• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Pretty much:

unknown.png

Toots

Gold Member

We need more of this and less dumbass holier than thou foreign policy « experts » takes.
If we are all going to die, at least let’s have some fun !
That’s what i told my boss when she asked me why i was leaving 30min early today. She looked at me and said « ok ». I urge everyone to do the same ✊

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Normally I would call bullshit, but Russia has a historical habit of keeping their soldiers in the dark about what they are doing and feeding them misinformation. It was basically a rule during the cold war so it's not surprising to me that Putin would continue that doctrine.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all if the attack order came and soldiers were shocked to see it.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Normally I would call bullshit, but Russia has a historical habit of keeping their soldiers in the dark about what they are doing and feeding them misinformation. It was basically a rule during the cold war so it's not surprising to me that Putin would continue that doctrine.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all if the attack order came and soldiers were shocked to see it.

That and as a recon force hitting a front line it would have been shredded. So they quit. We know javelins are having an impact, and will be used early so yeah, I'd quit too especially if I was effectively being used as fodder.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Ah okay.

Why would the West wait, I would deploy air support .. if they settle , it’s to late .
Because WW3, nobody is going to support Ukraine in this (at least not NATO), because it would take one press of the button and world would end as we know it. It's extremely serious situation.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Sanktions are temporary, land last forever. At least that's what Putin must believe because damn will his people suffer from this (needlessly).

GladiusFrog

He’s less and less popular and is resorting to jail every russian who is out there protesting the war, which is a lot of people as this war is quite unpopular among russian who remember 2014… will he go full dictator or is there a way to oust him without killing him i don’t know, but he doesn’t have the support of the russian people for this aggression. (All of this gathered from talking to my russian lesbian postdoctoral student in religious anthropology friend/colleague so take it with a grain of salt)
He needs to be arrested, If there ever was a time for a coup it is now.

sinnergy

Because WW3, nobody is going to support Ukraine in this (at least not NATO), because it would take one press of the button and world would end as we know it. It's extremely serious situation.
He even isn’t as dumb to press .. if he presses the west presses .. no one is gonna press . It’s all smoke and mirrors ..

We all know what nukes or radiation does .. we have seen it.
You can easily deploy air support .

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

When it comes too all these military videos, you never know what to believe. When I first saw it I thought it was real myself.

Fake videos, misleading videos (real but from something 5 years ago) etc.... I'm amazed how weird people are trolling fake videos for a serious issue.
Underscoring the importance of being able to correct oneself.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not sure what it accomplishes though, "cyber warfare", besides annoyance.
Anyone care to explain please?
It accomplishes several things: first and foremost it's a disruption in official communications. mil.ru also went offline, along with a few high profile Russian government targets. These high profile government websites are behind massive layers of protection, so the fact that their public-facing websites were taken offline most likely means that the opposition is taking down whole computer networks inside various state agencies. This means a lot of bureaucrats will show up to work today without access to their computers, phones, etc. People working from home most likely won't be able to connect to their VPNs or get things done. People in the military who are trying to coordinate attacks and troops may not be able to do so effectively. We don't really know (and won't ever know, probably) the extent of disruption here, we are just seeing the public-facing side effects of all of this happening. While this typically manifests itself in the corporate world as ransomware, I suspect these ops are more of the "seek and destroy" variety.

In a world where we all rely on ubiquitous communication to function, disruptions in communications can be as devastating as broken supply lines were in World War 2.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
True but using a Nuke is something else ..

As west you have to show you are united .. because if not .. why are you NATO?
Well NATO means that if you are part of NATO and gets attacked then other helps, UA is not in NATO, was rejected actually due to west fearing for RU reaction and border dispute.

sinnergy

It accomplishes several things: first and foremost it's a disruption in official communications. mil.ru also went offline, along with a few high profile Russian government targets. These high profile government websites are behind massive layers of protection, so the fact that their public-facing websites were taken offline most likely means that the opposition is taking down whole computer networks inside various state agencies. This means a lot of bureaucrats will show up to work today without access to their computers, phones, etc. People working from home most likely won't be able to connect to their VPNs or get things done. People in the military who are trying to coordinate attacks and troops may not be able to do so effectively. We don't really know (and won't ever know, probably) the extent of disruption here, we are just seeing the public-facing side effects of all of this happening. While this typically manifests itself in the corporate world as ransomware, I suspect these ops are more of the "seek and destroy" variety.

In a world where we all rely on ubiquitous communication to function, disruptions in communications can be as devastating as broken supply lines were in World War 2.
Yes, but it looks like the West can’t even deploy this tactic ..

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sanktions are temporary, land last forever. At least that's what Putin must believe because damn will his people suffer from this (needlessly).

Doesn't matter, we've seen with Iran and North Korea that leaders are willing to let their populations suffer for decades on end. The sanctions won't stop this.

Forsete

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom