• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Edit: moving this to the top of the page, it's more important than shitting on hippy terrorists:

Holy cow has anyone posted this yet? This guy gets to tout the biggest “I fucking told you so” in history. Supposedly recorded in April of 21.

Can anyone verify that that is what he's saying?
He seems to be sticking his finger in Pooty-Poot's eye for planning this invasion. Did Vlad the Inflated have him killed for this video?

Why are we bringing hairbrained terrorists into this discussion? Leave Greenpeace at the children's table, this is a topic about what the grown ups are doing.

Last edited:

Rest

Holy cow has anyone posted this yet? This guy gets to tout the biggest “I fucking told you so” in history. Supposedly recorded in April of 21.

He seems to be sticking his finger in Pooty-Poot's eye for planning this invasion. Did Vlad the Inflated have him killed for this video?

RAÏSanÏa

History, media (not only pro nato), logic.
enhance-zoom.gif

Thaedolus

I don’t speak Russian so I suppose the translation could be fake, but the source video date uploaded matches.

Also:

Absolutely insane numbers. There’s just no scenario where this turns into something Russia can realistically call a victory. Even if they succeed in ousting Zelensky and reducing Ukraine to rubble, to what end? And even that outcome seems like it could be beyond their reach.

chromhound

Gold Member
I don’t speak Russian so I suppose the translation could be fake, but the source video date uploaded matches.

Also:

Absolutely insane numbers. There’s just no scenario where this turns into something Russia can realistically call a victory. Even if they succeed in ousting Zelensky and reducing Ukraine to rubble, to what end? And even that outcome seems like it could be beyond their reach.

Holy shit at that number...

RAÏSanÏa

d7yhpx3-f699507e-31d4-4b8b-9851-bb1b42eefe06.gif

Feeding and caring for all the POWs is going to need to be part of the humanitarian effort.

Also:

As long as Russia’s partners keep turning the screws and preparing to either cut themselves from Russia or for Russia to cut them off then Russia better be ready to be a completely isolated economy. Which is going to be a prolonged and difficult time for its population.

But if liberal governments and companies think “well we’ve signalled our virtue enough, time to get back to doing business with Russia”, like Renault, then you’ll have permanently displaced Ukrainians and capitulation by Ukraine to Russia’s demands as they in turn find themselves turned away by the West’s economies.

Rest

Is this a answer lol, you are the troll
You know, I just noticed that you have less than 150 posts in the last two years, but suddenly since this thread started you've posed in it over 50 times. Over a third of your activity is in this thread. Is that guy your other account? Are you the same Russian troll?

LimanimaPT

Also:

Can someone here confirm the translation?

And: this numbers can't be right, right? This would be a real catastrophe for russia...

Rest

And: this numbers can't be right, right? This would be a real catastrophe for russia...
Look at the death numbers for the Russo-Japanese War, WWI, the Winter War, and WWII. Russia has never had a problem sending under trained, under fed, under supplied bodies into a meat grinder. This is how Russia does war. Shit, they murdered their own troops in WWII if the they retreated.

Pooty-Poot sees himself as Tsar Vlad the Conqueror/Comrade Vladimir Vladimirovich. He doesn't give a shit about the lives of the plebes/proles who do their duty to him to put him on the throne or at the head of the Council.

MastaKiiLA

Putin has basically exposed Russia as a hollow shell of itself, with a military that would get obliterated in a conventional war against another superpower. All he has is a stockpile of nukes. It's probably safe to assume that a bunch of them aren't operational anymore, but it's the fact that he only needs a small success rate to still be a threat.

This invasion has to be the biggest eye opener for those of us who lived through at least part of the Cold War. This...THIS is the scary red army we were constantly being warned about? This Russian army looks like it would have it's hands full with a group of Civil War reenactors.

Tom Clancy needs to go back and revise some of his stories. I remember The Bear and The Dragon, and how that border skirmish was projected to play out. Pfft. China would demolish them now.

Russia is getting pantsed militarily, and it's so surreal. This is not a superpower. They're just a second rate kleptocracy with a bunch of legacy weapons that they can't actually be used due to MAD. If I didn't care about the plight of the Ukrainian civilians, I'd want them to bleed Russia slowly. Dispelling boogeymen is cathartic.

Last edited:

Raven117

Putin has basically exposed Russia as a hollow shell of itself, with a military that would get obliterated in a conventional war against another superpower. All he has is a stockpile of nukes. It's probably safe to assume that a bunch of them aren't operational anymore, but it's the fact that he only needs a small success rate to still be a threat.

This invasion has to be the biggest eye opener for those of us who lived through at least part of the Cold War. This...THIS is the scary red army we were constantly being warned about? This Russian army looks like it would have it's hands full with a group of Civil War reenactors.

Tom Clancy needs to go back and revise some of his stories. I remember The Bear and The Dragon, and how that border skirmish was projected to play out. Pfft. China would demolish them now.

Russia is getting pantsed militarily, and it's so surreal. This is not a superpower. They're just a second rate kleptocracy with a bunch of legacy weapons that they can't actually be used due to MAD. If I didn't care about the plight of the Ukrainian civilians, I'd want them to bleed Russia slowly. Dispelling boogeymen is cathartic.
China May not be all battle hardened either. In the Cold War, Russia did have more capability, it’s just once the ussr collapsed, it seems there was no real investment in continuing to upgrade the military. Unlike the US which has continued to pour money into it… and have fought other wars…. And continued to develop modern weapons.

Raven117

Also:

This just seems too insane.

Vestal

Also:

If that number is even remotely true......

holy shit GIF

For context, the US reported 58k total casualties in the 20 years we spent in Vietnam.

40k in 3 weeks?!?!?! HOLY SHIT

Last edited:

Sejanus

You know, I just noticed that you have less than 150 posts in the last two years, but suddenly since this thread started you've posed in it over 50 times. Over a third of your activity is in this thread. Is that guy your other account? Are you the same Russian troll?
Congratulations you find me idiot

Sakura

If that number is even remotely true......

holy shit GIF

For context, the US reported 58k total casualties in the 20 years we spent in Vietnam.

40k in 3 weeks?!?!?! HOLY SHIT
US is 58k dead, not total casualties. Also consider South Vietnam was doing a lot of the fighting with over 1 million casualties.
But yeah, 40k is a lot. This is largely why countries like the US don't want to fight other countries with modern militaries, and why I didn't think Russia would want to invade.

Last edited:

jonnyp

I can't believe Europe tries so hard to show their support for Ukraine with all their fancy speeches and condemnation of Russia but then continues to give Putin and his cronies billions of dollars for their oil & gas, directly helping fund the war against Ukraine. Just insane.

Very easy statement to make if you don't understand what is actually happening with energy, or lack thereof, in Europe. In many countries we now have the following situation: all-time high gas prices, all-time high electricity prices, inflation, wages stifled for several years due to the pandemic, cost of food rising due to the war, mortgage interest rates rising in some countries. This is scary shit even for people here in Norway.

Sure, the blame is with naïve, corrupt European politicians who bet on energy supply from evil regimes. These bets have completely fucked the entirety of the European energy market since it's all connected, but fact of the matter is that it will take time for Europe to reverse this mess and cannot be done over night.

Mikado

China May not be all battle hardened either. In the Cold War, Russia did have more capability, it’s just once the ussr collapsed, it seems there was no real investment in continuing to upgrade the military. Unlike the US which has continued to pour money into it… and have fought other wars…. And continued to develop modern weapons.

I don't think anyone is ready for symmetrical warfare. MAD was supposed to deliver us from that.

The last 30 years of military doctrine have revolved around asymmetrical warfare: nobody expected we'd roll tanks against Europe against a similarly equipped force. Since 1990, the expectation (and bulk of western-involved conflict) was that we'd be air-striking and shock-n-awe'ing miserable 5th-world countries with technology vastly superior to theirs (fanatical-fighting-spirit of the opponent notwithstanding).

Sakura

Russian military budget has been low ever since the Cold War ended. During the Cold War they could spend 20% of their GDP on the military, at the expense of other things, but once the USSR collapsed, the economy collapsed too, and they didn't have the money to spend on military any more. The economy was so bad in the 90s, that in 1999, 3% of their GDP meant only spending like 6 billion on military, while now spending 3% means spending 60 billion dollars. They have been spending money trying to improve the military, but rebuilding/upgrading the military takes time and money. So I'm not sure why Putin chose to invade now, it's not like Ukraine was about to join NATO.

Russia does have war experience though. They fought the two Chechen wars, the smaller war with Georgia, and have been active in Syria (I think they test a lot of their new stuff there),
So I think they are more battle hardened than China, but China does spend a lot more money on their military than Russia.

Thaedolus

This just seems too insane.
But would explain why Russians have struggled to take cities they were supposed to own within a few days, and why they’re even being kicked out of some of the ones they’ve captured…even losing ground in some areas around Kyiv where they’re supposed to be amassing for their full on assault…can’t really build up troops if you’re losing all the guys you already got there.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I hope EU grows some balls. Idk how much it would cost though, maybe too much?

It appears unlikely and you may be right that the cost could be too high for some EU nations. For example, I saw that the French government were getting stick for allowing Renault to continue production in Russia.

Gp1

Also:

At this rate we begin to think that if this is not some ploy to simply purge the russian army. If this numbers are real, this is staggering.

Sejanus

But would explain why Russians have struggled to take cities they were supposed to own within a few days, and why they’re even being kicked out of some of the ones they’ve captured…even losing ground in some areas around Kyiv where they’re supposed to be amassing for their full on assault…can’t really build up troops if you’re losing all the guys you already got there.
Big country (population, territory), bad weather for the offensives, low morale (reasons for invading), Russian known meat grinder strategy, but the most important thing is they fighting for their homes and family.

Rest

Does the white phosphorous stuff mean that Russia is actually using chemical weapons now?
White phosphorus is something that burns really hot. It's not a chemical weapon in the sense of mustard gas etc., but it is another sign that Russia is committed to deliberate, wanton destruction. White phosphorus is for destroying buildings and materiel, not using on people, much less anywhere near civilians.

Last edited:

Raven117

I don't think anyone is ready for symmetrical warfare. MAD was supposed to deliver us from that.

The last 30 years of military doctrine have revolved around asymmetrical warfare: nobody expected we'd roll tanks against Europe against a similarly equipped force. Since 1990, the expectation (and bulk of western-involved conflict) was that we'd be air-striking and shock-n-awe'ing miserable 5th-world countries with technology vastly superior to theirs (fanatical-fighting-spirit of the opponent notwithstanding).
Agreed. But if there is any modern military that can do it...its the U.S.
Russian military budget has been low ever since the Cold War ended. During the Cold War they could spend 20% of their GDP on the military, at the expense of other things, but once the USSR collapsed, the economy collapsed too, and they didn't have the money to spend on military any more. The economy was so bad in the 90s, that in 1999, 3% of their GDP meant only spending like 6 billion on military, while now spending 3% means spending 60 billion dollars. They have been spending money trying to improve the military, but rebuilding/upgrading the military takes time and money. So I'm not sure why Putin chose to invade now, it's not like Ukraine was about to join NATO.

Russia does have war experience though. They fought the two Chechen wars, the smaller war with Georgia, and have been active in Syria (I think they test a lot of their new stuff there),
So I think they are more battle hardened than China, but China does spend a lot more money on their military than Russia.
Yup. I agree Russians have more war experience. But China...yeah...you can spend alot of money on it and can look solid on paper (like Russia), but when the bullets start flying....I'd still put my money on the U.S, by alot.
Yeah, but that body count is absolutely staggering if true.

Gp1

Can someone please translate if the article says why they are doing it? And where the subs are going?

If my basic basic basic french didn't betray me. No reason was given. After the war started they keep 2 subs at port and 2 on patrol. They simply launched one of the "backups" as a deterrent and kept only one in port.

edit:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom