• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I feel like I got a great bargain last week when I filled up for a paltry 3.42 a gallon. Nowhere in my neck of the woods is under 4 now.
FLfnAxj.jpg

Filled up at $3.79 a gallon last Wednesday. Sign changed to $3.99 as I was pulling out of the parking lot. I got a fat raise last year and I can’t even tell cause gas has more than doubled here since then, and most of my groceries are more expensive too. It’s making me very uncomfortable to be quite honest.

Last week I saw an Arco station at $4.35 jump to $5.15 the next day. Several Chevron stations are already over $6 and Lord knows how much higher they'll be by the end of the week.

Also saw this:

Alebrije

Gold Member
There's a bunch of complications there boiling down to how crude oil is refined, the quality of the oil, and all kinds of price pressures.
Yep its not as easy as just suddently increase production. Also maybe as an individual you are open to pay more for your average use if you think this will help Ucrania somehow; but the main problem is that oil prices scalates goods prices since most of them are moved by trucks , specially in the U.S. so in the long run you see grocery product prices up.

Thaedolus

I remember in high school my neighbor took his truck in to get his tires rotated, a scumbag employee made a copy of the key and then stole it out of his driveway a few days later. When they caught the guy they figured out he’d been running diesel in it (gas motor) because gas prices had soared above $1.60 a gallon and diesel was cheaper at the time.

So the shop’s insurance had to buy him a whole new truck.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
If we ever needed a "World War II / Space Race" moment to make sweeping changes to our energy economy all at once over a very short period of time to save the planet from climate change, then this is it. It's not often that you get to solve multiple extremely significant problems with one solution.

Should really tell you the priorities of anyone voting against moving aggressively to renewable energy. Literally benefits the US consumer, national security, global security, and the future of the planet's climate all at once.

Thaedolus

If we ever needed a "World War II / Space Race" moment to make sweeping changes to our energy economy all at once over a very short period of time to save the planet from climate change, then this is it. It's not often that you get to solve multiple extremely significant problems with one solution.

Should really tell you the priorities of anyone voting against moving aggressively to renewable energy. Literally benefits the US consumer, national security, global security, and the future of the planet's climate all at once.
Fossil fuels prop up autocrats. Even if you ignore climate change, it’s still a moral failing to rely on them when they’re used as a tool to subjugate entire countries, or to fund violent acts of aggression as we are seeing here.

Bald is one of the best travel vloggers on YouTube, and far more authentic than most. Highly recommended.
He's a bit of a moron as well.

"I'll go to countries with no covid restrictions and film myself having a good time"
*nearly dies of covid*
"I'm in Kyiv where no one believes the dumb Western press about a Russian invasion"
*flees the country after Russian invasion*

Very suspicious timing indeed, for the sequel announcement.

"On March 4, 2022, it was announced that a sequel is in development with Will Smith reprising his role and will be joined by Michael B. Jordan. Both actors will also produce and Akiva Goldsman will return to write the screenplay."

It'll actually be a documentary.

isoRhythm

Banned
He's a bit of a moron as well.

"I'll go to countries with no covid restrictions and film myself having a good time"
*nearly dies of covid*
"I'm in Kyiv where no one believes the dumb Western press about a Russian invasion"
*flees the country after Russian invasion*
This also does not mention his weird PUA history.

There is a post under one of his aliases where he gets a 20 yr old Belarusian girl to give him a bj for $6 after picking her up in the provinces and driving her to an isolated wooded area and refusing to drive her back if she didn't comply.

Absolutely disgusting.

Article on recent going ons:

“I have cooled down regarding this question a long time ago after we understood that…NATO is not prepared to accept Ukraine,” Zelensky said in an interview on ABC News. Also Read - Amid Russia-Ukraine War, India Says No Shortage Of Crude Oil, Firms To Determine Fuel Prices

Volodymyr Zelenskyy further added that the alliance is afraid of controversial things, and confrontation with Russia. Also Read - US President Biden To Ban Russian Oil Imports Over Ukraine War

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

There is a post under one of his aliases where he gets a 20 yr old Belarusian girl to give him a bj for $6 after picking her up in the provinces and driving her to an isolated wooded area and refusing to drive her back if she didn't comply.

Absolutely disgusting.
Glad the gossip squad is here to tell us how terrible a person he actually is. Would have been highly problematic to enjoy some YouTube videos.

Gp1

BOMBA

The authorities of the Republic of Poland, after consultations between the President and the Goverment, are ready to deploy – immediately and free of charge – all their MIG-29 jets to the Ramstein Air Base and place them at the disposal of the Government of the United States of America.

At the same time, Poland requests the United States to provide us with used aircraft with corresponding operational capabilities. Poland is ready to immediately establish the conditions of purchase of the planes.

The Polish Government also requests other NATO Allies – owners of MIG-29 jets – to act in the same vein.

Last edited:
BOMBA

The authorities of the Republic of Poland, after consultations between the President and the Goverment, are ready to deploy – immediately and free of charge – all their MIG-29 jets to the Ramstein Air Base and place them at the disposal of the Government of the United States of America.

At the same time, Poland requests the United States to provide us with used aircraft with corresponding operational capabilities. Poland is ready to immediately establish the conditions of purchase of the planes.

The Polish Government also requests other NATO Allies – owners of MIG-29 jets – to act in the same vein.
That can't be good.

TwinB242

Im not feeling too optimistic about the Migs. Even if Ukraine does get a bunch, they're pretty inferior to Russia's newer SU fighters and would likely lose in most direct dogfighting. of course if the Ukranian Army can somehow coordinate things so that they have stingers on the ground targeting Russian fighters at the same time that they're trying to deal with Ukranian jets, then that could tip the balance in their favor.

Last edited:

Yamisan

Which part?
Poland have have only few jets - true
Ukraine dont have many pilots - true
Ukraine has almost 40,000 in their airforce. Thats more "dont have many". Please make sure you know what you're talking about before commenting fake news.

Last edited:

Darius87

Absolutely disgusting.
that's some next level of accusatory bs, you should be banned for this. unless you have real proof not some "aliases" gtfo.

Forsete

One of two polish pilots might lend a hand if Ukraine is short of pilots.

Knowing one or two poles and their feelings towards Russia.

isoRhythm

Banned
that's some next level of accusatory bs, you should be banned for this. unless you have real proof not some "aliases" gtfo.
There are a few vids of it, his posts, hometown, height, etc all match up with the ones on the PUA forum he was on. Somebody summarized the entire thing here, you can check it out.

speckz

Ukraine told the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that it was becoming increasingly urgent and important for the safe management of the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) to rotate some 210 technical personnel and guards who have been working there since Russian forces took control of the site almost two weeks ago, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said.

In contrast to the current situation for staff at Ukraine’s operating nuclear power plants who are rotating regularly, the same shift has been on duty at the Chornobyl NPP since the day before the Russian military entered the site of the 1986 accident on 24 February, in effect living there for the past 13 days, the regulator said.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ukraine has almost 40,000 in their airforce. Thats more "dont have many". Please make sure you know what you're talking about before commenting fake news.
Wait... ukrain have 40k pilots but no jets?
What... something is off here... whole Poland have like 500 military planes total.

MrMephistoX

It's Chinese state media embedded with Russian troops.
Really depends since they are state owned CCTV workers are government employees even more so than say the BBC. CCTV is everything from propaganda and “news” to dating shows, to standup comedy sketches to C-Dramas every bit as cheesy as K-Dramas and of course the classic WWII revisionist war drama show of the month in Which Mao Zedong single handedly beats the evil Japanese Imperialist occupiers.

Would China consider it an act of war if Ukraine inadvertently blows up a Russian convoy with a CCTV “journalist” in it? Can Russia use that as a shield to protect their troops and bombs long enough to get into position?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Really depends since they are state owned CCTV workers are government employees even more so than say the BBC. CCTV is everything from propaganda and “news” to dating shows, to standup comedy sketches to C-Dramas every bit as cheesy as K-Dramas and of course the classic WWII revisionist war drama show of the month in Which Mao Zedong single handedly beats the evil Japanese Imperialist occupiers.

Would China consider it an act of war if Ukraine blows up a Russian target with a CCTV employee in it?

They've been in some large fist fights recently and didn't declare war.

I'm a little apprehensive about this being seen as a more direct escalation of the conflict that we should be trying to turn off -- including getting the Ukrainians to accept a quasi-Minsk I/II protocol like outcome. We're lucky that MANPADS and anti-tank missiles haven't provoked a response, but hundreds of millions of dollars in MiG-29s could be nearing lines in the psychology of the Kremlin for minimal upside considering the Russian airforce is badly underperforming and effective CAP are nonexistent while bases for these MiGs are easy targets for standoff weapons that the Russians can effectively use (See Syria and Ukraine so far) even in their shitty logistical state.

Now cue the war hawks to attack me in this thread who, outside of formerly being resident idiots in the domestic political realm, are now are applying their skills to demand Putin's assassination and military acts that are ratcheting up the conflict.

EDIT: Do realize, the WWI/WWII equivalent of this would be if the Russians used standoff weapons on Rammstein to destroy the MiGs in transit, just as Germany did to the American goods with their U-Boats that were crossing the Atlantic.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Would China consider it an act of war if Ukraine inadvertently blows up a Russian convoy with a CCTV “journalist” in it? Can Russia use that as a shield to protect their troops and bombs long enough to get into position?

Not likely. Didn’t the US/NATO bomb a Chinese embassy in the 90s on accident? Whoopsie. Nothing happened

Darius87

There are a few vids of it, his posts, hometown, height, etc all match up with the ones on the PUA forum he was on. Somebody summarized the entire thing here, you can check it out.

it's some bs conspiracies without any real evidence. you should get off reddit.

Sakura

I'm not sure I understand how this works. I know they say the sky is still contested, but what would stop Russia from launching missiles at the airfields and the planes while they were on the ground? The jets need an airfield to fly from and Russia has been destroying them.

TwinB242

I'm not sure I understand how this works. I know they say the sky is still contested, but what would stop Russia from launching missiles at the airfields and the planes while they were on the ground? The jets need an airfield to fly from and Russia has been destroying them.

Ukraine is likely flying sorties out of the western part of the country which is still untouched by Russia.

Darius87

there's many airfields in west ukraine with angars designed to withstand missiles attacks and most likely with air defences not talking about stingers and nlaws which there should be plenty off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom