• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionian

You think Trump would have done anything to stop this 🤣🤣🤣

Trump made a deal and said they were fine! Totally fine. Lovely Putin. A good man, very good man.

Christ I wish he wasn't banned off Twitter, would love to see him try to backtrack now. I'm sure people are falling over themselves laughing (again) at his stupidity, now, yet again. What a president.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I have been just sitting at my desk checking everything that I can for the last 45 minutes or so and I am just speechless at the level of just complete disregard for human life that Russia is displaying with this.

I mean we are seeing reports of explosions in cities that hold millions of people inside them. I'm already off tomorrow because of the winter storms that are coming through Texas at the moment so I think I'm just going to stay up pour myself a few drinks and just watch the second worst case scenario unfold.

It's not very often that you actually get to see history unfold live. Even if it is just a terrible history.

Xenon

I have been just sitting at my desk checking everything that I can for the last 45 minutes or so and I am just speechless at the level of just complete disregard for human life that Russia is displaying with this.

I mean we are seeing reports of explosions in cities that hold millions of people inside them. I'm already off tomorrow because of the winter storms that are coming through Texas at the moment so I think I'm just going to stay up pour myself a few drinks and just watch the second worst case scenario unfold.

It's not very often that you actually get to see history unfold live. Even if it is just a terrible history.

While the rest of the world was focused on a Twitter war Russia was planning for a real one

O-N-E

Trump made a deal and said they were fine! Totally fine. Lovely Putin. A good man, very good man.

Christ I wish he wasn't banned off Twitter, would love to see him try to backtrack now. I'm sure people are falling over themselves laughing (again) at his stupidity, now, yet again. What a president.

>Biden’s in office
>It’s Trump’s fault even though no-one dared do shit while he’s in office

zcaa0g

Banned
Trumps' unpredictability was undeniable, but there's just as much chance he'd have sent Putin an bunch of flowers for attacking Ukraine, as put hard sanctions against him. Obama and Biden are/were weak, but Trump could have done far worse.

But, as stated, the entire American political system has failed so hard that this is has been allowed to happen. We need a USA more concerned with geopolitical stability, than religion and gender fluidity.

I disagree regarding Trump. While his words were smh at times regarding Putin, his actions were very different regarding 52 sanctions on Russia that Biden undid last year and he also strongly and publicly criticized Merkel for proceeding with the Nordstream 2 and a series of bombings in Syria that Putin was NOT happy about.

It wasn't coincidence that Putin acted when Obama was in office and now Biden. This is simply history repeating itself.

As it is said in many forms...

"Those who ignore the lessons of history, are doomed to repeat them."

O-N-E

I disagree regarding Trump. While his words were smh at times regarding Putin, his actions were very different regarding 52 sanctions on Russia that Biden undid last year and he also strongly and publicly criticized Merkel for proceeding with the Nordstream 2 and a series of bombings in Syria that Putin was NOT happy about.

It wasn't coincidence that Putin acted when Obama was in office and now Biden. This is simply history repeating itself.

Buh buh buh but Trump!

Airbus Jr

Banned
The UN should implement severe punisment for russia man

Ban international trades and russia company activities

Import and export activities with russia must be put onhold

Last edited:

People seem to have insurmountable amount of trust in russian military to not hit any civilians as they are standing around or strolling on the streets without any care when their country is on attack. It's bizzare.

This is in capital live:

zcaa0g

Banned

I just sit here thinking, it's 2022 and we're still doing shit like this? Haven't we learned anything? Haven't we moved beyond shit like this? Nope, at least Putin hasn't anyway.

FunkMiller

I'll absolutely agree that the Trump administration's policy towards Russia was on better ground than Obama's or Biden's, but I will point out that the Trump administration also did nothing to clip Putin's wings in the four years it was in power. Too many American politicians of all stripes with their fat fucking fingers in too many pies that also benefitted Putin's regime. And Trump was one of them, I have no doubt.

There really is no point in Dems or Reps trying to score points off one another on this subject. Both sides are as abjectly responsible for this shit show as the other.

Last edited:
US and EU are now going to sanction Belarus

You know what ....FUCK ALL THESE STUPID GODDAMN SANCTIONS!!! it didn't work, and it won't work. they only impoverish and punish the people. it only make them more desperate and got nothing to lose for their future.

It didn't work with Hitler, it won't work now

Fare thee well

Neophyte
The world continues with it's best effort to be a depressing place. I can't point fingers though. My country has invaded another country almost every decade.

I'm sorry for all the good people that will die. We're all just trying to carve out our lives and find our joy, but at the end of the day we are all run by sociopaths, hypocrites, and power seekers. Keep up your fight to be a good person amongst your fellow human beings, and never let that die.

Last edited:

You know what ....FUCK ALL THESE STUPID GODDAMN SANCTIONS!!! it didn't work, and it won't work. they only impoverish and punish the people. it only make them more desperate and got nothing to lose for their future.

So, what do you want them to do? Direct conflict? Are you crazy?

People seem to have insurmountable amount of trust in russian military to not hit any civilians as they are standing around or strolling on the streets without any care when their country is on attack. It's bizzare.

This is in capital live:

I've said the same and it's surreal.

Also about as surreal as Zelensky downplaying this for the past few weeks and this happens. So he's either incompetent, out of his depth or in a Shyamalan like twist let them in.

FunkMiller

They have to sanction the right people.

FunkMiller

Have any military experts or analysts given their opinions on what the endgame for Russia is with this invasion? Is it territorial expansion? Is it to establish a Russian government in Ukraine? Is it something else?

I'd like to hear that too. 200,000 troops is not enough to take over a country of 40 million. I can only imagine his endgame depends on western reaction.

Gp1

Have any military experts or analysts given their opinions on what the endgame for Russia is with this invasion? Is it territorial expansion? Is it to establish a Russian government in Ukraine? Is it something else?

Read the entire thread

Last edited:
Force the creation of a buffer zone would be my guess. Install a puppet government and call it a day.

zcaa0g

Banned
I'll absolutely agree that the Trump administration's policy towards Russia was on better ground than Obama's or Biden's, but I will point out that the Trump administration also did nothing to clip Putin's wings in the four years it was in power. Too many American politicians of all stripes with their fat fucking fingers in too many pies that also benefitted Putin's regime. And Trump was one of them, I have no doubt.

There really is no point in Dems or Reps trying to score points off one another on this subject. Both sides are as abjectly responsible for this shit show as the other.

Fair enough and thanks for the rational discussion. Of course we have to ask, what specific action/s did Putin take in those 4 years that warranted going beyond those sanctions?

Certainly nothing worth going to war for because both countries and several countries engage in cyber warfare to varying degrees.

As far as election interference, while two wrongs don't make a right, it's not like my home country hasn't ever engaged in such tactics. It's really standard fare.

I just hope that father time will catch up to Putin real soon. While his successor may not be any better, there is always the hope they will be far less intelligent or far more reserved in the level if aggression. I'm being optimistic there though.

E-Cat

The saying goes that in Russia, a pack of cigarettes is worth more than a man's life.

Cyberpunkd

Putin was always a bad hombre, but le great, great president managed to control him! Look what happens with Grandpa Biden on the job? Terrible, terrible things. Big explosions!

Cyberpunkd

It’s always been this way. Contrary to popular belief Russians are very Asian in this regard.
Japanese and killing of PoW, the great famine in China and Great Leap Forward, Stalin’s actions towards Ukraine in the 1930s, it’s all part of the same pattern.

I bet getting Antonov under Russian control is on the list.

Hari Seldon

It is a population play. Russia is a 3rd rate power with a stockpile of 1st rate power weaponry. In order to keep up with the US and China long term they need more people and more economic power.

FunkMiller

Not that Putin gives much of a shit, but the MOEX has been suspended after absolutely fucking tanking.

He's going to impoverish his country for a patch of land he won't hold onto for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom