• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Have you never seen journalists speak with American soldiers? Are they US state media embedded? Journalists go to war zones all the time, it's their job.
"State media" has a specific meaning, which is that the media outlet is owned and controlled by the government.

MrMephistoX

Not likely. Didn’t the US/NATO bomb a Chinese embassy in the 90s on accident? Whoopsie. Nothing happened
Big difference is Xi Jin Ping being a wildcard and the alliance with Russia now though. Jiang Zemin was a relatively benign Chairman who peacefully transferred power when his term was up unlike Winnie the Pooh. IDK probably nothing would happen but you never know how it will get spun…fun fact China does allow protests as long as it’s against a foreign target.

Thaedolus

Big difference is Xi Jin Ping being a wildcard and the alliance with Russia now though. Jiang Zemin was a relatively benign Chairman who peacefully transferred power when his term was up unlike Winnie the Pooh. IDK probably nothing would happen but you never know how it will get spun…fun fact China does allow protests as long as it’s against a foreign target.
I could see China using some sort of incident as a fake pretext for something they were already going to do, but I don't think they want to self immolate their economy the way Putin foolishly did, so I just doubt they have much desire to give a shit about journalists.

QSD

It's probably been noted before in this thread but especially when looking at all these companies suspending their business in Russia, I've been thinking that in a way we've deployed the 21st centuries most controversial weapon, namely cancel culture, in a way that seems remarkably uncontroversial.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It's probably been noted before in this thread but especially when looking at all these companies suspending their business in Russia, I've been thinking that in a way we've deployed the 21st centuries most controversial weapon, namely cancel culture, in a way that seems remarkably uncontroversial.
Does coke have local manufacturing in Russia? So now they could nationalize it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Coca-Cola and Starbucks were giving them periodic breaks from the vodka.
Pshah!

As if you never heard of the Stolichino and vod & coke. Wait... maybe that's a different coke?

Russian Food GIF by CBC

speckz

PepsiCo Inc, the multinational food, snack, and beverage corporation, has just announced that they will also be suspending all sales in Russia, joining a number of Western companies who have announced similar decisions today.

Cyberpunkd

And I say: FK Turkey. I guess they will never join UE now.
They were never going to join anyway. It's a country of 84mln people, the money required to lift them up would be insane. In the last 20 years Poland was the largest country at 39mln, then Romania at 20mln. That is not even mentioning impossible reforms and willingness of Turks to give back part of their decision-making to Brussels.

Turkey is on another scale.

MrMephistoX

Pshah!

As if you never heard of the Stolichino and vod & coke. Wait... maybe that's a different coke?

Russian Food GIF by CBC
Now your only choices are Tito’s and Suntory everything else with a vaguely Russian sounding name is cancelled ;)

At least until China invades Taiwan and idiots boycott not only Japanese vodka but Toyota and Hyundai.
(Note to the humorless : I know those are Japanese and Korean brands that’s the joke)

Last edited:

speckz

Russian central bank restricts withdrawals

The bank has announced that citizens with foreign currency accounts will not be allowed to withdraw more than $10,000 (£7,632) until 9 September.

Regardless of which foreign currency clients have in their accounts, withdrawals will be paid in US dollars, it added.

The biolabs in Ukraine bit has been upgraded to biological research facilities.

Edit: The person speaking in this clip is Victoria Nuland.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

If the emergence of cancel culture in the last few years has led to this domino tumbling of companies cutting off Russia, then it’s all been entirely worth it. Let’s hope it continues. Everything out of Russia. Everything.

Reactions: QSD

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

RT should be giveaway, but I guess it's not enough.

FunkMiller

Stop spreading Chinese and Russian disinformation. Nuland is talking about infectious disease facilities. There are no US bio-weapon labs in Ukraine. Fuck’s sake. This is from RT for crying out loud 😂

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member

Having Mcdonalds close up shop is pretty much like the Waffle House Index of war.

Of course:

Stop spreading Chinese and Russian disinformation. Nuland is talking about infectious disease facilities. There are no US bio-weapon labs in Ukraine. Fuck’s sake. This is from RT for crying out loud 😂

A video that has our Ambassador stating that there are facilities present that are of concern enough to warrant "keeping out of Russian hands". The wording itself of "biological research facilities" along with your "infectious disease facilities" is a red flag as those are type of faciliities not ones we want to fuck with or have close as all it takes is one screw up to make the last two years look like a happy picnic.

QSD

If the emergence of cancel culture in the last few years has led to this domino tumbling of companies cutting off Russia, then it’s all been entirely worth it. Let’s hope it continues. Everything out of Russia. Everything.
Well this is a level of cancellation SJW's could hitherto only dream about. But it has got me thinking that all those arguments about it were never really about the validity of the method (since apparently under certain circumstances almost everyone thinks it's a valid tool) but rather just the specific reasons.

FunkMiller

A video that has our Ambassador stating that there are facilities present that are of concern enough to warrant "keeping out of Russian hands". The wording itself of "biological research facilities" along with your "infectious disease facilities" is a red flag as those are type of faciliities not ones we want to fuck with or have close as all it takes is one screw up to make the last two years look like a happy picnic.

No. You’re making shit up. You have zero evidence of this. Infectious disease facilities are a thing all over the world, because we have infectious diseases. It isn’t some lab developing the fucking T-Virus 😂

And all you’re doing is posting bullshit that’s been designed to justify Putin’s actions. Your desire to entertain conspiracy theories about top secret genetically engineered bio-weapons is helping Vladimir Putin, and hurting the effort against him.

Liljagare

Looking at how things have developed in Europe the last 30 years, I would think that most of the Green parties really need to be looked at.

In most nations they were all for downsizing the military (because Russia isn't aggressive anymore), stopping nuclear evolution, and suggesting that LNG from Russia is something that isn't so bad (because Russia are friendly to the west now), until you develop renewable energy. Meanwhile, we can also see huge investors paying money to the green parties, from Russia.

(Thorium reactors, with a gen 5 sub plant, is there really anything more green and safe than that?)

Last edited:

BigBooper

No. You’re making shit up. You have zero evidence of this. Infectious disease facilities are a thing all over the world, because we have infectious diseases. It isn’t some lab developing the fucking T-Virus 😂

And all you’re doing is posting bullshit that’s been designed to justify Putin’s actions. Your desire to entertain conspiracy theories about top secret genetically engineered bio-weapons is helping Vladimir Putin, and hurting the effort against him.
Please post the evidence of what these facilities really are. That'd shut the conspiracies up.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

Gotta develop the next Covid like disease somewhere so the Fauch can get back on TV.

FunkMiller

Please post the evidence of what these facilities really are. That'd shut the conspiracies up.

Sigh. Much point? I can point to articles and reports from respectable media outlets, but they’ll just be dismissed as the evil mainstream media warping stuff to suit the agenda. Whereas randoms on Twitter, RT, Sputnik and other Russian propaganda outfits are perfectly believable, because they’re not scared to tell the truth!

foil hat tinfoil kevin GIF by The Tick

American conspiracy theorists really are great members of Putin’s Useful Idiot Brigade.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Sigh. Much point? I can point to articles and reports from respectable media outlets, but they’ll just be dismissed as the evil mainstream media warping stuff to suit the agenda. Whereas randoms on Twitter, RT, Sputnik and other Russian propaganda outfits are perfectly believable, because they’re not scared to tell the truth!

foil hat tinfoil kevin GIF by The Tick
What the ambassador called them specifically is pretty relevant point. Blatant hand waving and dismissal however, is not.

When I first heard the rumors I dismissed it entirely. Her statement gives it a bit of credibility, while the statements and articles I've seen to disprove it are simply "no, of course it's not."

Incidentally, the narrative for the origin of Covid-19 started the same way. Why would we fund infectious disease biolabs in Wuhan and why would they leak out? Also, a battlefield where the Russian soldiers have already proven to be incredibly careless would be even riskier to put in control of even an "infectious disease facility."

Besides all that, I don't view this as helping Putin at all because I'm sure if it's a serious enough risk, the US will do everything in it's power to protect it.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
No. The goal of the propaganda is to rationalise and justify the cations of Putin. Claiming there are dangerous US bio weapon facilities in Ukraine is a way to do this.
Yes, but the guy you responded to is just some guy on the internet. What anyone believes in here is ultimately irrelevant.

Wtf are you talking about. He isn't making up shit.
It's about the officials who say that to justify intervention, actions or wars. Same playbook used before.

Or do you want to tell us the video is a deep fake and what you can hear in the video was never said?

Liljagare

Local inspection crews are warning of a catastrophic event at the Tjernobyl casket. Crews havent been allowed to rest since the invasion. Local warning systems have been turned off by the Russian armed forces.

Man, is it going to be the same plant twice in my life time??

BigBooper

Local inspection crews are warning of a catastrophic event at the Tjernobyl casket. Crews havent been allowed to rest since the invasion. Local warning systems have been turned off by the Russian armed forces.

Man, is it going to be the same plant twice in my life time??
That sucks. I can't imagine there's a lot of people who know that job, much less willing to go into a warzone to do it.

Wildebeest

Another day with Russia illegally in Ukraine committing war crimes for no reason other than to satisfy the 19th century imperial dreams of a few old men.

dotnotbot

What the fuck is going on here. USA gives us "green light" to hand over those jets to Ukraine but with a disclaimer that it's only our independent decision. Then after we make an offer that NATO hands them over instead of us they refuse saying it's too risky.

Last edited:

What the fuck is going on here. USA gives us "green light" to hand over those jets to Ukraine but with a disclaimer that it's only our independent decision. Then after we make an offer that NATO hands them over instead of us they refuse saying it's too risky.

This may go beyond "politics", unless i am mistaken polands mig's are NATO approved so they have identify friend of foe systems on board. They may not want NATO planes in ukraine for fear of enemy capture and reverse reingeneer. Especially if nato forces arent there guarding them

FunkMiller

Also, a battlefield where the Russian soldiers have already proven to be incredibly careless would be even riskier to put in control of even an "infectious disease facility."

No argument there. But that's not what's being claimed in these videos and posts. What's being claimed is that there are US backed bio-weapon facilities in Ukraine, and one of the reasons Putin is attacking the country is to destroy them. This is horseshit. I'll dismiss that conspiracy theory laden, Putin helping bollocks all day long. So should everyone else. The only idiots who actually believe this garbage are the types who frequent QAnon chat boards. They're doing their bit to help the Russians. Hope they're proud.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Looking at how things have developed in Europe the last 30 years, I would think that most of the Green parties really need to be looked at.

In most nations they were all for downsizing the military (because Russia isn't aggressive anymore), stopping nuclear evolution, and suggesting that LNG from Russia is something that isn't so bad (because Russia are friendly to the west now), until you develop renewable energy. Meanwhile, we can also see huge investors paying money to the green parties, from Russia.

(Thorium reactors, with a gen 5 sub plant, is there really anything more green and safe than that?)

wonder where nuclear energy tech would be if investment didn't stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom