• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meicyn

Gold Member
There are balance of trade issues with the Euro, and other issues related to their use of a common currency while having separate governments that have a coercive effect on the behavior of individuals. I studied some of these issues in college, and at the time some mainstream economists were predicting that the EU would have to fundamentally change and might even break up over it. This was being debated in mainstream news quite a bit in the years following the 2008 financial crises. Much of this debate centered around cultural differences.
Trade imbalances are a thing all the time. Since forever. It is not some phenomenon that evolved out of the use of the Euro. That’s just the nature of business.

You didn’t really answer the questions I posed. What you studied in college and what people were debating in 2008 is a great way to pad out your reply I suppose. You’d make a great politician.

What cultural differences were trying to be eliminated? By whom? What are these “other issues”? Specifics please, I am not interested in hearing generalities and platitudes.

Trade imbalances are a thing all the time. Since forever. It is not some phenomenon that evolved out of the use of the Euro. That’s just the nature of business.

You didn’t really answer the questions I posed. What you studied in college and what people were debating in 2008 is a great way to pad out your reply I suppose. You’d make a great politician.

What cultural differences were trying to be eliminated? By whom? What are these “other issues”? Specifics please, I am not interested in hearing generalities and platitudes.

Trade imbalances are different when you can't control your own currency. Governments like Greece and Spain were unable to fix their unemployment problems with government policy post 2008 because they had no ability to address their debts or balance of trade issues because they had no control over their currency.

As for the people responsible, the ruling class of the European Union. It is their goal whether stated explicitly or not to make all peoples roughly the same culturally.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Trade imbalances are different when you can't control your own currency. Governments like Greece and Spain were unable to fix their unemployment problems with government policy post 2008 because they had no ability to address their debts or balance of trade issues because they had no control over their currency.
This part is valid. I have no retort because this is an actual thing that played out in realtime.

As for the people responsible, the ruling class of the European Union. It is their goal whether stated explicitly or not to make all peoples roughly the same culturally.
This is not. You still dodged. What cultural differences were trying to be eliminated? By whom, specifically? Give me just one example of a cultural difference that was trying to be eliminated. Just one. I’d also like a name associated with the attempted action.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Oh for god sake can we please not do this. This thread has enough nonsense in it already. We don't need Culture War conspiracy bullshit on top of it.

Last edited:

Vestal

Ruling class? Just what on earth are you mumbling about here?

bored waiting GIF

RAÏSanÏa

O Mary, Mother of God and our Mother, in this time of trial we turn to you. As our Mother, you love us and know us: no concern of our hearts is hidden from you. Mother of mercy, how often we have experienced your watchful care and your peaceful presence! You never cease to guide us to Jesus, the Prince of Peace.

Yet we have strayed from that path of peace. We have forgotten the lesson learned from the tragedies of the last century, the sacrifice of the millions who fell in two world wars. We have disregarded the commitments we made as a community of nations. We have betrayed peoples’ dreams of peace and the hopes of the young. We grew sick with greed, we thought only of our own nations and their interests, we grew indifferent and caught up in our selfish needs and concerns. We chose to ignore God, to be satisfied with our illusions, to grow arrogant and aggressive, to suppress innocent lives and to stockpile weapons. We stopped being our neighbour’s keepers and stewards of our common home. We have ravaged the garden of the earth with war and by our sins we have broken the heart of our heavenly Father, who desires us to be brothers and sisters. We grew indifferent to everyone and everything except ourselves. Now with shame we cry out: Forgive us, Lord!

Holy Mother, amid the misery of our sinfulness, amid our struggles and weaknesses, amid the mystery of iniquity that is evil and war, you remind us that God never abandons us, but continues to look upon us with love, ever ready to forgive us and raise us up to new life. He has given you to us and made your Immaculate Heart a refuge for the Church and for all humanity. By God’s gracious will, you are ever with us; even in the most troubled moments of our history, you are there to guide us with tender love.

We now turn to you and knock at the door of your heart. We are your beloved children. In every age you make yourself known to us, calling us to conversion. At this dark hour, help us and grant us your comfort. Say to us once more: “Am I not here, I who am your Mother?” You are able to untie the knots of our hearts and of our times. In you we place our trust. We are confident that, especially in moments of trial, you will not be deaf to our supplication and will come to our aid.

That is what you did at Cana in Galilee, when you interceded with Jesus and he worked the first of his signs. To preserve the joy of the wedding feast, you said to him: “They have no wine” (Jn 2:3). Now, O Mother, repeat those words and that prayer, for in our own day we have run out of the wine of hope, joy has fled, fraternity has faded. We have forgotten our humanity and squandered the gift of peace. We opened our hearts to violence and destructiveness. How greatly we need your maternal help!

Therefore, O Mother, hear our prayer.

Star of the Sea, do not let us be shipwrecked in the tempest of war.

Ark of the New Covenant, inspire projects and paths of reconciliation.

Queen of Heaven, restore God’s peace to the world.

Eliminate hatred and the thirst for revenge, and teach us forgiveness.

Free us from war, protect our world from the menace of nuclear weapons.

Queen of the Rosary, make us realize our need to pray and to love.

Queen of the Human Family, show people the path of fraternity.

Queen of Peace, obtain peace for our world.

O Mother, may your sorrowful plea stir our hardened hearts. May the tears you shed for us make this valley parched by our hatred blossom anew. Amid the thunder of weapons, may your prayer turn our thoughts to peace. May your maternal touch soothe those who suffer and flee from the rain of bombs. May your motherly embrace comfort those forced to leave their homes and their native land. May your Sorrowful Heart move us to compassion and inspire us to open our doors and to care for our brothers and sisters who are injured and cast aside.

Holy Mother of God, as you stood beneath the cross, Jesus, seeing the disciple at your side, said: “Behold your son” (Jn 19:26). In this way he entrusted each of us to you. To the disciple, and to each of us, he said: “Behold, your Mother” (v. 27). Mother Mary, we now desire to welcome you into our lives and our history. At this hour, a weary and distraught humanity stands with you beneath the cross, needing to entrust itself to you and, through you, to consecrate itself to Christ. The people of Ukraine and Russia, who venerate you with great love, now turn to you, even as your heart beats with compassion for them and for all those peoples decimated by war, hunger, injustice and poverty.

Therefore, Mother of God and our Mother, to your Immaculate Heart we solemnly entrust and consecrate ourselves, the Church and all humanity, especially Russia and Ukraine. Accept this act that we carry out with confidence and love. Grant that war may end and peace spread throughout the world. The “Fiat” that arose from your heart opened the doors of history to the Prince of Peace. We trust that, through your heart, peace will dawn once more. To you we consecrate the future of the whole human family, the needs and expectations of every people, the anxieties and hopes of the world.

Through your intercession, may God’s mercy be poured out on the earth and the gentle rhythm of peace return to mark our days. Our Lady of the “Fiat”, on whom the Holy Spirit descended, restore among us the harmony that comes from God. May you, our “living fountain of hope”, water the dryness of our hearts. In your womb Jesus took flesh; help us to foster the growth of communion. You once trod the streets of our world; lead us now on the paths of peace. Amen.

That is what you did at Cana in Galilee, when you interceded with Jesus and he worked the first of his signs. To preserve the joy of the wedding feast, you said to him: “They have no wine” (Jn 2:3). Now, O Mother, repeat those words and that prayer, for in our own day we have run out of the wine of hope, joy has fled, fraternity has faded. We have forgotten our humanity and squandered the gift of peace. We opened our hearts to violence and destructiveness. How greatly we need your maternal help!

Sorry, a Swedish social democrat.

Would like the answer to the question though, and please post some sources regarding your statement.

Do you think that the people who have power in society have the same ideas about social relationships and other matters as the average Sven? People who have power in society are distinctly different from the average person, either innately or as a product of the process that drives them to compete all the way into the heights of power. Because they are different, their beliefs are different.

It was well understood that the effect of having a single currency system with multiple countries with different cultures and economies would cause economic problems, the fact that there were not massive government interventions to prevent high unemployment meant that Spanish and Greek citizens were incentivized to leave their home countries or regions in order to find work. The fact that the system demanded the individual change rather than the other way around reveals a preference.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Do you think that the people who have power in society have the same ideas about social relationships and other matters as the average Sven? People who have power in society are distinctly different from the average person, either innately or as a product of the process that drives them to compete all the way into the heights of power. Because they are different, their beliefs are different.

It was well understood that the effect of having a single currency system with multiple countries with different cultures and economies would cause economic problems, the fact that there were not massive government interventions to prevent high unemployment meant that Spanish and Greek citizens were incentivized to leave their home countries or regions in order to find work. The fact that the system demanded the individual change rather than the other way around reveals a preference.
lmao

no one is making everyone the same culturally in the eu

i can still order schnitzel with spätzle in germany

france isnt going to stop making the best croissants just because someone from spain migrated there for work

greece still makes moussaka i promise

lol lmao

FunkMiller

You are massively barking up the wrong tree with all this talk of 'cultural change'.

I am (rightly, I believe) critical of the EU's approach to federalisation and further economic integration, but there is zero evidence anywhere that they are also attempting to somehow homogenise European culture in any way shape or form.

Europe is not the EU, and every European country still firmly retains its cultural identity. Freedom Of Movement is an extremely good thing. It's the desire to keep nations and people separate that leads to invasions like the one we're seeing.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Hope they can push them all back to Russia, so Putin can get fucked.

Some of the responses to this tweet!

"They're regrouping!" "They'll come back at them hard!"

A lot of folks seemingly unable or unwilling to grasp that after a month of warfare against a vastly smaller and less well equipped enemy, if you are in retreat in any capacity whatsoever, you are absolute dogshit as a fighting force.

Pretty convinced Ukraine could actually win this war, were it not for Putin's massive supply of long range ballistics.

Your conflating economics with cultural roots and identity of a nation. What would a homogenous EU culture even look like? Can you even answer that question?

Atrus

Gold Member
Interesting New York Times video below that matches some unsecured Russian comms with pieces of footage taken in the opening week of the war. It goes to show how much of a shitshow the Russian operation was and how they intentionally bombard residential areas once their "property" has cleared the blast zone.

Last edited:

Amiga

What cultural aspect is the EU attempting to eliminate from Poland? From Hungary? Be specific!

Sovereignty

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Ruling class? Just what on earth are you mumbling about here?

Oh for god sake can we please not do this. This thread has enough nonsense in it already. We don't need Culture War conspiracy bullshit on top of it.

Bancrupt a country. Buy it out. Profit. This is how you do big business in EU.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sovereignty

I was watching Sky news a couple of weeks back when this conflict first started and the panel of "experts" there was baffled why Poland is now all of the sudden taking refugees from Ukraine when historically they strongly refused any. Why on earth did Poland change their policy they wonder... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

These stupid malakas don't understand the difference between actual Ukrainian refugees fleeing the war to the next neighbouring country and economic tourists from Middle East and Africa that travel half way around the world just to get to a country with best social benefits.

And then you have the cultural aspect that many here will dismiss but it's very real. Polish share with Ukrainians a lot of history (good and bad) and are from the same cultural background. If you don't have a culture, you don't have a country. There are many places in Europe that I've been that simply don't feel like Europe anymore. I've lived in an area close to Birmingham, UK. You would now know it's UK if not for the architecture. You have this extremely liberal country but there are entire neighbourhoods where new majority that represent culture not compatible with yours dictate a new way of life. Their way of life.

I've lived in an area close to Birmingham, UK. You would now know it's UK if not for the architecture. You have this extremely liberal country but there are entire neighbourhoods where new majority that represent culture not compatible with yours dictate a new way of life. Their way of life.

UK felt the same way about Poles and Romanians too. Turns out hate for the other is easy to disseminate, and you have fallen into the trap.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
UK felt the same way about Poles and Romanians too. Turns out hate for the other is easy to disseminate, and you have fallen into the trap.

Lol, dude. I've lived in 5 countries in total. The most bigotry I've ever experienced was in the UK. At the same time some of my favourite people I know are British. You can't just generalize like that.

Also, I'm yet to see Poles or Romanians trying to change the British way of life. Maybe because, I don't know, they have more culturally in common than some other minorities?

Wake me up when article like the one about schools in good old Brum in relation to any of the European minority appears. Then we'll talk.

Lol, dude. I've lived in 5 countries in total. The most bigotry I've ever experienced was in the UK. At the same time some of my favourite people I know are British. You can't just generalize like that.

Also, I'm yet to see Poles or Romanians trying to change the British way of life. Maybe because, I don't know, they have more culturally in common than some other minorities?

Wake me up when article like the one about schools in good old Brum in relation to any of the European minority appears. Then we'll talk.

You can't just generalise like that, when your entire point is a generalisation. If your benchmark is needing a newspaper article about protests at a school as some form of proof of, something about culture, then you're beyond talking and quite happy to bathe in your weird bias. I know this because you have spun a conversation about EU refugees and sovereignty within EU nations to something about...Muslims, I guess? Because they are convenient to generalise...or you're talking about a specific neighbourhood and not having any wider point on national culture. Choose one.

The idea is that they are dictating a new way of life, and that is your generalisation. It's not true, but the idea that they are is a bias that extends beyond a newspaper article about protests and where every new thing e.g. "I don't know why there are so many Polski Skleps on my street" becomes a confirmation of that bias. Again, you are just falling into the bigotry trap without realising.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You can't just generalise like that, when your entire point is a generalisation. If your benchmark is needing a newspaper article about protests at a school as some form of proof of, something about culture, then you're beyond talking and quite happy to bathe in your weird bias. I know this because you have spun a conversation about EU refugees and sovereignty within EU nations to something about...Muslims, I guess? Because they are convenient to generalise...or you're talking about a specific neighbourhood and not having any wider point on national culture. Choose one.

The idea is that they are dictating a new way of life, and that is your generalisation. It's not true, but the idea that they are is a bias that extends beyond a newspaper article about protests and where every new thing e.g. "I don't know why there are so many Polski Skleps on my street" becomes a confirmation of that bias. Again, you are just falling into the bigotry trap without realising.

I'm not generalizing. You're generalizing when you suggest that I'm a hateful bigot for reporting facts. It's a fact that there are entire city districts in many European countries where that country's culture is not represented. Birmingham, UK is just one example.

My kid's mentor in day care is a Muslim woman and she's the nicest. What kind of hateful bigot would leave his or her child with a Muslim woman? See, this is the problem with people like you. You can't have a conversation or you are a bigot. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

What you fail to understand that it's not about one minority, culture or religion. Too many "Polski Skleps" is similar kind of problem. But I'm yet to see "Polak patrols" on the streets of UK that aim to impose "Polak way of life" on the British population.

To summarize: It's always a problem when minority becomes a majority in your own country. You can only thank your current government for that. It's also a byproduct of "THE EMPIRE" so I guess you can thank your ancestor for that as well. Poland will face the same problem if they accept too many actual Ukrainians war refuges. It's a delicate balance.

I'm not generalizing. You're generalizing when you suggest that I'm a hateful bigot for reporting facts. It's a fact that there are entire city districts in many European countries where that country's culture is not represented. Birmingham, UK is just one example.

My kid's mentor in day care is a Muslim woman and she's the nicest. What kind of hateful bigot would leave his or her child with a Muslim woman? See, this is the problem with people like you. You can't have a conversation or you are a bigot. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

What you fail to understand that it's not about one minority, culture or religion. Too many "Polski Skleps" is similar kind of problem. But I'm yet to see "Polak patrols" on the streets of UK that aim to impose "Polak way of life" on the British population.

To summarize: It's always a problem when minority becomes a majority in your own country. You can only thank your current government for that. It's also a byproduct of "THE EMPIRE" so I guess you can thank your ancestor for that as well. Poland will face the same problem if they accept too many actual Ukrainians war refuges. It's a delicate balance.

“Minority becoming a majority in your country” has not happened, that’s your generalising of some articles you read about “Muslim patrols” and applying it to the majority. I never suggested you were a bigot, you’re just falling into the trap laid out, and you continue to do so when you put one minority vs another minority and then tie that up as representation of national culture. Talk about individuals you meet, talk about communities, talk about national culture. Trying to conflate all this in the messy way you are doing is exactly how hate spreads so easily, it finds itself in the gaps you leave when you can’t make any watertight associations. So it is a delicate balance, I suggest you find it.

By the way I am a Slav and British citizen, my ancestors were not part of the British empire but thats just what happens when you have a blinkered view of the world.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Wait, are you trying to imply economic migration, a phenomenom that predates the EU by thousands of years to a conspiracy to change how europeans think? My gosh.

Dude all the respect but you keep increasingly missing the mark - it seems to me during college some teacher impressed you by very assuredly stating things that are plain wrong (the fact a common coin requires a common culture) and you're just clinging to these opinions despite evidence of the contrary. The euro has been going for over 20 years and pretty much all national idiosincracies (sp) are still alive.

sinnergy

Interesting New York Times video below that matches some unsecured Russian comms with pieces of footage taken in the opening week of the war. It goes to show how much of a shitshow the Russian operation was and how they intentionally bombard residential areas once their "property" has cleared the blast zone.

You don’t need to analyze .. we can all see it unfold in real time .. it’s a 60s army .. the material is old , the tactics are old .. I’ll go as far as Eussia isn’t even a serious force to recon with .. the only thing is they have old ass nukes ..

Before this we looked at them as a strong country .. now this myth is destroyed by Putin .. from super power .. to 3rd world country .

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
“Minority becoming a majority in your country” has not happened

It's happening right now. That's what I said about delicate balance. In case of UK the balance was tipped. When you have middle-eastern and eastern-European names near the top of name picks for babies you know it's not going great.

By the way I am a Slav and British citizen, my ancestors were not part of the British empire but thats just what happens when you have a blinkered view of the world.

Apologies. It's not my "blinkered" view of the world. It's your fucking avatar. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

It's happening right now. That's what I said about delicate balance. In case of UK the balance was tipped. When you have middle-eastern and eastern-European names near the top of name picks for babies you know it's not going great.

Apologies. It's not my "blinkered" view of the world. It's your fucking avatar. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

UK children learn mandatory French and German as part of their national curriculum. The national dish is a variation of an Indian curry. Babies names not being anglicised and Muslim communities is not indicative of anything in the grand scheme of British culture, because it’s always been like that. I suppose I can take the concession that it‘s “not going great” because only you know what great looks like. In other words:

3Ja1l.png

FunkMiller

I'm sorry? What is this, please? Are you trying to say that Britain in no longer majority white British?

Because if so...

J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
UK children learn mandatory French and German as part of their national curriculum. The national dish is a variation of an Indian curry. Babies names not being anglicised and Muslim communities is not indicative of anything in the grand scheme of British culture, because it’s always been like that. I suppose I can take the concession that it‘s “not going great” because only you know what great looks like. In other words:

3Ja1l.png

Do you realize that this image is a meme? It's a joke. British people have the luxury of driving British cars to British own Wetherspoon... etc. etc. British culture is very much a thing.

I'm sorry? What is this, please? Are you trying to say that Britain in no longer majority white and ethnically British?

Don't be sorry. Be better. We're talking about the fact that in many places around the country that's not the case.

FunkMiller

Don't be sorry. Be better. We're talking about the fact that in many places around the country that's not the case.

Many places? What are you on about?

86% of the British population is white/ white British. There is literally nowhere in the entire place where another single ethnic minority comes close to the amount of white people. Where are you getting your information from?

Last edited:
Do you realize that this image is a meme? It's a joke. British people have the luxury of driving British cars to British own Wetherspoon... etc. etc. British culture is very much a thing.

They might have “the luxury” of driving a British car, which would be what…a 1973 Robin Reliant, these days, to a Wetherspoons. But many of them choose not to, and that’s also part of the meme. British culture is as fluid and consuming as the English language, saying Wetherspoons = British culture and not other things like learning French in school is just you drawing arbitrary lines again.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Many places? What are you on about?

86% of the British population is white/ white British. There is literally nowhere in the entire place where another single ethnic minority comes close to the amount of white people. Where are you getting your information from?

Nowhere? How about big chunks of your cities. Just check distribution of ethnic groups on Wikipedia. Or even better, travel a little bit.

Birmingham:
1920px-White_Birmingham_2011_census.png

Luton:
2560px-White_Luton_2011_census.png

They might have “the luxury” of driving a British car, which would be what…a 1973 Robin Reliant, these days, to a Wetherspoons. But many of them choose not to, and that’s also part of the meme. British culture is as fluid and consuming as the English language, saying Wetherspoons = British culture and not other things like learning French in school is just you drawing arbitrary lines again.

You can apply this meme to every country on the planet. I live in The Netherlands but most of my furniture is imported from Spain. OMG, I have no culture.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Nowhere? How about big chunks of your cities. Just check distribution of ethnic groups on Wikipedia. Or even better, travel a little bit.

Birmingham:

Luton:

Birmingham is 58% white. Luton is 54%. It's mostly white people. It's always been mostly white people.

And have you ever actually been to either place?

And You're asking if I've ever travelled? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Birmingham is 58% white. Luton is 54%. It's mostly white people. It's always been mostly white people.

And have you ever actually been to either place?

Sweet baby Jesus. Just because entire city is X, doesn't mean that there are entire distracts within that city that are Y. How do you fail to understand that?

Have you ever been to Birmingham? If yes, have you been outside of main train station and Bullring?

Seriously, dude.

Ok, I think that's enough of going out of topic. Nobody cares about UK anyway.

Mariupol looks like a setting of the next Fallout game:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Lol, Is this the thread about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, or is this a debate about British culture?

If you want to debate British (love how people shit on English, Welsh and Scottish culture by lumping it all into the pathetic Union) I believe somebody created a thread regarding national identity and culture. Peace.

FunkMiller

Sweet baby Jesus. Just because entire city is X, doesn't mean that there are entire distracts within that city that are Y. How do you fail to understand that?

Have you ever been to Birmingham? If yes, have you been outside of main train station and Bullring?

Seriously, dude.

Ok, I think that's enough of going out of topic. Nobody cares about UK anyway.

Wherever's been feeding you shit about the UK being in anyway anything other than predominantly white British ... you probably need to stop looking at it. And maybe stop looking at anywhere that's telling you the British cultural identity is anything other than a melting pot of multiple cultures, over decades and centuries.

But yeah... back to the war, eh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom