• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vestal

I think the problem right now is like the 2020 election, COVID, and now Ukraine, everything is being politized and viewed with these lenses. Media outlets are not disclosing their biases and what narratives they are trying to sell to the public. Therefore, I only know what is going on in Ukraine by what the media publishes. Meaning, I assume the truth is somewhere in the middle (facts that all media outlets agree upon).
Stop viewing this through the lens of American politics.

There is Democracy(US, EU, Ukraine, THE WEST), then there is Authoritarianism(Russia).

Its a simple choice really. Everything else at the end of the day is BULLSHIT.

News outlets are the ones viewing it through those lenses. Those are the lenses they want the masses to use. I think this is unhealthy and accounts for why there is so much tribalism and division (in the real-world and online).

you think it's unhealthy tribalism yet post, without comment, a "truth bombs" tweet that contains regurgitated Russian propaganda?

it's not the lenses they want the masses to use, it's the lense that you use

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

9PzgCQM.jpeg
eipugIu.jpeg

🧙‍♂️"Pluto returned to America's founding at the time! How could we comment on celestial events after everyone who could was purged?!"

News outlets are the ones viewing it through those lenses. Those are the lenses they want the masses to use. I think this is unhealthy and accounts for why there is so much tribalism and division (in the real-world and online).
The unfounded speculation to sow distrust of others is what appears to be a major contributor to creating that tribalism and division.

Chaplain

you think it's unhealthy tribalism yet post, without comment, a "truth bombs" tweet that contains regurgitated Russian propaganda?

it's not the lenses they want the masses to use, it's the lense that you use

I posted a link by someone sharing a video on Twitter. Just because I share articles and videos does not mean I agree or disagree with everything that is said.

A guilt by association fallacy occurs when someone connects an opponent to a demonized group of people or to a bad person in order to discredit his or her argument. The idea is that the person is “guilty” by simply being similar to this “bad” group and, therefore, should not be listened to about anything.

Last edited:
I posted a link by someone sharing a video on Twitter. Just because I share articles and videos does not mean I agree or disagree with everything that is said.
I don't know if you watched the video you posted N othing of value for people that were wanting to get more information about this tragic war in Ukraine. This Laura Loomer is just full on nonsense an disinformation, Keep in mind this isn't a Joe Rogan podcast this is neogaf.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Russia, the Daily Mail and other news sites are saying Russia have used a hypersonic missile to flatten a munitions factory.

Overkill, and basically a show of strength to the West.

Was carrying a conventional payload but is capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

Hmmmm.

I’ll wait until independent confirmation on this one. Not saying it’s false, but I believe nothing coming out of the Russian government… for obvious reasons.

Also… ‘unstoppable by western defences’ eh? 🤔 I mean, they wouldn’t lie about that, would they?

It's been confirmed. Seems a pretty wasteful use of this weapon. Frankly, I've been skeptical of this platform for a long time since it adds some but not much to the battlefield that isn't already available. And while it can defeat anti-missle defenses so can launching a half dozen other missiles at the same time.

But yeah, it's been used in a highly observed military theatre by NATO. They'll be feasting on the intel from this attack. Another short sighted action for minimal gains by Russia.

RAÏSanÏa

why are you surprised? trump spent 4 years praising putin...
Concurrently with the subject of evaluating media...
On a day when the Russian foreign minister praised Fox News for “trying to present some alternative point of view”, and amid controversy over Fox News hosts and guests repeating Russian disinformation, Hannity also mocked Joe Biden and read out a Kremlin statement attacking the US president.

Tams

Gold Member
Because the majority of those people worship this guy and take everything he says as gospel:
incredulous what are you doing GIF
It still boggles my mind a bit that even after two people working for them get killed and one wounded by the Russians, Fox still put up with that clown.

I mean, I do get it. They only really care for money and he brings in the viewers.

That said, you Americans need to bring him in on treason charges or something. To fly the US flag behind him like some patriot when he's at best a tool of the Kremlin is shameful.

Thaedolus

It still boggles my mind a bit that even after two people working for them get killed and one wounded by the Russians, Fox still put up with that clown.

I mean, I do get it. They only really care for money and he brings in the viewers.

That said, you Americans need to bring him in on treason charges or something. To fly the US flag behind him like some patriot when he's at best a tool of the Kremlin is shameful.
Well, I don’t want to derail the thread but Fox isn’t even owned by an American.

Anyway, I thought this was at least a nice bipartisan gesture:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member

Ahh right, a guy saying something you don't like on TV means he should be charged with treason. What a lover of Freedom and Democracy you are. That'll show Putin!

Vestal

We need to censor the press and criminalize dissent. For Freedom!!!
You just described the problem with News in general today...

Tucker Carlson is considered part of the Press, when in reality he is not a journalist and is not bound by basic journalistic principles..

Personally I have no issue with Tucker saying what he says, just easier to point and laugh at him.. My only problem is that unfortunately because he is on FoxNews, what he says is being taken as FACT by a lot of people who have been conditioned to ignore anything that is not Fox.

Talk show hosts like Tucker, Maddow, Lemon, Hannity, O'Donnell, etc etc etc.. Are not Journalist for the most part. They are political bullhorns.

RAÏSanÏa

Tucker Carlson is considered part of the Press, when in reality he is not a journalist and is not bound by basic journalistic principles..

Personally I have no issue with Tucker saying what he says, just easier to point and laugh at him.. My only problem is that unfortunately because he is on FoxNews, what he says is being taken as FACT by a lot of people who have been conditioned to ignore anything that is not Fox.

Talk show hosts like Tucker, Maddow, Lemon, Hannity, O'Donnell, etc etc etc.. Are not Journalist for the most part. They are political bullhorns.
And often the stuff that gets repeated if not careful are the bullhorns and not the press. Partly due to the bullhorns attacking the credibility of the press when in actuality the press has to adheres to principles.
Opinions are fake news.
It's up to the citizens of each nation to decide how to balance free speech with treason and incitement according to their laws.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Exactly Anderson Cooper, Wolf Blitzer, Brett Baier and Mike Wallace are journalists but the editorialists and FOX MSNBC and CNN are cringe city opinion bloviators…it really shows too in a crisis that actual journalism and coverage of live events is compelling but it only gets eyeballs in a crisis.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

The press in the US isn't just for journalism, it is also for education and entertainment. Tucker Carlson and Rachel Maddow are entertainment press. They have the right to discuss newsy subjects for the purpose of entertainment. It's not a glitch, it's a feature.

So I’ll just point out the fact that our entire news and social media establishment actively suppressed and censored a story about our current President’s son and his influence peddling/corruption a month before his dad’s election that those same news organizations now admit is true. They gathered a bunch of former intel people to say that story was Russian disinformation and suppressed the story. Then 2 years later they sort of nonchalantly admit that, whoops, it was actually true.

So say what you want about people like Tucker Carlson or Maddow but at least they’re upfront about where they are coming from. They don’t cloak themselves as impartiality like some kind of wolf in sheep’s clothing. The idea that “news” is some sacred enterprise only that some kind of journalistic priesthood gets to partake isn’t how things work.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

So I’ll just point out the fact that our entire news and social media establishment actively suppressed and censored a story about our current President’s son and his influence peddling/corruption a month before his dad’s election that those same news organizations now admit is true. They gathered a bunch of former intel people to say that story was Russian disinformation and suppressed the story. Then 2 years later they sort of nonchalantly admit that, whoops, it was actually true.

So say what you want about people like Tucker Carlson or Maddow but at least they’re upfront about where they are coming from. They don’t cloak themselves as impartiality like some kind of wolf in sheep’s clothing. The idea that “news” is some sacred enterprise only that some kind of journalistic priesthood gets to partake isn’t how things work.
You stick up for them and repeat their nonsense and your opinion about actual news echoes Q propaganda.

Since it pertains to Ukraine

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

This is ridiculous. Many reporters say things that are dumb or add to misinformation by what they report and what they don’t. That doesn’t make them treasonous. I don’t know what TUCKER has said but I doubt it is treason. It isn’t a bad thing for people to have a different point of view.

talking about US politicians using Ukraine for money laundering isn’t treasonous.

I think Russia and Putin are reprehensible but there are issues in Ukraine too.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Why are you people constantly trying to derail the thread to discuss Trump and Republicans?
I think people are having a hard time distinguishing between a discussion that’s narrowly focus on the current events vs. the greater discussion about the how and why we got here, which is necessarily political and therefore not allowed. And it’s hard to resist the urge to not refute stuff you know isn’t correct, so it spirals quickly into a locked thread

tl;dr stfu about that stuff

Wildebeest

This is ridiculous. Many reporters say things that are dumb or add to misinformation by what they report and what they don’t. That doesn’t make them treasonous. I don’t know what TUCKER has said but I doubt it is treason. It isn’t a bad thing for people to have a different point of view.

talking about US politicians using Ukraine for money laundering isn’t treasonous.

I think Russia and Putin are reprehensible but there are issues in Ukraine too.
It depends. After World War 2 British subjects who were used to broadcast German propaganda were tried for treason. And the death penalty was used. If things get nasty enough, then the laughs you get from being entertained by jackasses mocking your country and its leaders wears thin. Especially when they start directly threatening you for not submitting to the military of another nation.

Atrus

Gold Member

Mariupol is both a site of hope and great tragedy.

They’re completely surrounded and have pinned down a force 5x their number, bogging down the Russian advance. There’s something like 3,000 Ukrainians defending against a force of 14,000 according to another recent video request for help.

But there’s no real way for the Ukrainian forces to relive them since they’re so close to the Russian border.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
It depends. After World War 2 British subjects who were used to broadcast German propaganda were tried for treason. And the death penalty was used. If things get nasty enough, then the laughs you get from being entertained by jackasses mocking your country and its leaders wears thin. Especially when they start directly threatening you for not submitting to the military of another nation.
the NY Times covered up concentration camps for a time too. But they were not tried for treason.

Wildebeest

the NY Times covered up concentration camps for a time too. But they were not tried for treason.
I can't remember exactly what was going on with that story. It could be they didn't want their existence to leak in case it demoralized people. Also, with wartime propaganda there is a real problem that when telling the truth people might start to break from your narrative because they find what you are saying too incredible. There is a famous example where US forces in Europe offered surrendering German soldiers good treatment, including details like bacon for breakfast. The German soldiers just found it impossible to believe that the US had so much many bacon rations and fought on.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Oh yeah... it so depends... oh wait nvm we're not at war with Russia, Ukraine is. Mocking your leaders during wartime 'wears thin'? Yep remember all those traitors executed for mocking Bush while Iraq went to shit? God forbid we acknowledge that our policies and dalliances in Ukraine helped lead to the shit show they're in. The one they're in. Not the one we're in.

What seems obvious to me is that standing up to Putin at an earlier point, be it 2008, or 2014, would have led to a better outcome for the Ukranian people. Where we're at now it seems like we're just going to throw our money and tech at the Ukranians and hope that it's enough to stop Russia then and there. We don't particularly risk nuclear war that way as that's always been the game right? One of us invades some smaller country, and then the other supplies that country with weapons and training in the hopes of getting the aggressor caught in a quagmire. And it's sure being presented to us at this point that Russia is caught up in a war that they can't outright win. Of course I got to wonder a little bit about that... the narrative that Russia was supposed to achieve complete victory in 2 days didn't make a whole lot sense. Wouldn't that have been the quickest and most complete victory possibly in the history of warfare?

So I'll sit here and hope the Ukranians can repel Russia, and that my country doesn't have to get directly involved on the off chance that Putin goes (literally) nuclear since I live a mile from a military base and I'm selfish like that.

chromhound

Gold Member
Last edited:

shit is getting weird boys
Makes sense, some people are overly skeptical of the mainstream view, even if the mainstream is correct for once. I've been struggling with this myself, I support Ukraine but by doing that I find myself on the same side as many people who are literally wrong about everything. Feels weird for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom