• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Depends when he joined FSB. If he was KGB and then FSB, like Putin, then yea nothing really different. But if he was FSB after the fall of the wall, he could be different.
I would like to share your optimism, however FSB definitely make sure they only have like-minded people in their ranks. After all they controlling domestic wise everything Putin says. Sure it could be Stalin > Khrushchev situation, but I would like to see someone from pro-west side. Which obviously discards Navalnyj, just to be clear. Who was very happy for annexation of Crimea.

I would like to share your optimism, however FSB definitely make sure they only have like-minded people in their ranks. After all they controlling domestic wise everything Putin says. Sure it could be Stalin > Khrushchev situation, but I would like to see someone from pro-west side. Which obviously discards Navalnyj, just to be clear. Who was very happy for annexation of Crimea.
And I’d like to see $1 billion in my bank account. But let’s be realistic.

Gp1

False logic. What he’s already done hasn’t helped Russia in any way.

There are only two scenarios here. You either

a) Believe he’s a rational actor and therefore his actions can be predicted.

b) Believe he’s irrational and unpredictable.

The answer here is nobody knows for sure. So claiming a) as a certainty which your premise relies on is only a possibility, not a certainty.

I agree that likely it won’t happen, however Russia has already escalated to the use of hypersonic missiles. That is concerning as is Putins recent speeches and rallies. Those are not indicative of reason.
I believe more on a third option

C. He is rational but "no one" in the West know how logic he is yet because a great portion of his rhetoric post invasion is oriented for his domestical policies/situation. A situation which a good portion of the West simply is not aware of. Especially after Russia failed their sick version of blitz.

Sure, inside intelligence/geopolitical circles someone is analysing him by that pov. But on the mainstream (media and public)? I don't believe it.

Last edited:
I believe more on a third option

C. He is rational but "no one" in the West know how logic he is yet because a great portion of his rhetoric post invasion is oriented for his domestical policies/situation. A situation which a good portion of the West simply is not aware of. Especially after Russia failed their sick version of blitz.

Sure, inside intelligence/geopolitical circles someone is analysing him by that pov. But on the mainstream (media and public)? I don't believe it.
I just don’t see how he can sell the narrative to his own people that this is purely defensive and about demilitarization of Nazis in Ukraine if he uses a nuclear weapon on some city. The whole thing doesn’t really make sense anyway. But if you start dropping nuclear bombs, the idea that you’re really there to stop a genocide or whatever seems like it would fall apart completely.

LQX

First footage from inside Mariupol

His channel is like the alternative universe. The Russians are the good guys trying to save lives and the Ukrainians the bad guys destroying everything. Not sure what to make of it. He says he is independent but I'm not buying it. That said, those that are complaining about the coverage being one sided might want to subscribe to his channel as it shows everything from the Russian perspective.

Romulus

I get that there are alot of fierce Ukrainians out there, but what in the actual fuck is happening to these Russians that every day is another video of some Z convoy burning.

I guess it's just a combination of the Russians being terrible at war and the Ukrainians are defending their homeland.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Jesus. Is that what a warzone looks like?
Nah it’s the new section of Disneyland 😬

I get that there are alot of fierce Ukrainians out there, but what in the actual fuck is happening to these Russians that every day is another video of some Z convoy burning.

I guess it's just a combination of the Russians being terrible at war and the Ukrainians are defending their homeland.

It’s all of the above. Ukrainians are getting fed cutting edge weapons and are trained to use them. We’re giving them intel on troop movements. They’re defending their homes. The Russians clearly don’t value the lives of their troops or their equipment, haven’t maintained their shit, and are apparently high on their only ample supply of hubris.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Russian youtuber giving some more insight. His previous two videos are good too.
He says the Z is everywhere in st petersburg and there is shortages of everything.
He alsoe xpect youtube to be closed down in russia soon... which I believe so too.

Not looking good. Reminds me too much of germany pre ww2... Hungry people will either revolt or become more gullible

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Just remember we're getting all the pro western pro Ukrainian footage, no doubt the scum are showing off their clips of burnt out Ukrainian tanks etc on their version of Twitter/Facebook or whatever the hell they use

Reactions: Gp1

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Russian youtuber giving some more insight. His previous two videos are good too.
He says the Z is everywhere in st petersburg and there is shortages of everything.
He alsoe xpect youtube to be closed down in russia soon... which I believe so too.

Not looking good. Reminds me too much of germany pre ww2... Hungry people will either revolt or become more gullible

Really like NFKRz "your friendly neighbourhood Russians" footage, he's like a sensible normal guy in some dystopian 1984 bizarro world, I'm surprised he hasn't been suicided

QSD

Hey yeah I watched some of this guy's video's too. I'm kinda glad he made the decision to leave and got out safely.

Member of Russia-installed so-called "Kherson rescue committee for peace and order", Pavel Slobodchikov, shot dead in occupied Kherson,his wife in grave condition.​

renderTimingPixel.png

twitter.com/uawire...

I expect this to happen a lot. I feel bad for the wife, but you know what could happen if you are another Putin puppet.

Russia is not Germany pre WWII in terms of their position in the world. Their military has proven woefully inadequate for a large scale campaign against any kind of meaningful, sophisticated resistance. Also, unlike Germany, the rest of the world isn’t going to march into Russia and force a regime change. There might be a few domestic similarities, but the fundamentals are very different.

BigBooper

"Believe me, I am absolutely honest," she said, so this kindly old lady must be telling the truth.

She also says that Ukrainian cities have not been destroyed at all:

Something only possible to believe if you're blind and on a 24/7 drip feed of Russian propaganda.

That's amazing, but what's most interesting to me is they seem to be laying the groundwork for having a reason for losing. She said of course Russia will withdraw when the de-nazification in complete.

If their reasons for invasion are fake, then their qualifications for victory are too and Russia could withdraw at any time and claim victory among their people even without gaining any territory or strategic advantage.

Wildebeest

Russia is not Germany pre WWII in terms of their position in the world. Their military has proven woefully inadequate for a large scale campaign against any kind of meaningful, sophisticated resistance. Also, unlike Germany, the rest of the world isn’t going to march into Russia and force a regime change. There might be a few domestic similarities, but the fundamentals are very different.
Russian economy would probably be booming without the sanctions from the 2014 invasion of Ukraine. Russia has an absolute ton of free land that they could use if they needed space to expand into. They have huge natural resources and access to trade ports, shipping, pipelines, whatever. What they are missing is demographics in terms of a surplus of young educated people, but sending them off to die in Ukraine or driving them to emigrate doesn't help with that at all. What they are doing is absolutely senseless when you look at it pragmatically.

Gp1

I just don’t see how he can sell the narrative to his own people that this is purely defensive and about demilitarization of Nazis in Ukraine if he uses a nuclear weapon on some city. The whole thing doesn’t really make sense anyway. But if you start dropping nuclear bombs, the idea that you’re really there to stop a genocide or whatever seems like it would fall apart completely.

Against a city is highly improbable, but in an open inhabited area? Just as a show of force or as a escalation to deescalate? I really don't know...

He controls the media and the internet to some extent. That is highly effective especially with the older and less cosmopolitan population.
That and as long as he can control the armed forces (ie. the Rosguardia was probably created as his "Republican guard" with that intention), he can shove whatever "truth" he need down the population throat to stay in power.

Imho you guys are thinking like as if Russia is a democracy or something close to it.

Changing the subject a bit...

From The drive Warzone

The Irpin River's natural confluence with the Dneper is below the Kyiv Reservoir water level, meaning the river only flows if water is pumped up into the reservoir. The locks and pumps at the reservoir's edge were reportedly destroyed and are now occupied by Russian forces, leading the river to slowly back up and flood against the reservoir. The flooding may help defenders in Kyiv keep Russian forces at bay, but it is also an increasingly horrific problem for civilians still trapped in the area.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

There’s something I find really scary these days, and it’s the people refusing to believe what traditional news media report, while at the same time believing any shit they read on social media as if it were undeniable facts.

I was looking at the comments of a tweet from a previous post and found an account that was posting videos of (apparently) Ukrainian nazis and stuff. And he literally posted nothing but pro communist stuff. I decided to go back on his timeline to his tweets before the war (the account was created in 2015).

To the surprise of no one, not a single tweet was made before the war. After the war started though, he posts several times a day. It’s very obvious who runs these accounts, but there are people out there who don’t see it and take this shit as the truth because the media/governments “can’t be trusted”.

It scares me how effective Russia propaganda is, even outside of Russia.

Romulus

I would pit 1940s prime Germany against these Russians in a ground war. Just from an organization/tactics/grit standpoint they would exploit the more modern Army in a matter of days.

Tams

Gold Member
There’s something I find really scary these days, and it’s the people refusing to believe what traditional news media report, while at the same time believing any shit they read on social media as if it were undeniable facts.

I was looking at the comments of a tweet from a previous post and found an account that was posting videos of (apparently) Ukrainian nazis and stuff. And he literally posted nothing but pro communist stuff. I decided to go back on his timeline to his tweets before the war (the account was created in 2015).

To the surprise of no one, not a single tweet was made before the war. After the war started though, he posts several times a day. It’s very obvious who runs these accounts, but there are people out there who don’t see it and take this shit as the truth because the media/governments “can’t be trusted”.

It scares me how effective Russia propaganda is, even outside of Russia.
I think there are a lot of 'sleeper' accounts now. They wised-up to being called out for using new accounts, and of course earlier it was harder to have an old account due to many not thinking social media would play such a critical role.

But some will just be genuine people who just made an account and didn't use it, but now feel insenced (not necessarily for sane, good or right reasons) enough to start using it.

I know I've 'brought back to life' some of my dormant accounts. Just posting mainstream news outlet articles though, none of this conspiracy or blatant propaganda bullshit.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m starting to think this will last throughout the rest of the year. Ukraine is fighting for their existence so they’re not going to give up, and I feel like Putin thinks he’s going to be killed/overthrown if he loses this. Ukraine is getting tons of supplies from allies and I don’t know if Russia will run out of supplies or get help from someone else.

I’m also wondering if some of the neighboring countries don’t eventually start to see this as a rare opportunity to push Russia back while they’re down due to the incompetence we’ve seen and directly join in helping Ukraine with soldiers on the ground.

LQX

You can already tell he has a lot more freedom to say what he wants. I have watched a few of these Russian street interviews and so many seem genuinely terrified to say the wrong thing. I had no idea Russia was this oppressive. The internet had me fooled. I'm not even sure anymore if the Russian people are in on the memes or even the aggrandizing of their country and Putin that you have seen here in the US in the past few years.

RAÏSanÏa

TIME is Russian propaganda confirmed

Connections being made between acts of terror and Azov is something Azov appears to be aware of according to the American analyst @ 6:20.

The video itself even tries to make terrorist implications with the Oklahoma City reference in the introduction then in the outro to other acts of terror which Azov had nothing to do with.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Young people growing up with the Internet never learned critical thinking and parents were too busy shuffling them to tennis games and other places and not sitting and explaining this stuff.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
TIME is Russian propaganda confirmed

Stating the fact that the Azov Battalion exists and that some of their ranks flirt with far-right nationalist rhetoric and neo-nazi symbolism is not propaganda.

Claiming that they are a major influence in the Ukrainian military or the Ukrainian government is propaganda.

Claiming that their existence proves Putin's rationale to "de-nazify" Ukraine is propaganda.

Claiming that they have larger influence than they actually do is propaganda.

Ignoring the steps the Ukrainian government has taken to liberalize the country is propaganda.

Implying that anything having to do with the Azov Battalion somehow justifies Russia's war of aggression on a sovereign nation is propaganda.

See the difference?

The war started in 2014. Most of you just didn't pay attention to it.

and even then that's not the context for the article

On her lap was a copy of the Russian constitution, which she began reading to the heavily armoured police around her. Behind them was a demonstration calling for transparent Moscow elections, in which several people were injured.

On 27 July Olga was among thousands of people attending an unauthorised protest in Moscow against the bar on opposition activists running in the Duma election. Several prominent opposition leaders were detained ahead of the rally.

Stating the fact that the Azov Battalion exists and that some of their ranks flirt with far-right nationalist rhetoric and neo-nazi symbolism is not propaganda.

Claiming that they are a major influence in the Ukrainian military or the Ukrainian government is propaganda.

Claiming that their existence proves Putin's rationale to "de-nazify" Ukraine is propaganda.

Claiming that they have larger influence than they actually do is propaganda.

Ignoring the steps the Ukrainian government has taken to liberalize the country is propaganda.

Implying that anything having to do with the Azov Battalion somehow justifies Russia's war of aggression on a sovereign nation is propaganda.

See the difference?
I only see that propaganda is the newest word that lost all meaning and can't be used by normal people anymore.

Wildebeest

Hey guys, have you ever heard of this political party called "Russian National Unity". I just heard about them and their logo seems a little sussy. I don't know what those boys would do with themselves if they were banned, hopefully nothing bad.

LimanimaPT

Hey guys, have you ever heard of this political party called "Russian National Unity". I just heard about them and their logo seems a little sussy. I don't know what those boys would do with themselves if they were banned, hopefully nothing bad.
There are also nazis in Russia! Let's invade Russia, destroy apartment buildings, schools and hospitals and kill inocent people!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom