• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm just wondering how many more pills will be swallowed. Talk about "we will help" is cheap. Having some troops in eastern Europe hardly matters when nuclear weapons are in question. USA, western Europe just evacuates their troops and bye. "Sorry, we can't risk nuclear war. Just have to swallow this pill" Bombing some goat herders in middle east with WW2 equipment is one thing but fallowing through your militar commitments against another nuclear power is something whole different.
Flip that to the Russian perspective. Taking on civilians in Ukraine and an underpowered military is one thing. Going to nuclear war is another. It's a mutual concern on both sides.

Nukes are not the first thing that get used. India and China had minor skirmishes recently as well. Eventually you hope that cooler heads can prevail in the inner circle of both Russian and US leadership. Read up on the Cuban Missile Crisis sometime.

There's a big difference between analysis and justification.

Multiple times in this thread, I've seen people merely attempting to identify the root cause behind Putin's decision, only to see others lash back at the "justification" and "support".

It's ridiculous. You can, and should, look to understand the true motives of everything. Sure, calling him names such as "POS" and "monster" and so on feels good, and might even be accurate, but that's not the end of the story, and does little to get to the whole truth of the matter.
Believe me, seeing this thread and Reddit, I'm pretty sure that a lot of folks would have already caused WW3 to happen. They let their emotions show, they don't understand shit of geopolitics, all they know is to make posts on Instagram saying thoughts and prayers while giving their 2 cents on something they clearly don't understand. You can make all the posts you want showing support, but don't call "Putin apologists" to people looking for answers. Clearly a lot of folks want war (Reddit and I would argue some here), they look for it as a way to provoke and confirm their hatred towards a certain region or different political views (the amount of posts I've seen regarding China is going to attack Taiwan soon is worrying). The amount of misinformation, lies, propaganda from both sides clearly clouds the mind of many many people. Some users here are looking at this in a more objective way, trying to see where this is coming from and where it's leading. Nothing wrong with that, doesn't make anyone a Putin supporter ffs

The West, for the sake of the world, is restraining itself and it's acting accordingly. I'm sorry for this Ukraine, your people don't deserve this, but WW3 can't be an option.

Every action has a reason, even if that action is a deplorable one.

Whitecrow

Banned
Believe me, seeing this thread and Reddit, I'm pretty sure that a lot of folks would have already caused WW3 to happen. They let their emotions show, they don't understand shit of geopolitics, all they know is to make posts on Instagram saying thoughts and prayers while giving their 2 cents on something they clearly don't understand. You can make all the posts you want showing support, but don't call "Putin apologists" to people looking for answers. Clearly a lot of folks want war (Reddit and I would argue some here), they look for it as a way to provoke and confirm their hatred towards a certain region or different political views (the amount of posts I've seen regarding China is going to attack Taiwan soon is worrying). The amount of misinformation, lies, propaganda from both sides clearly clouds the mind of many many people. Some users here are looking at this in a more objective way, trying to see where this is coming from and where it's leading. Nothing wrong with that, doesn't make anyone a Putin supporter ffs

The West, for the sake of the world, is restraining itself and it's acting accordingly. I'm sorry for this Ukraine, your people don't deserve this, but WW3 can't be an option.

Every action has a reason, even if that action is a deplorable one.
Thats just everwhere.

Everyone with IQ deficiency would have started the WW3 already.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Flip that to the Russian perspective. Taking on civilians in Ukraine and an underpowered military is one thing. Going to nuclear war is another. It's a mutual concern on both sides.

Nukes are not the first thing that get used. India and China had minor skirmishes recently as well. Eventually you hope that cooler heads can prevail in the inner circle of both Russian and US leadership. Read up on the Cuban Missile Crisis sometime.

I think this situation has the potential to become even more dangerous, because I believe Putin is more insane and unreasonable than Khrushchev.

b0uncyfr0

Where's the source for sweden sending troops?

Honestly, ive thought about this a lot. I want a bigger power (prefferably alien) - to show up and give us an ultimatum : behave yourselves, or you can all be wiped out. Its obvious we will always kill each other. Maybe when we're threatenend with something we could never beat, we'll actually wisen the fuck up. Even then it might not be enough.

sinnergy

We are? I definitely haven't heard that. They're discussing if they should MAYBE send weapons, but troops I haven't heard anything about.
Found it :

Sweden provides military, technical and humanitarian assistance to Ukraine. Grateful to @SwedishPM for her effective support. Building an anti-Putin coalition together!
Володимир ЗеленськийВолодимир Зеленський

Maybe military, are not troops ?? I do read it like this ..

Last edited:

sinnergy

Aid yes, troops no, as far as I know. There's nothing about that in Swedish news, which there would be.
Well he worded it a bit strange .. not as he clearly says military, as lots of eu countries do the same but he says not enough .. why mention Sweden?

Last edited:
Found it :

Sweden provides military, technical and humanitarian assistance to Ukraine. Grateful to @SwedishPM for her effective support. Building an anti-Putin coalition together!
Володимир ЗеленськийВолодимир Зеленський

Maybe military, are not troops ?? I do read it like this ..
And how exactly do they intend to get them into a warzone that is encircled? Or do they think the refugees are going to take up arms?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And how exactly do they intend to get them into a warzone that is encircled?

They're not. There's absolute zero chance Sweden will send any troops. Like I said, AT MOST we will be sending weapons, but that's still being discussed, there's no decision on it yet (unless there is and we just haven't been told). But troops, no way.

sinnergy

And how exactly do they intend to get them into a warzone that is encircled?
Drop them in the night ? Special forces that come in as Ukrainian.. who knows, how do you think special forces join?

Ever heard of operation Market Garden ? Lots of options. If they want .

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Drop them in the night ? Special forces that come in as Ukrainian.. who knows, how do you think special forces join?

Ever heard of operation Market Garden ? Lots of options. If they want .

They don't want though. It's not happening. He's probably referring to weapons with "military assistance". But as far as I know that hasn't been decided yet either, Ukraine has just requested it.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Honestly the west should just carpet bomb putins tanks in ukraine and shoot his planes out of the air then laugh at the clown for not being able to do shit.

And in the meanwhile annex a part of Russia while at it.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
That's the thing. So what is preventing the bigger NATO nations from abandoning the whole agreement and just leave the rest of the eastern Europe (Poland, Baltics, Romania) to fend for themeselves when Russia decides to make the next bold step? Because it's as you say, who wants nuclear war? Putin seems to be perfectly fine with threatening with nuclear weapons.
Putin knows that NATO countries is a big no no. He will be committing suicide if that were the case. He has a rich life and rich buddies- they don’t want a wasteland to live in.
Xi says Putin agreed to peace talks.
How can the aggressor agree to peace talks? Lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
Putin knows that NATO countries is a big no no. He will be committing suicide if that were the case. He has a rich life and rich buddies- they don’t want a wasteland to live in.

He already threatened NATO countries when he said he wanted NATO go to back to the pre-1997 countries. Meaning he wants those Baltic states back.

MadAnon

He already threatened NATO countries when he said he wanted NATO go to back to the pre-1997 countries. Meaning he wants those Baltic states back.
This is exactly what I am talking about. Who says that the next ultimatum won't be "Get NATO troops out of Baltics now or you will face consequences like world has never seen before". And the same suspects are starting to talk about "Are Baltics really worth starting a nuclear war over?" I know it's tough but we just need to swallow this pill"

Last edited:

Priest helping out.

Not that long ago Ukraine was bullying Romania, occupying Snake Island, carving up the Danube Delta and taking away minority rights in Northern Bukovina. The other week they conveniently ignored the Romanian minority during the unity day.
I guess that's Eastern Europe in a nutshell - bullies bullying and being bullied while nobody in the West cares until it's too big to ignore.

TheMan

You know, I naively thought this kind of scenario was extremely unlikely given how commercially interconnected the world is these days, plus MAD.

But here we are.

dotnotbot

Don't fall for soviet propaganda. Those 'peace talks' only serve as a cover up, they will later say that they wanted peace but Ukraine wasn't interested.

Remainder that just before the invasion started they said that russian army will enter only the 'independent' republics. Even Ukraine didn't believe they would go for Kiev. Now it's the whole country because they want 'demilitarisation'. Tanks came from Belarus border side, there are clear evidences for that, yet Lukashenko says he's not involded. It's just a neverending chain of lies.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Honestly the west should just carpet bomb putins tanks in ukraine and shoot his planes out of the air then laugh at the clown for not being able to do shit.

And in the meanwhile annex a part of Russia while at it.

Thats what everyone wants to do, but knowing Russia they literally laid out that they will Nuke people who get involved. Thats what people are afraid of. Russia has fuck tons of nukes and they are willing to bomb their own people.

That's why this is a delicate situation. Ukraine to become part of NATO pledged to get rid of their Nuclear weapons which they did, and russia threatened NATO if they allowed UKRAINE TO BE part of NATO. WW3 has been talked about ever since COld war. To me WW3 is inevitable as the only way Russia would surrender is if we nuked them or had a special forces unit secretly put in with sleeper agents into Moscow to over throw them and give it back to the people of Russia or appoint someone.

I have a feeling if we play the long game, UKRAINE will be taken over, become part of Russia. With heavy sanctions and cutting all ties from Russia from rest of the world over time they would either surrender or starv/Die. Either people would leave, or possibly commit gynecide to overthrow Russian leaders.

Kenpachii

Let me guess... you do not live in the West.

I do, putin will never use nukes simple as that. What west and ukraine should do is fly freedom unmarked drones into russia and carpet bomb there militairy basisses then raid them on every side of there shores with drones everywhere. See how that little shit likes it when he's under fire everywhere without knowing who or what.

West is way to soft on putin.

Thats what everyone wants to do, but knowing Russia they literally laid out that they will Nuke people who get involved. Thats what people are afraid of. Russia has fuck tons of nukes and they are willing to bomb their own people.

That's why this is a delicate situation. Ukraine to become part of NATO pledged to get rid of their Nuclear weapons which they did, and russia threatened NATO if they allowed UKRAINE TO BE part of NATO. WW3 has been talked about ever since COld war. To me WW3 is inevitable as the only way Russia would surrender is if we nuked them or had a special forces unit secretly put in with sleeper agents into Moscow to over throw them and give it back to the people of Russia or appoint someone.

I have a feeling if we play the long game, UKRAINE will be taken over, become part of Russia. With heavy sanctions and cutting all ties from Russia from rest of the world over time they would either surrender or starv/Die. Either people would leave, or possibly commit gynecide to overthrow Russian leaders.

He won't nuke shit, the moment he nukes any city in europe, they will nuke the living shit out of him. He can't do shit. And he knows it. his ancient army is easily destroyed and dealt with. People sitting back and just taking it is exactly what putin is hoping for because he knows he's fucked if the west gets involved.

U just need to play his own game, start taking the fight to his boarders.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I do, putin will never use nukes simple as that. What west and ukraine should do is fly freedom unmarked drones into russia and carpet bomb there militairy basisses then raid them on every side of there shores with drones everywhere. See how that little shit likes it when he's under fire everywhere without knowing who or what.

West is way to soft on putin.

Putin would totally use nukes. SO would CHina, you are an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom