• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildebeest

US hegemony has been losing steam for some time. If russia goes bankrupt and Putin gets dethroned, there is a chance to turn russia away from china and towards the west again. Might be enough to reverse the trend and keep china and others from acting out for another century...
Seems like it isn't a very parsimonious explanation, since it was Russia who attacked. Many people will think that the US looks weak anyway for using sanctions that impose so much hardship on other countries but not risking any of their own forces to end the conflict and the humanitarian crisis. What use is that huge American army if they can never actually use it when it is needed, only to get bogged down in conflicts in weak countries with no clear objectives.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

This. NATO outclasses Russia (and the CSTO) in every field. This is mostly thanks to the US, who alone outclass Russia in every area. This is why Russia won't risk going into NATO territory.

This is why I'm baffled by people such as Guy Verhofstadt saying this war shows why the EU needs a unified army?

Verhofstadt is part of the EU movement that wants an integrated European Union nation state... much like the USA, including its onw standing army.

Welcome to the actual reason most people in the UK wanted to leave the EU.

His attitude, along with many others in the EU bureaucracy, is another reason why Putin felt he could do what he's done. The EU was once a very efficient, and excellent trading bloc, but federalism has ruined it. Brexit was as a result of that... which of course was something Putin very much supported as something else that could weaken his enemies.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

This. NATO outclasses Russia (and the CSTO) in every field. This is mostly thanks to the US, who alone outclass Russia in every area. This is why Russia won't risk going into NATO territory.

This is why I'm baffled by people such as Guy Verhofstadt saying this war shows why the EU needs a unified army?

EU army, what possible could go wrong.

BigBooper

Seems like it isn't a very parsimonious explanation, since it was Russia who attacked. Many people will think that the US looks weak anyway for using sanctions that impose so much hardship on other countries but not risking any of their own forces to end the conflict and the humanitarian crisis. What use is that huge American army if they can never actually use it when it is needed, only to get bogged down in conflicts in weak countries with no clear objectives.
Putin still has his nukes, you know... Americans, at least the ones that are mentally competent, don't want to escalate a war with a nuclear power if we don't have to.

I am curious about how well maintained they are and how many would work given their failures in Ukraine so far though.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll

The people in the UK were gravely misguided by their politicians though. Villages that were cleaned up and subsidized by EU were voting pro Brexit and turned out to have no idea about the benefits that they just lost.

I don't think a post-nation state world is a bad idea. It seems people are not ready for it tho, clinging to their "heritage" whatever that actually means.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Putin still has his nukes, you know... Americans, at least the ones that are mentally competent, don't want to escalate a war with a nuclear power if we don't have to.

I am curious about how well maintained they are and how many would work given their failures in Ukraine so far though.
Apparently most of the modernization money has gone into them, but it is a black hole and who knows how much corruption has siphoned money away from them. The message sent by that hypersonic missile firing was clear, though.

But as for the question of Americans somehow "engineering" this war to make them look strong, then why would they engineer something where they look weak because they can't use their military directly?

BigBooper

Apparently most of the modernization money has gone into them, but it is a black hole and who knows how much corruption has siphoned money away from them. The message sent by that hypersonic missile firing was clear, though.

But as for the question of Americans somehow "engineering" this war to make them look strong, then why would they engineer something where they look weak because they can't use their military directly?
I read your post and the one you quoted and didn't see the theoretical question that started that chain. I don't believe that they engineered it, but as a thought experiment...

Russia is now engaged in a costly and dishonorable war that will hurt their world power and influence for many years to come. This is something that could benefit the US because not only will we potentially gain political influence, but we won't be spending as much money on world conflicts where Russia is financing the other side. Also though, with the hit to world trade and oil opening to trading other currencies, partly because of the currency backbone systems sanctions, the US economy could end up much worse off in the future, but that's uncertain.

As for engineering wars and not taking part in them militarily though, the US has been involved in that many times through political revolutions.

Wildebeest

As for engineering wars and not taking part in them militarily though, the US has been involved in that many times through political revolutions.
In this case, it is Russia who was attempting to "regime change" so I'm not really sure what the comparable war is.

Perhaps the Iraq-Iran conflict in the 1980s, but I can't really say that taking a side there really helped the US cause in the long term either.

asustitan

Banned
The people in the UK were gravely misguided by their politicians though. Villages that were cleaned up and subsidized by EU were voting pro Brexit and turned out to have no idea about the benefits that they just lost.

I don't think a post-nation state world is a bad idea. It seems people are not ready for it tho, clinging to their "heritage" whatever that actually means.

No they were not misguided just people like yourself thinking you know what the leavers actually want.

They don't want to be ruled and governed thousands of miles away. I'm not getting into the brexit argument I cba. Just stop patronising people who did vote that way by thinking they were misled.
They understood the subsidies sent back to the UK were less than what they were putting in. They were a net contributor to the EU fact.

"Oh those silly uneducated, didn't know what they were voting for" ...choose your own choice of words here.

Last edited:

acm2000

i think its pretty clear putin isnt talking "peace" until they have wiped out enough of the country to set them back 100 years, education, health care, arts, housing, you name it, this isnt indiscriminate shelling.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
"Oh those silly uneducated, didn't know what they were voting for" ...choose your own choice of words here.

Except those are not my words, but great strawmanning nonetheless. Best to leave this topic as is since it adds nothing to the discussion of the Ukraine war.

darrylgorn

This shit is giving me nightmares about ethnic cleansing. We better be committed to fighting it before Putin makes that nightmare a reality.

Sybrix

i think its pretty clear putin isnt talking "peace" until they have wiped out enough of the country to set them back 100 years, education, health care, arts, housing, you name it, this isnt indiscriminate shelling.

It's the same tactic they used in Syria, completely levelling towns and cities back to the middle ages.

I fear this war will go on for years now, town by town, city by city until they are obliterated.

Question is will NATO allow this to continue for years....

Cyberpunkd

The EU was once a very efficient, and excellent trading bloc, but federalism has ruined it.
EU was always a political concept first, economical ties were means to an end - preventing another war in Europe. People that say that the EU is a "trading bloc" do not understand why the EU was created in the first place. Federalism, "United States of Europe" is also a requirement in order to compete with the US and China.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This shit is giving me nightmares about ethnic cleansing. We better be committed to fighting it before Putin makes that nightmare a reality.
It's more about cleansing anything which does not support me, you don't have to concern yourself with deeper ideologies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I mean if they’re sending soldiers with ww2 gear and prototype tanks, they might be running out of actual functioning war supplies.

Would be hilarious tbh.

FunkMiller

EU was always a political concept first, economical ties were means to an end - preventing another war in Europe. People that say that the EU is a "trading bloc" do not understand why the EU was created in the first place. Federalism, "United States of Europe" is also a requirement in order to compete with the US and China.

Yeah, let’s just say that’s not how it was perceived - or promoted - by everyone concerned.

Anyway, the key point is Putin took advantage of divisions within the EU.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yeah, let’s just say that’s not how it was perceived - or promoted - by everyone concerned.

Anyway, the key point is Putin took advantage of divisions within the EU.

If people choose to ignore chunks of history is their decision, economic integration always meant to lead to political integration.

Let me quote you the Schuman declaration (1950) that proposed the creation of the carbon and steel trade agreement:

It proposes that Franco-German production of coal and steel as a whole be placed under a common High Authority, within the framework of an organization open to the participation of the other countries of Europe. The pooling of coal and steel production should immediately provide for the setting up of common foundations for economic development as a first step in the federation of Europe

Europe will not be made all at once, or according to a single plan. It will be built through concrete achievements which first create a de facto solidarity

this proposal will lead to the realization of the first concrete foundation of a European federation indispensable to the preservation of peace.

I could quote you decades of paneuropeism that led to this, but given the context you can’t deny that from the start the goal was beyond mere trade agreements which were conceived as means to an end.

edit: Additionally, during the actual signing of the treaty 1 year later in Paris the so called Europe Declaration/Charter of the communnity was signed: http://www.schuman.info/EuropeDeclaration.htm

Last edited:
Really???

Putin and whoever is doing this shit:

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
:(

Also, echoes from the past, still causes issues for Russia.

^ Also, the comments sections on some of these videos are completely taken over by trolls and bots.

i9EfWnz.png

Verhofstadt is part of the EU movement that wants an integrated European Union nation state... much like the USA, including its onw standing army.

His attitude, along with many others in the EU bureaucracy, is another reason why Putin felt he could do what he's done. The EU was once a very efficient, and excellent trading bloc, but federalism has ruined it. Brexit was as a result of that... which of course was something Putin very much supported as something else that could weaken his enemies.

Brexit was the single most dumbest thing the Brits have done. A EU army is the only way forward if we Europeans want to pull our own weight. The Ukraine conflict just accelerated that process, as European countries finally recognize the values of their union.

Havoc2049

Punk Rock band Beton out of Ukraine, with an update of London Calling by The Clash. This was filmed a few days ago in Lviv. I guess the lead singer is a doctor and has been treating Ukrainian soldiers and fighters since the war started, but took a moment out of his time to film this.

Ionian

No they were not misguided just people like yourself thinking you know what the leavers actually want.

They don't want to be ruled and governed thousands of miles away. I'm not getting into the brexit argument I cba. Just stop patronising people who did vote that way by thinking they were misled.
They understood the subsidies sent back to the UK were less than what they were putting in. They were a net contributor to the EU fact.

It's easy.

Catphish

Gold Member
Users at the Ukraine subreddit are reporting increasing notification of malware from their AVs. Some users reported a connection termination from the subreddit itself because their AV identified a threat on that connection.

Some of those users are reporting issues now with other web logins as well; Youtube and Paypal among them.

Something is up.

Catphish

Gold Member
Users at the Ukraine subreddit are reporting increasing notification of malware from their AVs. Some users reported a connection termination from the subreddit itself because their AV identified a threat on that connection.

Some of those users are reporting issues now with other web logins as well; Youtube and Paypal among them.

Something is up.
Looks like a false positive

SBU has intercepted a Russian soldier's phone call: "50% of our troops suffer from frostbites", "Even Chechnya wasn't this bad" - also, they're getting shelled by their own troops and their commanders are being disconnected from reality​

renderTimingPixel.png

In this position, I would be asking myself if my country really cares for me, fuck I would try to go back and kill the POS who send me to this....

Last edited:

MikeM

Seems like the West are trying to bring down Russia via Ukraine proxy using Ukraine blood.

We know Russia are not going to walk away from this empty handed. The best outcome for the world is for Ukraine to accept a neutral status which is not too much to ask considering their location.
The U.S would not have a foe on its borders with missiles pointing at them. We should understand Russia would not accept this also.
lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom