• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doczu

Regarding Putin and people calling him mad or stupid. He's not. He's an educated KGB agent that has imperial ambitions.

This invasion was planned long before Crimea was annexxed, it's not some fallout from talks going south. I don't think sanctions are going to do much to Putin/Russia, they have enough (silent) Chinese support and all their needs might be covered through them.

My take on the situation is to not get involved in the battles. I'm sorry to say this out loud, but any military help right now should be out of the question. We should help any way that's possible, but intervening now would escalate the conflict to an all out war in Europe.

And i'm living just next to the border and i'm not willing to put my family in danger

Hari Seldon

I doubt they respect human rights/rules of engagement the same way America does.
Civilian, military? Who cares. Just wipe them out.

This is very-very sad to see. I wish the west could do something, but I do not expect anything more than these sanctions.
Hopefully the russian people will get tired of this shit and beat Putin to death.

Jesus the baby crying is tough to watch.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah man I do stand corrected. My knowledge of the Poles comes from working with a few of their soldiers and finding them extremely professional and capable, and how much they fucking hate russians, but I did not realize until lately how small their actual force is. Clearly they need to bulk up big time.

I would never question the Poles training or dedication but it putting it along side literally coming up against one of the biggest military industrial complexes in the world

This video is based on the T-90MS which was an export model, naturally the Russian T-90M being the chosen state varient has additional improvements, as it was developed off the back of the T-90MS once they received the states improvement requests. However gives a good break down of the technology Russia is currently using and willing to share with other nations on export.

As you can see it's fairly modern... and this is the cost effective solution of upgrading their old T-90A's which are modernised T-72M1's rather than making the more modern T-14 which is a whole platform a generation ahead of pretty much anything else that is currently fielded. Its one of the reasons when the UK told the EU they need to up there spending to at least 3% of their GPD I agreed.

Last edited:

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

not sure if true. Irradiate me if old

really don't like the amount of false reporting, but i guess nothing you can do these days

i guess better to come out with the info, and later redact it if untrue? while initially it may spread incorrect information, it also prevents more damaging cover ups and eradicating the information

Last edited:
B-52 and an E-8 along with re-fuelling aircraft holding above Poland, with another B-52 going elsewhere?

3nnSINl.png

sH0Nymq.jpg

cBTaaTe.png

Helghan

My take on the situation is to not get involved in the battles. I'm sorry to say this out loud, but any military help right now should be out of the question. We should help any way that's possible, but intervening now would escalate the conflict to an all out war in Europe.
They aren't. Ukraine is being left on their own, there will be sanctions but no troops. NATO will put more troops on their borders just in case, but I don't see Russia going for an all out war with Europe/USA. Putin knows he can get Ukraine for whatever sanctions they give him now.

Last edited:

MadAnon

I would never question the Poles training or dedication but it putting it along side literally coming up against one of the biggest military industrial complexes in the world

This video is based on the T-90MS which was an export model, naturally the Russian T-90M being the chosen state varient has additional improvements, as it was developed off the back of the T-90MS once they received the states improvement requests. However gives a good break down of the technology Russia is currently using and willing to share with other nations on export.

As you can see it's fairly modern... and this is the cost effective solution of upgrading their old T-90A's which are modernised T-72M1's rather than making the more modern T-14 which is a whole platform a generation ahead of pretty much anything else that is currently fielded. Its one of the reasons when the UK told the EU they need to up there spending to at least 3% of their GPD I agreed.

Are you seriously gonna parade the "might" of russian army with god damn tanks they use? They are literal death traps. And T-14 is nothing but a proof of concept/prototype. It's the same as these russian ass lickers talking about SU-57 as some kind of ultimate f-22 killer because it has better manuevarbility. This is not WW2, dogfights are the thing of the past.

In reality the majority of russia's army is horribly outdated.

dotnotbot

They aren't. Ukraine is being left on their own, there will be sanctions but no troops. NATO will put more troops on their borders just in case, but I don't see Russia going for an all out war with Europe/USA. Putin knows he can get Ukraine for whatever sanctions they give him now.

Is the total collapse of Russian's economy worth it just for the Ukraine?

NickFire

This is so f’d up. The world needs to intervene. How we do that now, without starting ww3, is hard to figure out. But sanctions ain’t gonna do a damn thing. Anyone believing that has their head right up their butt imho.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

i was going to ask if ukraine even had defenses, all the footage i see is them getting pounded. Aljazeera has good live stream. But now i see defenses in here

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Is the total collapse of Russian's economy worth it just for the Ukraine?

I think Putin has already planned for sanctions. I heard that he might have put deals in place with the CCP to sell them oil and gas, which would help the Russian economy from collapsing. Not sure how true it is.

Starfield

This is so f’d up. The world needs to intervene. How we do that now, without starting ww3, is hard to figure out. But sanctions ain’t gonna do a damn thing. Anyone believing that has their head right up their butt imho.
I would be more concerned about the 15 Nuclear Powerplants currently in active use in Ukraine. All it takes is a few "misguided" missiles to hit one causing another meltdown and we the entirety of Europe has Chernobyl 2.0 on their hands

NickFire

I would be more concerned about the 15 Nuclear Powerplants currently in active use in Ukraine. All it takes is a few "misguided" missiles to hit one causing another meltdown and we the entirety of Europe has Chernobyl 2.0 on their hands
That’s exactly the kind of thing I’m worried about. Turning a misguided missile into a dirty nuke by hitting nuclear power or waste sites. That can’t be allowed to happen.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Are you seriously gonna parade the "might" of russian army with god damn tanks they use? They are literal death traps. And T-14 is nothing but a proof of concept/prototype. It's the same as these russian ass lickers talking about SU-57 as some kind of ultimate f-22 killer because it has better manuevarbility. This is not WW2, dogfights are the thing of the past.

I think you need to take a step back and think about that this was in reply to someone talking about Eastern European states who field the same equipment but with less resourced upgrade programs. Are they superior to modern evolutions of the Abrams or Leopard? No, with a maybe for the T-14 as its a modern platform thats currently in production. However they are more than adequate for other aging T-72 upgrade programs and F-16C's largely due to russias heavy use of long range missile technology used in both its Aircraft, armored vehicles and infantry. You don't need to dog fight when your active radar missiles out range everything and those poorer eastern states arnt fielding stealth aircraft as their on back order.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
There are rumours going around that the chinese navy is moving torwards the Taiwan border. I heard it on a TV show, so can't share link.

Someone else have heard something similar?

The only thing worse then an armchair “video game developer” is an armchair “military expert” who’s never served a day in the military and gets there info from an armchair “military expert” from YouTube.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
If the eastern Block countries can stand together maybe they have a chance, but I don't know without another major power getting involved. NATO has proved themselves cowards.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I see the EU might not cut Russia from Swift. Anything they do agree will take time as well because all 27 members have to agree.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

How long does this go on before everyone around Putin start thinking that he would look great going out a window?

He has made Russia the enemy of the world and has destroyed their economy in the process. You have Russian soldiers dying and billions in military equipment getting destroyed. The sanctions that will come down on Russia here will cripple the everyday lives of it's population.

Something has to give.

How long does this go on before everyone around Putin start thinking that he would look great going out a window?

He has made Russia the enemy of the world and has destroyed their economy in the process. You have Russian soldiers dying and billions in military equipment getting destroyed. The sanctions that will come down on Russia here will cripple the everyday lives of it's population.

Something has to give.
If we‘re lucky the Russians themselves will take care of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom