• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberpunkd

Seems like the West are trying to bring down Russia via Ukraine proxy using Ukraine blood.

We know Russia are not going to walk away from this empty handed. The best outcome for the world is for Ukraine to accept a neutral status which is not too much to ask considering their location.
The U.S would not have a foe on its borders with missiles pointing at them. We should understand Russia would not accept this also.
Obligatory:

This place is stuffed to the brim with Russian weapons and bordering NATO countries. But hey, apparently Kremlin can do ‘whatever it wants’:

sinnergy

Seems like these absolute fucking bastards are stepping up the attacks on Kyiv

Off course they are .. they can’t seem to win easily , so they resort to tactics that are barbaric , not from this time .. but Putin likes to life in the 50s, it’s to bad the people of Russia will also .. probably will be even more hateful towards the west in the next decades .

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if NATO had made it public that there was no way Ukraine was going to join NATO, would that have prevented this war?
No. The existence of NATO might have been an irritant against their plans for expansion and ideology but that was only an excuse. NATO is a defensive pact and had no military plans to invade Russia.
Russia's got de-nazification and several other historical revisionist and religious lies to support their war. NATO was just added bullshit.

Why tell Ukraine that publicly the door remains open?
Russia doesn't get to tell anyone else what to do or how they can do it. They can fuck right off.

He also said that some NATO members are against Ukraine becoming a member, but didn't say which nations. Any idea who these might be?
No idea and possibly not disclosed. Maybe some hints if you looked into it by doing a google search. Even if finding stuff not directly related to Ukraine learning some of the reasoning for selection might be insightful into the procedures and standards for you.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

No. The existence of NATO might have been an irritant against their plans for expansion and ideology but that was only an excuse. NATO is a defensive pact and had no military plans to invade Russia.
Russia's got de-nazification and several other historical revisionist and religious lies to support their war. NATO was just added bullshit.
Exactly, Ukraine’s neutrality is an excuse. Not to mention Russia broke their own fucking agreement guaranteeing Ukraine sovereignty:

Russia tells US envoy that Russian-American relations are on the verge of rupture​

renderTimingPixel.png

usatoday.com/story/...

Then why not kick Putin out and have a real person who cares about Russia?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm pretty sure that NATO expansion is the main reason for this war. But not because it threatens Russia in anyway but because it threatens Putins ego.

RAÏSanÏa

I'm pretty sure that NATO expansion is the main reason for this war. But not because it threatens Russia in anyway but because it threatens Putins ego.
That's part of what was said during some speeches. It seems misleading and not the real reason considering they've pushed domestically de-nazification and their wrongly held belief in a historical claim to the point of obsession in their culture. They were preparing the nation for this for a long time.

This is nuts if accurate

counting bodies like cigs is the rhythm of these war bums.

Makes the Ukrainian numbers look fairly accurate.

Damn, I remember when I threw a flag of my country into the garbage when I was a kid and the teacher made a Reunion for this....

Theater props from the rally last week.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Seems like the West are trying to bring down Russia via Ukraine proxy using Ukraine blood.

We know Russia are not going to walk away from this empty handed. The best outcome for the world is for Ukraine to accept a neutral status which is not too much to ask considering their location.
The U.S would not have a foe on its borders with missiles pointing at them. We should understand Russia would not accept this also.
What missiles would Ukraine point at Russia? What are you even talking about?

Raven117

This phrase somewhat implies that the West is "using" Ukraine. The Ukranians were going to fight the Russians with sticks and stones if they had to...The West gave them better weapons to do it.

Is it a proxy war? Yes. But if Ukraine didn't' want to fight, no body would make them.

Wildebeest

I'd like someone to explain to me what the US gains from wrecking the worlds economy, putting food and energy security in allied countries in doubt, risking the peace dividend and dollar hegemony, and starting a new nuclear arms race. Seems to me that they gain sweet FA from any of this and would desperately like to avoid all of it.

rnlval

As someone from Eastern Europe from a country that suffered for centuries under Russian hegemony:

I am baffled that the West tries to 'life hack' Russia, when it is really simple: Russia only values strength, it detests and exploits weak nations and countries. As painful as it sounds: Ukraine had since 2014 to do anything about Crimea.

I am equally surprised nobody tried to show Russia by rejecting the West they become more dependent on China.
In the end, feelings are useless without firepower to implement them. This is the classic "hard power" game.

Liljagare

The RK-360MC Neptune antiship cruise missile could be repurposed, though unsure how many Ukraine bought. They just started arming the 2nd battallion in 2021. Doubt they are interested in this though, Ukraine just wants to hold out as long as possible.

Though there are photos of a captured Iskander launcher. That farmer could turn it around, and launch remaining missiles with some aid from the military.

(cant believe how much those farmers have been dragging home to the barns, sort of a fun note in all this misery).

dotnotbot

Oh look at me!!!!

Poland was within their rights to shoot them down but of course they didn't. This show of weakness from the west is why Russia continues to do whatever they want.

Most likely fake, it's second time ukrainian side claims that something violated polish airspace but Poland didn't observe anything like that. There's tons of NATO aircrafts and drones flying close to eastern borders of NATO right now so I'm sure we would've known better.

Last edited:

asustitan

Banned
What missiles would Ukraine point at Russia? What are you even talking about

Maybe you should let Putin know that NATO never share weapons and host base defence systems across the nations.
He's gone this far not knowing what you know. Silly billy.

And all that with the Cold War, all for nothing. Historical enemies shouldn't concern each other being nextdoor.
I forget the good relations we have between Israel and its neighbours who are culturally different.

Naïve ones.

Last edited:
Maybe you should let Putin know that NATO never share weapons and host base defence systems across the nations.

And all that with the Cold War, all for nothing. Historical enemies shouldn't concern each other being nextdoor.
I forget the good relations we have between Israel and its neighbours who are culturally different.

Naïve ones.

This is pretty incoherent. Can you compose yourself and try again?

Celcius

°Temp. member
First Putin wanted to get Ukraine to join him and become part of Russia, but that didn’t work. What if next he says that he’s going to wipe them out and then they just start intentionally shooting civilians and saying that their plan is to exterminate them and destroy every building. Would the rest of the world not even jump in then?

Wildebeest

First Putin wanted to get Ukraine to join him and become part of Russia, but that didn’t work. What if next he says that he’s going to wipe them out and then they just start intentionally shooting civilians and saying that their plan is to exterminate them and destroy every building. Would the rest of the world not even jump in then?
Let me tell you a little story about this country called Syria and what happened when a bunch of fine lads and lasses decided that democracy might be an improvement...

BigBooper

What if he started eating newborn infants in milk for breakfast? Some things you can't decide until they happen.

Thaedolus

It sounds like the EU has another sanctions package cutting off gas trade ready to go if Russia crosses more red lines, which are speculated to be some sort of WMD/chemical weapon use. I’m not sure anyone is going to do more than that unless Russia does hit NATO countries, and even then, I bet it’s slap on the wrist

FunkMiller

Yes, yes. This is of course somehow our fault.

And it’s certainly not to much to ask for Ukraine to do exactly what Putin wants.

Good grief.

Atrus

Gold Member
:(

The Nazi classification he's wearing identifies him as a Russian/Soviet political prisoner as well.

"Born on January 20, 1926 in Bondari, near Sumy, he was captured by the Germans in 1942 and interned in Dortmund as a prisoner of war. He managed to escape but was recaptured, deported to Buchenwald and forced to forced labor in October 1943. For a time he was forced to collaborate with the Germans in the construction of the V2 ballistic missiles at the Peenemuende base, then transferred to the concentration camps of Mittelbau. -Dora and Bergen-Belsen.

After the war, he helped establish an aid network for former victims of the Nazi persecution in Ukraine. "

:messenger_neutral:

The guy was captured by literal Nazis at age 16 and survived, likely survived the Holodomor too, only to have Putin finish what Hitler started 80 year ago.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

Naïve ones.
The US has ICBMs and stealth subs that can launch enough cruise missiles to destroy Russia. NATO doesn't need any missile bases in Ukraine.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

As an armoured vehicle enthusiast this one hurts, but within specific very autistic circles Ukraine has just destroyed a legend. Not to be confused with the "Black Eagle" as that never had a functioning turret, this was the real deal, and was essentially a one off "Ultimate T-80". This thing never belonged on a battlefield but should have been in a museum.

Well done Ukraine, this is akin to some one shooting down the prototype of the RAH-66 Comanche. Anouther Russian legend destroyed on your soil.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

I'd like someone to explain to me what the US gains from wrecking the worlds economy, putting food and energy security in allied countries in doubt, risking the peace dividend and dollar hegemony, and starting a new nuclear arms race. Seems to me that they gain sweet FA from any of this and would desperately like to avoid all of it.
US hegemony has been losing steam for some time. If russia goes bankrupt and Putin gets dethroned, there is a chance to turn russia away from china and towards the west again. Might be enough to reverse the trend and keep china and others from acting out for another century...

FunkMiller

The US has ICBMs and stealth subs that can launch enough cruise missiles to destroy Russia. NATO doesn't need any missile bases in Ukraine.

I don’t think folks quite realise the extent and the sophistication of the weaponry that NATO has at its disposal. It’s why Putin is being such a scared little bitch. He knows he’s hopelessly outclassed and is essentially picking on an easy opponent to make his tiny little genitalia feel a bit bigger.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don’t think folks quite realise the extent and the sophistication of the weaponry that NATO has at its disposal. It’s why Putin is being such a scared little bitch. He knows he’s hopelessly outclassed and is essentially picking on an easy opponent to make his tiny little genitalia feel a bit bigger.

This. NATO outclasses Russia (and the CSTO) in every field. This is mostly thanks to the US, who alone outclass Russia in every area. This is why Russia won't risk going into NATO territory.

This is why I'm baffled by people such as Guy Verhofstadt saying this war shows why the EU needs a unified army?

This. NATO outclasses Russia (and the CSTO) in every field. This is mostly thanks to the US, who alone outclass Russia in every area. This is why Russia won't risk going into NATO territory.

This is why I'm baffled by people such as Guy Verhofstadt saying this war shows why the EU needs a unified army?

Don't listen to Verhofstadt, he's despised in his home country and ran of to the EU when he was done shitting up Belgium and everyone saw trough his bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom