• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAÏSanÏa

From guerilla warfare while fighting alongside the Azov battalion. I thought the premise of the show was pretty clear based on my description.
Same old story from the same dead hand.

The Reason guy (I don’t know his name) thinks the US should stop doubling down on sanctions and mediate a de-escalation / compromise.

Too bad these shows aren't more fixated on Russia leaving Ukraine since that would likely immediately reduce sanctions.

Same old story from the same dead hand.

Too bad these shows aren't more fixated on Russia leaving Ukraine since that would likely immediately reduce sanctions.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Where are you from? I'm wondering if you are from a far off place where they use strange expressions that no one from my region would know.

It's your failure to understand: a dead hand is controlled by a dead mind.

Okay, so you called me braindead using an expression from your region. Not an argument. It's also spineless. You want to insult me just insult me, but it doesn't make any point beyond that you have a negative opinion about me.

Foreigner over here thinks he's a genius with his colloqoualisms.

RAÏSanÏa

Okay, so you called me braindead using an expression from your region. Not an argument. It's also spineless. You want to insult me just insult me, but it doesn't make any point beyond that you have a negative opinion about me.

Foreigner over here thinks he's a genius with his colloqoualisms.
It was a critique of your fixation, inability to move past it, and continually trying to re litigate it.

It was a critique of your fixation, inability to move past it, and continually trying to re litigate it.

If you have a point make the point in the form of an argument. I guarantee you if you called someone a dead hand in a room full of 100 people from my area most woukd find a way to interpet that statement other than it meaning you think I'm braindead.

Fascinating word choice. Being an unmitigated piece of shit, I suppose othering folks based on country of origin comes naturally to you.

You should really look towards my humanity. Calling me names is totally going to make me empathetic towards those not like myself.

RAÏSanÏa

If you have a point make the point in the form of an argument. I guarantee you if you called someone a dead hand in a room full of 100 people from my area most woukd find a way to interpet that statement other than it meaning you think I'm braindead.
Then it's good you asked. Hopefully it help and that's the last we hear the same story.

base

Banned
What kind of punishment should we propose for Putin when all of this finish? I opt for the Ragnar Lothbrok option with snakes.

Thaedolus

The Reason guy (I don’t know his name) thinks the US should stop doubling down on sanctions and mediate a de-escalation / compromise.

I think having off-ramps and other options for deescalation makes total sense. Perhaps there’s some valid criticism about going full tilt on the sanctions right off the bat…but I’m also not seeing a lot of other options offered here. What else should we do? We can’t go in militarily, we’re providing weapons…what else is there besides sanctions?

I mean, Zelensky in high heels might be the haxan7 haxan7 bat signal but he’s alright by me fellas.

FunkMiller

From guerilla warfare while fighting alongside the Azov battalion. I thought the premise of the show was pretty clear based on my description.

You (and others, to be fair) seem quite obsessed with this Azov battalion thing. Would you like to talk a bit about the vastly larger amount of neo-nazis in Russia? The Russian National Unity organisation, or Great Russia, for instance? Maybe you'd like to expound on the massive levels of homophobia that exist in Russia?

Or maybe it's the case that whatever country you look in, small pockets of ultra right wing fuckheads exist, and that in the context of this war, all you're doing by bringing up this Azov battalion is playing into Putin's propaganda.

Last edited:
Lord, we're all going to nuked so hard that we grow a third arm and start glowing green by years end, aren't we? (US here)

6nFTOzmaBFYTe1G_hdHS38ALpbi4nKGmhwo9fDen_4Q.png

Thaedolus

You can't give Putin what he wants. His demands are completely unreasonable... and what happens when he has yet more demands? Another invasion? You don't negotiate with a bully. The sanctions are working and will continue to work.
Putin needs to get his ass kicked. We’re unfortunately limited in how we can effectuate that. But thankfully, Ukrainians have shown themselves to have brass fuckin balls and that they’re willing to do the job. Any help we can muster without sparking a nuclear apocalypse should be on the table.

TwinB242

The 40 mile convoy north of kyiv just suddenly 'dispersed and redeployed' and has basically disappeared according to the latest satellite imagery. The fuck? What happened to the supply issues they were supposedly having. This doesn't sound like good news.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The 40 mile convoy north of kyiv just suddenly 'dispersed and redeployed' and has basically disappeared according to the latest satellite imagery. The fuck? What happened to the supply issues they were supposedly having. This doesn't sound like good news.
They moved into the trees to take firing positions. They didn’t move closer to the city.

MrMephistoX

Fucking hell. That last minute. I leaked a little pee

Thanks for sharing boss.
Shit it’s too bad consumer grade optics companies like Vortex can’t donate their gear. Like I have a vortex scope I’d be happy to just send them if I could since I can easily buy another one.

You can't give Putin what he wants. His demands are completely unreasonable... and what happens when he has yet more demands? Another invasion? You don't negotiate with a bully. The sanctions are working and will continue to work.

Exactly give in now to the petty little tyrants demands over fear he may be crazy enough to launch a tactical nuke and pretty soon he’s going to just threaten to nuke the EU if they don’t remove all sanctions immediately.

Last edited:

BigBooper

That's a very simple minded stance. Any reasonable person negotiates with bullies if the situation calls for it. If someone jumps you on the street with a gun and says they will shoot you unless you hand over your wallet, are you going to say no because you don't negotiate with bullies? Come on now.

If Putin wants the eastern section of Ukraine and says he will back off from war in the rest of the country, Ukraine may think that's a reasonable deal given the circumstances.

Last edited:

TwinB242

That's a very simple minded stance. Any reasonable person negotiates with bullies if the situation calls for it. If someone jumps you on the street with a gun and says they will shoot you unless you hand over your wallet, are you going to say no because you don't negotiate with bullies? Come on now.

If Putin wants the eastern section of Ukraine and says he will back off from war in the rest of the country, Ukraine may think that's a reasonable deal given the circumstances.

He wants more than that. I just saw this tweet from Marco Rubio that seems like it could be accurate

Basically he wants to capture and hold Mariupol and Odessa and combined with Crimea that would give him complete access to the Black Sea, and cut Ukraine off of it. This might be enough of a 'victory' in his eyes and as a result he would be able to call off the invasion while salvaging his reputation in Russia.

Last edited:

BigBooper

He wants more than that. I just saw this tweet from Marco Rubio that seems like it could be accurate

Basically he wants to capture and hold Mariupol and Odessa and combined with Crimea that would give him complete access to the Black Sea, and cut Ukraine off of it. This might be enough of a 'victory' in his eyes and as a result he would be able to call off the invasion while salvaging his reputation in Russia.

I believe it too. Even in Putin's first public address after the invasion started, he made it clear that Ukraine shouldn't exist. However, situations change and Nato might just be joining in on negotiations and helping convince Putin to take that territory and no more.

There's many possible points of negotiation that could end the war quicker and save more lives.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Exactly.

The anti-Ukraine supporters who say don't get involved, let the war settle itself, or give in to Putin demands dont think has ever had an answer for if Russia continues the battle with more aggressions against other countries. And if any of them say then go to war against Russia, it shows in their heads Ukraine is a sacrificial lamb not worth fighting with.

It's like they think if you give Putin a win, he'll accept the terms, go away and everything goes back to normal.

No way I'd trust that.

Last edited:

If i am Ukraine i go on the offensive and take back my land Putin can't keep getting away with this

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Gillespie is generally a sharp guy, and he has a point that historically sanctions usually range from moderately effective to not effective at all. However, while the example of Japan that he gave in the video has similarities to the current Russian situation, there are also very large differences. Russia is a lot more globally connected than WW2 era Japan. Russia needs us a lot more than Japan did. These sanctions on Russia are historically unprecedented due to the extreme level that both private and public entities have acted. The message this sends to the average citizen is powerful. Due to the nature of the internet, the public mob has a lot more power to change the status quo than Japanese citizens did 90 years ago.

He also doesn't compare today's situation with another situation that might actually be more similar and applicable - the fall of the USSR. The Soviet Union got bogged down militarily in Afghanistan, which drained their economy and caused its collapse. We are again fighting an economic war with Russia, and again their military is sustaining heavy losses. Might we see a similar event occurring? While Afghanistan wasn't the sole reason of the fall of the USSR, and neither were the sanctions the USA imposed in the USSR throughout the Cold War, it's arguable that it caused enough cracks in the political structure to upend the entire system eventually while also reducing their capacity to cause harm because they were broke.

TLDR, yeah Gillespie has a point that historically sanctions are usually ineffective, but these sanctions are different in many significant ways, so comparisons to the past are not as insightful as one might think.

Last edited:

Sakura

Gillespie is generally a sharp guy, and he has a point that historically sanctions usually range from moderately effective to not effective at all. However, while the example of Japan that he gave in the video has similarities to the current Russian situation, there are also very large differences. Russia is a lot more globally connected than WW2 era Japan. Russia needs us a lot more than Japan did. These sanctions on Russia are historically unprecedented due to the extreme level that both private and public entities have acted. The message this sends to the average citizen is powerful. Due to the nature of the internet, the public mob has a lot more power to change the status quo than Japanese citizens did 90 years ago.

He also doesn't compare today's situation with another situation that might actually be more similar and applicable - the fall of the USSR. The Soviet Union got bogged down militarily in Afghanistan, which drained their economy and caused its collapse. We are again fighting an economic war with Russia, and again their military is sustaining heavy losses. Might we see a similar event occurring? While Afghanistan wasn't the sole reason of the fall of the USSR, and neither were the sanctions the USA imposed in the USSR throughout the Cold War, it's arguable that it caused enough cracks in the political structure to upend the entire system eventually while also reducing their capacity to cause harm because they were broke.

TLDR, yeah Gillespie has a point that historically sanctions are usually ineffective, but these sanctions are different in many significant ways, so comparisons to the past are not as insightful as one might think.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of Russia's trade with the west is in the form of oil and gas. This trade has not been stopped has it? While Russia may be more globally connected than Japan was, the West is still paying Russia tons of money for its resources. Furthermore, their largest trade partner is China.
Rich people having their yachts taken away and such will obviously make them unhappy, but as long as the west is still paying Russia for its resources while Russia transitions to trade with more friendly countries, I don't see the Russian economy collapsing. Obviously the longer the war goes on, the worse it gets for Russia, but I don't see it becoming another Afghanistan as Russia doesn't seem to be interested in occupation.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of Russia's trade with the west is in the form of oil and gas. This trade has not been stopped has it? While Russia may be more globally connected than Japan was, the West is still paying Russia tons of money for its resources. Furthermore, their largest trade partner is China.
Rich people having their yachts taken away and such will obviously make them unhappy, but as long as the west is still paying Russia for its resources while Russia transitions to trade with more friendly countries, I don't see Russia the Russian economy collapsing. Obviously the longer the war goes on, the worse it gets for Russia, but I don't see it becoming another Afghanistan as Russia doesn't seem to be interested in occupation.
It's not completely stopped, but it's been hampered.

Their currency is tanking. Their stock market is afraid to open. Private investment can't GTFO quick enough. Government propaganda can cover up a lot of things, but it can't cover up the entire world rising up and telling Russia to quit attacking Ukraine.

Nico_D

Place your (avatar?) bets on what the UN will tell them.

Looking the comments on that, it's amazing how easily people swallow everything that has conspiracy written into it. I know, this is Twitter and therefore Looney Tooney Land and they do kot represent humanity. But still!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

General Petraeus doesn't think Russia will be able to encircle Kyiv, at the rate things are going. However, Russia is willing to indiscriminately blow up cities.

Mariupol is in very rough shape, siege continues, out of food and water and unable to get supplies in or break the siege.

Russia has been very poor at combined arms maneuvers. Tanks sent alone in bunches, infantry sent without support.

Current map:

pInY2AB.png

Sakura

It's not completely stopped, but it's been hampered.

Their currency is tanking. Their stock market is afraid to open. Private investment can't GTFO quick enough. Government propaganda can cover up a lot of things, but it can't cover up the entire world rising up and telling Russia to quit attacking Ukraine.
There is a limit to how far the currency can tank. Many currencies have weakened significantly without the economy collapsing. The Canadian Dollar has gone from being on par with the USD to losing 40% of its value in just a couple years. The Ruble itself was doing much worse in the 90s than it is today. Because of how much the Russian economy is dependent on its natural resources, the currency won't fall to oblivion.

General Petraeus doesn't think Russia will be able to encircle Kyiv, at the rate things are going. However, Russia is willing to indiscriminately blow up cities.

Mariupol is in very rough shape, siege continues, out of food and water and unable to get supplies in or break the siege.

Russia has been very poor at combined arms maneuvers. Tanks sent alone in bunches, infantry sent without support.

Current map:

pInY2AB.png

I'd be very interested to see a breakdown of what all happened after this is all over.
Like, "Tanks sent alone in bunches, infantry sent without support." this just sounds ridiculous. What is the thinking behind these decisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom