• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

00:00 - 01:13 - Introduction
01:13 - 03:42 - Are we in a defining moment in the growth of world civilisation?
03:42 - 06:04 - Are we reaching the end of a unipolar world?
06:04 - 08:37 - Are we seeing the framework of a bifurcated world?
08:37 - 10:46 - Are Russia’s sanctions self-defeating?
10:46 - 14:10 - What are the implications of removing Russia from Swift?
14:10 - 17:23 - Is there an underlying asymmetry at play?
17:23 - 20:05 - Are economic systems becoming weaponised?
20:05 - 25:19 - Will we see an internal collapse within the West?
25:19 - 27:35 - With the West still be at the forefront of technological advancements?
27:35 - 35:54 - Is the West asserting itself enough in this “power battle” with Russia?
35:54 - 36:34 - Concluding thoughts

With Western powers increasingly united against Russia, we seem to be witnessing the end of the unipolar world. Financially, culturally and spiritually we have never been so bifurcated. Could this be the end of civilisation as we know it? To find a way through the big issues at stake, Freddie Sayers sat down with Samo Burja, a sociologist and the founder of Bismarck Analysis.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Nuance only exists in this situation if your agenda is bring western nations down to Russia’s level.

This is, of course, incorrect.

The west gets stuff wrong, has made terrible mistakes, but it is far, FAR better than Russia…or China.

My intention is never to insult or anger people in this thread, but I similarly can’t just let this kind of stuff slide by without saying something. However, I’ve altered my post to Deepbreath as my language was too inflammatory.
I think a lot of people are ignorant of what the Enlightenment was and what it meant and continues to mean for societies that embraced it. China and Russia are not post-Enlightenment societies. The leaders of the Russian bolshevik movement took the language of the Enlightenment and hammered it onto the surface of the protofascist movements of the late 1800s and early 20th century. The Comintern under the direction of the Soviet Union had a direct hand in the supporting the CCP as it formed, the CCP likewise only ever gave lipservice Enlightenment ideals while never allowing any practical application of them.

Still don't understand the "nuance" folks.

Why bother trying to rationalize the position for Russian aggression when one of the greatest threats to Russian security and prosperity is the kleptocrat in charge suppressing information and creating an oligarchy of thieves? The man himself actively spouts lies about nuclear weapons, biological research labs and anything he can think of to justify the pretext for invasion so why selectively curate a narrative for him?

Instead or forming conclusions based of the series of events and facts presented to them, people seem to instead dwell on the more fantastical possibilties; that this corrupt dictator is merely worrying about good governance.

This is the republican way.

RAÏSanÏa

This poor source of opinion again. Last time his opinion was posted he made an equivalency between Viet Cong and Ukraine.
Undoubtedly there's little he has favourable to say about the West and lots to say favourably about Russia.

Edit:It's basically "The West is winning in the short term, but doesn't see the big picture like I do!" cope.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Just on a side note, isn't Putin looking more and more puffy/swollen for each week that passes? Superior vena cava syndrome or superior vena cava obstruction is what it really is starting to look like, esp when you compare pictures from 2020 to now. :eek:

He doesn't look like he's gained weight, just like he's poofing up.
Maybe he's getting angrier each day until his head explodes.

FunkMiller

I think a lot of people are ignorant of what the Enlightenment was and what it meant and continues to mean for societies that embraced it. China and Russia are not post-Enlightenment societies. The leaders of the Russian bolshevik movement took the language of the Enlightenment and hammered it onto the surface of the protofascist movements of the late 1800s and early 20th century. The Comintern under the direction of the Soviet Union had a direct hand in the supporting the CCP as it formed, the CCP likewise only ever gave lipservice Enlightenment ideals while never allowing any practical application of them.

Great point. And there's a strong argument to suggest that the reason why all this horror has been allowed to happen is that the west laboured under the misapprehension that Russia had changed from its soviet mentality into something a little more western after the fall of the Berlin Wall. This was clearly a grievous - if understandable - error. There's always the desire to think better of people, especially when on the surface it looks like they've made efforts to change. Sadly those changes were clearly calculated efforts to lull the west into a false sense of security, rather than a genuine alteration in Russian attitudes at the level of governance.

We are in a cold war with Russia again, and arguably we never actually left it - as far as they were concerned anyway.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

US citizen James Hill killed in Ukraine, reportedly shot by Russian snipers while waiting in a bread line. He was taking care of his wife there—she has MS and was too sick to evacuate.

I'm usually one to hesitate to invoke Godwin's Law, but in this case it's very appropriate. The Russians are conducting themselves in exactly the same way as the Nazis did. Executing innocent civilians in the street and committing multiple war crimes with a bone chilling deliberateness. They are no better. I hope people can realise and accept this, I truly do.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm usually one to hesitate to invoke Godwin's Law, but in this case it's very appropriate. The Russians are conducting themselves in exactly the same way as the Nazis did. Executing innocent civilians in the street and committing multiple war crimes with a bone chilling deliberateness. They are no better. I hope people can realise and accept this, I truly do.
I don’t think Godwin’s Law applies anymore when a country literally begins reenacting WW2.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm usually one to hesitate to invoke Godwin's Law
Same. It hasn't been applicable to nearly anything since we had actual Nazis, and I feel like if we play fast and loose with the definition of what the label "Nazi" actually is, we don't take it seriously anymore. However, what we've seen these past 3 weeks is as close to applicable as we've seen yet, and I hope it doesn't get any closer.

FunkMiller

Same. It hasn't been applicable to nearly anything since we had actual Nazis, and I feel like if we play fast and loose with the definition of what the label "Nazi" actually is, we don't take it seriously anymore. However, what we've seen these past 3 weeks is as close to applicable as we've seen yet, and I hope it doesn't get any closer.

Me too. But I fear it will. And the frustration is that he hides behind his nuclear weapons, and continues to get away with it. That's why I advocate for the west to do as much as it can over the coming years to punish Russia, short of engaging in armed conflict that could escalate to nuclear war. They have to be made an example of. If we're to move forward as a global society where the rule of law and common decency prevails, those who engage in this kind of conduct must be answered. I am afraid right now that the will might not be there to do this among our leaders. But what real choice is there, if we're to prevent someone thinking they can get away with this kind of horror again? I'd love to hear a sensible alternative, but I dread the fact there is none.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Me too. But I fear it will. And the frustration is that he hides behind his nuclear weapons, and continues to get away with it. That's why I advocate for the west to do as much as it can over the coming years to punish Russia, short of engaging in armed conflict that could escalate to nuclear war. They have to be made an example of. If we're to move forward as a global society where the rule of law and common decency prevails, those who engage in this kind of conduct must be answered. I am afraid right now that the will might not be there to do this among our leaders. But what real choice is there, if we're to prevent someone thinking they can get away with this kind of horror again? I'd love to hear a sensible alternative, but I dread the fact there is none.
Yes, as much as I don't want to hurt the Russian people for the actions of their shitty government, we're stuck with choosing the least bad of our options which are all varying degrees of bad. I'd prefer economic punishment to warfare punishment, and it needs to be severe enough that the next Bison wanna-be is gonna feel it no other dictators in waiting think of blatantly invading another country again. If there is a perfect solution to be had, I have no idea what it would be right now.

FunkMiller

Yes, as much as I don't want to hurt the Russian people for the actions of their shitty government, we're stuck with choosing the least bad of our options which are all varying degrees of bad. I'd prefer economic punishment to warfare punishment, and it needs to be severe enough that the next Bison wanna-be is gonna feel it no other dictators in waiting think of blatantly invading another country again. If there is a perfect solution to be had, I have no idea what it would be right now.

There‘s unfortunately a very simple, but horrific calculus to be employed when war breaks out:

Somebody must suffer. It’s just a question of who and how much.

The one thing we must never forget is who is 100% responsible for the suffering of any Russians going forward in answer to these war crimes: Vladimir Putin.

I do not want to see or read about people blaming the west for hurting Russian people in the coming years.

Tams

Gold Member
I'll ask you again: are you American? And can you tell me how American taxpayers, in a crippled economy, benefit in any way from giving many billions of dollars in military aid to a country that we have no formal treaties or mutual defense pacts with? Because, you know, it used to be that government policies and actions were intended to benefit - or at least not harm - the populace. If humanitarian aid is not seen as provocative while military aid is, then yes, that needs to factor into any decision when you're talking about taxpayers' money as well as the national security of the American people. All I urged was greater prudence, but apparently that's a bridge too far for you. lol @ continuing to harp on spelling when you're wrong: Spectre vs. specter

EDIT: Note that my initial and subsequent posts don't even advocate for NOT giving the military aid, only that we need to be more prudent about things and consider all possible ramifications. My post was more about the cavalier attitude and brinksmanship on display regarding these matters lately.
You're short-sighted and selfish.

Bet you think the US should pull out of Nato with that attitude of yours.

BigBooper

How about we just quit making dumb statements about what "must" happen and who should be quiet?

It's all a delicate balancing act, but you can beat down a society so much that future conflict is inevitable. Would WW2 have happened if the financial punishment and opportunism in the aftermath of WW1 not have happened as severely?

Right now, Russia is the aggressor and must be stopped and it seems the sanctions are helping with that goal.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

w7LAKhW.jpg

akimbo009

Gold Member

US citizen James Hill killed in Ukraine, reportedly shot by Russian snipers while waiting in a bread line. He was taking care of his wife there—she has MS and was too sick to evacuate.

Fuck Russia, fuck Putin. This shit had me in tears. Why the fuck. And all our "let's figure it out".... I'm in a safe place, so I'm not going to get blown up or need to be reminded of my privilege in this moment. But if anything else I could do could remind the world this is horrible, and changes everything, I'd do it. Fuck.

Von Hugh

This war reminds me every day how shitty as a species we still are. There is always someone who wants to see other people suffer. There is always someone who doesn't bat an eye when killing children and pregnant women. This is absolutely fucked up in every measure. Human ego is too dangerous.

akimbo009

Gold Member
This war reminds me every day how shitty as a species we still are. There is always someone who wants to see other people suffer. There is always someone who doesn't bat an eye when killing children and pregnant women. This is absolutely fucked up in every measure. Human ego is too dangerous.
Putin's ego is too dangerous.

Liljagare

On a lighter note, Sweden admits that it will take less than 24H to join Nato when you look at the technical and logistical side. Nice they finally say it in public, the entire armed forces, airfields etc, have been prepared since the 80's to facilitate NATO planes, ships and troops.

Hopefully the paperwork won't take as long.. :p (source in swedish, https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/svenska-forsvaret-redo-for-nato-kan-ansluta-pa-ett-dygn/).

Always wondered when I did my tour during the draft why we would be able to fuel up F16's in the 90's.

FunkMiller

Let‘s not talk this way. Most human beings would not engage in the kind of cruelty, hate and destruction being done by the Russians right now. We live in a world where this kind of activity is rightly seen as disgusting. The human race is not shitty, but Putin and his Russian soldiers most certainly are.

Some of them do not look bad. but the "Disarmament", could be really dangerous (do not trust the POS of Putin). Also WTF with the "De-Nazification"? I guess since Putin is deep in that hole, he needs to keep a win....

Some of them do not look bad. but the "Disarmament", could be really dangerous (do not trust the POS of Putin). Also WTF with the "De-Nazification"? I guess since Putin is deep in that hole, he needs to keep a win....

these are no different to his initial reasons for invading, and they are all terrible just by virtue of dictating to an independent country what they can or can’t do

Von Hugh

Give up their weapons so Russia can invade them even harder a few years later. Yeah, Ukraine isn't going to make that mistake again.

Raven117

Let‘s not talk this way. Most human beings would not engage in the kind of cruelty, hate and destruction being done by the Russians right now. We live in a world where this kind of activity is rightly seen as disgusting. The human race is not shitty, but Putin and his Russian soldiers most certainly are.
I think many humans are capable of this kind of cruelty given the right circumstances

Wildebeest

Putin is in some stadium giving a rally to celebrate the 8-year anniversary of the last time he illegally invaded Ukraine. Standing far away from anyone in the middle and wearing a long neck jumper to hide his bloating. These Russians are quite good at waving flags while a man speaks nonsense, got to hand it to them. I guess this is Russia fighting back in the information war.

ratburger

Military deaths in the conflict:

Western estimates, while highly uncertain, suggest as many as 7,000 Russian soldiers may have been killed.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky last week said Ukraine had lost around 1,300 soldiers since the start of the invasion. A senior North Atlantic Treaty Organization official said losses were likely on par with the Russians.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom