• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildebeest

There are also nazis in Russia! Let's invade Russia, destroy apartment buildings, schools and hospitals and kill inocent people!
I think it must be fake news when people say that Russia has the highest proportion of neo-nazis in any country in the world. That can't be right, can it? I mean, I know that all neo-nazis across the west idolize Russia and Putin, but that is just some whacky coincidence, right?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So, against my better judgement, I've been on Twitter looking at news from the war in Ukraine. I can across a thread that appears to show Ukrainian paramilitary groups and national guard torturing Ukrainian citizens for reasons including supporting Russia, failing to join the fight against Russia and other reasons.

I'm not sure how legit this information is and if it's some kind of Russian propaganda. The language spoken appears to be Ukrainian, but that's not evidence enough. The Twitter account is also shaddy as it blocks who can follow it and reply.

I am hesitant to post it here for a few reasons. First, it's a really hard watch. Regardless who these people are, nobody should be treated like that. Second, it might be fake and lastly I don't want people to think I'm pro-Putin trying to spread misinformation. I'm just interested to know if this this real or not.

Vestal

So, against my better judgement, I've been on Twitter looking at news from the war in Ukraine. I can across a thread that appears to show Ukrainian paramilitary groups and national guard torturing Ukrainian citizens for reasons including supporting Russia, failing to join the fight against Russia and other reasons.

I'm not sure how legit this information is and if it's some kind of Russian propaganda. The language spoken appears to be Ukrainian, but that's not evidence enough. The Twitter account is also shaddy as it blocks who can follow it and reply.

I am hesitant to post it here for a few reasons. First, it's a really hard watch. Regardless who these people are, nobody should be treated like that. Second, it might be fake and lastly I don't want people to think I'm pro-Putin trying to spread misinformation. I'm just interested to know if this this real or not.
Given what you said about that Twitter accounts behavior, and that its Twitter I would say its fake and would treat it as such.

Cyberpunkd

I'm not sure how legit this information is and if it's some kind of Russian propaganda.
How about you verify the information yourself instead of ‘just throwing it out there’?

Asking Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

IDKFA

How about you verify the information yourself instead of ‘just throwing it out there’?

Asking Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

I thought throwing out to GAF might have been a good start. It's not being reported by Western MSM, which is a red flag that it's Russian propaganda. I found a few news articles mentioning it, but they weren't news sites I've ever heard of.

I don't think the question should be is it real or fake, but rather: does it matter if it is real? It could absolutely be real, this is a country in a war and it has conscription, it could be treating its conscientious objectors that way. But even if it's real it would still not change my thoughts or feelings on the conflict. The slow painting of Ukraine, Ukraine's military and Ukranians as no angels as a means to discredit them, through suggestion, give credence to the invaders is a propagandist's trick.

IDKFA

I don't think the question should be is it real or fake, but rather: does it matter if it is real? It could absolutely be real, this is a country in a war and it has conscription, it could be treating its conscientious objectors that way. But even if it's real it would still not change my thoughts or feelings on the conflict. The slow painting of Ukraine, Ukraine's military and Ukranians as no angels as a means to discredit them, through suggestion, give credence to the invaders is a propagandist's trick.

Even if it is real, it doesn't change my view either. Russia are still the aggressors, have wrongly invaded Ukraine and Ukraine is rightfully fighting for its independence and national identity.

I still found the videos shocking, but not that surprising in a country that is being invaded. There is so much misinformation going about that I wasn't sure if what I was looking at was real or Russian propaganda, but since western MSM isn't reporting it, I'm going for Russian BS.

IDKFA

Poland was within their rights to shoot them down but of course they didn't. This show of weakness from the west is why Russia continues to do whatever they want.

Less weakness and more to do with not wanting the war to spread out of Ukraine and dragging Europe into total war.

Did the Russian stock market open like they said it would?

doesn't look like it, nothing has been traded since February 25th

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Did the Russian stock market open like they said it would?
doesn't look like it, nothing has been traded since February 25th

I read somewhere this week they are allowing limited trading of certain kinds of things. But for the general stock market it "might" open next week.

RAÏSanÏa

This is what awaits all of Ukraine. :messenger_pouting:

That's the Russian plan if the Russians aren't destroyed and turned back.
Public executions were also revealed to be part of the Russian plan to quell dissent and uprisings in captured cities at the beginning of the month.

These unveilings won't make any Ukrainian defenders love or fear the Russians fascists more. They'll only harden cold determination from fury quenched tears of sorrow.

Sakura

The one target vehicle supposedly there doesn't even appear to be there when they dropped the bomb. They specifically targeted the building.
I think the more likely train of thought would be that there is munitions or other vehicles or something stored there (why would the vehicle go to the mall otherwise?).
I saw this post on twitter showing what looks like military vehicles under the sports gym, but I dunno if it is legit or not.

asustitan

Banned
Seems like the West are trying to bring down Russia via Ukraine proxy using Ukraine blood.

We know Russia are not going to walk away from this empty handed. The best outcome for the world is for Ukraine to accept a neutral status which is not too much to ask considering their location.
The U.S would not have a foe on its borders with missiles pointing at them. We should understand Russia would not accept this also.

Last edited:
Seems like the West are trying to bring down Russia via Ukraine proxy using Ukraine blood.

We know Russia are not going to walk away from this empty handed. The best outcome for the world is for Ukraine to accept a neutral status which is not too much to ask considering their location.
The U.S would not have a foe on its borders with missiles pointing at them. We should understand Russia would not accept this also.

The US and Russia share a border, and they both have military bases on either side.

And this is actually on its borders. Not with the Ukraine "buffer zone". Don't buy into the ruse.

Now onto the other point, I still think the amassing of troops and civilian terror strikes from Russia will draw Ukraine to capitulate on some points but I don't think all of Putin's weird demands will be met in any conventional sense.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

An unjustifiably high opinion that Russia will even walk away with any limbs at all if they continue.

Neutral is acceptable. Zelenskyy even indicated that.

Russia should leave Crimea with the rest of Ukraine then Ukraine could remain neutral and armed if they find that acceptable.

That sounds like a better outcome than your best outcome.

NickFire

That's some next level nonsense right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom