically everywhere I see people support Ukraine and Ukrainian people. We greeted ~ 600 000 refugees by now and there is mobilization across the country to help Ukrainians.
Many charities/fundraisers were created, fuckton of money was raised, people accept refugees to their homes, some share their appartments. That's what I see on my FB feed mainly. Me and my wife also donated good amount of money.
Don't believe the rumours, I mean sure, probably somewhere some incidents happened or something. But 99.9% Ukrainians get full support.
Also basically everyone hates on Putin, and we are cheering at every good news coming from Ukrainian military.

EDIT: Also Mr President Zelensky became a hero over a few days, everyone is cheering on him and jokes about how big balls he's got.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
I have been in deployments in Poland for 6 months in 2016 part of OP Reassurance and the army from there is not ready for that kind of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom