• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Ive been watching the oliver stone putin interviews. And its really quite interesting getting information about putin that isnt BBC,iTV and sky news.

Its interesting that NATO has been getting bigger and bigger, all against no specific enemy.
Imagine if Russia formed the "red alliance" and had countries in south America join, where russia would place missles in, the USA would flip there shit.
It was the USA who withdrew from the 1972 no anti ballasic missle treaty in Europe.

Before ive just been watching western media and thought putin was just crazy and power hungry, but when you learn about the history of NATO and the history of Russia and the USA , the USA and NATO dont look so innocent.

Baring in mind im still pretty ignorant on the whole situation, but its interesting when you get your info from different sources.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Ive been watching the oliver stone putin interviews. And its really quite interesting getting information about putin that isnt BBC,iTV and sky news.

Its interesting that NATO has been getting bigger and bigger, all against no specific enemy.
Imagine if Russia formed the "red alliance" and had countries in south America join, where russia would place missles in, the USA would flip there shit.
It was the USA who withdrew from the 1972 no anti ballasic missle treaty in Europe.

Before ive just been watching western media and thought putin was just crazy and power hungry, but when you learn about the history of NATO and the history of Russia and the USA , the USA and NATO dont look so innocent.

Baring in mind im still pretty ignorant on the whole situation, but its interesting when you get your info from different sources.

Uuuuugggggggggghhhh.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Don’t worry guys. Help is coming!

Jz2zcFl_d.webp

Braag

I always saw NATO's existence as deterrence to prevent Russia from retaking old USSR territory, salami style. Something which Putin would very much want to do. I don't think it was ever meant to use as something to invade Russia with.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But whether you like it or not, you always have to stick to the facts and the realities of war.
Let me get this straight - your appeal to the "facts and realities" of war is to appeal not to concrete evidence, but to appeal to the assumption that bombing a hospital was not intended to actually hurt civilians and to also appeal to the additional assumption that the it's likely the Ukrainians were using the hospital for military purposes because that's what militaries at war usually do. This is not sticking to the facts. This is sticking to assumptions.

This may sound strange or counterintuitive, but the bombing of schools or hospitals in wars is rarely intended to damage civilians or disrupt health care.

Every military in the world that is at war effectively uses these buildings for storage, training, and generally as a base. The building layout usually provides very good conditions for this.

This does sound counterintuitive because it is. This requires us to believe the Russian narrative which is already not a credible source of information. Foreign minister Lavrov just said in the same conference that the hospital was a military target and that they actually didn't invade Ukraine. Complete horseshit.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has confirmed that the bombing of the children's and maternity hospital in Mariupol was a conscious, deliberate decision by the Russian Army.

He said this at a press conference in Antalya, after talks with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmitriy Kuleba.

Lavrov stressed that he considered the maternity hospital to be a military target.

"A few days ago, at a UN Security Council meeting, the Russian delegation presented factual information that this maternity hospital had long been taken over by the Azov battalion and other radicals and that all the women in labour, all the nurses and in general all the staff had been told to leave it. It was a base of the ultra-radical Azov battalion," he said.

Last edited:

NickFire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

Complistic

Let me get this straight - your appeal to the "facts and realities" of war is to appeal not to concrete evidence, but to appeal to the assumption that bombing a hospital was not intended to actually hurt civilians and to also appeal to the additional assumption that the it's likely the Ukrainians were using the hospital for military purposes because that's what militaries at war usually do. This is not sticking to the facts. This is sticking to assumptions.

This does sound counterintuitive because it is. This requires us to believe the Russian narrative which is already not a credible source of information. Foreign minister Lavrov just said in the same conference that the hospital was a miliatary target and that they actually didn't invade Ukraine. Complete horseshit.

So, yes you will be attacking other countries then. Got it.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
This has nothing to do with the war and I mean that in quite general terms, but you really are a very simple-minded person who can be wonderfully played. That could already be seen several times in the thread about the coronavirus.

Not that you can definitely exclude a malicious intention of Russia in the bombing of the hospital, but it is more likely that the Ukrainian army occupied the hospital. This is and has been the case in many wars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_use_of_schools). It is just a very common and ordinary thing and Russia had already pointed out on March 7 that Ukraine was using this hospital as a base and supply point for its operations.

My point here is not to whitewash anything about Russia. Russia started the war, there is no justification for it and Russia must be punished severely for it. This could also be about the USA, NATO or anyone else. But it is simply shocking how many people let themselves be carried away by emotions and often lose sight of very elementary things.
Truly you have a dizzying intellect.

Tell us more.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I only have a problem with the hypocracy of it. Either peoples beliefs aren't really that important and we can just start making fun of people we think have stupid beliefs and otherwise go about their lives, or every Nazi needs to be cancelled even if they just cured cancer and HIV.

I'm bothered by lack of consistency in people's beliefs. It makes it seem like people don't really believe things but instead just respond to stimuli. If that's the case, you really can't expect any kind of consistency in your society, and to the extent we are good or bad for most people it is an accident.
Just make sure you punch them. Oh wait, we're not doing that any longer, I don't think.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

thought this was an interesting video, I mean in terms of percentage of people packing an AT weapon its like this is Battlefield or something, every other man seems to carrying an NLAW, RPG-7 Panzerfaust-3 etc. However shows that the weapons are being put to use by the military if you didnt already know but the smouldering Russian wreckage all over.

Wildebeest

This talk is just Putin flattering western "intellectuals" into thinking they have a way of moderating and controlling his behaviour. Making them think they have real power in their relationship with him, and he doesn't do just what he wants. It is quite calculated and manipulative once you understand it.

A real key moment with Putin is not "NATO aggression" but when the US refused entry of Russia to NATO and when they refused his help in the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. This made him paranoid that he was seen as unpalatable to western democracies just because he was an autocrat and a psycho (textbook unfair discrimination). He would never be able to join the club. Putin would absolutely love to be part of all the aggression and expansion, wherever it is, and what bothers him is the idea of his military being locked behind his borders, not being able to be sent out on adventures.

Kilau

Just your normal filler internet article that you see at work.

Everything's fine.

Some handy tips in there for sure:
  • Lie face down
  • Go away from the wind
  • If you're in a vehicle, come to a complete stop.
I suppose the threat was never really gone but it’s hard to accept we are back to this constant dread.

Nico_D

I only have a problem with the hypocracy of it. Either peoples beliefs aren't really that important and we can just start making fun of people we think have stupid beliefs and otherwise go about their lives, or every Nazi needs to be cancelled even if they just cured cancer and HIV.

I'm bothered by lack of consistency in people's beliefs. It makes it seem like people don't really believe things but instead just respond to stimuli. If that's the case, you really can't expect any kind of consistency in your society, and to the extent we are good or bad for most people it is an accident.

I'd like to think there's a difference between cancelling "a nazi" who shout "heil hitler" at the corner store and shoved someone on their way out - and "a nazi" one who is conquering another country and killing thousands of people.

Also, I think "cancelling" is just plain wrong word to use here. This is adults and these are sanctions, not cancelling. Cancelling is something non-adult people do when they are facing something they are unable to process and tolerate like adults should. There's nothing to tolerate in war.

Catphish

Gold Member
I suppose the threat was never really gone but it’s hard to accept we are back to this constant dread.
I don't think it's worth dreading. It's not something we have any control over. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen.

My only fear is that I would actually survive an all-out nuclear exchange. Being near Chicago, my plan would be to sit on the roof with a bottle of Scotch and enjoy the lights before I'm fucking vaporized.

But If I were instead simply blinded and blown off the roof, left then to somehow continue to exist in the scorched, wretched wasteland of an aftermath, well... I might just reconsider my feelings about suicide.

Cyberpunkd

Jimmy Fallon No GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

NATO is a défense alliance. Countries want to join NATO precisely to protect themselves from the likes of Russia, who always bullies other countries.
Stop with this pathetic ‘both sides’ BS.

I'd like to think there's a difference between cancelling "a nazi" who shout "heil hitler" at the corner store and shoved someone on their way out - and "a nazi" one who is conquering another country and killing thousands of people.

Also, I think "cancelling" is just plain wrong word to use here. This is adults and these are sanctions, not cancelling. Cancelling is something non-adult people do when they are facing something they are unable to process and tolerate like adults should. There's nothing to tolerate in war.

There has been an ongoing campaign to cancel Joe Rogan for example. Doesn't matter that he is a milquetoast potsmoking hippy married to a Jewish woman and has a black stepdaughter, plenty of people have been accusing him of being a nazi, promoting nazi propaganda, or being a stepping stone to nazi ideology.

I've been witness to a nazi hysteria ongoing for a good portion of my adult life. That so many people can turn on a dime on this issue has convinced me that 90% of people especially leftists should just be ignored cause whatever they believe now will change the moment a new issue comes up.

There has been an ongoing campaign to cancel Joe Rogan for example. Doesn't matter that he is a milquetoast potsmoking hippy married to a Jewish woman and has a black stepdaughter, plenty of people have been accusing him of being a nazi, promoting nazi propaganda, or being a stepping stone to nazi ideology.

I've been witness to a nazi hysteria ongoing for a good portion of my adult life. That so many people can turn on a dime on this issue has convinced me that 90% of people especially leftists should just be ignored cause whatever they believe now will change the moment a new issue comes up.

There is a recent NPC meme going around with the caption "I Support the Current Thing".

MrMephistoX

It’s just the dumbing down of discourse: to SOME people anyone with SOME liberal views is a communist and anyone with SOME conservative views is a Nazi. It all comes down to this asinine concept that each side has impure motives.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It’s just the dumbing down of discourse: to SOME people anyone with SOME liberal views is a communist and anyone with SOME conservative views is a Nazi. It all comes down to this asinine concept that each side has impure motives.
This is the harsh truth, which totally stain any conversation, because you have to play for your team and make sure you name the other group in most performative hyperbolic way*
*for some(a lot) people

Problem with this, is that those people are not going to learn and have some conversation, they just want to steer shit and feel good about themselves.

However, people who are sucking that Russian propaganda can be easily spotted. And sadly people saying that "Russia suck at war", well on ground war yes, as a psy-ops to the west, they absolutely nailed it.

Never has been words of Yuri Bezmenov more true... sadly.

NickFire

Oliver stone is the useful idiot?
That question implies I would take time out of my day to investigate the source material for people who say "the USA and NATO dont look so innocent."

So no, I was not referring to him. Strictly referring to the guy who wrote "the USA and NATO dont look so innocent."

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Countries like Ukraine are desperate to join NATO because it is an effective deterrent against Russian invasion. Defense budgets in European NATO countries decreased, not increased, since the west had assumed that the Cold War was over and that Putin would not do what he is now doing. They were wrong.

You are peering into a completely different culture, one where people are killed, imprisoned, and intimidated for telling the truth on any level. Do not assume sincerity from a dictator who controls his population to this degree.

dotnotbot

Oliver stone is the useful idiot?

Read about Georgia or "terrorist" attacks during Chechnya wars or how Putin treats his enemies. And history of the past 100 years of the central and eastern Europe. You'll get an idea why NATO is gearing up against Russia and almost all countries from that region absolutely hate them and want to join NATO.

Nico_D

Yeah, I'm aware of the Rogan situation.

For me that isn't a proof of "people's" belief system being out of whack. For me the cancellation crowd is but a very small portion of people. It is just that they are so loud and visible in social media. That makes it seem like it's everybody. But I don't believe that.

People are really quick to draw conclusions and nowadays it is far too often done based on personal emotion and then taken as a fact. As this thread too has shown: people see something which fits their view of the world and take it as the truth as it supports their opinion.

M1chl

Countries like Ukraine are desperate to join NATO because it is an effective deterrent against Russian invasion. Defense budgets in European NATO countries decreased, not increased, since the west had assumed that the Cold War was over and that Putin would not do what he is now doing. They were wrong.

You are peering into a completely different culture, one where people are killed, imprisoned, and intimidated for telling the truth on any level. Do not assume sincerity from a dictator who controls his population to this degree.
As someone from central Europe, in country, which joined NATO back in late '90 it really blows my mind that people are not getting this. Without NATO, there is a Russia, it's binary choice which countries can make. Join NATO, or ally with Russia. Without NATO, there is no peace, no development, because it will be just Russian paid agents sucking every bit of your country goodness.

chonga

Well yes - Iraq war anybody?

Russia has in the past 24 hours been towing pretty much carbon copy lines the US used back then. Now to be fair a lot of people opposed that war, but they still took the government's word for it and I think it is pretty clear Russia are using those lines to highlight that hypocrisy.

But that's all misdirection.

NATO might be growing, but it doesn't exist to attack, it exists to defend. So the only reason you'd be scared is if you intend to go up against them. But as they're defensively minded, you'll only be going up against them if you step on their toes.

If you went out and bought a fire arm to protect yourself again burglars and the folks living next to you bombed your house would you be pissed off or would you say 'wellll fair enough, I did buy a gun'. You'd be pissed off, and rightly so. They don't earn the right to bomb you just because you sought to protect yourself against intruders.

MrMephistoX

As someone from central Europe, in country, which joined NATO back in late '90 it really blows my mind that people are not getting this. Without NATO, there is a Russia, it's binary choice which countries can make. Join NATO, or ally with Russia. Without NATO, there is no peace, no development, because it will be just Russian paid agents sucking every bit of your country goodness.
Going back even further NATO is a direct response to the supreme fuckup of post WWI treaty of Versailles petty punitive sanctions on Germany which led to economic hardship and the Nazis getting elected and prior to that the inscrutable system of alliances that Bismarck setup that led to WWI spiraling from a regional dispute into a world war. NATO ain’t perfect but it’s far better than a system of antagonist ticking diplomatic time bombs based on the assumption that globalization and economic interdependence alone will prevent conflict.

EDIT: Versailles is also a case study on why you don’t trust the motives of dictators.

1. Hitler manipulated the world into thinking he was just looking to reclaim territory they lost in WWI and to right the wrongs of that treaty.

2. Hitler used German resentment to blame the loss of WWI which led to that treaty on JEWS.

Last edited:

M1chl

Going back even further NATO is a direct response to the supreme fuckup of post WWI treaty of Versailles petty punitive sanctions on Germany which led to economic hardship and the Nazis getting elected and prior to that the inscrutable system of alliances that Bismarck setup that led to WWI spiraling from a regional dispute into a world war. NATO ain’t perfect but it’s far better than a system of antagonist ticking diplomatic time bombs based on the assumption that globalization and economic interdependence alone will prevent conflict.

Yeah I don't think that if Germany wouldn't be financially hit that hard after WW1, that we would get Nazis and WW2. The optics are always 20/20 tho. This is why I worry, that if Russia would be cut from Internet, which extremism would brew there.

I understand that at the same time, internet is what Russia is using in this hybrid war against the west and they are insanely successful with that in past 10 or so years. But people only getting information controlled by government, would be really bad.

It was bad before, during Bolshevik, but post-Stalin USSR leaders are no match to how Putin acts. Situation now, is insanely dangerous. He basically is something like Hitler/Stalin, without any "ifs".

Also MrMephistoX MrMephistoX seem like you know the history, I appreciate that.

Last edited:

Mokus

You do realize that NATO got bigger because all those eastern countries asked to join!? They were not invited by anyone. Even Russia asked to "join" without being invited. Some wanted to became NATO members as soon as possible and they were told by the US to wait until they are actually prepared. For Georgia and Ukraine it was too late.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Yeah I don't think that if Germany wouldn't be financially hit that hard after WW1, that we would get Nazis and WW2. The optics are always 20/20 tho. This is why I worry, that if Russia would be cut from Internet, which extremism would brew there.

I understand that at the same time, internet is what Russia is using in this hybrid war against the west and they are insanely successful with that in past 10 or so years. But people only getting information controlled by government, would be really bad.

It was bad before, during Bolshevik, but post-Stalin USSR leaders are no match to how Putin acts. Situation now, is insanely dangerous. He basically is something like Hitler/Stalin, without any "ifs".

Also MrMephistoX MrMephistoX seem like you know the history, I appreciate that.
Can’t take credit I’m just a history junkie and huge Hardcore History Podcast fan ;) https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

The 5 Part 20+ hour series on WWI “Blueprint for Armageddon” is chilling if you listen to it in this context.

This does sound counterintuitive because it is. This requires us to believe the Russian narrative which is already not a credible source of information. Foreign minister Lavrov just said in the same conference that the hospital was a military target and that they actually didn't invade Ukraine. Complete horseshit.

The firehose of falsehood.
These guys tell blatant lies over and over again to the point where you actually start to believe the lies. This is how they're brainwashing the Russian people
This is what Trump did when in the White House.

Last edited:

Catphish

Gold Member
Thought this was a good watch. For those interested in a bit of nuance:

Now. For those of you who watch the first few minutes then quit out and are ready to jump back here claiming 'apologist' or 'propagandist', stop yourself.

Watch the whole thing, and then come back here and tell me with a striaght face, and in good faith, that it isn't 100% true.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

You should give Michael Palin in North Korea a go if you liked Oliver Stones the Putin Interveiws. Michael Palin was fed a load of bollocks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom