• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAÏSanÏa

Another two good analysis.

(Read the entire thread)

Putin's revised victory should be he comes to terms with losing everything then kills himself freeing Russia of the war & sanctions.
Ukraine gets Crimea and all their land back. Russia pays reparations and earns forgiveness through putting their house in order and honest dealings.

Kremlin vet says aides would kill Putin before sharing ‘bad news,’ now Putin orders house arrests​

renderTimingPixel.png

msnbc.com/the-be...

Ukraine Is Doubling Its Army, While Russia Scrapes The Barrel For Reinforcements​

renderTimingPixel.png

forbes.com/sites/...

They would would they?

Interesting. 🙂

I bet it would be like this

aide: ....We ......are .....losing......... the .......war, sir.....

Putina: You say so?

Aide: No...... sir....it is the last report...

Putina: You know...bang

Aide......

Putina: If anyone brings me any fake news, expect the same....

And this is why they decide it is him or them....but now they are in-home arrest XD

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Gi5d9gQ.jpg

This made me laugh because of the intended joke, the unintentional humor of the typo, and that if the Russians just nuked this airfield, I’ll regret not having 2 million SPF sunblock for a period of time before the void…
Jokes aside I have been inwardly cringing at the Olympus Mons pile of cash that the US has wasted to try and "keep up with the armies of the world". This conflict has exposed just how toothless some of the "major powers" are in reality despite reputations and posturing. Germany and Russia in particular have come out looking ridiculous from this.

Meanwhile the previously unknown to half the world country of Ukraine is almost singlehandedly holding off what was previously believed to be one of the greatest militaries on the planet. Putin could have flexed his muscles and claimed the "independent" territories of Ukraine and the world would not have done shit about it beyond a few sanctions. Certainly not anything like they have experienced so far. It would have been a slap on the wrist. Zelenskyy would have raised hell and denounced the west for their lack of action, but the world would have kept on spinning and the governments of the world would still believe in the mystique and the rumors of the Russian military. Their power and their ruthlessness. Their rugged resolve and reliable equipment.

Instead he chose to fuck his country into the ground by trying to commit to a wholesale invasion of what turned out to be a ruggedly brutal country. Exposing all of his armies shortcomings and problems. Putin showed that his previously feared and respected military to be seemingly made up of poorly trained and poorly equipped conscripts. Their vehicles getting stuck in the mud, being abandoned by the side of the road after running out of gas, and getting decimated by infantry because they are not properly protecting them. In one sweeping move of abject stupidity he exposed that all of the talk of their numbers and their fierceness was just a carefully crafted myth to hold the world at bay. destroying a carefully crafted image that goes back to Stalin himself. All because he thought he could roll over Ukraine in a weekend.

I mean look at this shit. Their soldiers don't even have optics on their rifles. Some of them have fucking Cold War era gear. Some even have fucking WW2 guns!!!!!

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Jokes aside I have been inwardly cringing at the Olympus Mons pile of cash that the US has wasted to try and "keep up with the armies of the world". This conflict has exposed just how toothless some of the "major powers" are in reality despite reputations and posturing. Germany and Russia in particular have come out looking ridiculous from this.

Meanwhile the previously unknown to half the world country of Ukraine is almost singlehandedly holding off what was previously believed to be one of the greatest militaries on the planet. Putin could have flexed his muscles and claimed the "independent" territories of Ukraine and the world would not have done shit about it beyond a few sanctions. Certainly not anything like they have experienced so far. It would have been a slap on the wrist. Zelenskyy would have raised hell and denounced the west for their lack of action, but the world would have kept on spinning and the governments of the world would still believe in the mystique and the rumors of the Russian military. Their power and their ruthlessness. Their rugged resolve and reliable equipment.

Instead he chose to fuck his country into the ground by trying to commit to a wholesale invasion of what turned out to be a ruggedly brutal country. Exposing all of his armies shortcomings and problems. Putin showed that his previously feared and respected military to be seemingly made up of poorly trained and poorly equipped conscripts. Their vehicles getting stuck in the mud, being abandoned by the side of the road after running out of gas, and getting decimated by infantry because they are not properly protecting them. In one sweeping move of abject stupidity he exposed that all of the talk of their numbers and their fierceness was just a carefully crafted myth to hold the world at bay. destroying a carefully crafted image that goes back to Stalin himself. All because he thought he could roll over Ukraine in a weekend.

I mean look at this shit. Their soldiers don't even have optics on their rifles. Some of them have fucking Cold War era gear. Some even have fucking WW2 guns!!!!!

US/Vietnam = Russia/Ukraine.

Hubris will get you every time.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Russia, the Daily Mail and other news sites are saying Russia have used a hypersonic missile to flatten a munitions factory.

Overkill, and basically a show of strength to the West.

Was carrying a conventional payload but is capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Russia, the Daily Mail and other news sites are saying Russia have used a hypersonic missile to flatten a munitions factory.

Was carrying a conventional payload but is capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

Hmmmm.

I’ll wait until independent confirmation on this one. Not saying it’s false, but I believe nothing coming out of the Russian government… for obvious reasons.

Also… ‘unstoppable by western defences’ eh? 🤔 I mean, they wouldn’t lie about that, would they?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The rally in Moscow yesterday where Putin gave a speech really shattered my impression of the Russian people's support for this war. Tens of thousands of pro-Putin supporters inside the stadium and tens of thousands of more packed outside.

Guess support for Putin is still higher than I imagined, which is worrying because I was hoping support for Putin would hit rock bottom and the people would rise up against him.

Don't if this has been posted already, but if anybody hasn't seen this mass brainwashing, here it is.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The rally in Moscow yesterday where Putin gave a speech really shattered my impression of the Russian people's support for this war. Tens of thousands of pro-Putin supporters inside the stadium and tens of thousands of more packed outside.

Guess support for Putin is still higher than I imagined, which is worrying because I was hoping support for Putin would hit rock bottom and the people would rise up against him.

Don't if this has been posted already, but if anybody hasn't seen this mass brainwashing, here it is.

Reportedly there was a 500 ruble incentive to attend.

Mokus

If Putin would have had 10% approval ratings in a 10 million city like Moscow, still would have been enough to fill that stadium several times. And not to mention there are reports about people from the crowd being "instructed" to go to the event.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Such a wasted opportunity for some active shooter on the scene...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

I mean could be anything, but I saw this on my feed. Certainly it has some glow, which apparently happens when you fly fast, but I don't know how high projectile is, because it looks kind of slow, but if it's flying from space or something then, damn...

Oh wow, the boom is not when it hit the ground, but sonic boom, alright, so it seems like it's legit.

Last edited:

QSD

I mean, rallies in North Korea are also very well attended I gather

chromhound

Gold Member

Should have dropped a bomb in the stadium

RAÏSanÏa

Ukraine might have to invade to defend itself. Start shelling Moscow.
That's the impression they wanted to give after raising the subject of the fifth column in an address the day before.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member

All that's going to do if true, is increase European, North American, Commonwealth, and Japanese defence budgets even higher.

Tams

Gold Member
From 2005. Starts on Putin from 06:50 and onwards.

I would wonder what Christopher Hitchens would have to say about all this, but that would be a pointless exercise as it's very clear what he would have thought.

I bet he would have been very disappointed, yet completely unsurprised, that it came to this. The worst part is that many foreign policy experts will have attended one or more of his lectures. And yet, they don't seem to have really taken home the lessons he was trying to teach them.

China might well be digging themselves a hole here. Even if some of this guy's comments could be still as Chinese nationalism, he's at least on the right side this time.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Couldn't have said it better, this illegal war really has shown the world that Russia is a 3rd world country (about to get even worse) with an utterly laughable and embarrassing military, their entire command structure looks positively Dad's Army, NATO would roll right over them so badly it would actually be cruel to watch.

How can that fucker possibly stay in power after this disastrous campaign, you'd think someone would put one in the back of his head, if not a palace coup why not a military one as the balloon seems intent on sending more of Russia's young to the front line to face modern western weaponry inbound from NATO countries, heck does he really think all those incoming drones are being piloted by local troops and not by experienced pilots in the US and UK...

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

I dare say a lot of state workers where bused in and let's face it who wouldn't turn down a few rubles and a day off slaving in some steel refinery for a wee concert in a stadium lots have never been in

Raven117

Oh, I’d take it easy…. For now. It’s like showing a trump rally and saying we are all like that. (For better or worse, we know we aren’t).

Yes, some people in Russia are for this. Others aren’t. And most are being fed propaganda almost every waking minute

Last edited:
Oh, I’d take it easy…. For now. It’s like showing a trump rally and saying we are all like that. (For better or worse, we know we aren’t).

Yes, some people in Russia are for this. Others aren’t. And most are being fed propaganda almost every waking minute

I think a more fitting parallel would be the George Bush rallies before the 2004 election

At this time USA had been three years fucking up Afghanistan, and one year into its invasion of Iraq

It would have been the same in the UK, except we don't really do stadium rallies like that here...I'm sure Blair would have loved that though

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

I don't know if it has been posted before but this long twitter thread gives a very good overview of why the Russian army is fucked.

The short end answer is that . it's by design because Putin doesn't any general to have any idea, the consequence are a shitty army.

Wildebeest

Estimates in the Lancet say that Russia was actually one of the very worst hit countries by Covid, with more than one million actual excess deaths, and who knows how many more left with some serious long term medical issues. Even before Covid and this illegal war, Russia had pretty bad demographic problems. Are they really ready for a war of attrition against an army supported by most of the world? Seems too fantastic to believe.

Chaplain

Providing an example of "truth bombs" that you agree with?

I think the problem right now is like the 2020 election, COVID, and now Ukraine, everything is being politized and viewed with these lenses. Media outlets are not disclosing their biases and what narratives they are trying to sell to the public. Therefore, I only know what is going on in Ukraine by what the media publishes. Meaning, I assume the truth is somewhere in the middle (facts that all media outlets agree upon).

RAÏSanÏa

I think the problem right now is like the 2020 election, COVID, and now Ukraine, everything is being politized and viewed with these lenses. Media outlets are not disclosing their biases and what narratives they are trying to sell to the public. Therefore, I only know what is going on in Ukraine by what the media publishes. Meaning, I assume the truth is somewhere in the middle (facts that all media outlets agree upon).
Both sider conspiracy theorist. gothcha.

Wildebeest

I don't know if it has been posted before but this long twitter thread gives a very good overview of why the Russian army is fucked.

The short end answer is that . it's by design because Putin doesn't any general to have any idea, the consequence are a shitty army.

Putin has nightmares about Zhukov so keeps the military weak and disrespected.

the problem right now being your American media's politization tells me everything about why you keep posting your facile culture war Twitter follows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom